in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,819 books
 New: 188 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Site Upgrade / Downtime 28th October between 9am - 4pm GMT

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Site Upgrade / Downtime 28th October between 9am - 4pm GMT  (Read 15635 times)

Serj

• VIP
message icon
Site Upgrade / Downtime 28th October between 9am - 4pm GMT
« on: October 28, 2008, 11:46:47 PM »

I have been planned a GAC upgrade for past few weeks and informed the staff about this 1 month ago but due to starting a new job and working two other jobs at same time I have not been able to carry it out till now. So tomorrow between 9am and 4pm the site will undergo a upgrade.

So during this upgrade period if the site displays strange errors or is unavailable please do not panic.

After the upgrade chances are most of you won't notice any changes as much of the code being upgraded is behind the scene code. The main focus of the upgrade is the download script which will hoepfully fix a few of the problems that have been bugging us for over a year. The forum will also be upgrades slightly to fix a few small behind the scene issues.

Main fix will be users having problems with site saying they exceeded their limits already when they not downloaded a thing or ones with password issues but we won't know if those problems been fixed till after the upgrade so fingers crossed.

Thanks,
Serj

P.s.any questions post them here and ill try my best to answer them.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 05:59:23 PM by Serj »
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: Site Upgrade / Downtime 28th October between 9am - 4pm GMT
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:17:33 AM »

Thank you for your labors involving the site.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 09:29:18 AM »

Site has just been backed up so expect some downtime/errors on main download script shortly as the upgrade starts. I would advise you do not use the download script until I give the all clear. Even if it looks like its working until I've fully tested it I'm not sure of any bugs so please go make a cup of tea or post in forums instead :)
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:09:59 AM »

Quick update:

The download script at goldenagecomics.co.uk has been upgraded now and few other fixes implemented.

Your job as users is to test it out by using it like you would normally do so.

The fixes implemented should solve the upload page so those with permissions can upload via the website again but remember if its a large large file its best to use the FTP instead. Also login errors experienced with some users alot of the time should now also be fixed.

Soooo people with upload permissions please upload comics via the script instead of FTP and report back to me if it works.

People with login problems normally try again and let me know if any problems.

Any errors found please PM me asap or post in help section.

Thanks,
Serj
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 09:31:01 PM »

I just uploaded Sharpy Fox and it worked fine
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 09:41:20 PM »

I just uploaded Sharpy Fox and it worked fine

Thank you for testing :)
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:34:15 PM »

Just downloaded Weird Tales of the Future and it worked well.

Great books by the way.
ip icon Logged

dourycomics

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: dourycomics
message icon
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 01:06:49 PM »

well , it doesn't seem to work with me : my allowed file limits stays at 0 days , 0 hours , 0 minutes since 3 days
how can i change it ?
i tried to log out , then log in again , doesn't work ???
thanks
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:38:28 PM »

Accourding to the admin panel on the site you do have bandwidth on your account so log into your account again, go to the User Control Panel on front page and see what it says and refresh it. Try grabbing a file and see if errors come up.

If still doesnt work reply to the PM I sent you earlier today.
ip icon Logged

Exidor

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Exidor
message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2008, 02:37:04 AM »

I'm still getting the following when attempting to log on main site:

Error: Login failed... There was an error locating the details for this user
Failed inside $this->usertype->do_login()
. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin
ip icon Logged

drduck482002

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: drduck482002
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2008, 06:34:04 PM »

Me, too. I've tried changing my Registration, logging in via the message board, changing my password and even re-registering with a dbut I keep getting this message when I try to login at GoldenAgeComics.co.uk. Sorry to be so dense, but is there something else I should try?
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2008, 08:12:36 PM »

Hi. I, too, get an error message saying I can't download because the site doesn't recognize my URL. Any way to fix this, anybody? Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

drduck482002

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: drduck482002
message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2008, 09:24:52 PM »

OK, now it's letting me login but when I try to download, I get the following message:
Reset limits is off. When either of your limits reach zero you will not be allowed to download any more files.
Remaining bandwidth:    0 B remaining
Bandwidth time remaining:    0 Days, 0 Hours, 0 Minutes
Files remaining:    0 files remaining
Files time remaining:    0 Days, 0 Hous, 0 Minutes
Thanks.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 11:35:52 PM »

OK, now it's letting me login but when I try to download, I get the following message:
Reset limits is off. When either of your limits reach zero you will not be allowed to download any more files.
Thanks.

Ok this is a new problem. Let me look up why you are getting this now and ill post back with a fix/solution.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 11:41:03 PM »

Thanks.

Ok this is a new problem. Let me look up why you are getting this now and ill post back with a fix/solution.

Ok can you now test to see if that message has vanished. If not can you PM me your password so I can log in and see error and try fix it as everything looks fine this end.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2008, 11:42:19 PM »

Hi. I, too, get an error message saying I can't download because the site doesn't recognize my URL. Any way to fix this, anybody? Cheers, Jeff

No idea sorry. Can you copy/paste the exact error message here please as not sure if any error message has URL in it other than wrong session id that mentions coming from another site. Post back here and ill chase problem up further.
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2008, 11:43:08 PM »

I'm still getting the following when attempting to log on main site:

Error: Login failed... There was an error locating the details for this user
Failed inside $this->usertype->do_login()
. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin

If your still getting the problem PM me your username/password. Be sure to try all fixes in FAQ first and then PM me.
ip icon Logged

Duck MD

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Duck MD
message icon
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 01:25:43 AM »

It's working fine now. Thanks for all your help. It's great to get these seasonal books today!
ip icon Logged

ambrotype

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: ambrotype
message icon
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2008, 05:51:26 AM »

Thanks for the time and trouble to keep this site running.
Today (my first log in since the Update to the site) i recieved the following message when trying to download a file;

Error: No refering URL was found. The admin has chosen not to allow downloads from users with no refering urls. This is usually because you are using a firewall that blocks this URL. Disabling or closing your firewall will often solve this problem and allow you to download files.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin

I am a computer novice and would like to know what this means and what I may need to do to continue downloading these great books.
Respectfully,
Tim (Ambrotype)
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2008, 01:46:07 PM »

Thanks for the time and trouble to keep this site running.
Today (my first log in since the Update to the site) i recieved the following message when trying to download a file;

Error: No refering URL was found. The admin has chosen not to allow downloads from users with no refering urls. This is usually because you are using a firewall that blocks this URL. Disabling or closing your firewall will often solve this problem and allow you to download files.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin
Tim (Ambrotype)

Do you happen to have a firewall install on your computer? The error message is coming up as site trackers what page you come from when you attempt to download a file etc. The reason for this feature is to stop websites out there directly linking to our download urls and bypassing our site completely.

Let me know what firewall you have as chances are you have maybe Norton software and the firewall is set up with extra privacy rules to strip referrals from you when browsing net.

I'm also considering turning this feature off as if a website does link to a file of ours then it means all users clicking on it will be guests I believe so they have 250mb to use per day so shouldn't be much of a problem. Ill have to test it out.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2008, 06:14:14 PM »

I received the same error message as ambrotype, and I do have Norton. After finally getting to log in, I'm still unable to download. No error message, but it acts just like I have no bandwidth remaining even though the user cp says I do. Is it possible my firewall is preventing the downloads? Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2008, 06:33:01 PM »

I received the same error message as ambrotype, and I do have Norton. After finally getting to log in, I'm still unable to download. No error message, but it acts just like I have no bandwidth remaining even though the user cp says I do. Is it possible my firewall is preventing the downloads? Cheers, Jeff

Try again and see if it works now.

If it doesn't go to your User Control Panel (UCP) and copy/paste how much bandwidth it says you have left here.

And any error messages you get on other parts of site also copy/paste to me.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2008, 08:47:54 PM »

Hi- still not working. Tried to log out and log in again- got a "password doesn't match error", but it logged me in anyway. UCP says I have unlimited bandwidth. When I'm low or out of bandwidth, my downloads say "open with internet explorer" instead of "open with CDisplay". Everytime I try to download, I'm getting the "open with internet explorer" message. Does this help? Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged

Serj

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2008, 08:50:51 PM »

Hi- still not working. Tried to log out and log in again- got a "password doesn't match error", but it logged me in anyway. UCP says I have unlimited bandwidth. When I'm low or out of bandwidth, my downloads say "open with internet explorer" instead of "open with CDisplay". Everytime I try to download, I'm getting the "open with internet explorer" message. Does this help? Cheers, Jeff

Well the open with internet explorer doesn't be a site problem.

Is it downloading a cbr/cbz format file? If so save it to your desktop/computer and see if it then opens with CDisplay etc?
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »

Hi. I'm pretty sure the problem was with my firewall- I had to tell it to allow Active X controls for this site. Seems to be working now. Thanks for all your help. Cheers, Jeff
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.