in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Site clock

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Site clock  (Read 4723 times)

JonTheScanner

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Site clock
« on: September 05, 2008, 07:02:35 PM »

I don't know where to post this nor that it really matters, but I noticed the clock here appears to be about 5 minutes fast.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Site clock
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:34 PM »

Might this be attributed to Global Warming or would it be Climate Change?

I don't know where to post this nor that it really matters, but I noticed the clock here appears to be about 5 minutes fast.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »

Now that temperatures have dropped substantially over the last few years, it's been retconned as Climate Change.  You'll still get blamed, and the government'll still try to get you to pay taxes on it (possibly via "carbon credits"), though, so don't panic.

My personal theory is that the clock is merely letting the boy clocks get to second base with it.

You'll get the joke later.  I can't guarantee it'll be funny, but you'll get it.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 09:59:17 PM »

Makes one wonder what the percentage of girl comic readers there are in the goldenage realm in comparison to the boys.
Sometimes that sprint to first base would lead to trouble.

And wonder if the oldtimers in the sport comics from the 40s and 50s had any troublesome tales to tell?
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:02 PM »

Makes one wonder what the percentage of girl comic readers there are in the goldenage realm in comparison to the boys.

To answer your question Rez for this board is Male to Female ratio 15:3:1.

Geo
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

John C

message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »

Interestingly, the clock seems to be drifting further away.

I mention this because, on a lark, I poked around under the Profile tab up above.  Under "Look and Layout Preferences," there's an option to offset the time.  I didn't think this was going to work, by any means, but on a lark, I plugged in "-0.4" (in other words, pretend the clock has been set back four tenths of an hour, or twenty-four minutes), and I'm now within a couple of minutes of the rest of the world.  For the moment, at least.  Obviously, you can be more precise, and I'm sure there'll be a need to change that value every few weeks.

I figured I'd throw it out there, in case anybody REALLY wanted a workaround for this.  I know some people get twitchy when the clocks don't all match precisely.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »

ya.
Gotta watch those first base twitchies.

How timely.

I mention this because, on a lark, I poked around under the Profile tab up above.  Under "Look and Layout Preferences," there's an option to offset the time.  I didn't think this was going to work, by any means, but on a lark, I plugged in "-0.4" (in other words, pretend the clock has been set back four tenths of an hour, or twenty-four minutes), and I'm now within a couple of minutes of the rest of the world.  For the moment, at least.  Obviously, you can be more precise, and I'm sure there'll be a need to change that value every few weeks.

I figured I'd throw it out there, in case anybody REALLY wanted a workaround for this.  I know some people get twitchy when the clocks don't all match precisely.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »

Well the instructions say to adjust the clock till it matches your own time. Most sites use GMT as a base but ours it seems does not. l am GMT+11hrs but l am GA time +14.61 presumably it is set to  Serj time which is still in the UK.  ;)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »

Well the instructions say to adjust the clock till it matches your own time. Most sites use GMT as a base but ours it seems does not. l am GMT+11hrs but l am GA time +14.61 presumably it is set to  Serj time which is still in the UK.  ;)

Thanks for this response to an old post, Aussie.
I've been baffled by the odd clock on the site's server for some time. Now I can work around it, but, if I'm reading your post correctly, jc, it's a temporary fix that requires eventual readjustment? Does that mean that the server's clock is "broken" or simply eccentric?

Anyway, it's a small thing, Aussie, but it will save me doing the math in my head to figure out when something was really posted.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:17:58 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:26:39 PM »

I've been baffled by the odd clock on the site's server for some time. Now I can work around it, but, if I'm reading your post correctly, jc, it's a temporary fix that requires eventual readjustment? Does that mean that the server's clock is "broken" or simply eccentric?

Well, in September it was about five minutes fast; now it's almost twenty-five minutes fast.  So, it looks to be gaining in the neighborhood of three minutes per month.  If you need to keep up with the drift, that comes to readjusting down by another one tenth every other month...assuming that this is going to be a consistent drift.

As to why?  Ever since "time servers" became a common way of synchronizing, actual machine clocks have been garbage.  Along similar lines, I have a VCR that reads the time from the cable network, but doesn't understand the new Daylight Savings approach; I've turned off the auto-correction, and it loses up to a minute per week!

Either Serj or Zog probably turned off the NTP (Network Time Protocol) system for one reason or another--I seem to recall someone telling me there's a security problem in some implementations, but don't quote me on that--and never turned it back on.
ip icon Logged

Zog

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 09:29:30 PM »

test

Edit
I have no idea what time this is set for....it's 21.06 when I posted that test post...GMT
I'll have a fiddle later...probably Monday, and see If I can set it for GMT

Edit 2 ....test

Edit 3...mmmm on auto setting it's about 18 minutes fast....

edit 3..test

edit 4  test

edit 4 test

edit 5 3.56 seems to correct the thing...

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 09:48:34 PM by Zog »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.