in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Glad I found you.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Glad I found you.  (Read 7196 times)

Indianbear

• VIP
message icon
Glad I found you.
« on: September 03, 2008, 06:58:49 PM »

Hello everyone.

I'm very happy to have found your site.

I really like the idea of sharing public domain comics and will do what I can to contribute.

I'm very interested in Christian comics. I have a full set of the old "Treasure Chest" Catholic comics from the late '40s and into '63. I'm looking for other Christian comics but they seem to be hard to come by.

I'm a great fan of Captain Marvel and family. I'm really happy to see that you have a good collection already posted.

I will be emailing one of the mods for ftp upload information.

Thanks for being here. :-X

Indianbear (or just plain Bear)

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Glad I found you.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:08:46 PM »

Welcome to the site Bear!
I'm sure you'll find lots of goodies to keep you happy here.
;D :D

I thought I heard there was a link out there with a ton of Treasure Chest books online.  Sorry, as it's not my thing I never bookmarked it.  Perhaps someone else can let you know via PM.

FTP access is for scanners and uploaders.  So if you are planning to scan something from your collection you might want to let us know what it is ahead to avoid duplicating other scans or avoid titles that can't be used on the site if it's not public domain.

Just send me a PM and I hopefully can help you.  I'm not an expert on PD titles so I'd recommend looking at what we already have on the site as a guide.

Enjoy your stay,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Rockwell

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Rockwell
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 11:53:58 PM »

Hi, I read your message and was interested in your comments about christian comics. I'm interested in the practice of using comics in the spread of christian doctine and have noticed that in many cities missionaries will hand out christian comics in a unique form factor. Do you have a collection of these by chance? I have a couple that I would be happy to scan and upload.

I'm not aware of these Treasure Chest Comics but I hope you scan them and post them here or somewhere.

peace
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 12:29:39 AM »

Greetings Rockwell,
By the statement 'in a unique form factor' might be you referencing Chick Piblications with their comicbooks and mini pamplet comics?

Cheers

Hi, I read your message and was interested in your comments about christian comics. I'm interested in the practice of using comics in the spread of christian doctine and have noticed that in many cities missionaries will hand out christian comics in a unique form factor. Do you have a collection of these by chance? I have a couple that I would be happy to scan and upload.

I'm not aware of these Treasure Chest Comics but I hope you scan them and post them here or somewhere.

peace
ip icon Logged

Indianbear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 04:19:18 AM »

Rockwell, I'll PM you with a link where you can download all the Treasure Chest comics. There is well over 300 of them. They were distributed in Catholic schools from 1946 to 1972. More than half of them are in the Public Domain; those are the ones that are on line.

I'm not sure what you mean by "unique form factor." If you mean tracts, that's not my thing. However, I do appreciate their value. That is, if they're truly Christian. Chick publications, refered to by rez, is not.

Other than the Treasure Chest comics, I've had no luck finding many Christian comics on the internet. I can find a lot of information about some of them that were published back in the 40's and 50's, but so far none to download. There are TONS of them listed for sale on eBay.

More in the PM.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 12:47:30 PM »

Many of the Spire Christian comics are out there
ip icon Logged

Rockwell

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Rockwell
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:29:31 PM »

Greetings Rockwell,
By the statement 'in a unique form factor' might be you referencing Chick Piblications with their comicbooks and mini pamplet comics?

Cheers

That would be the ones. I didn't know that Chick was the sole force behind these comics, or how controversial they are until i just read about them after reading your post. Turns out there's a ton of information on them on the web including a fairly long wikipedia article.

Thanks for the link Indian bear, there's a lot of great comics there.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:52:00 PM »

Yes, many are the theologies involved in the use of the term 'Christian' and just as many organizational groups found under such a heading. Chick has been at the comic scene a long time and over the years many others have made use of the medium as well.
Somewhere in my stash I have several issues of a comic line produced by Oral Roberts in the '50s. I'll take this opportunity to ask Aussie if these comics might be public domain for GAC.
If so, I'll try to locate them and scan to the site.
Cheers

Greetings Rockwell,

Cheers

That would be the ones. I didn't know that Chick was the sole force behind these comics, or how controversial they are until i just read about them after reading your post. Turns out there's a ton of information on them on the web including a fairly long wikipedia article.

Thanks for the link Indian bear, there's a lot of great comics there.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:08:07 PM »

Rez, sending a 'private message' to Aussie might work best.  She's been under the weather and likely wont be checking each individual message.

To send a PM  find a message from her and look at the icons under her avatar.  The one that looks like a word balloon will be the one you need to click on.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Indianbear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »

rez,

Those Oral Roberts comics, if public domain, would really be welcome. I didn't know he ever published comics. Interesting.

Bear
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 02:34:30 PM »

Seems I recall having 3  or 4 of them but only came across one that must have gotten seperated from the others at some time and now due to the tremendously accurate filing system I use(insert tongue in cheek icon here) all I can say is 'they gotta be in there somewhere'.

Next time I make it to Tulsa I should approach the ORU school library and see if there is a complete collection of the comics there and if permission can be granted to scan them for placement here.

rez,

Those Oral Roberts comics, if public domain, would really be welcome. I didn't know he ever published comics. Interesting.

Bear
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 01:18:34 AM »

One of the comic titles that was produced with material from the Lloyd Jacquet Studios, which I'm currently researching, was Catholic Comics. I own copies of issues 5-9,11-13, and Vol. 2: 1,2,4,6,8 dating from Oct. 1946 to May 1948.

I know that some people seem to distance Catholics from Christians, but I believe they fit the definition. There was also a comic titled Catholic Pictorial (I believe) from about 1946 that had some VERY early Alex Toth artwork in it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 01:50:57 AM »

While Chick would definetly distance catholic from Christian most would just not equate them.  You can be one without the other and visa versa.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2008, 02:49:18 AM »

Referring to Christians and Catholics, Narfstar wrote: You can be one without the other and visa versa.

From what I know of religion, I don't believe you can be a Catholic without being a Christian, so I don't think "visa versa" is accurate.

Peace,
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2008, 03:41:02 AM »

Without getting into a theological discussion (something I actually enjoy doing) people in every denomination have their name on the books without following/practicing their beliefs.  So technically they would be Catholic,etc without actually being such.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »

Point taken, Narfstar,
My own father is an excellent example.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 06:25:46 PM »

Couldn't let this thread go without the mention of Aida-Zee from Nate Butler Studios back in 1990.
Actually found it an enjoyable read and wished that more would have followed this solo Premiere issue.

After running a search I find the comic is still available at or near the cover price from a number of different on-line merchants.

Had a slew of talent working on that book.
Cheers

« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 06:51:24 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2008, 07:16:44 AM »

I really liked this one, too.  Unfortunately, for whatever reason, a second ish of Aida-Zee never made it out of the gate.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2008, 10:11:06 AM »

Would like to find a copy of Aida-Zee. So how many born again Christians are in this group? I count myself as one for nearly 40 years now.
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2008, 01:29:30 PM »

I'm a Christian and glad to meet you.  :D
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2008, 05:31:52 PM »

Got BA in '78.

Did a search of Aida-zee and thought I saw a bunch for sale near coverprice. Been planning on scanning it and placing on that other comic site. :-X   If you can't locate a copy I've a dupe of the issue I suppose I can cut loose of.
Love to get a book signed by Murphy Anderson.

The Jack Kirby Hall of Fame
1989 Wally Wood
1990 Steve Ditko
1990 Alex Toth
1991 Jack Cole
1991 Basil Wolverton
1992 Walt Kelly
1992 Bernard Krigstein
1993 Jerry Siegel
1993 Joe Shuster
1994 Bill Finger
1994 Bob Kane
1995 Bill Everett
1995 Stan Lee
1996 Carl Burgos
1996 Sheldon Mayer
1996 Julius Schwartz
1997 C. C. Beck (Retroactive)
1997 William Gaines (Retroactive)
1997 Gil Kane (Lifetime Achievement)
1997 Joe Kubert (Lifetime Achievement)
1997 Jean Giraud, also known as "Moebius" (International)
1998 Reed Crandall (Retroactive)
1998 Gardner F. Fox (Retroactive)
1998 Carmine Infantino (Lifetime Achievement)
1998 Murphy Anderson (Lifetime Achievement)
1998 Milo Manara (International)
1999 Otto Binder (Retroactive)
1999 Morton Meskin (Retroactive)
1999 Neal Adams (Lifetime Achievement)
1999 Frank Frazetta (Lifetime Achievement)
1999 John Romita, Sr. (Lifetime Achievement)
1999 Georges Remi, also known as "Herg
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 05:59:39 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »

I would be happy with a scan of it Rez. I would like to have supported it when it came out. I think I only paid $25 for a nice copy of Hawkman 2 signed by Murph and plan on holding on to it. Murph has long been one of my favorite artists with what I consider bold clear pictures.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.