in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Famous Funnies

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Famous Funnies  (Read 2808 times)

ClaireLucas

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: ClaireLucas
message icon
Famous Funnies
« on: August 18, 2008, 04:12:59 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm hoping someone here can help- I work for a children's publisher and we're producing a book on the history of comics.  We'd like to use an image of the Famous Funnies issue 1, but aren't sure if its PD or not?

We've sourced an image- but obviously won't be able to use it if it is still copyrighted- my understanding is that Eastern Color Printing are out of business-  so I don't know who to approach?

Any help would be much appreciated!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Famous Funnies
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 09:11:17 PM »

If it is available on this site then it is pd.  No bootleg books here.  We have later issues here so the earlier would be fine.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:39:05 PM »

That's not necessarily the case, actually.  Aussie has spoken with a couple of copyright holders to allow their work to appear here (with disclaimer and credit), though I can't think of any examples.  And also, though Aussie usually refuses a book from a series with even one copyright, renewal or a lack of renewal on one issue doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the renewals for any other issue in the series.

The copyright on an issue also might not cover the copyright for the specific image, if it was copyrighted separately.

That all said, I'm fairly sure (for reasons deeply buried in the previous paragraph...) that the entire series is public domain and I seriously doubt Eastern Color copyrighted any of the covers.

(As a backup, check with your company's lawyer and see if he thinks it would qualify as Fair Use.  In a book about comic history, you should be able to plausibly use any image you like, as long as it's not too many or too complete a duplicate.)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 12:50:57 AM »

I know that, for the most part, we don't have Famous Funnies here because of the Buck Rogers reprints.  The Famous Funnies themselves are PD but the material they reprint may not be.  That's why a lot of the Dell material is prohibited, as well.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »

Hi guys,
I'm hoping someone here can help- I work for a children's publisher and we're producing a book on the history of comics.  We'd like to use an image of the Famous Funnies issue 1, but aren't sure if its PD or not?

We've sourced an image- but obviously won't be able to use it if it is still copyrighted- my understanding is that Eastern Color Printing are out of business-  so I don't know who to approach?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Eastern Colour Printing were still a company l believe till 2002 although they got out of comics years ago and were mainly involved with advertising. Unfortunately we are unable to help with legal or commercial use questions. l believe Jon Mayes was the cover artist so you could try contacting him if he is still alive, l would think being public domain it would be fine to use so long as you included the original copyright information with the cover.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.