in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Remaining Captain Marvels

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Remaining Captain Marvels  (Read 3162 times)

k9feline

message icon
Remaining Captain Marvels
« on: December 04, 2013, 08:45:59 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, I'm really excited to come across this site when it has nearly all of the classic Captain Marvel and Family comics from Fawcett. I don't know if this makes any difference, but I'd like to make a request for the remaining Shazams. I've made a list of the remaining comics based on what I found in the Grand Comics Database.

First here are the remaining comics from the regular series that aren't up yet:

Captain Marvel Adventures #s 41, 42
Captain Marvel Storybook # 3
Captain Marvel, Jr. #s 9, 14, 86
Mary Marvel #s 19, 20, 27
Master Comics #s 44, 104, 116, 124
Wow Comics #s 29, 37

And how cool is it that in a multiple series of more than 600 comics, this site has all but 15 of them!

Next, limited series this site hasn't put up any issues of yet:

Xmas Comics #s 1-7
Gift Comics #s 1-4
Captain Marvel and the Lieutenants of Safety #s 1-3

I'm reasonably sure Xmas and Gift are just reprints. If they are, scratch them off my list.

Finally, there's the one-shots. I'll list them by year and alphabetically:

Holiday Comics

All Hero Comics

Captain Marvel Adventures Well Known Comics
Captain Marvel, Jr. Well Known Comics

Captain Marvel and the Raiders of Space
Captain Marvel, Jr.: The Case of the Poison Press
Whiz Comics Wheaties Miniature Edition

Captain Marvel and the Stolen City
Captain Marvel Meets the Weather Man

I left out any one-shot that the Grand Comics Database confirmed were reprints. Again, if any of the above are reprints (I'm pretty sure that Holiday Comics is, I don't know about any of the others) you can scratch them off my list.

If my preferences make any difference, than the earlier the better, so I can read them all from start to finish.

I can't wait!  ;D
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Remaining Captain Marvels
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:57:42 PM »

Well, of these, Captain Marvel Adventures 41 and 42 are scanned, just not here on site, DCM does have them, they were just missed.

Of the others, the best chance is to see the Masters, Wow and Mary Marvels appear at some time, as sources have apparently been found for them, but when they will be done is anybody's guess.
ip icon Logged

k9feline

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 12:07:09 AM »

Since I just got here, what does DCM stand for?
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 12:10:03 AM »

ip icon Logged

k9feline

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 08:34:54 PM »

Great news!

While looking up the one-shots on google, I was able to confirm to my satisfaction that Captain Marvel and the Raiders of Space, ...and the Stolen City, ...Meets the Weatherman, and Captain Marvel Jr.: The Case of the Poison Press were all reprints. I was also able to find that you already have the Well Known Comics versions of CMA and CMJ under a different publisher. They look suspiciously like reprints. I'll keep that an eye out for these stories as I read the normal CMA and CMJ issues, but that's my concern, not yours.  :)

This means that the ONLY one-shots you don't have up yet are All Hero Comics and the Whiz Comics Wheaties Giveaway (I'll assume Holiday Comics is reprints unless I hear otherwise).

Which means that in a huge series of comics that lasted 14 years and over 600 comics, you only have 20 left to put up! (Again, I'll assume Gift Comics and Xmas Comics are nothing but reprints unless I hear otherwise).
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »

Please list any reprints you find at www.comics.org for the GCD. I have been trying to find the originals for the Spanish reprints we have. I am listing them in the comments for future addition to the GCD
ip icon Logged

k9feline

message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 02:19:24 AM »

In the first place, I don't actually have any reprint comics. I was just able to confirm through google that these comics were reprints. Raiders of Space is from Captain Marvel Adventures # 20, The Case of the Poison Press is from Captain Marvel, Jr. # 13, Stolen City is from CMA # 87, and Meets the Weatherman is from CMA # 80. I hope that helps.

Now I'd like to include a request for when I come across a flawed copy that's on this site and needs a better copy. I've gone over a quick survey of all the Captain Marvel comics this site has (a survey that took several weeks) and I've noticed some flaws, either in the copy that was scanned or where errors were made in the scanning. Either way, the flaws get in the way of reading the stories. I will list these flaws as I find them while going over the series.

First:

Whiz Comics # 5

There's a tear in the top corner of (internet) pages 5 and 6. This tear blocks out most of Billy Batson's speech balloon on page 5 and all of the gangster's speech balloon on page 6.

I'll point out more flaws as I get to them in my read of the whole series.
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 02:32:57 AM »

point away, although I probably wouldn't expect anything to come of them
ip icon Logged

k9feline

message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2014, 04:22:30 AM »

Another flaw is in the one-shot, Special Edition Comics. On internet page 65 (comic page 63), a tear on the left corner of the page obscures part of Captain Marvel's speech balloon.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.