in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 40 - Space Comics (aka Captain Valiant)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 40 - Space Comics (aka Captain Valiant)  (Read 3065 times)

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
Week 40 - Space Comics (aka Captain Valiant)
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:01:34 AM »

So last week's T-Man was a resounding HIT!!! If you haven't read any, be sure to do so, as what we saw was excellent! So here's hoping for the next choice!

I was thinking it was about time we had a non-US comic, we've only had one that I can recall and it was a big hit! Anyway, guess what? A note was slipped through my letter box. Cut and pasted from a newspaper it read:

"If you know what is good for you, choose the first story in Space Comics 50,

A Friend"

So I have. Space Comics #50 starring Captain Valiant can be found at https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=47072, and the story we are concentrating on is the first one "Outpost on the Moon".

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Week 40 - Space Comics (aka Captain Valiant)
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 02:41:10 PM »

I wonder if anyone edited this. It starts with him going to investigate an IDENTIFIED rocket that is later referred to as unidentified. He of course can not be hampered by a PLASTIC helmet. Those pesky protective things could really get in the way. All this with some not too straight lettering. Some how he finds the very well hidden rocket ship  :o

Three days without food or water takes a terrible toll on your clothes and causes you to lay in odd positions.
A rifle just "might be useful" and of course a meal can cause your face to become clean shaven. Of course a valuable man like Valiant can best be er used for er sport to er er swim.

Valiant escapes in predictable fashion and his priorities are set after take off he must put on a spacesuit. Oh and this time he can not forget that once bothersome helmet even though not at all needed inside. It is sure a good thing he did when he finds himself floating in space. Thankfully the IPP can de-accelerate to pick up the good Captain.

Lots of effort to make up cool names for things and explanations abound. The art was really pretty good and pretty dynamic. This seems aimed at a younger audience and was actually a fun read. A lot of criticism do not take away the enjoyment but can add to the entertainment.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 01:45:41 AM »

Over the years I've heard so much about Mick Anglo's contributions to UK comics that before reading this week's book I looked the man up. I found a fascinating, detailed article about Anglo's long career on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Anglo

I was relieved to learn that Mick's real name was Maurice Anglowitz. I could never quite believe the coincidence of an English artist named Anglo whose name also resembled Michel Angelo. In my Googling I encountered this overview of Captain Valiant himself, which explains many of the comic's idiosyncracies:

http://downthetubes.net/?p=16832

The key paragraph is the reference to Captain Valiant having been created with merchandising in mind. No more need I wonder about the Space Stiletto, the anti-radiation shield, and the all-important Service Tie. The "Down the Tubes" article names Denis Gifford as scriptwriter. Though Anglo's studio packaged books using a number of artists, Anglo himself is credited with CV's art. While the artwork is a step above average, it shows signs of copious swiping from both comics and photos. I was amused to spot a Reed Crandall  on page 26 panel 1. I don't know where it came from (Blackhawk?) but it's definitely RC.

The story is kind of loopy but entertaining. As Narf noted, the editing isn't all it could be, with several misspellings and occasions when a single phrase is reused several times on one page. The good Captain is rather arbitrary when deciding whether to wear his space helmet. Maybe in the first story he dons a Reussi helmet because his oxygen pill has run out. I can't understand why, in the second story, Cap and his crew don't  use their flying belts until one of them finally complains about his feet. This story hasn't a plot; it's more of a travelogue, but it's fun.

I like the way the Reussi dialogue is sort-of-backward English, less obvious than Fred Guardineer magicians. "Police" becomes "E-cop" and they insult CV by calling him a "pig-e-(ra)t." On the other hand Falstar's endless ironic "er's" on page 11 drove me up the wall.

In sum, despite awkward writing Captain Valiant #50 (which was issue #1) is a fun read and I'm glad it appeared on the ComicBookPlus videoscopograph.
ip icon Logged

Mazzucchelli

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »

Entertaining story, even though the plot is prodigal in holes.
But when it's a fun read, it's worthwhile anyway.

Memorable moments and things i've learnt:

- The Reussian language is very easy to learn, just read backwards and Bob's your uncle!
For example "EKAT MI OT E STOPTOU!" , read backwards is "TAKE IM TO E UOTPOST!"  which is very similar to its english translation "Take him to the outpost!".
I suspect Reussian language must have also anglo-german roots.

- Lizard people are only lizard below their heads. Their faces are human-like and show no reptile scales.

- If you spend three days without food, your clothes will automatically be ripped apart.

- REUSSIAN dictators look a lot like RUSSIAN dictators
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:40:06 AM »

Outpost on the Moon - Part of me could enjoy the story and part of me winced at all the bad science. Definitely a "check your brain at the door" type story.

Forward to the Future - That's almost a movie title. ;-) Okay. Were there any Captain Valiant suits produced?

Expedition to Somnos - Not as good as the first story.

---

Mazzucchelli - He didn't find a knife in the pool, it was a sharp sliver of rock that broke off a larger rock he was grabbing.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »

SuperScrounge, I guess Captain Valiant merchandise did get made, because I found a blog post where someone mentions having worn a CV suit as a kid.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 04:16:43 PM »

I've read this a few times because it's on my shelf and I never thought it was a very good comic. I always thought it looked a bit amateurish.  I was just a shade too young to have seen it when it was published and only stumbled across it and some others about 20 years ago.  One of hundreds of comics attempting to emulate American comics and unlike traditional British comics with their different sizes, formats and publication schedules.
I did laugh when I noticed that a meal not only fills the inner man but also gives him a shave.
Reading the story again, I think it's daft, unedited but entertaining nonsense. Having been around at a time when American comics weren't available, titles such as Beano, Dandy, Beezer, Eagle etc. with seriously high quality art and stories were mainstays of my reading.  So Space comics was really a bit down market. The thing is it's somewhat rare and it's a good thing to have in any collection.  I noticed that the story is a bit wordy, with some pages having more explanation panels than word balloons. Still think the art is a bit amateurish.  So pleased someone suggested it.

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 03:43:08 AM »

Thanks, Crash!  :)
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 11:24:32 PM »

Thanks to Crash's investigation, we know Capt. Valiant to be part of a merchandising ploy. This info really helps to make some sense out of this book. Look at the cover- is this not a classic action-figure pose? And clearly featuring all the accessories- no doubt sold separately. Really, why else would a space hero wear a tie, brandish a dagger (excuse me- an electro-space stiletto), and carry a small target shield, along with a bandolier of darts?
I enjoyed the art much more than the writing. A bit crude, but full of action panels.
Is the story itself all that awful? Let's just call it wildly inconsistent and give it the benefit of a doubt. Also, one has to give it extra points for the Octocuda! I've read a lot worse in this genre, so I have to say all-in-all this book rates a "not so bad". Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 06:58:29 PM »

Blimey! I read others reviews after I have written mine ... and looks like we are split on it.  Mine Is a BIG thumbs up!

I think this is the reading group's second, or at the most third non-US comic, so I really hope it doesn't disappoint! The cover certainly does look promising. I particularly like Captain Valiant's tie with the Saturn theme, very "next century"! After finishing the first story I can report that it is very good, in a comic book way! Great art and story! I kept a list of a few lines and quotes. This is just a sample, there are PLENTY more just like them! 

A few more seconds and he is at the controls, expertly he flips adjusters and engagers ...

As soon as I get space-borne I can change into a spacesuit

Ouch! A direct hit on the compensator! Have to bail out fast!

Spacatroopers float out into space ... (they are like space paratroopers!)

I have two breaking news items courtesy of the Interplanetary Police Gazette:
  • Captain Valiant outfits will "probably be on sale all over the country".

• Internationally famous cowboy star of films, radio and television Tex Ritter has been made an honorary member of the I.P.P. (Interplanetary Police Patrol).

I can also report that on our page 20 there is a great full page picture detailing the "Official Uniform and Equipment" worn by Captain Valiant. Also, the second story is just as good as the first and some more great lines!

The engines are O.K. Vic, but I'm worried about the repulsors ...

I'm going out through number one airlock Chas, you watch the regulator

Towards the end 'Valiant finds himself face to face with three fierce looking ape-like men. One speaks "OCK AUK UMY!' This is followed by "UK-OCK-AW!", which unless I am very much mistaken must mean they are ancestors of Groundkeeper Willy! Oh dear, all too soon the book is finished.

Verdict: A hit! Great art and a great pulp sci-fi story. The reading group really must read some more of these kind of books.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.