in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Introducing myself

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 2241 times)

aashton77

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: aashton77
message icon
Introducing myself
« on: July 03, 2008, 03:08:30 PM »

I have been downloading from this site for about two weeks now, and loving every minute of it.  I am especially enjoying Bob Powells work.  I am also in love with futara from planet comics.  Do we know for sure what artist and author worked on this serial?  Was it finished off in any other Fiction House comic?
Any one able to load up joe palooka 15 with the womba powell story?
Oh, I am a high school teacher in history and art, and when carefully selected, I have found many of these golden age tales to be fascinating.  I'm sorry I am to young to have boughten any of these original comics.  On this site I will be a consumer, not a provider, but I appreciate every one else's hard work.
Another question, if these works are in the public domain, does that mean I could have my student's write and draw Jet Power stories, or Avenger stories? 
Alan Ashton :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 07:20:14 PM »

Hello from another teacher.  Algebra in my case.  Check out some of the other threads on what it means to be public domain.  If it is public domain you can copy it all you want.  The characters however may still be trademarked.  If they are still trademarked you can use them but not promote the characters or name on the covers or elsewhere.
ip icon Logged

aashton77

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 11:59:35 PM »

Thanks for welcoming me,
I will look into public domain, as I think some of my art kids might be interested.  If you have any suggestions for golden age characters that might appeal to today's kids, please let me know.
Alan Ashton :D :D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:02:51 AM »

True Comics contain some great true stories.  Stamp Comics would be real interesting for a history teacher.  It takes a picture from a real stamp and tells a story about what was on it.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 01:06:15 PM »

Depending on their age, there might be some appreciation for the strips in Centaur's Amazing Man title.  A-Man himself (in the earlier stories) has...personality issues (without giving too much away) that he needs to overcome; his origin starts in Tibet, too, which is once again a trendy topic.  The Iron Skull usually has a two-fisted feel without being overly violent.  Mighty Man strongly (and intentionally) resembles the Tall Tales of the colonial period.  The Shark has some fun interplay between father and son.  The rest of the strips are sort of bland, but it might be a good title to get your feet wet with more obscure characters.

Books from Ajax and Magazine Enterprises might also be fair game, though I can't think of anything that stands out.

Oh!  There's also Lev Gleason's Daredevil, of course, who has a visually striking costume and, once Charles Biro takes over, often gives a realistic (well, realistic-seeming to a guy currently in his thirties, at least) view of daily life in the '40s.  Then he gets edged out of his own book by his kid sidekicks, the poor guy.  (But he fares better than Green Lantern did at DC--he was bumped out by his DOG!)
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 07:02:28 PM »

Not as bad as losing out to a bunch of kids or a dog (!) but another couple of DC Golden Agers were pushed out by a pair of gals.

Johnny Thunder had his strip taken over by the Black Canary in Flash Comics and over at Star-Spangled-Comics 'the kid' of that name lost out to Merry, Girl of 1000 Gimmicks and just to REALLY rub it in Merry was the Kids sister !  ::)

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

aashton77

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 09:51:32 PM »

I had not checked this for awhile, so I apologize for not thanking all the efforts made by responders. I'll have fun researching these  suggestions

Alan
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.