in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 31 - Merry Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 31 - Merry Comics  (Read 2493 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 31 - Merry Comics
« on: August 06, 2014, 11:46:59 AM »

Last week's choice of a Buster Brown giveaway proved a hit with the group and I have high expectations for this week's one.

This is a pick by the "Mysterious Member" a shady character who sends me anonymous emails in the middle of the night. He (or is it a she??) has indicated that it would be very wise of us to read the one-shot Merry Comics. The book can be found here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=28728. The story we are concentrating on is the first one The Bogey Man in "Triple Cross".

I had the briefest of flicks through and I believe that we may have some cool art here. BTW Anyone else with ideas for books to read please message me. And maybe we could go off road a bit again?

ip icon Logged

Philv

message icon
Re: Week 31 - Merry Comics
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 10:02:04 PM »

Merry Comics. -  I enjoyed The Bogey Man in "Triple Cross".  This hero had no evident super powers, but apparently struck fear in the hearts of criminals with his cryptic calling card, "The Bogey Man will get you if you don't watch out!"  He seemed pretty clean cut to be menacing.   >:(

I thought that The Bogeyman had some good one liners that made me chuckle, like "Hey, Wait for me!  My fist has a date with your jaw!"  I didn't see the end coming, and it was a good twist to the hydrophobia theme.  All in all, I thought it was a really good story, with action that made me want to keep reading.  :)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »

I found the Triple Cross story to be a heck of a lot of fun. Intelligent twists mixed with craziness mad for a good story. I read Red Band 1 first to get Bogeyman's origin and that story was likely written by the same person as it was the same fun. The lettering in Red Band is rather unique and strange also. It would be nice if someone could identify these guys.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:13 AM »

Triple Cross - A backstory & costume that resembles The Spirit? Okayyyyyyyyy... Well, despite being a knock-off and a number of art mistakes, this was a fun little story.

"Teeny" McSweeny - Not so much a story as a couple of gags run back to back, but amusing gags.

The Monster of Medicine - Well, if you can't trust a guy named Dr. Sinister? *rolls eyes* Not a bad story though.

The Battling Old Boys - 37 years to decide who wins a game? Ah, well, not bad.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 04:35:11 AM »

An interesting mishmash of Golden Age-style features.

"The Bogeyman": I thought Midnight was the only Spirit rip-off. At least he had the courtesy to use a name that isn't a synonym for "spirit." Anyhow, imitation is the sincerest form of etc. etc. Sam Cooper's art is pretty good. It looks like the wartime Spirit stories by Lou Fine, using conventional layouts and characters instead of Eisner's dramatic techniques. It is refreshing not to have an Ebony clone providing excess comic relief. The story is a bit confusing toward the end. The first time I read page 11, panel 3, I thought this was another twist and the Mayor is saying he was really working undercover for the police. But no, he really had been taking bribes. Instead of laughing about it to the Chief, His Honor should be hiring a lawyer. Overall a pleasant read.

"Teeny McSweeny" is a strange little strip. It's not a story, just a series of comic blackouts. Charles Voight delivers some lively artwork. The formation of the human pyramid is an especially nice bit of posing. However I don't see how standing on everyone's shoulders would help the soldier aim his rifle. I realize this is the point of the gag but it doesn't make sense. On the next page we suddenly discover McSweeny has super-strength, though no one but the reader is surprised. One big problem with the story is that Voight never gives us a clear picture of McSweeny. There's only one close-up in four pages, and that's a shot of his companions. We never get a sense of who McSweeny is, and this detracts further from already-lightweight gags.

It certainly looks like H.C. Kiefer was involved in "Doctor Mercy" but his drawing isn't as strong as it usually is. SuperScrounge is right: would even a comic book character be stupid enough to seek treatment from a guy named "Dr. Sinister"? The story is pretty meh, though I like the concept of a "face-unlift." The bad guys don't recognize Dr. Mercy but they seem to have heard of him when he introduces himself. Famous crime-battling doctor?

"King O'Leary" is rather a mess. If it is a comedy it should have been funnier. The business of calcium in the water baffles me. It slows the old-timers down at first but later cures their rheumatism. Huh?? This and the previous story feature a hallowed comic book tradition: you can tell the bad guys because they say "dem" and "dose." Somewhere someone has written a thesis about how this custom came to be.

It's always odd to see Fawcett characters pushing Mechanix Illustrated in a competitor's magazine. It's like DC taking out ads in Marvel Comics.

Summation: not bad for a Golden Ager, with "Bogeyman" much better than the other strips.
ip icon Logged

Philv

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:41:10 AM »

I decided to read Red Band 1 to get the origin story for the Bogeyman too.  I'm glad I did. 

It explained his distaste for criminals!  It was a big coincidence that he had just what he needed to get out of the coffin of death though...no explanations given... :(

It was unclear, if the criminals and police think Kendall Richards is dead, is he the Bogeyman all the time now?  Every crime fighter needs a break once in a while!
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »

Looking at the first panel, I was thinking "Great- another Spirit knock-off." Happily this wasn't the case. No inane sidekick or nagging love-interest here, just a wise-cracking hero with no super-powers who seemed to have a bit more brains than brawn. And yet this, along with some perfectly adequate art, was good enough to give us a rather fun action-filled story. Too bad he only made a few appearances. Dr. Mercy wasn't a bad backup story, but I really didn't care much for the King O'Leary tale. Teeny McSweeny was just OK with the art being better than the story. I enjoyed this issue more than I thought I would. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Lorendiac

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:53:00 AM »

Okay, I just now finished the lead story.

To me, "The Bogeyman" looked and sounded a heck of a lot like "Midnight" from the Golden Age Quality comics. (And yes, I know that originally Midnight was a Will Eisner creation, a knockoff of his own previous creation, "The Spirit." But "Bogeyman" doesn't talk at all like the version of Denny Colt/Spirit which I remember so fondly from the reprints of the post-war era of "The Spirit.")

Anyway, it was a fairly light-hearted and entertaining story. I didn't like the "Bogeyman" alias for an ordinary guy in a blue suit who just happens to wear a domino mask -- it didn't seem to fit. (Of course, I also used to think "The Spirit" was a silly name for a man with nothing mystical about him, but it gradually grew on me.)

About the mayor -- at first, I was leaning in the direction of "the mayor simply thinks he is playing high-stakes poker in an honest game, but the poor fool doesn't realize that Dirty Dan is setting him with a big win in marked bills in order to use them as false evidence that the mayor 'knowingly took a bribe from the notorious Dirty Dan.'"

After all, Dirty Dan is heard bragging, as early as Page 4 of the story ("Page 6" of the online scan of the entire comic book): "I'm going to break the mayor, and I'll take care of Bogeyman at the same time!"

Now why on earth would a mobster need to go to all that trouble to "break" the mayor if, in fact, he already had the man in his pocket, with the mayor gleefully taking bribes in exchange for whatever services Dan wanted from him? Why waste such a golden opportunity?

Far more logical, from my point of view (if I were a big figure in organized crime), would be to invest $50,000 in the cause of making an honest mayor appear corrupt, so as to get him out of the way!

Perhaps because the deputy mayor was already in Dan's pocket, or was so weak-willed and gullible that it would be much easier to manipulate him without his understanding what was really happening, provided he "inherited" the job of mayor for the next couple of years? Alternately, the incumbent mayor could have been up for reelection soon, and expected to win by a comfortable margin according to the latest polls, and Dan could have been planning to damage his credibility a few weeks before Election Day so that the rival candidate (Dan's stooge) would start a full four-year term after winning in a landslide.

P.S. As Crashryan already pointed out, even if the mayor were guilty as sin, it made no sense for him to laughingly acknowledge this fact in the presence of the police chief as soon as it became clear that the chief had strong suspicions of what had really been going on in that poker game. The mayor's obvious best bet would have been to claim that the facts were approximately as I had previously assumed they were, to wit: "I never in my life held my hand out for a bribe, and if you can establish in court that Dirty Dan carefully marked some bills and arranged for a crooked dealer to make sure I 'won' them, that will prove all sorts of nasty things about Dirty Dan, but it doesn't mean I had any notion of what the scoundrel was doing as he amused himself by playing puppetmaster and trying to make me look bad!"

I mean, let's face it: Suppose someone searched through my wallet right this minute, and found that some of the money in it had, at some previous time, been marked in a way that would only manifest itself under ultraviolet radiation. How would that mildly interesting physical fact, in and of itself, "prove" anything at all about whether or not I had acquired the money in a corrupt fashion? As opposed to winning it in a friendly game of chance, or receiving it when I cashed a paycheck, or having recently sold a used car or something in exchange for cold cash, or some other legitimate transaction?

ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 06:47:34 PM »

The cover of this week's book features a very strange looking crime buster, who models a purple top and matching bobble hat. I am hoping he will actually make an appearance inside ... but you know what those comic book guys were like! This is followed by an advertisement. A nice touch how they managed to mention Pearl Harbor whilst advertising a camera.

Ok and we are now set for the main story, which is very good. I liked the humor, the art was cool with nice touches. Dirty Dan's shirt being one. We also had a slight twist at the end.

I must confess the humor in the next story about Teeny McSweeny didn't appeal to me at all. However this is followed by Dr Mercy which was very strange and appealed to me. I won't say too much, but suffice to say it features a Dr Sinister and his face unlifts.

"Sufferin' Shutterbugs!" what a great last story! All about mobsters and geriatric baseball players. I am not sure that I quite understood it though. We are at the end and an advertisement for a wallet stating ZIPPERS ARE BACK!!! I wonder where they had gone to? And blimey Pearl Harbor is mentioned again : "here's the billfold you have been waiting for since Pearl Harbor". Ah Ok it's the same marketing company as the camera! The back page is a rather "rare" advertisement for Mechanix Illustrated featuring Captain Marvel.

And we finish. Verdict: A fun read ... you won't go wrong reading this. But, as I feared the characters on the cover do not appear in the book. Boo-boo :(

BTW Lorendiac I have just noticed that despite your great attention to detail and also fine criminal mind you have not been made a VIP, I have now corrected this major oversight. Unfortunately there is no badge or anything else to mark you out from the common man. But I hope that it brings an extra spring to your step! Best regards Mark
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.