in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Fantagraphics Needs L.B. Cole

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Fantagraphics Needs L.B. Cole  (Read 1592 times)

mikecatron

message icon
Fantagraphics Needs L.B. Cole
« on: January 23, 2014, 07:17:34 AM »

Hello forum members!

I sent out an email version of this today to folks who have already helped out with our L.B. Cole project. This is slightly more detailed -- 'cause I know you guys like details!

This email is going to everyone who has become involved with or referred to our L.B. Cole project by one means or another. We are still hoping to get a few more scans. We're down to just three we really want to print as oversize pages in the book (from the original list of 30 -- thanks!)

Frisky Animals #45 (earlier mis-identified as Frisky Fables #45)
KrazyLife #1 (doesn't anybody have this?)
Manhunt #4

These should be in extra-high resolution. The specs we need them at:
405 ppi
100%
RGB
.tif
scanned "bare" out of the mylar (excepting GCD-slabbed comics; do the best you can on those)
(ppi=dpi) (600 /ppi/dpi is fine, too)

We're looking for other covers, as well. These are less critical and would be perfectly fine at 300 ppi/dpi. Here's an incomplete list:
All-Famous Crime #5
All-Famous Police Cases #09
All-Famous Police Cases #11
Blue Bolt v9#6 (nov/dec 1948)
Blue Bolt Weird Tales of Terror #113
Captain Flight #7
Captain Flight #8
Catman Comics #25 (9/1944)
Confessions of Love #6
Dick Cole #3
Dick Cole #7
Four Favorites #13 (2/1944)
Frisky Animals #51
Horrors, The #11
Horrors, The #14
Jungle Thrills 3-D #1
Power Comics #1 (6/1944)
Super-Mystery #19 (1/1944)
Suspense Comics #5 (9/1944)
Suspense Comics #6
Target v09#12 (#102)
Target v10#2 (#104)
Thrilling Crime Cases #43
Thrilling Crime Cases #47
Toy Town Comics #1
True Crime Comics #5
World Around Us, The #3

Interior Story Splash Pages
Journey to Igoor (7 pgs), Suspense #2
Black Venus, Contact #3
Boomerang splash, Terrific #5
Miss Victory, Captain Aero #6
The Sword 2-page splash, Super-Mystery v3#6
Paul Revere Jr. splash, Super-Mystery v3#5

And does anyone have one of these babies? These exist as proofs but it is believed they weren't made into covers.
Bold Comics 2
Flaming Romances 4
Gasoline Alley 3
Ship Ahoy 2
Suspense Comics #4 - Alternate Cover - Octopus Machine
Weird Jungle Tales 202

Also, we have a list of alleged Cole covers. Anyone know for sure?
Target Comics Vol 8 #10 back cover ad [possibly Al Fago? Front cover is Cole. jpg attached]
The World Around Us #4 (railroad engine cover) [Not indexed at comics.org]
Beware! Terror Tales #4 (Nov. 1952, Fawcett. Unlikely, since he was publishing Star Comics then. GCD Says Baily.)
Best From Boys' Life #5 [Painted cover. Believed to be Cole but not signed. Is #4 Cole? Are any others in that series by Cole? Not indexed at comics.org]
Captain Flight #6 [GCD says "Harvey. K. Fuller ?"]
Classics Illustrated Junior #501 [GCD says "Dik Browne ? (painting)]"
Crime Detector #5 [not credited on GCD]

We already have hundreds of Cole covers (most of the Catmans, for example and most of the major Star covers), so if you want to help with something that's not on the above list, write to me first before you spend any time and I'll let you know if we need it or need it in better condition.

I urge you to forward this request to anyone you know who might be able to help and post it on appropriate boards, blogs, etc. The first round was terrifically successful (thanks to everyone who helped) and we're hoping this time we can fill in the few remaining holes.

If what you have is too large to email, that's not a problem. We have an ftp site for you to upload to, you can use a Google shared folder (and give me download permission), you can use Dropbox, or you can use any of the other free large-file sharing sites. Dropbox and shared Google folders have been the most glitch-free.

If you'd rather we scan from a comic you're willing to entrust to us, we will pay FedEX and insurance costs both ways.

Thanks again. The response has been wonderful and I'm grateful for all you've done. We're just trying to make the book that much more stunning. It's unlikely there will ever be a second chance for Cole's remarkable art to be presented like this. All contributors will be acknowledged in the credits, so if you have already contributed a scan or two, please make sure I have your name if you want to be thanked in the book.

Yours in comics,
Mike Catron
Fantagraphics

mikecatron@fantagraphics.com
(206) 524-1967 x223
ip icon Logged

mikecatron

message icon
Re: Fantagraphics Needs L.B. Cole
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 10:12:47 PM »

Update: We now have

All-Famous Crime #5
Confessions of Love #6
Dick Cole #7
The Horrors #14
Jungle Thrills 3-D #1
Thrilling Crime Cases #47
The World Around Us #3

Thanks, and keep 'em coming!
ip icon Logged

mikecatron

message icon
Re: Fantagraphics Needs L.B. Cole
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:27 PM »

And we just got

Four Favorites #13 cover
Manhunt #13 cover
Manhunt #13 six page L.B. Cole interior story
Power #1 cover
Suspense #5 cover
Toytown #1 cover

Thanks so much. Still looking for those top three and the others listed in my original post.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.