in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Golden Age Comics includes copyright material

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Golden Age Comics includes copyright material  (Read 3429 times)

hmendryk

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: hmendryk
message icon
Golden Age Comics includes copyright material
« on: September 21, 2008, 01:14:13 PM »

I would like to point out that I can see that Golden Age Comics includes some copyright material despite its claims to the contrary. I am not a copyright lawyer (or a lawyer of any kind) and I have not done my own copyright search. But it is clear that those posting scans on this site have not either. For instance all the Fighting American and at least some of the Black Magic stories are currently under copyright by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby. I know because I have personally seen the copyright renewal papers from the copyright office. So my question is what efforts is this site making to insure they are not effectively stealing material legally belonging to others?

Harry
ip icon Logged

hmendryk

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Golden Age Comics includes copyright material
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 01:33:41 PM »

Not to beat a dead horse, but a quick check shows the Simon and Kirby copyrights to Police Trap are also being violated by this site. You also list Bulls-eye and Foxhole as available but fortunately they have not been abused so far. Again I have seen the renewal notices for this material. You state that "All files here available for download have carefully been research by our users and staff to make sure they are in the public domain" is false. Heck you even have the Police Trap #1 under Charlton when it was actually published by Simon and Kirby's own company Mainline.

So my question is no longer what research you have done to verify the material is public domain, but how soon are you going to correct your obvious legal copyright violations?

Harry
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 01:38:09 PM »

The standard approach here, I believe, is to use the Catalog of Copyright Entries, which is relatively standard, though potentially not infallible, being hand-generated by bureaucrats.  If you check the relevant dates, there's no renewal shown for those books.

What additional information do you have on your side?  Dates?  Scans?

Also, rather than blustering into a public forum and denouncing everybody for violating (based only on your unsubstantiated claims) the law, perhaps you'd be better off starting a private discussion with one of the administrators around here.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »

Ok everyone, until Aussie has had a chance to read this thread I'm placing the Fighting American into a Suspect folder and not adding anymore.  I'm also locking this tread.  Aussie can unlock it and replay when ready.

If Aussie is convinced the books in question are Ok then they will return.

Otherwise I recommend people not engage hmendryk in any debate.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

hmendryk

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 05:24:18 PM »

I would have loved to have brought this up privately with the administration of this site, but I was unable to find any way to contact them. Which is why I posted on what look like the most appropriate place.

Seems to me that if you are using a source that you admit is not reliable to verify what is public domain, then this site is not as careful with their research as it claims. I am not about to do the job for you by supplying scans that support my statements. But I will supply the proof if by doing that this site is willing to change its policies.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 02:47:06 PM »

l am already aware of the situation with Bulls-eye and Foxhole, which is why it is stated on both those sections the comics are not public domain and not to be uploaded, that information was there as soon as l organised the Charlton section, which was some time ago. But of course you never bothered to read that did you. Yes you are right about the Black Magic and Fighting American as well, unfortunately all the info l included for that section was lost a while back, and l never had a chance to go back and do it all again, thank you for pointing that out. But next time you have some query about the site l suggest you ask one of the admin about it first, really its not that difficult to send a PM, you could not have tried that hard to contact us.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 03:09:36 PM by aussie500 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.