in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Lots of Comics but no time

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

topic icon Author Topic: Lots of Comics but no time  (Read 63324 times)

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Lots of Comics but no time
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2008, 02:47:03 AM »

:o
Wow, seeing that box arrive would have scared me silly too!
I'm certainly glad the contents were all fine.

The scan team of Jim & Jon's first book has now gone up!
The first of many!

Great team work guys.
:D
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2008, 02:51:01 AM »

THANKS, Jon!
The scan looks great, but I MUST give credit where credit is due:
1. the index card with the art identifications is the work of Hames Ware
2. Buster Brown #1 is only in my collection due to the generosity of Joel Baren. Thanks, Joel.

Keep 'em coming. I'm proud to be a part of this effort.

ps. that pic of the box reminds me of how important it is to pack things well - a skill I learned from Bud Plant.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2008, 03:12:36 AM »

Hey Jim since you are here with your art id expertise can you identify the other artist in my recent upload of Personal Love?  It has a signed Joe Orlando.  It has one signed simply Ted if you know who Ted might be and the rest are unsigned. Since you seem to enjoy art ID have fun ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:22:36 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2008, 03:23:53 AM »

Narfstar:
Cover and first and third stories are by George Klein (he may only be inking the 3rd one) and Ted is Ted Galindo. That's a nice Orlando, isn't it?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2008, 03:25:17 AM »

Thanks I can add info to the gcd. The Orlando was what prompted me to scan it to share.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2008, 03:49:41 AM »

You know, Narfstar,
I'm going to hate myself (again) for suggesting this, but not only do I have "Lots of Comics but no time" but I have "TONS of comic data on index cards and no time, either."

I seem to have bad luck with the GCD in that many times when I feel like I have a little time to enter some data, the site slows me down to a snail's pace and I get frustrated and give up. I'd be happy to send you some data card on any company you want (see my lists of what I have) and let you enter them into the GCD at YOUR convenience. Would give you something to do while the scanner's scanning perhaps.

I do NOT have cards on EVERY comic I own, but I DO have thousands and thousands of comics detailed at one level or another - some with sketchy notes from Hames and some with detailed story titles and story lengths indicated.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2008, 03:57:51 AM »

Holy Cats!
What a lovely offer.  Between scanning and index cards, when will Narf have time to teach school?
;)

-Yoc
very impressed with the community here
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 04:31:59 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2008, 04:10:38 AM »

That IS a problem, Yoc,
but what's strange is that I'm RETIRED and I STILL don't have any time. I don't know how to explain it, but it's the truth. I can't figure out how I EVER had time to have a job!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »

Sounds like a good summer project.  Jim you are not alone in your frustration.  Guess what happened when I tried to enter your art id for Personal love  :-\ We are currently working on switching from lasso to python. I do not really know what all the really means but someone does.  Once we get switched we want to switch to another server that will be more stable. As an editor I have access to an offline tool that I can put in all the information offline line then send it t the system all at once. Works great for doing a series of several books especially with multiple features.  I will get with you later on this.  thanks JIM
ip icon Logged

Astrp3

message icon
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2008, 06:52:41 PM »

Wow! Just read this thread and I am definitely interested in helping out.
I concentrate on pre-code horror (most of the PCH scans on here, other than ACG and Fiction House are my scans [I release them under a different name], though I usually let others post them for me).

About a year ago, I started a project to get scans of every pre-code horror comic out there.
What I've been doing for the stuff that's not out there yet is to buy low-grade copies from e-bay, then scan them and either sell them back (almost always at a loss) or trade them to someone else in return for letting me borrow other issues from them that I scan and return to them. Most would call me crazy for doing that, but I don't have room for the actual comics and the scans do me just fine.
So I've been borrowing and scanning comics for a while now.

Once that is done, I'd like to index them all for GCD but I would probably not be able to identify much (if any) unsigned art [other than ones that others have already identified, which I collect in my database] That's something you'd probably be a lot better at.

I'll post my list of stuff I'd like to scan below. Of course, you have no reason to trust me on this but I could put you in touch with someone else I've traded with who can vouch for me. My main concern is damaging the books. All the stuff I buy (and borrow from others) is very low grade (like you, I just care about the contents and collect them to read).  The main damage that occurs when I scan is that if the cover is hanging by a thread (i.e. partially hanging from one staple), it sometimes detaches when I scan. If books are really brittle, sometimes the pages will separate if I try to lay them flat on the scanner, but if that happens, I just stop scanning that issue and move on to another (it's only happened a few times out of hundreds of scans).

Let me know if you're interested and maybe we could start out with a small batch (maybe Fawcett and Farrell, since I am quite interested in those two and there aren't a lot of them).

Anyway, here is the stuff I'm interested in:

HARVEY COMICS
BLACK CAT (MYST)   30, 32, 40, 42, 45, 49, 
CHAMBER/CHILLS   22, 24, 14, 16, 17, 21, 24
TOMB OF TERROR   10, 12
WITCHES TALES   5, 17, 18, 20

FAWCETT COMICS
BEWARE: TERROR   5,8
STRANGE S./ANOTHER WORLD  2,4,5
STR. SUSPENSE ST.   2, 4
THIS MAG/HAUNT    1,2

AVON COMICS
EERIE 7,9,11,12
WITCHCRAFT   2,4,6

STANDARD COMICS
ADV. INTO DARK.  5,7,8
OUT OF SHADOWS   6,8,11-13
THE UNSEEN   6, 8-10, 15
WHO IS NEXT?   5

ACE COMICS
BAFFLING MYSTER   5,6,8-12,19,20,22,23
THE BEYOND   4,5,13-15,18,20,22,25-27
CHAL. OF UNKNWN   6
HAND OF FATE   8-10,12-13,17,18,24,25a,25b
WEB OF MYSTERY   2,4,10,21,22,26

CHARLTON
STRANGE SUSPENSE   17,22
THE THING   1,3-6,8,10,11
THIS MAG/HAUNTED   15,16,19,21

FARRELL
HAUNTED THRILLS   10
MIDNIGHT   6
STRANGE FANTASY   14
STRANGE JOURNEY   3
VOODOO   2

GILLMOR
CLIMAX   2
MR. MYSTERY   8
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2008, 10:50:30 PM »

Misc
Mysterious Traveler 1

Overstreet has the publisher of the 1948 Mysterious Traveler as Trans-World Publications.

Cheers
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2008, 05:28:31 AM »

Bonjour, mes amis, from Paris,
Yes, if I remember correctily, Trans-World IS the publisher. I can't recall ever seeing another title from them. And the book itself looks for all the world like a late-1940s Street and Smith title.

Today I have a rendezvous with the daughter of San Julian, the great Warren Magazine cover artist and I'm hoping to visit L'Album at the corner of St. Germain/St. Miichel where I can trade some ImageS Magazines for some much-needed Euros. Paris is NOT for the faint of pocketbook.

Glad to hear that Jon and Geo are making progress with the scans, and I see that rex, astrp3. OtherEric and oh, yes, and yoc's mystery Portland scanner have offered to help scan future issues. Everything will be evaluated when I return, but I thank you all for volunteering. We will have to wait and see how everything goes.

JVJ Publishing / Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr.
125 rue Legendre / Paris 75017 France
Ph. 01 42 63 99 93 ou 06 80 96 46 79

jvj@bpib.com   www.bpib.com/images.htm

« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:00:04 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2008, 06:27:48 AM »

Oops, What A Drag It Is Getting Old (as I heard someone once say).
Laura, whom I rendezvoused with last week, is the daughter of Esteban Maroto, not San Julian. I met both artists at SuperCon in San Jose earlier this year and apparently got confused as to who was related to whom.

For those who want to know why I've not spent much time here lately, I suggest:
http://tiny.cc/QQD3s

Keep scanning, folks.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »

Just checking in to see if Jim is back yet; it's November now.  I hope your trip went well!
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2008, 10:30:26 PM »

My recollection was he said he'd return after Nov 11th.  Just one more week to finish scanning  :-)
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2008, 10:56:48 PM »

Thought I posted a reply to this already, but since it hasn't shown up, here it is again.
Jon is correct, I will be back on the 11th, but I'm certain I'll need a couple of days to dig out from a ton of email and phone calls. I should surface after the 16th or so.
Here's what I've been up to:
http://www.bpib.com/paris/October/October-15-22.html

ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2008, 11:17:26 PM »

Glad to hear from you, Jim.  Once you're back and re-established, let us know.  I'll get my pitch to become one of your legion of scanners ready then.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2008, 07:01:05 PM »

NOTE - I've just started checking through Jim's offering lists starting on Pg1 of this thread.
I've marked in YELLOW books that are still needed on GAC for those scanners looking for books to request.
This will take a LONG time to complete so any other moderators wishing to help out please do.
You can click on MODIFY in Jim's posts and see how I've added my comments.  To get the yellow I highlighted the numbers needed, hit the green G with GLOW around it, and changed the highlight colour from RED to YELLOW.

I notice nobody has asked for any of the early SPEED COMICS yet... I hope that will change one day!

-Yoc
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 11:16:25 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »

Hey lets have some early Speed Comics  :D

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2008, 06:46:20 AM »

I know this is TOTALLY off topic, BUT:

Where in the world is our server? Someone somewhere thinks that it is 1:45 AM when it's 10:30 PM in my world. I could understand 1:30 AM, but those 15 minutes are making me crazy.

????? Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2008, 03:57:19 PM »

LOL, yeah, I've often wondered about that too.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #71 on: December 10, 2008, 02:44:57 AM »

You shock me, Yoc,
I was certain that you would be able to enlighten me.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #72 on: December 10, 2008, 03:23:10 AM »

I guess he is a regular shock yoc :P
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »

Okay, Yoc,
Here're some additions:

HARVEY:
Champ 12
Hello Pal 3
« Last Edit: December 25, 2008, 07:14:52 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2008, 06:53:14 AM »

Thanks Jim, I'll get to those as soon as I finish with shovelling out from 12' of snow!
:(
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.