in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

A fast way to get all the names of my files to a .txt file

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: A fast way to get all the names of my files to a .txt file  (Read 4468 times)

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Nightcrawler86
message icon
A fast way to get all the names of my files to a .txt file
« on: September 30, 2008, 10:42:19 PM »

I was just wondering if anybody knows of a fast and effective way to get the names of all my saved comics to a .txt file. I'm making a full list of all the comics I've saved on my hard drive, and the only way I know of is to go into every folder, click on each file, select "Change name", copy the name, then paste it in my .txt-file. There has got to be a easier way than that! I'm using Windows XP by the way.

Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 11:03:18 PM by Nightcrawler86 »
ip icon Logged

Snard

• Administrator
message icon
Re: A fast way to get all the names of my files to a .txt file
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 12:28:18 AM »

It's pretty easy to do this if you're comfortable with the command line interface. I don't know where you have your comics saved, but let's say they're on your C: drive in a folder called Comics. Do the following steps:

Click Start -> Run, and in the box type "cmd.exe" (without the " characters). This will open a command prompt box.
At the prompt, type "cd /d C:\Comics". Your prompt should now say "C:\Comics>".
Type "dir /b /s >comics.txt". This will go through all of the folder inside your Comics folder and make a list of all of the files it finds (including the folder name) and save them in the file "comics.txt"

I don't want to turn this into a command line tutorial, but you can explore the command line options more if you like.

Maybe there's a way to do this from Windows Explorer, but I don't know how. Anyone?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 12:30:19 AM by Snard »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 02:50:51 AM »

Thanks for the flashbacks Snard.  I remember the dos days. I thought windows users were wimps. Now I have been spoiled.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 04:39:54 AM »

Or you could try a free app like 'Listmaker'

http://www.novatone.net/software/ListMaker.htm

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Nightcrawler86

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Nightcrawler86
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:38:42 AM »

Thanks a lot, guys! That did it for me!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 07:45:06 PM »

List maker program is great. I just used it and donated using paypal because it saved me a lot of time.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 04:27:22 AM »

Glad it could help you Narf!
Another app I couldn't live without is 'TOTAL COMMANDER' which replaces Microsoft's File Manager app.  It even offers FTP functions so I can connect with the GAC FTP.  And it's got a Very Powerful file name function for renaming of multiple files within a single folder with wildcards, counters and replace text options.  :D

ip icon Logged

magician

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: magician
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:20:05 AM »

there is another way with windows system:select all the files you want ,and the press F2.......
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »

... and I see nothing happening M using XP Home.  Then what?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.