in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,824 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Download All Of The Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Download All Of The Comics  (Read 5235 times)

sngreco

message icon
Download All Of The Comics
« on: July 30, 2013, 04:58:53 PM »

Hello,

Is it possible to download the entire 19,000 comic collection in a single shot?  Perhaps I could mail out a hard drive or something to copy it on?  I'd be willing to compensate for somebody's time.

Jeremiah
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Download All Of The Comics
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 06:23:13 PM »

Nope, Each file has to downloaded one at a time with a two minute wait between downloads. This applies to newbies and admins alike.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 07:20:06 PM »

And that is true ... we are so democratic that admins have exactly the same download rights as members. That just seems fair.

But I guess we could give you all the downloads ... call it 5 dollars a pop  ... round it up and I'd quote $100k

Seems reasonable to me :) Nice try and have fun!
ip icon Logged

sngreco

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 05:27:41 PM »

Who owns the site?  Is there by chance a number I could call?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:54:12 PM »

No number.  These names you see on the forum are it.  We're all amateurs devoted to the cause of  preserving as much comics history as we can.  It's hard, time consuming work and even the scanners and contributors uploading literally hundreds of files have to download 1 file at a time with the 2 minute delay between downloads.
That's the way it is.
Or, you could do your own internet searches and find umpteen sites where you can download as much, as quickly, as you want, or that your machine can cope with.
By the way, I don't know when you would find the time to read 19000 files. At 20 a day (and some of these files are really big, so it would be less), it would take 950 days minimum.  I'm not sure you'd ever get through them.  And unless you read a number of non-English languages, you certainly will have problems.
You do realise that there is a reader on site and when you choose a book, you can read it without downloading it?  Then, if it is to your taste, you can click the download button.  That way you get what really appeals to you.  If you are interested in the comics, that would seem a sensible solution for you.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 06:57:03 PM »

I guess I am the sort of owner ... but I really don't think of it that way. Seems a reasonable quote to me.

Also look in the help section, at the bottom I have put a figure for the whole site :)

Just enjoy!

Best regards,

Mark
ip icon Logged

sngreco

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 08:02:19 PM »

My goal with the content is to convert your entire site onto my new comic platform and offer it for free to readers.  You can think of it as a mirrored site, but each comic will be tailored for the device it is being viewed on, similar to how Comixology has Guided View.

Here's some more info if you have the time:
http://www.bananallc.com/comin/ (General info on Comin Project with list of some major features)

Demos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eue4Sr2IZTE (Rono - First Comin Ever)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuEh4ewFNxY (Snow By Night - Traditional Full Page Comic)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g95YjJW7CXE (Penny Arcade - Comic Strip)
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2013, 10:16:08 PM »

Hi,

I sort of don't want us to be "converted" or "mirrored". Am quite happy plodding along building our new bits and facing the future as CB+.

BUT as a fellow developer I genuinely REALLY do wish you the best in your endeavors. It's a hard life we lead!

Regards,

Mark
PS: That is a nice final NO :)
ip icon Logged

sngreco

message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 02:24:50 AM »

Mark,

Thanks for your time and patience.  If you ever change your mind let me know.

Jeremiah
jgreco@bananallc.com
ip icon Logged

pikeprof

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 06:21:22 AM »

I jus' wanna read superhero comics I never read before.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.