in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Fan translations

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Fan translations  (Read 5181 times)

MetalGearK

message icon
Fan translations
« on: July 19, 2013, 04:40:57 PM »

I've been enjoying some of the stuff in the Non-English section. I like the art, but in most cases have virtually no idea whats going on.
You can find fan translations of various games on different sites; so, how about beginning to translate some of these comics into English?
I'm sure there are many multilingual visitors to this site (I'm not one of them, unfortunately) that would be able to do so.
Of course it would go both ways also, adapting English language comics into other languages.
The end results could even be added to a new category on the site ('translations').
What does everyone think about this idea?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Fan translations
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

I don't think we could find time for that with all the other stuff going on and the mechanical translations are pretty duff.  I recently costed a pro translation from Italian to English and the cost was prohibitive. But I got around the problem by learning to read some non-English languages.  Being retired, I have the time. The difference between being able to read, or get an idea what is going on, in a foreign language is miles away from doing a translation.
There are piles of translations of manga available on other sites but we cannot host them here. 
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:25:49 PM »

I 100% agree

I think what would work is we have the comic as it is .. and beneath there is English (well let's start there) Just telling you the dialogue. Massive amount of work ... including a lot of coding my side .. but hey 
did EVERYONE see what Paw Broon said??? "Being retired, I have the time."

I will put it on the list as I think it is a REALLY cool idea ... meanwhile our retired admin with spare time ... we have some major work for you ... lol :)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 07:55:37 PM »

Aye, right.  I have the time to do lots of things.  It's just there are lots of things to do.  Gardening (we had our first courgettes and peas, plus a big harvest of courgette flowers - delicious coated in seasoned rice flour then fried in olive oil; shopping; cooking; trying to learn enough non- English to figure out some of the web sites I plunder; actually going out and meeting people; sitting in cafes - but only where they have good coffee; reading books; walking; occasional visits to the cinema; art galleries; slowly uploading stuff to CB+.
And I have a hospital appt. next week; a dentist appt. for an ooh nasty in 3 weeks; a long weekend in London - Tate and 30th Century Comics; our 40th anniversary in a couple of months and absolutely no idea about a suitable gift - and don't anyone say Black Terror#1 or something equally silly. 
That's why we are retired, to have all that free time!
What else was it you fancied having me do?
Oh, and 2 big weekend collector fairs in Glasgow in a month.  So me and Vince, Russell, Wee John and mebbee Colin from comicsuk will meet up for patter, Chinese food, coffee and buying of the odd comic.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 01:48:13 AM »

These have been termed scanilations. There are many available for non PD books  :( I do not know who the people are that have the time and ability. I thought about presenting this as to the Spanish teachers as a possible project for upper level students or extra credit.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »

I've read quite a few Spanish comics, and tried to figure out how to present a translation.  I began one project with blanking out word balloons and trying to insert English dialogue, but that was arduous.  I was thinking maybe of writing out the dialogue in script form, panel by panel, and suggesting an addition to the end of the scan.  The problem with this, though, is in the logistics of bouncing back and forth if you're reading online, or perhaps requiring a print out if you download.  (perhaps a translation-print out section or link with the title ?)

An excellent title for this experiment would be the Bill Kraker comic, recently posted, which isn't dialogue heavy.  Like Stephen said, though, it's a matter of time. 

I'm currently teaching first and second year Spanish, and I don't believe my kids have the requisite skills to handle this stuff.  A lot of the pubs are from the 1950's. There are a lot of idioms used in these comics which are not commonly used today.  I will present this idea to the Spanish 3-4 teacher, as soon as they hire one. 

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »

I am wondering if a page by page text translation ... or maybe just a precis of what is going on that appears under the page ... sort of a bit like subtitles ... just a thought.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 05:17:59 PM »

I guess everyone has to decide for themselves how big a project they want to take on--but it seems like biting off more than you can chew--best to do it in bite size pieces.

Starting out by writing a synopsis of each story would be a start. But speaking from experience even this is a daunting task.

In addition to that, I would advise writing a transcript in the original language for each story. The good thing about text online is you can highlight it, copy it and put it into a search engine. I just recently spent time reading a German thesis paper by my friend in Austria. I could copy small portions of the text into my favourite online translator site--although even that only helped without 60% of the text. But from that and my understanding of German I could get the gist of the work (and thankfully my friend's paper was strong on data, with charts and diagrams).

Since the text in a comic book word balloon or caption is not computer readable text, there's no way to copy that into a translator in one easy motion. You have to painstakingly copy all the words (with the proper accents) before putting that into the translator. So a transcript would resolve that problem.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 04:45:59 AM »

Some crazy narf just did a scanilation. I took the first story the origin of Captain Jupiter and translated. It is now ready to download in the El Capitan Jupiter section of the Spanish books. You all better enjoy this because it was a lot of work!
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:48 AM »

Good job! How long did that take??

As for
biting off more than you can chew
it certainly is. Just pondering .... but it's got to be done at some point and a leisurely one a week or so will at least give summat at the end of the year. And will speed up once know the best way. My main concern would be to nail it first time ... well at least get all the text in a text file and securely looked after. Would be gutting to do it all twice!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »

I did it in bits and pieces but I would say a couple hours. It was a first time and a trial. I am sure that I would improve the quality if not the time factor next time. It is much easier to translate a comic book than a text story. I am sure everyone knows that a word for word translation would be pretty bad. With a comic, and having a read just a few over my lifetime, I have an idea of what is going on and can translate the meaning not just the words. Some were a little hard to understand which way the meaning was going. I may try to finish the issue. I did the Spanish/English together on purpose. I would love to learn Spanish and I am sure there are others who would like to improve theirs. By having the two together you can do your own mental comparison and hopefully learn from it. While some might see my actions as wasting time on a comic book I see it as a more fun way to learn Spanish.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:01:13 AM »

I did the second Captain Jupiter story. I did it a different way to make it look better. Let me know which you like best. These do not seem to be getting downloaded much for all the work they are. I hope people are reading them.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 04:37:34 PM »

Gie's a brek, please.  I'm up tae ma oxters in comics.  Sorry. I'm trying to say that I read it on the reader but haven't got round to downloading yet.  I will.  Now I have to go and compare it to the next one. It seems like a lot of work.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 04:58:16 PM »

Hm, mebbe i should try translatin' that 'Merican stuff into good ol' Canajan English, eh? Ev'ry one knows them folks from the States don't know how t' talk right.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »

"Ev'ry one knows them folks from the States don't know how t' talk right. "
Oh yes! ;D
The 2nd test between England and Australia just finished (yes, I know we're Scottish and shouldn't be enjoying all that English twaddle, but it's a tad better than soccer.  Unlike baseball, cricket is a game for real men!  Alright, I love baseball as well, I admit it) and we've been listening to Australians commentating and commenting - great accents, and Glen McGrath turns out to be a nice bloke. Who'd a thunk it?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 07:16:32 PM »

It is a whole lot of work. Typing it into Google translate is the easy part. Then I have to take the translation and translate it into what makes sense to the story. Not always easy. Then I have to figure out how to put it on the page and make it as unobtrusive as possible. IT IS A LOT OF WORK. The idea of doing a translated page would be so much easier but I do not think it would be as affective.
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2013, 01:34:29 AM »

Well I think you do a great job. Keep up the good work. Too bad you can't do Italian yet.

RB
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2013, 01:39:42 AM »

Thanks Richard. I do want to finish the last story in CJ #1
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.