in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

WANTED: Columbia Big Shot, Face, and Skyman

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: WANTED: Columbia Big Shot, Face, and Skyman  (Read 8584 times)

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
WANTED: Columbia Big Shot, Face, and Skyman
« on: December 02, 2006, 02:44:44 AM »

Does anyone here have any Big Shot Comics scanned -- with the Face and Skyman?
Or better yet, full issues of The Face and Skyman.
Ogden Whitney, probably best known for Herbie, did Skyman.
Ray(?) Bailey did The Face.
Both Bailey & Whitney were pretty good artists.

ip icon Logged

Aratak

• VIP
message icon
Re: WANTED: Columbia Big Shot, Face, and Skyman
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 03:16:26 AM »

Gotta love Ogden Whitney. I own every Herbie except for #18 in paper. Whoever scanned those did a beautiful job.

Sadly, I haven't seen any original Skyman... I think someone scanned the "Return of Skyman" reprint book, though...
ip icon Logged

larrytalbot

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2006, 11:30:50 AM »

Hi bobS.  copied a Face story that was posted on a web site a while ago.  doesn't list source (Face Comics or Tony Trent). 
ip icon Logged

BobS

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: BobS
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2007, 07:09:00 PM »

Hi, Larry!
I copied probably the same Face story online somewhere.
Face (later Tony Trent) appeared mostly in Big Shot Comics.
There were maybe 3 or 4 issues of The Face as a 'solo' comic.

Bob
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 01:13:13 PM »

Sorry for digging up such an old post, but I was wondering if anybody has found ANY issues of Skyman.
I'm bringing the character back in my upcoming book, Bounty Hunter, and really need some info on the character.

Any help would be great.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 03:46:19 PM »

There are some Skyman on the site BH.
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk//index.php?cid=150
:)
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 06:41:58 PM »

So there are.  Duh.

lol  Thanks.  I've downloaded all of them and am reading them now.  Hopefully I'll do the character justice.

Anyone know any good info sites on the character, or a history site or anything.

And this character is 100% in the public domain, right?  I found a site by the guy who did the Return of Skyman reprint and he had Skyman trademarked and copyrighted under his name on the site.  But the site was 8 years old.

ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 04:39:37 AM »

I e-mailed Ron frantz and he says he does indeed own this character now?

Anyway I can double check this?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 05:02:18 AM »

A place to start...

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,110.0.html

B.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 01:39:28 PM »

I'm not a lawyer, but I've done my share of reading on topics like this.  As I understand things (and as we've discussed a few times around here in different contexts), a "character" has a few parts:

First, you have history, which comes from the character's stories.  Those may once have been copyrighted, and that copyright was up for renewal (before the law changed massively).  If there wasn't any copyright, or if the copyright wasn't renewed, then the story is in the public domain, which means you may use any or all of the original document in any way you choose.

However, there's a second part, which is more important in some cases:  Trademark.  You know those Fleischer-produced Superman serials?  They're public domain.  Does that mean you can adapt them into a Superman comic without DC's permission?  No, because DC (Warner Brothers) owns the trademark to Superman, his costume, and his supporting cast.  Basically, you can't use as your "mark of trade" (an identifying feature of your work) something that somebody else is using; the courts feel that's unfair, since a customer can't easily determine which product came from which creator.

In almost every case, that means you can use the character, but you can't make the character prominent on the packaging, advertising, or similar trade appearance details.

There may also be patent issues (especially design patents for costumes), but that seems to be extremely rare, and the protection doesn't last long enough to worry about.

So, check the copyrights and renewals on the stories, to ensure what you're using is in the public domain (and never take anybody else's word for it, in case you are sued).  Search the Patent and Trademark Office for active trademarks related to the character.

Frantz probably owns an active trademark, if I had to guess, which blocks other people from announcing that a new comic stars Skyman, or using the name in the title (though the Patent and Trademark Office website is going to have a more accurate definition).
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 07:16:13 AM »

I checked on the Patent Office site and got nothing, just Skymen, which I believe was an old line of action figures.

hmmm

I really want to use Skyman, but if anyone knows of any other character who is really cool, and is for sure Public domain, let me know.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 07:19:49 AM by BountyHunter »
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 09:04:15 AM »

DC Comics also had their own 'Skyman' for a short time in the 1980's, in reality a revamped Star-Spangled Kid so they may also have a claim on the name now  :( .

-Nigel
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 02:59:19 PM »

Centaur's Airman should be available
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2008, 04:47:44 PM »

I checked on the Patent Office site and got nothing, just Skymen, which I believe was an old line of action figures.
hmmm
I really want to use Skyman, but if anyone knows of any other character who is really cool, and is for sure Public domain, let me know.

Actually, I zoned out, because you can also probably sue on an unregistered trademark.  By that, I mean that if I run a magazine called "Heroes of the 1940s," and you later start a similarly themed magazine named "Heroes of the 1950s," then (even if I didn't register a trademark) I can argue that you're trying to use the goodwill I created, effectively stealing my business.

(But I doubt that's what Frantz means--have you considered asking him how it's covered?  If you suggest it's so you can protect whatever project you end up working on, I'm sure he wouldn't get defensive, and it'll turn up what he thinks he's done.)

That said, the Skyman character--as he appears in his copyright-lapsed adventures--is absolutely public domain.  As long as your covers and advertising don't prominently draw attention to your use of the character (and you don't use any ideas that are covered under copyright), there can't be grounds for infringement.

If you want a different character, though, I'd recommend randomly selecting an issue or two of any Centaur, Fox, Rural, or Chesler book.  You're guaranteed to find some wild stuff, at least something of which has to fit your definition of "really cool," whatever that may be.
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 06:39:06 PM »

l believe he brought the rights to the character from the original owner Vincent Sullivan
http://www.ditko.comics.org/ditko/artist/arskyfra.html

We on the site deal with public domain comics, the copyright records are all we are interested in, since that is what we have on the site, the original comic. Just because the comic is public domain does not mean the character is l would have no idea what sort of legal hoops you would have to go through to get permission to use a character created by someone else, let alone one that was published.  You could perhaps ask the original copyright owner about the matter, he might not have given or intended Ron Frantz to have exclusive rights to the character. You could ask a lawyer about any possible impediments to you using the character, since the only copyright records l could find were for some skyman artwork from the 80's and there seems to be no trademark records. l have no idea as to how the intellectual property law would apply in a legal dispute, but the online copyright records do not show new copyright registrations, only renewals Ace comics published a one shot Return of the Skyman in 1987 which Ron Frantz owns the copyright of, so l would think you would have to pay to use the character, but l would suggest seeking legal advice.
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 04:44:45 AM »

I haven't had a chance to read over these comics yet.  Do any of them contain stories with the Vulture Men?
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 10:36:32 AM »

I'm closing in on my very own copy of Skyman #2.  I'll TRY and scan it if I get the thing.  Never scanned a comic before.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 05:31:05 PM »

Sounds great BH!  Looking forward to seeing it.
There are some other threads on the board talking about scanning techniques you can read.

Good luck!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 04:53:21 AM »

OKay so I won the Skyman #2 for 110 bucks.  I'll let you guys know when it shows up.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 04:56:41 AM »

Bounty, what grade was the Skyman#2 you won?

OKay so I won the Skyman #2 for 110 bucks.  I'll let you guys know when it shows up.
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »

It was graded at 4.5 VG+.

I talked the guy down from 250 dollars, so I'm happy regardless.  I just want the stories, and 4.5 grading is good enough for me.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »

A vg+ is still a pretty tight book for it's age. Congratulations.

It was graded at 4.5 VG+.

I talked the guy down from 250 dollars, so I'm happy regardless.  I just want the stories, and 4.5 grading is good enough for me.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 07:22:23 PM »

Sparky Watts 4 is from narfstar and contains an extra bonus partial unknown bigshot.
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 10:19:13 PM »

Cool. I'm gonna go check that out right now.
ip icon Logged

BountyHunter

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 04:45:45 AM »

Well, my copy of the Skyman #2 finally showed up today.  Unfortunately, my scanner is all packed away at the moment.

I'll try and get some scans up as soon as I'm in my new place.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.