in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Help On Scanning Fiche

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Help On Scanning Fiche  (Read 5480 times)

Powder Solvang

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Powder Solvang
message icon
Help On Scanning Fiche
« on: August 08, 2008, 10:57:25 PM »

I've seen a lot of microfiche scans here and elsewhere. The quality of the images can range from pretty good to barely readable.
I have a lot of fiche both from Microcolor and others I got from collectors that I would like to digitize.
My questions to anyone who has experience scanning fiche:
What features to look for in a microfiche scanner?
What are good makes and models?
Any special techniques to use when scanning comic fiche to get the best results?
Thanks!  :)
ip icon Logged

cimmerian32

• VIP
message icon
Re: Help On Scanning Fiche
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »

The only things I know are specifics that Rolster gave me when I did the edit for Boy Comics #14...  scanned in at 4800 dpi, saved as TIFF...  then edited with Photoshop (some experimentation will be necessary here, which only you can do, as the photographic quality of each fiche varies...)... 

What titles do you have?  You might want to check with Rolster or Yoc or Darkmark to see what is already being worked on, and what still needs to be found...

As to scanner hardware, I do not have a clue as to the best available...  again, Rolster, Yoc and Darkmark would probably be the ones to ask...

Hope this helps a little,
Cimm
ip icon Logged

Powder Solvang

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Powder Solvang
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2008, 01:13:03 PM »

Thank you for those suggestions, Cimm.
Actually a lot of what I have is not pd and can't be uploaded here. I would be scanning that for my personal use.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 05:10:49 PM »

Contact me in a PM with a list of what you've got Powder and I'll let you know if it's been scanned already or not.
I can also get you in contact with Rolster who is among the most experienced at scanning fiche.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

brian

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 12:22:16 AM »

Rolster has a ton of knowledge related to scanning fiche.

I have a little experience editing some of his scans. One thing you need to do is not go for pure white when colour leveling. Off white / cream is better. And if you can colour fill (since they are generally all 4 colour comics), do that as well. That way you are more likely to get a better final product. Rolster complained a few times on some initial scans that I did that were too bleached. Hey, you learn by doing.  ;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 02:56:45 PM »

Since AFAIK Rolster disappeared only Darkmark has been doing any fiche scanning.
I've got a few scans by Loftypilot still to edit but that will have to wait on other projects on the go.
Having a scanner capable of doing 4800 dpi sounded like the most important requirement.  Then just getting it to focus correctly was the next step and from what I gather not an easy thing to do either.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 07:27:24 PM »

Ontology is quite an accomplished fiche scanner as well.  Unfortunately, I know Onto has been very tied up at work and with family for the past four months.  Perhaps after Christmas, he'll reappear with some help.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »

Oh of course, Ontology is one of the best scanners and editors of fiche!
My apologies Ont!  GL with real life.  :)

-Yoc the forgetful
ip icon Logged

brian

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 03:12:47 AM »

Rolster was working through... Qnext? He is still on the hubs. I have seen his nick on the rare times I am on. I haven't talked to him in a year though.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 04:21:51 AM »

Thanks for the info Brian.
He hasn't been on Qnext in months.  It was only weekends by the end and then nothing.
I'll have to check for him on DC++ at some point.  If you see him please ask him to send me a Private Message would you?  Thanks.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »

Here's a text file that I got from Rolster on how he scans fiche for anyone curious.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.