in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The File Placing Operation

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The File Placing Operation  (Read 2498 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
The File Placing Operation
« on: June 16, 2008, 06:14:05 PM »

Was wondering what the actual technique is when moving the uploaded compressed files from Filezilla to the board?

I know a number of you are involved in the operation of doing whatever is needed to keep the site functioning but that is about all my limited knowledge of the site knows.

From Filezilla a book is retreived and makes it on to the 'GAC last 25 list'. Is the 25list a purgatory holding station until it makes it to the Unsorted Files folder on the download site or are the files removed directly to the Unsorted Files folder and the 'GAC last 25 page' is just a service to the sites members?

Are all the books eventually removed from the unsorted and reclassified to cbz, then placed in their appropiate publishers folder?

Noticing some books that can be downloaded and are still in their Zipped classification not having made it to the cbz yet, I find the continuity of the cbz and always being able to be opened by the same software CDisplay and viewed the same is an enjoyable feature.

Recalling some mentioning other software they prefer, is CDisplay the recommended software with the idea that eventually all the books listed should be or will be able to be opened by it, CDisplay being the designated system?

If anyone has read many of the most I have made here on site they would know that I am a bonafide newbie in this whole downloading comics deal having previously no experience in the slightest and never having even heard of the names associated with such.

But dang man, I'll do whatever it takes to learn how to pan for the gold! ROAR!!!

Just a view to share toward the appreciation of continuity throughout the sites download viewing
potential. I know there are many many goldenage lovers outside the realms of the technologically experienced

sitting as way-novice computer folks out there on the fringes of cyberland who love to view and are willing to share their own goldenage books with the site

but just don't have the knowlegde or wherewith to learn what they might view as complex techniques to upload their  books.

dang, getting long winded again. Funny what sitting with a cup of java can do to a person.

Cheers and  appreciated thankyous to the builders and those involved in keeping this train on it's tracks. :)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 06:30:49 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: The File Placing Operation
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:58:30 PM »

Hey Rez thanks for the enthusiasm.  The only thing the admin of the site can do to make things any easier for a newb would be when and if they get the direct uploader fixed.  Since you already have figured out FTP it may even be easier than trying to learn the uploader.  CDisplay is simply a sequential image viewer.

When a comic makes it to the 25 list it should already be sorted into the right place.  The admin will take the file from your ftp folder, rename it if needed and place it where needed.  If the scanner has already changed it from zip to cbz it is one less step for them.  If they happen to leave a few as zip it is no big deal for most but there are some who have not learned how to make their extensions visible. 

Anything difficult to learn they really do have no control over but someone is always willing to help a newb.
JIM
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: The File Placing Operation
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 02:59:48 AM »

And help they have in that I for one received much tutelage from many here that assisted me in learning the ropes and it is appreciated.

And believe me you fellow newbies that might be out there reading this sitting on your stash of goldenage, if I can scan and upload a comic then you sure all can too. A bit of a learning curve as in anything new till you do it a few times and you become acclimated and it becomes easy.

Kind of like making your first million. snorK*

Is there a spell check function anywhere on the forum?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.