in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

scan wrinkles

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: scan wrinkles  (Read 4262 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
scan wrinkles
« on: August 01, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »

Ran into an unexpected snag and am having difficulties finding the cause of the problem.
Scanning this plasticman60 as normal, meaning everything set the same and same process and same results.
But when resizing and saving using the same settings as before the finished product comes out having a wrinkled look on the save.
Anyone been here before and give some advice?
Thanks
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: scan wrinkles
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 04:10:25 PM »

Hard to see what you mean in the pic Rez.
What app are you using to save with or are you doing it with the scanner?

I scan Large and save with TIFF, do my edits and resave smaller using Irfanview.
An excellent and FREE application.

Do a google to find it.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:40:57 PM »

Irfanview is what I use. Summary is what was done before is not giving the same quality as before.
I see this scan is at 157KBs so maybe there is an answer lying in there somewhere.
Thanks.

Edited to add that the problem was in the 'save quality' in 'JPG/GIF save options' had somehow been moved and was at 27.

OK, I'm learning. Thanks again.

Hard to see what you mean in the pic Rez.
What app are you using to save with or are you doing it with the scanner?

I scan Large and save with TIFF, do my edits and resave smaller using Irfanview.
An excellent and FREE application.

Do a google to find it.
-Yoc
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:50:48 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

loftypilot

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: loftypilot
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 05:07:27 PM »

Rez, I'm sure you're onto something there with discovering that you're going to have to increase the saved size of your scans more than you attempted with this Plastic Man.  Under a couple of hundred kb often just doesn't quite do it I'm afraid.  I hope this is the only thing for you that needs to be covered a bit.  Without being there with you it's hard to suggest anything more.   Keep at it and you'll get back in the groove.  Meanwhile I found an old copy of my own PM60 and have uploaded the ifc, ibc, and bc to your ftp folder to go with the front cover there.  Feel free to make any adjustments to them to wish to match your final scans.  And sorry the ifc is in pretty bad shape, but some would say it's better than nothing to get a cover to cover scan out, eh?

Good luck with the problem.

--Loftypilot Dan 
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »

Rez you may want to up the resolution to at least 150 dpi or better, (I use 300 dpi for my original scans, then I can drop the resolution to 150 when saving the finished file or just save it at around 700-750k with 300 dpi), then the 96 dpi which the "test" scan above is at. That should help some.

The only time I've seen anything like this is when you take a Gif (which is 256 colors, 72 dpi) and say blow it up some and change the colors to 32k+, and up the resolution to 150-300 dpi. Then the colors can look pretty much smudged/blocky as in your picture above.

Hope this help you some too, good luck with clearing this up Rez.

Geo
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:19:57 PM »

I think Rez already figured it out.  It's the JPEG compression quality.

For the nontechnical, JPEG makes files smaller by finding "similar" pixels, especially in "boring" parts of the image, and calling them the same color.  Similarity and boredom, in this case, depends on the quality you set in the software.  A lower quality means more pixels look the same, leading to squishy-looking "bands" in the image.

If you methodically mess around with the quality settings on a few images of the same type (like comic book pages), you can get a feel for how low the quality can go before it spoils your scanning job.  But I guess those of you scanning already must know that, otherwise we'd be looking at icky scans ("It Came from the Early 1990s!" coming soon to a theater near you).
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 11:20:39 PM »

Yep, I know exactly what Rez is looking at and he certainly needs to bump the save quality number higher.
After that I'd think his problem is fixed.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »

Cool beans, now we'll have a c2c ish and the PlasticMan list is another step closer to completion.

You'all need to give yerselves a pat on the back.

Rez, I'm sure you're onto something there with discovering that you're going to have to increase the saved size of your scans more than you attempted with this Plastic Man.  Under a couple of hundred kb often just doesn't quite do it I'm afraid.  I hope this is the only thing for you that needs to be covered a bit.  Without being there with you it's hard to suggest anything more.   Keep at it and you'll get back in the groove.  Meanwhile I found an old copy of my own PM60 and have uploaded the ifc, ibc, and bc to your ftp folder to go with the front cover there.  Feel free to make any adjustments to them to wish to match your final scans.  And sorry the ifc is in pretty bad shape, but some would say it's better than nothing to get a cover to cover scan out, eh?

Good luck with the problem.

--Loftypilot Dan 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.