in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 8 - Danger #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 8 - Danger #1  (Read 4326 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 8 - Danger #1
« on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:13 PM »

I don't know about you, but I like a quiet humdrum existence. In fact the less excitement the  better!!

So I am not sure how I am going to get on with this week's choice. A quick flip through confirmed it is cover to cover adventure. The book is Danger #1 which can be found here: https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=27640 and the story we are concentrating on starts on our page 27 titled Sandhog.

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 8 - Danger #1
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:42:16 PM »

... The book is Danger #1...

The later issues (when this title seems to have morphed into a spy comic) look like more exciting reads to me, but I'll give this a shot.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 06:38:13 PM »

I don't know what to make of this comic. Regarding the target story: the plot of the young man proving himself with heroism in the eyes of his girl's father might be one of the most overused plots in history.  The presentation here was typical and not very memorable.

The lead story, a brother seeking justice for the death of a sibling, coming to the rescue of the widowed wife had more emotional depth.  In days gone by, i would have dismissed Lomak's hiring of Roy as non-credible comic-booky contrived hubris. As i watch the American political landscape, I now come to accept comic-booky contrived hubris as a very real thing. 

Story #2. Women will treat you wrong. Wow. Novel.

Story #3. I can't remember it without looking at the comic. Never mind

Text filler:  You just can't escape the classroom.

If I was Mr. Allen Hardy of Allen Hardy Associates, I must have been thinking I'm going to cash in on this comic book thing, hire a couple of guys, and put something out there. Comics.... They're all the same.  You just got to get something up on the racks and bingo!  Instant cash!  Kids aren't critics! 

Sorry for being nagative. This one was not enjoyable at all.

--Dave

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:35:47 PM »

A comic devoted to finding the drama in the perils of those often overlooked and underappreciated jobs like the ones depicted in the "Sandhogs" story is a noble one imo.  Not to mention that there would probably be much new ground to cover material-wise.  So I can understand some of the reasoning behind taking a chance on this somewhat novel concept... well, at least it wasn't yet another crime or horror comic, I'll give the people at Comic Media at least that much credit.

Unfortunately, I found the execution here wanting... actually, the best thing in the comic imo was the text story "Double Danger." 

As far as Sandhogs, the script/plot was somewhat simplistic and Morisi's heavy inked artwork rather ugly in places.  Not that the artwork was any better on any of the other stories imo.  What's surprising is that both Heck and Morisi are capable of better efforts.  In fact, one only has to look at some of the later issues of Danger (when it morphs into an international spy comic) to see this difference.  If Heck was bored with the material, why should I expect not to be either... so I didn't bother.  With all that said, Sandhogs wasn't really that bad... but it could've (perhaps should've) been much better.

Most absurd panel...

"Fireworks!" 
"Look out you fool!  Anything burns in high air!"

« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:43:21 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 06:53:45 PM »

... Regarding the target story: the plot of the young man proving himself with heroism in the eyes of his girl's father might be one of the most overused plots in history.  The presentation here was typical and not very memorable.

The Dave O'Brian character's girlfriend's father was working down there as a sandhog?  I didn't catch that... in fact, I don't even recall reading he had a girlfriend.   

Talk about not being a very memorable story!  :D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:55:49 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »

Yep, you're right.  Nobody gets my sarcasm.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:37:43 PM »

I am not sure what to expect in this book, but we start off with a familiar looking advertisement. Which this time I will read:

"Actual Experiences Of Skeptical Men And Women Prove Hair Can Be Grown From Live Hair Follicles"

Well I thought that is where it came from!! I like the less than glowing endorsement:

"Now my hair looks quite thick"

Oh great, the first story "Steel Girder" is about heights. The older I get the more I hate them. Give it another 10 years and I doubt I'd step off the kerb without a great deal of coaxing, Ok I read it and it was cool, complete corn, but Lomak got his comeuppance and I think that Roy and Terry will end up being an item.

Straight on to the next story "Blubber". Well that was a very depressing story ... but let's face it when Nan said "I will marry the one who brings in the most tonnage in a month!" And that is whale meat ... then it is not going fun. Best bit was the the Pub name "Cross Bones Inn".

The ring advertisement looks very strange I MUST revisit this!

I am at a slight loss about the non-fiction text article with message "all occupations are dangerous for fools". I have known a great many idiot programmers, but for the life of me I can't remember any one of them being sent to accident and emergency due to faulty code (unfortunately).

The next story is Black Gold and it is certainly the best one so far. But what are the glasses Hugh Norton is wearing in the bottom panel on our page 24?? One to go and it is our main story "Sandhog". I think I am going to like this as the bare-chested guy bears an uncanny resemblance to me
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2014, 04:25:02 AM »

Sandhogs was very lame. It starts without any background on what a sandhog is or does. Then it goes through as one of the most predictable stories. I am not really a Morisi fan so the art was not even redeeming.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 05:29:49 AM »

The first impression I get from this comic is that it's designed to appeal to the same audience as the men's "sweat mags" which were big at the time, albeit without the sleaze. Common to all the stories is the theme of he-men doing he-man things, having he-man conflicts, and beating on each other in a he-manly fashion. A woman is a prize for two he-men to fight over. At the center of each story is a he-man job: building skyscrapers, hunting whales, drilling for oil, digging tunnels.

The first three stories are so over-the-top that they're almost funny. "Blubber" takes the prize for excess. How can one take it seriously? Two guys send each other to the sharks and maim each other with blowtorches in the name of bringing home the most whale meat. They end up scarred, maimed and betrayed by the fickle dame they did it for. The skyscraper and oil stories are less exaggerated, though not by much.

The only story with redeeming value is "Sandhog." It helps that there's no overwrought man-to-man competition. In fact the story resembles Harvey Kurtzman's later EC war stories in which a green recruit becomes a man by atoning for some terrible mistake. The author has obviously done his research and gives an interesting picture of how underwater tunnels used to be dug. He draws upon a true incident (back in the 1930s, I believe) in which a sandhog survived being sucked through a hole in a tunnel wall. The big-mistake scene needs either better writing or better art. It's unclear just what sets off the "fireworks." Does the kid shovel something into the torch flame which causes the fire (in which case he is REALLY an idiot)? Or is he amused by seeing "fireworks" without realizing they're a sign of imminent danger?

The text feature is strange. It's almost a safety lecture. In couple of spots I expect a bar chart. The muddled conclusion seems to be that most industrial accidents, even in dangerous industries, are caused by reckless employees.

Artwise the comic is a mixed bag. Don Heck was doing much better stuff than this at the time (see later issues of "Danger"). Here he seems rushed. Pete Morisi delivers solid work, especially on "Sandhog."

I speculate that Pete Morisi wrote his own stories. They exhibit some of his stylistic quirks (like people saying "Unnnnn" rather than "Ungh" or "Ugh" when they're hit). Additionally, other stories from this period which Morisi definitely wrote were plagued by the near-hysteria evident in "Blubber." Thankfully Morisi learned restraint as his writing matured.

Overall opinion: an interesting artifact, but not a very satisfying comic.
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 02:58:53 PM »

... I think maybe in a few weeks we'll follow
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:16:29 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 04:14:33 PM »

... It's unclear just what sets off the "fireworks." Does the kid shovel something into the torch flame which causes the fire (in which case he is REALLY an idiot)? Or is he amused by seeing "fireworks" without realizing they're a sign of imminent danger? ...

Yes he shovels something into the flame (last panel on previous page) and yes (imo) he's childishly amused.  Love that absurd "WHEE!... Looky at the fireworks!!!"  two-year-old child-like face Morisi draws in that panel.  :D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »

Didn't enjoy this comic.  I found the he-man stuff distasteful and in Blubber, the OTT ends to which they go adds daft to distasteful. The suggested story was simplistic nonsense with the artificial men in conflict rubbish and to be honest, I can't even be bothered thinking out my reasoning.  Sorry.
The one thing that attracted me was the PAM art and even that was a bit too thick looking with some of the heads not sitting quite right on shoulders. I was surprised how some of Don Heck's faces and figures looked Kirby like.  Bear in mind I'm not a huge Kirby fan, nor am I expert in some American comic book art.
All in all a depressing read.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 05:33:45 PM »

Really not too much to keep my interest in this one. The cover states "Men Without Fear" but the guy falling looks darn scared to me. The stories were pretty simple, both in writing and art. "Steel Girder" wasn't a bad little tale of revenge, although pretty predictable. "Blubber" was  downright silly- just a murderous version of Popeye and Bluto  feuding over a fickle Olive Oyl! "Black Gold" was just ok- at least the writer had done a little research into putting out oil rig fires. The story itself was pretty forgettable. I liked "Sandhog" a little better the second time I read it. Again, the writer had done some research into the subject, such as flammable "high air", using hay to plug leaks, workers getting the "bends". I don't know if any of that is true, but it did add a bit to the story. Same old plot, though- young worker messes up and tries to redeem himself. Probably my favorite part of the book was the IC add. Where DID they get that photo- looks like a politician running for reelection! Heck, after showing 3 "Proofs" and a glowing recommendation from Mr. L.H.M. of Los Angeles, how could one not order this product? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2014, 08:56:07 PM »

I also thought that PAM might have written Sandhogs
ip icon Logged

twiztor

message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 09:45:14 PM »

i very much enjoyed the Sandhogs story.

i was extremely skeptical as the first page features a shirtless man and i thought we might get some wink/nudge homoeroticism, but thankfully that was not the case. i ended up really getting pulled into the story in the early pages, with the young boy having to prove himself. i think it really helped that it was told from the perspective of one of the vets.
i found the artwork was passable but nothing special. i also missed that the boy caused the fire. that's a pretty important panel, and they should've made it a little more clear.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.