in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

NARFSTAR's offerings

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 46

topic icon Author Topic: NARFSTAR's offerings  (Read 320808 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: NARFSTAR's offerings
« Reply #775 on: August 05, 2010, 03:15:37 AM »

Boy that Boox is fast. It must be his psychic powers and he already knew what I was going to put up before I did.

I try...I'm also going to try and upload a few items before bed tonight!  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Front Page 1 thanks to JVJ
« Reply #776 on: September 02, 2010, 04:02:08 AM »

Had to finally get one up at least. From Harvey
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Western Picture Stories 1 and more
« Reply #777 on: October 02, 2010, 11:37:48 PM »

Finally put up is Western Picture Stories #1. Lost in ftp (remember this was during the time of my mom's passing) it is now available. Great eye popping edits by Hoover. Also a lot more Charlton picked up elsewhere and put here. You just have to get Go-Go. This should have been a big hit
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Western Picture Stories 1 and more
« Reply #778 on: October 02, 2010, 11:45:20 PM »

Finally put up is Western Picture Stories #1. Lost in ftp (remember this was during the time of my mom's passing) it is now available. Great eye popping edits by Hoover. Also a lot more Charlton picked up elsewhere and put here. You just have to get Go-Go. This should have been a big hit

A Centaur comics? What a nice after nap surprise, Narf!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Power Comics 1 from JVJ
« Reply #779 on: October 15, 2010, 02:59:54 PM »

Finally got a book done and it is a good one. In 300 PPI goodness
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #780 on: October 15, 2010, 07:08:24 PM »

Holy Heck, narf...I'm gonna get me some of that when I get home today....looks sweet from the cover!  300 DPI?  Are you upping the ante?  I've got to get me a faster scanner....at 200 DPI, my scans take me FOREVER!
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #781 on: October 15, 2010, 09:21:27 PM »

Don't think I've heard of Power Comics before. Looks good. Can't wait to get home and download it.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #782 on: October 15, 2010, 11:49:04 PM »

Holy Heck, narf...I'm gonna get me some of that when I get home today....looks sweet from the cover!  300 DPI?  Are you upping the ante?  I've got to get me a faster scanner....at 200 DPI, my scans take me FOREVER!

Builder, I do all my scans a 300 dpi and it takes 3 minutes per page with my scanner, that's with a pre-scan, for adjustments, straightening pages, etc.

Is that slow?

Geo
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #783 on: October 16, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »

Bb, for comparison, my Epson GT 15000 does two comic pages at 300 ppi in less than one minute and it's pretty quiet. It's not especially cheap, but there are other Epsons, like my V500 which cost less than $200, is instant on, practically silent, uses an LED scanning array and scans up to 6400 ppi. Only 8.5" x 11.7" but easily does one comic page at 300 ppi in about 45 seconds.

And I KNOW I'm anal about this, but it's PIXELS per inch or Ppi. Dots per inch (Dpi) really makes no sense when you're talking about digital scans. If you work with pixels and think in pixels, it's better to TALK in pixels, too.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #784 on: October 16, 2010, 12:43:58 PM »

Heya Jim!  How is France treating you? Any highlights from your trip to Les Invalides?

Regarding scanners, I have been on the lookout for a scanner that had a larger bed, but do the vendors list the bed size on their advertisements? Heck, NO! That would be too easy.

I do some art on the side and wanted to be able to get 11 x 17 originals scanned for digital color. I suspect JVJ's scanner is that size, but for the most part, they want big bucks for them. I was hoping I could get one used on Amazon, but can't figure out how to get a list of model numbers to shop for.

Geo, I did try a 300 ppi scan (thank you Jim...dpi is a printer spec term, not a digital image spec) after your comment (on my puny HP all-in-one). It did take marginally longer...close to 2 minutes for positioning, pre-scan, scan, crop-and-straighten.  That wasn't so bad as the file size. Previously, edited images were around 18 Mb...now they are 42 Mb! Yikes!  A 68 page book would weigh in at over 2 Gb!!!!

Another drama will be the finish product size. I find that at compression time, I need to go down to 15% to get the jpeg under 1 Mb! A 68-page book will end up over 60 Mb! Does that worry anybody?

I do recognize that these books aren't getting any younger, and opportunities like what JVJ are providing might not come again, so this is a 'no compromise' situation. So...there it is. I'm stepping up my quality.  I am converting to 300 PPI, and now have to figure a way to archive these monsters to DVD to get them off my hard drive after publishing.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #785 on: October 16, 2010, 05:14:51 PM »

Builder, here's a couple of shots of Jim's scanner, it's bigger then it look in the pictures by the way.

Also I'm sorry too about the dpi instead of ppi Jim, my bad.
I guess my scanners pretty slow too, or it's just me doing all those adjustments.

Geo
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #786 on: October 16, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »

Here's the report on our trip so far, bb,
http://www.bpib.com/paris/2010-Fall/part-one.html
well, the first two weeks, anyway.

This Wednesday we went to the Moebius: Trans-Form
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #787 on: October 16, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

Moebius has never been my cup of tea
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #788 on: October 17, 2010, 12:02:44 PM »

I got my introduction to Moebius through Heavy Metal. (Richard Corben and Simon Bisley as well).  I liked the quirkiness of the tone, and the anti-superhero-ness of the art.  When Moebius did the Silver Surfer 2-part for Marvel, I thought he brought a grace to the character that most befitting him.

I had always seen the Blueberry series out there, but had never picked up any of it for a read...a Western...is it not?

Charles Vess exhibit...very cool, JVJ. Vess' work holds a special place in my heart. Right up there with P Craig Russell and Barry Windsor Smith.  I love the Invalides shots. Wonderful stuff.
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #789 on: October 17, 2010, 12:07:02 PM »

...and p.s. - found that I can buy the Epson GT 15000 for $300, so I am saving my scheckles. Thanks for the model # JVJ.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #790 on: October 17, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »

I looked at the Epson prices online also. There appears to be a large and regular size bed. If you are wanting to do two pages at once make sure it is the larger size. I would love to have one also
ip icon Logged

builderboy

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #791 on: October 18, 2010, 01:37:10 PM »

I looked at the Epson prices online also. There appears to be a large and regular size bed. If you are wanting to do two pages at once make sure it is the larger size. I would love to have one also

You are right, narf. While 4 vendors are offering the Epson GT 1500, describing it as an 11x17 manual scanner, Epson's site gives the specs for the GT 1500 as a smaller platten device with a document feeder. Jim has the 15000, not the 1500. Sounds like Epson poor choice of similar model #'s has led to confusion among the vendors.

Damn.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #792 on: October 18, 2010, 01:47:48 PM »

They may actually be selling the GT 15000, bb,
you might want to contact them and ask for a clarification. Epson offers a refurbished unit for $760, so  you should be able to find one elsewhere for much less than that. It's a great scanner for comics, and comes with a "lite" edition of Photoshop - at least mine did.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #793 on: October 20, 2010, 01:28:14 PM »

Liberty Scouts 002 upgrades only
Liberty Scouts 002 paper

Narf,

I don't understand, of course I haven't downloaded either yet, but is one mainly paper, while the other is mainly fiche?  ???

B.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #794 on: October 20, 2010, 06:45:37 PM »

Liberty Scouts 002 paper

Narf,

I don't understand, of course I haven't downloaded either yet, but is one mainly paper, while the other is mainly fiche?  ???

B.

One is paper and one is a fiche copy boox. But the problem seems to be that the paper copy is missing at this time from the downloading site, we only have the fiche available at this time. I added a note on this to the paper copy as to being unavailable at this time.

MY BAD THE PAPER COPY IS UP, MISSING THE FC, ISFC, ISBC AND OSBC, THE FICHE COPY IS MISSING. Sorry about the confusion on this, I just checked with the fiche/paper copy we have on DCM.

Geo
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 07:00:55 PM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #795 on: October 20, 2010, 06:53:03 PM »

Liberty Scouts 002 paper

Narf,

I don't understand, of course I haven't downloaded either yet, but is one mainly paper, while the other is mainly fiche?  ???

B.

One is paper and one is a fiche copy boox. But the problem seems to be that the paper copy is missing at this time from the downloading site, we only have the fiche available at this time. I added a note on this to the paper copy as to being unavailable at this time.

Geo

Okay, I knew something was off...Narf will get to it. OY!!!!!  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #796 on: October 20, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »

Liberty Scouts paper is cover to cover with only 6 pages of fiche. The upgrades only are the paper copies of the old fiche only. This way if someone already has the old paper/fiche issue they can just get the upgrades.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #797 on: October 20, 2010, 09:08:05 PM »

Narf, with your JVJ book scan on it, did Jim have a info card that went with the book? By the way I'll add the file to DCM, with adding in the missing pages from the old file we have. Just add your name to it as the uploader and scanner along with JVJ if that's ok with you.

Geo
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 09:14:18 PM by Geo »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #798 on: October 20, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »

Full copy is currently uploading to DCM. No card
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #799 on: October 20, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »

Full copy is currently uploading to DCM. No card

Then I'll be on the lookout for it Narf, thanks.

Geo
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 46

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.