in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

NARFSTAR's offerings

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

topic icon Author Topic: NARFSTAR's offerings  (Read 320622 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Spadger Isle
« Reply #1075 on: January 20, 2014, 06:29:41 PM »

I am  not a fan of US comics like Sparkler or ACE that had just a couple of pages for each feature and they continue. Likewise I am not a fan of the British Story papers. BUT I collected the comic strip feature from Wizard from 549-665 for everyone's enjoyment.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: NARFSTAR's offerings
« Reply #1076 on: January 20, 2014, 07:29:41 PM »

Excellent.  But given some of the reading group comments on Rulah, this might also cause a bit of controversy ;) ::)
Actually the strip has been mentioned before on the forum.  I'll try to find examples of Kabots Klowns and Casey Court to contrast with the great Spadger Isle. ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1077 on: January 21, 2014, 04:21:22 AM »

Those Rulah comments are somewhat what spurred me on to collect the Spadger Isle. I figure things as a product of their times and how far we have come now.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Mickey Finn 6
« Reply #1078 on: January 31, 2014, 10:10:42 PM »

all narf needs edits
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
30 Charltons coming
« Reply #1079 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:34 PM »

I got 30 Charltons in the mail today. I got a book of cartoons called Everything is Ship Shape the other day and uploaded it today. Unfortunately it is not very funny. I will soon be uploading Gabby Hayes 56 edited. It will be followed by a lot more Charlton raw scans.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Wee Widsom
« Reply #1080 on: February 22, 2014, 05:27:47 AM »

Little religious magazine for kids. Has no copyright from 1959. Seems to be missing the center page.

Also another issue of Picture Progress v2 6

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1081 on: March 26, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »

Went to antique shops and found First Romance 38, The Kellys 24 and the Sinbad coloring book. I ask about this comic book rack, that was being used for books and magazines, and got it for $50
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1082 on: March 27, 2014, 04:18:10 PM »

That rack is so nostalgic and nowadays I never see them.  But I remember all the comics I bought from racks just like that one.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1083 on: March 27, 2014, 10:30:11 PM »

I thought $50 was a good price
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1084 on: March 30, 2014, 03:19:45 AM »

My favourite art book store is going out of business. Just a few doors down there was a comics and second hand books store that went out of business last fall.

The art bookstore has been picked clean. There were several books in there that I had been keeping my eye on for years--meaning to get them when they went on sale. In particular the books by Burne Hogarth, but those were all gone.

Most of the books I snatched up today will probably be presents for other folks, but I found this one book from D&Q. It's called NIPPER (1967 - 1968) by Doug Wright. This comic strip feature became DOUG WRIGHT'S FAMILY. I'd almost completely forgotten about this feature. It ran in THE CANADIAN MAGAZINE which was carried as a Sunday supplement in the newspaper for many years. 

But I think where I saw it was at the dentist or the doctor, when I was a kid. Waiting rooms back in the '60s would have these books that collected local comic strip features like NORRIS and JASPER--and probably DOUG WRIGHT'S FAMILY.

Apparently D&Q has published a whole set of Doug Wright books, but this was the only one I found in the store.

I'll have to add Doug Wright to my CAN COM 101 blog [although I hate opening up that blog, because it's loaded with so many pictures and it's real touchy--one wrong move and I can throw the formatting off completely].

The pleasure of NIPPER (and DOUG WRIGHT'S FAMILY) is that it's all pantomime--no words.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation has a flashback feature on Doug Wright at the CBC Digital Archives: Doug Wright's family.

I don't know if it will play for people outside Canada--and if it does play you'll have to put up with some ads and you'll have to bear with the guileless manner in which Canadians speak.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1085 on: March 30, 2014, 04:42:01 PM »

It plays for US citizens thanks
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1086 on: March 30, 2014, 05:01:49 PM »

Got the site but the video wont play. Ah well!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1087 on: March 30, 2014, 05:23:26 PM »

Ah, too bad--I guess it doesn't play across the pond. It's just a slice of life visit with Doug Wright and his family and gives a bit of background on how the strip developed--from the old TV newsmagazine TAKE 30 that used to play in the afternoons on CBC.

They cut the end of the clip rather abuptly--I wanted to see the next profile on Betty Nickerson, to see if this was the same Betty Nickerson who was my creative writing teacher back in the early '80s.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1088 on: May 09, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »

Battlefield Action 37 for another Charlton fill. I also found some comic strips to upload.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
3 Tex Ritters
« Reply #1089 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »

From coverless and in need of editing to straighten and crop are issues 24, 28 and 29.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1090 on: June 13, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »

Give us time, Narf, I just did another one of your Romantic Stories. ;-)
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1091 on: June 14, 2014, 05:13:16 AM »

The latest one is an ish of Strange Suspense Stories.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1092 on: June 15, 2014, 02:25:31 AM »

Much appreciated DM
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1093 on: June 16, 2014, 04:16:09 AM »

Check your uploads...new Teen-Age Love uploaded.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Cartoons by McCutcheon
« Reply #1094 on: June 16, 2014, 04:57:09 PM »

1904 you know it is PD  ;D
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1095 on: June 18, 2014, 03:41:57 PM »

Narf:  Have another Charlton for you and some edits on the damaged Captain Midnights.  Check the uploads.  Thanks.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1096 on: June 20, 2014, 06:38:32 AM »

Also just did one of your Tex Ritters.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #1097 on: June 20, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »

gracias
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1098 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »

Yet another Tex awaits you!
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1099 on: June 26, 2014, 08:31:56 AM »

And the Texas Rangers, too!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.