in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 715307 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #2325 on: October 01, 2014, 04:02:21 AM »

"when the kids were aloud to act the way they did without a good spanking several times I just could not take any more."

What the hell is that, a Spielberg film?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2326 on: October 01, 2014, 10:11:17 PM »

New series Mysteries of Laura
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2327 on: October 02, 2014, 12:23:48 AM »

Just watched SWAMP THING for either the 2nd or 3rd time (not sure, it's been a long time).

Somehow, this strikes me as being a better story and better made than ANY of the SUPERMAN movies from the same period.

Man, that Louis Jourdan sure can play some EVIL characters!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2328 on: October 02, 2014, 01:04:18 AM »

I have seen Swamp Thing a couple times and enjoy it. #2 not as good.
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2329 on: October 02, 2014, 02:49:15 AM »

I didn't really like the first one. And I never liked seeing Louis Jourdan as a villain--he was better as a leading man.

But THE RETURN OF SWAMP THING with Heather Locklear was a lot of fun--I appreciated that they didn't try to take everything so seriously.

It's funny, the first movie was directed by Wes Craven who is relatively respected as a horror film director. While the second was directed by Jim Wynorski who is a master of the exploitation movie, having directed nearly a hundred schlock shock pictures (most straight to video).

I guess I'll never get any awards for having superior taste in movies (or anything else).
ip icon Logged

mr_goldenage

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2330 on: October 02, 2014, 09:58:07 PM »

Watched the Movie Sparks. Got to say it was pretty close to the comic book and it was a really nice little movie. The other movies I watched were Winter Soldier, Iron Man 3, and Thor Dark World. I Liked Thor the best of the 3. Also bought off of Amazon a short called the Legacy of Miss Masque a 21 minute mini movie, not too bad, pretty much in line with the rest of the TomCat releases (Like Captain Battle or Avenging Force: The Scarab).

Richard
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2331 on: October 08, 2014, 11:56:56 PM »

A new season of MURDOCH MYSTERIES started this week. There were some scenes of shocking brutality--unlike what we're used to from previous seasons. The Victorian Era has truly ended. In another series, I might say they were just using the violence to hype the story, but the switch in tone goes with the history of Canada and the world, as 20th century politics get very messy.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2332 on: October 12, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »

Here's how my Fall TV watching is shaping up-

The Intruders-  Just finished it's brief run last night.
Manhattan-   Winding up in another episode or two.   Hope they bring it back for another season.
Dr Who-   Enjoying Peter Capldi's take on the character.
Haven-  Only Syfy series I'm currently watching.
Bones-  10 years and still going strong.
Criminal Minds-  Ditto-  Jennifer Love Hewitt joins the cast.
The Blacklist-  Spader rules.
Agents of SHIELD-  Enjoyed seeing Crusher Creel/Absorbing Man going up against the agents.
Sleepy Hollow-  Plot-wise they seem to throw in everything but the kitchen sink.
Gotham-  I'm liking this one so far (especially the villains).
Once Upon a Time-  The addition of the Frozen characters is okay and has certainly given the show a ratings boost.
The Mysteries of Laura-  Picked up this one on a whim.   Somewhat amusing so far.  We'll see how it develops.

Arrow and The Flash-  Premiered this week but I haven't watched them yet.

The Walking Dead-   Premiering tonight.  Looking forward to it.

Yet to premiere but I hope to watch- Grimm, Constantine, The 100 and Elementary.

One of my busier seasons in a while.

Best

Joe

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2333 on: October 12, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »

I have only liked two episodes of the new Dr Who so far. Capaldi has been kinda boring to me. SHIELD I like and Once Upon a Time and Gotham. I have not yet watched Arrow of Flash. I started watching Laura but quit when she did not discipline her horrible children
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2334 on: October 13, 2014, 04:49:33 PM »

Given that I'm not a huge fan of the new version of Doctor Who, I have enjoyed Capaldi's version.  The Caretaker one was great entertainment.  Never mind the stories - I usually watch the start and seldom watch to the end.  But Capaldi seems alien, manic, funny, sarcastic, cold and a pleasure to watch.
Despite my thinking Lewis was finished, there is a new series which started last week.  Lewis is tempted back to help out Hathaway - now an Inspector - and his new sergeant played by Angela Griffin.  This was part 1 of a 2 parter.  Intriguing story and I definately want to see this one through.
This is the ITV Player but I doubt you'll be able to use it outside the U.K.
https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/lewis/series-8/episode-1-entry-wounds-part-1
At the pictures last night we saw the Helen Mirren film, "The Hundred-Foot Journey".  Very good, lightweight entertainment.  And some of the scenery is beautiful.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2335 on: October 16, 2014, 03:58:39 PM »

This morning:
"INVASION OF THE DINOSAURS part one"
One of the 2 Jon Pertwee episodes I do not have in my collection, and have never seen before.  Apart from the other one (which didn't crsoss my mind at the time), I've watched EVERY Pertwee story in sequence this time around, and figured, why not go online and see if someone has it posted? They did, so I watched it.

A somewhat bizarre experience to be watching what was, for ME, a "brand new" Sarah Jane Smith episode. Although, I did read the novelization for this story YEARS before the other 5 parts made it to America back in the mid-80s.

Pertwee's a lot of fun in this.  Once he was able to use his TARDIS again, personality-wise, he actually started to be more like the "real" Doctor, which he had rarely ever been since "SPEARHEAD FROM SPACE" (before the shock set in that, yes, he really WAS stranded on Earth).  Sarah's a bit of a pain in this one.  It's really not until the very end of the 6-parter that she began to finally "lighten up".

Personally, ever since I first saw "THE TIME WARRIOR", it's been my impression that the Doctor took to her immediately, quite possibly, because she reminded him of himself!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2336 on: October 17, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »

Personally, ever since I first saw "THE TIME WARRIOR", it's been my impression that the Doctor took to her immediately, quite possibly, because she reminded him of himself!

I just watched the first installment of "THE TIME WARRIOR".
I really like the look of the Pertwee episodes, excellent props and costuming.
I agree with your view on the Dr and Sarah. Of course everyone took to Sarah on first sight. A lovely girl, and still a looker when she grew older.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2337 on: October 17, 2014, 11:17:39 PM »

As I think I said before, I don't see what all the fuss is about with Sarah Jane. But then I wasn't watching these shows when they first aired. Maybe if I was a boy, there would be something that she has that would entice me.

Following after Jo Grant, she just can't compete in my eyes. And what's really off-putting is the way she talks. She sounds like someone who is upper class and insists on letting everyone know it.

Also there's not much chemistry with Pertwee. And there's a kind of sadness that hangs over his final season as the Doctor.

Once Sladen and Baker get familiar with each other, they have a nice rapport and Sarah is an all right companion. But I find her merely innocuous.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2338 on: October 18, 2014, 01:13:13 AM »

I kinda agree with Jimmm
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2339 on: October 18, 2014, 02:32:12 PM »

Oh no. Surely not.  Sarah Jane is quite wonderful.  Nuff said.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2340 on: October 18, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »

My first view of Sarah-- as with most Americans, no doubt-- was in "Robot".  In there, she basically reminded of an English version of "Lois Lane".  :)

She grew on me... A LOT!!! So it took quite a bit for me to get to like Leela. (Seeing so many of these stories out of sequence-- it took months for my PBS station to get things straightened out-- didn't help.) On the other hand, I liked Romana from the start. It was hilarious to see her classy (and a bit conceited) brush up against Baker, who winds up trying to hard to impress her while falling over himself as he does so.

I had a friend for a lot of years who in some ways reminded me of Sarah, personality-wise. Unfortunately, I had a falling-out with her a few years ago. I'm afraid it colored my reaction to watching Sarah since then.  What I mean is... the last time I watched my ENTIRE collection, I actually wound up liking EVERY girl on the show more than I ever had... except for Sarah, who, shockingly, "didn't do it" for me anymore.

There's also Tegan... I NEVER liked her, and I STILL can't stand her! Which is sad, as, in person, Janet Fielding is a very nice person. But then, that goes for just about every regular on the show during JNT's entire run as producer. Except for Sylvester McCoy. HE became my favorite Doctor-- after I'd seen ALL the others!!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 03:19:19 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2341 on: October 19, 2014, 03:25:02 AM »

Leela is one of my favourites. Except for maybe the very first story she was in, I liked every story that featured her. And she had nice chemistry with K9.

It's too bad she caught that bad sickness that so many other companions caught. That sickness that makes them fall in love with some guy they've only known for five minutes and leave eveything else behind to spend their lives with that guy. Of all the companions, she was the one I would have bet on beating that illness.

Some day I hope to get to listen to all the audio stories. Too bad they aren't available like OTR. I really would like to hear those actors such as Louise Jameson, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann as they continue their adventures.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2342 on: October 19, 2014, 07:23:51 AM »

I thought Capaldi was a bit awkward in the first episodes, almost as if he wasn't really sure how he should play the Doctor. I believe his performances are getting stronger as the season progresses. Or maybe I'm just getting used to his take on the character. Some good scripts this year- a bit less action and more character-driven stories. Hope the writers can strike a good balance between those two elements. I'm even starting to like Clara a bit this year- she's actually becoming less self-centered and more of a mature and useful character. She still can't hold a candle to Rose, Amy, or Sarah Jane.
Also enjoying the new "Lewis" episodes and "Gotham". Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2343 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:45 PM »

I think that Twelve's awkwardness in his role was covered in the script. He's new at being the Doctor and not sure what kind of Doctor he will be. So Capaldi was just playing what's in the script. I'm sure he could have given a different performance if that's what they wanted from him. His Doctor is supposed to show different aspects of the previous Doctors coming through.

This has been something with all the Doctors, especially right after regeneration, as they get used to their new body, new mind.

Even the First Doctor was awkward in the beginning--not sure of what was right or wrong.

Jenna Coleman is probably my favourite actor to appear on DOCTOR WHO since Freema Agyeman.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2344 on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:06 PM »

I think Freema is the pretties of the companions. Clara and Amy are more in the cute category. I did not care for the first couple of Capaldi episodes but the last couple have been better. I liked the 2D concept and enjoyed it a lot in the very first episode of Outer Limits.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2345 on: October 20, 2014, 02:23:14 AM »

I was totally surprised when Freema Agyeman was tapped to be the Doctor's companion, but she did an outstanding job. She is a well-rounded actress who is able to play just about anything. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2346 on: October 20, 2014, 05:05:46 PM »

Freema Agyeman is partly responsible for my interest in DOCTOR WHO. I had seen and liked her in LAW & ORDER: UK. Then when I was in Vienna, the little TV I had in my room provided by the language program only had one English channel and I happened to turn on "Smith and Jones," a few mintues late, so I didn't know it was DOCTOR WHO. Recognizing Agyeman, I began to watch it--figured out this must be DOCTOR WHO. And when I returned home from my studies, that's when I started to binge-watching DOCTOR WHO.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2347 on: October 20, 2014, 10:33:32 PM »

"Except for maybe the very first story she was in"

"PLANET OF THE IDIOTS"  (not the real title)  It's no wonder she wanted to get the hell away from there.  She was the most intelligent person on the planet!

"Don't you like me?"
"Well yes I suppose I do like you. But I can't go carting everyone I like all around the universe."

Good thing she didn't let that stop her.   ;D
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2348 on: December 07, 2014, 12:01:46 AM »

Just watched a recent film that is full of surprises, based on an Egar Allen poe short story. I recommend that if you haven't read it you don't look up the story till after you watch the film. Too many twists that would be spoiled.
It stars such great actors as Micheal Caine, Ben Kingsley, David Thewlis, and Brendon Gleason, plus many fine character actors you may or may not recognize. The cast seems to be mostly veteran UK actors.

The plot will remind you of the best of the old style Horror comics, and the visual effect is much in that style.

The title is "Stonehearst Asylum".
ip icon Logged

jimmm kelly

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2349 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:18 PM »

Yesterday, I was reminded of the TV series ROOM 222, so I watched the first two episodes on youtube. Amazon has DVDs for seasons 1 and 2--I've put them on my wishlist and might buy them when the price comes down. Do they air this show on cable?

This was a really great series and watching it now reminds me a lot of what it was like back in the late '60s/early '70s--except the kids in my high school weren't so old looking. That TV show taught me a lot. Well, it was created by James L. Brooks and the title music was by Jerry Goldsmith.

The wikipedia article on ROOM 222 says that it was in a Friday night timeslot on ABC for most of its run, in between THE BRADY BUNCH and THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY--before it--and THE ODD COUPLE and LOVE AMERICAN STYLE--after it. And my family watched every one of those shows.

Networks now send shows to Friday to die, but back then Friday night was the best night for TV. There was no school the next day and I didn't have to worry about homework, so I could park myself in front of the TV and stay up a little later than usual.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.