in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Weekly GA Related Swag

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

topic icon Author Topic: Weekly GA Related Swag  (Read 137980 times)

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Weekly GA Related Swag
« on: April 19, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »

In order to keep my clutter to a minimum, I decided to create a topic in which I review any new comics that are GA related. Items discussed may not be new on a particular week, but if its worth discussing, I hope to get to it.

This week I understand that Marvel's Torch #7 is due in stores. If so, I will review it, and future items in this thread.

I also welcome thread jacking so folks can discuss their own purchases.  :)

B.   ;D
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
Re: Weekly GA Related Swag
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:53:50 AM »

I just never got into Marvel's Golden-Age tie-in books - even durring Roy Thomas' era, they seemed forced - there really wasn't the strong foundation at MARVEL that he had with the JSA when he created All-Star Squadron. (Although his "Human Torch" mini-series a few years ago was good.)

Now DC has always been good about their past (except when Mike Carlin was Head Editor of DC in the Early 1990's - he didn't like the GA Characters).

The JSA is all over the place next few months - lead-up and cross over with JLA in their title, the appearance in the last two issues of SHIELD, The Brightest Day Hawkman/Hawkgirl apperances, and the two JSA regular titles.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:16:21 PM »

Gave up on JSA and most modern comics a while ago.  It was becoming too heavy and when it's a chore to read them it's time to stop.  With a few noticable exceptions.  The main one being The Phantom and if you check out the site below you will find listings and reviews of Frew, Egmont, Moonstone and other publishers Phantom comics. (including up to date thinks from and about Dynamite)  The Phantom is just about the best and as he's been going since 1936, he's stood the test of time.  Yes, I know it's a newspaper strip. And the strip was much better entertainment than many comics - in my opinion.  But for decades there have been new, non newspaper stories produced.  You can read them in Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish (I think) and if you don't understand those languages, the Frew issues publish English translations.  Much of the Moonstone material has been very good entertainment and will continue to be published for a while yet.  I just bought Phantom/ Captain Action #1 - good stuff and a great line - "or, he really is a ghost" and I'm not a big Captain Action fan.  Apart from those lovely Gil Kane issues.

http://www.chroniclechamber.com/
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 11:36:05 PM »

;D ;D ;D Happy New Comics Wednesday!!!  ;D ;D ;D

DC's FirstWave: The Spirit #1 is on the stands. I did not purchase it because I am one of those odd fellows who simply does not get The Spirit at all...I prefer Quality's Midnight from Smash Comics instead.  ;D

I will have a few comments on a couple of other titles later tonight!

EDIT: Well, I have to say that Torch #7 is simply proof that this mini series has gone two issues too long. There isn't anything exciting about this book anymore, finish it out if you've come this far.

And um, that's really it for anything of note from my purchases this week. See ya next Wednesday (knock on beancounters' heads).

B.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:13:34 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 09:04:52 PM »

Howdy!

Word on the street is that Captain America #605 & Justice Society of America #38 are due this week, both of which I plan to comment on Wednesday night along with any other surprises that show up on the shelves.

I wish that #8 of The Marvels Project would show up already!!!

B.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 09:13:27 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 01:32:05 AM »

Captain America #605, Justice Society of America #38, and The Web #8 all hit the stands today.

Here are my comments.

Ed Brubaker concludes a three issue storyline in this month's Captain America, which leads to the 1950s Cap getting a bit more than he planned for in his efforts to ignite revolution in the United States. This issue is a bit more balanced than the two previous episodes, with no political partisan blather promoting Left or Right. Artists Luke Ross, Butch Guice, and Dean White provide a solid visual. The backup "NOMAD" feature, chronicling the adventures of the Rob Liefeld era female Bucky, remains bland and makes you wish it was gone from the book so that the price could drop to $2.99 -- who needs an extra less than feature for an extra $1.00?  Regardless, if you are a Captain America fan, run out and secure issues 603-605 for an overall entertaining read.

Under Bill Willingham, The Justice Society continues to underwhelm. The only thing Golden Age here are a few characters who carry certain names and legacies. In good faith I cannot recommend this series to anyone as long as it is following its lackluster direction -- however, as you all know, I am enough of a JSA junkie that I torture myself with every issue, so who am I to tell anyone to skip this series?  ::)

The Web continues to remain a solid offering from DC Comics. The main story continues to develop from the Red Circle preview and promises to end with a solid telling in #10. The Hangman backup feature is still one of the best things about the troubled MLJ reboot, and makes The Web a 'must buy' regardless.

Btw, word on the street is that Dark Horse is planning new offerings of Doctor Solar, Magnus, and Turok. I expect good things.

As always, comments are welcomed, disagreements hoped for, and your continued support of GAC appreciated.

B.  :D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:39:01 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 10:28:27 AM »

I too am a JSA junkie getting it out of loyalty. I have switched to trades for it and JLA. Much better to read the whole story arc. Did not enjoy the Gog saga. I am going to have to check out the Web. I have avoided DC's butchering of my beloved characters. Free Comic book day has a Magnus/Solar preview !!!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 07:54:14 AM »

Trouble with this is, I'm not sure what this weeks are.  Especially now when my local comic shop hasn't had a delivery in a couple of weeks (same with a lot of U.K shops, with the noticeable exception of you know who) because of the volcano flight ban.  I picked up half a dozen comics yesterday, but they aren't this weeks.  As well, I don't bother with a standing order and pick up titles when and if I fancy them.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 07:40:26 PM »

Trouble with this is, I'm not sure what this weeks are.  Especially now when my local comic shop hasn't had a delivery in a couple of weeks (same with a lot of U.K shops, with the noticeable exception of you know who) because of the volcano flight ban.  I picked up half a dozen comics yesterday, but they aren't this weeks.  As well, I don't bother with a standing order and pick up titles when and if I fancy them.

:-[ :-[ :-[  That volcano certainly is causing a mess.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 03:44:43 AM »

Word on the street is that May 5th will bring:

JSA All Stars #6
Captain America Black Panther Flags of Our Fathers #2
Buck Rogers #11

B.
ip icon Logged

deni

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 04:28:47 AM »

I agree with a lot of paw's comments on the Phantom (I still enjoy the writing in the daily newspaper strip).

But  I disagree about the JSA comments.   The JSA has long been removed from its GA origins.   There is nothing in its flavor which suggests it wasn't created in the 1970's or 1980's.

I like it best when GA characters are done in a modern style while still retaining some of the flavor of the Golden Age story telling.
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 05:47:19 AM »

...But  I disagree about the JSA comments.   The JSA has long been removed from its GA origins.   There is nothing in its flavor which suggests it wasn't created in the 1970's or 1980's.
I like it best when GA characters are done in a modern style while still retaining some of the flavor of the Golden Age story telling.

I disagree with your disagree  :)

There's no such thing as Golden Age story telling - just QUALITY Storytelling. That goes for all eras of comics. (and pulps)

The JSA is still rooted in it's GA origins - you have 2 founding members (3 when Hawkman returns to the comic next year) ,1 later member,1 honorary member, and legacy members with direct connection to founding,later or honorary members or All-Star Squadron Members.  There's not a single character in the books who doesn't have a GA connection. (Actually,or retroactive) Their mission is still the same - protecting America, as well as training the next generation.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 11:15:06 PM »

No Captain America Black Panther Flags of Our Fathers #2 at my retailers, but  Buck Rogers #11 & JSA: All-Stars #6. Chances are I won't have anything else to say about them, but you never know.

BTW, get your reservations in for Green Hornet Golden Age Remastered #1 because it is being solicited in Previews this month. It would be nice to encourage Dynamite to reprint Golden Age gems. Oh, and the new Doc Solar & Magnus books are being solicited also.

B.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 11:17:19 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

deni

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2010, 06:33:19 AM »

Different tastes do allow for a greater variety of books to be published.
I liked the style of The Twelve from Marvel - too bad it was never properly completed.

And I agree that quality story telling is what's most important.   Though some books have had a basic concept which does not seem that fresh or interesting,  it is the quality of writing which has lead me to read them.   (including some very enjoyable JSA stories).

Dynamite seems to be the one to watch, at the moment.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 06:48:54 AM by deni »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 03:16:42 PM »

The following titles are slotted to hit the shelves this week: The Marvels Project #8 (final issue), Agents of Atlas (Marvel Greatest Comics edition) #1, Green Hornet Strikes #1, Shield #9, Uncle Scrooge #391, Doc Savage #2, First Wave #2, Magog #9, Kato #1, and Black Terror #10.

BTW, I am going to make an effort to list what is Golden/Silver Age associated (sometimes in the loosest of terms) with the weekly offerings hitting the stands -- please note that I am not going to necessarily purchase anything listed, but I still hope that those of you who do read these titles will comment on them for everyone else who might be interested in trying them out. Thanks!

B.  :)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 08:40:01 PM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 02:26:15 AM »

This week I walked away with a few items worth mentioning.

First Wave #2 remains the better of the DC First Wave titles. The Brian Azzarello story offered fast paced action featuring the Blackhawks, The Spirit and Ebony, The Avenger, Doc Savage, and Batman, as depicted by Rags Morales and Nei Ruffino's fantastic color work.

Doc Savage #2 confuses more than the first issue. My spirits were not encouraged by the Justice Inc. story this time either. I have to confess that I am going to give up on this title.

Remember that I dropped The Shield reboot a while back. Well, this week I am back on for the last two issues (#9 & #10) and have asked my retailer to secure issues 7 & 8 so that I can read the first two parts of The Fox backup feature. Why would I return to what has to be the poorest offering of the Red Circle set? The Justice Society of America appearing in the last two issues -- yes, a sales ploy, but it works on some of us weak minded JSA junkies.  ::)  Honestly, this story wasn't that bad at all. Perhaps Eric S. Trautmann should be given the main JSA book?  ;D

The Heroic Age: Prince of Power #1 (of 4) is within that Hulk/Hercules set, but it is worth picking up to see a preview of the new Agents of Atlas storyline, and it looks promising. As long as we are on Marvel..."Father, forgive the House of Ideas for the upcoming Young Allies series. We know that it shall be an amusing thing and some of us will purchase it, forgive us also."  Look for the new INVADERS book also; I think it will be a winner.

And lastly, speaking of The Invaders, the end has come for The Marvels Project with #8. Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting, and Dave Stewart deliver a winning conclusion that makes the entire run a must-read for all serious Golden Age geeks. Here we treated to the origin of the original Invaders team of Cap, Bucky, Namor, Torch and Toro. Cameos by Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos, John Steele, The Thunderer, Phantom Reporter, Red Raven, Dynamic Man, The Patriot, and Citizen V, round out a critical hint of the The Angel's coming legacy. I urge you to seek out the entire series, or at least purchase the series when it is put in trade form because you will not disappointed. The Marvels Project represents top notch storytelling, quality art, and constant enjoyment.

And that my installment of this week's "Weekly GA Related Swag" -- comments, corrections, thoughts from those of you who read this week's Black Terror, and the Green Hornet books are especially welcomed.  ;D ;D ;D

B.

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

I seem to be a bit behind on some of the new titles but having read Kato #1, I'd have to say I was not impressed with either story or art. Spirit #1, on the other hand was most enjoyable especially as I was sure I wouldn't like it having been seriously unhappy with the previous series.  Perhaps I'm more prepared to read a classic character as done by other creators.  Art was well done and atmospheric and, I thought, looked really good and accomplished.  The Bill (can never spell his 2nd name) back up just looked so good. 
I only picked up Victorian Zombies (the Sherlock Holmes comic)  at #5 - I'm always at the coo's tail - and bought #6 at the weekend.  Building up the expectation by holding off reading it till tomorrow.  hope I'm not disappointed.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2010, 06:06:46 PM »

Thanks to Diamond for "misremembering" to ship to my local shop today.  :'(

My part in W.G.R.S. this week, will have to wait until the weekend.  :-\

B.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »

DC Universe: Legacies #1 (of 10) has something that The Marvel's Project lacked -- a flesh and blood Golden Age Legend as part of the creative team! Artistic legend, Joe Kubert, provides inks for the pencilwork of his son, Andy. Sandman and The Atom play active roles in this first issue, but Scoop Scanlon (of Action Comics fame) fills the backup feature with tales of Zatara, The Spectre and Dr. Fate. This first issue (with Len Wein's storytelling) promises an entertaining series that stretches beyond the Golden Age era of Marvel's Project, into the current DC Universe in later issues. This one is a winner gang! Go out and get your copy asap!  ;D

Justice League of America #45 continues the set up for the next JLA-JSA team up. JSA fans have no real choice but to purchase it regardless of its "Brightest Day" tie in. Fortunately James Robinson & Mark Bagley deliver an interesting story featuring Supergirl and Power Girl going toe to toe!  ;D

Fans of DC's FirstWave The Spirit, should know that mythic talent, Harlan Ellison, is scripting #2's black and white backup feature.

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 01:13:49 AM »

I agree that Legacies is a winner. I had it added to my pull list. It was a good fun book. I do not like magic heroes so Scoop reporting made them palatable.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »

Fans of DC's FirstWave The Spirit, should know that mythic talent, Harlan Ellison, is scripting #2's black and white backup feature.

B.  ;D

I agree that Ellison's "talent" is a myth, boox. He used to be great, but that was a LONG time ago.

my 2
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 04:51:28 PM »

B.  ;D

I agree that Ellison's "talent" is a myth, boox. He used to be great, but that was a LONG time ago.

my 2
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 06:15:35 PM »

I am a huge fan of Ellison's early work, say up till about 1980-85, Boog. After that, he seems to grow calculating and contrived and contrary and (more) contentious. The thing he's hasn't grown, IMHO, is more creative.

What's he done lately that you really like? The pose of "angry young man" is wearing quite old on him (again, IMHO).

Don't worry, he has my phone number if he wants to take issue with my opinion. Last time we spoke he spent ten minutes chewing me out for five typos in an issue of ImageS that I had hastened to the printer before having surgery. It wasn't an acceptable excuse. Fortunately, I'm in Paris right now, so all I'll get in the message on the answering machine...

Peace, Jim (|:{>

ps. the last time I saw him was at a reading in the early 80s at a bookstore in San Jose. After reading the story, he ACTUALLY SAID, "Do you get it? It's Joan of Arc!" to an audience of Harlan Ellison fans. T'was weird...
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2010, 03:41:18 AM »

I can't believe people still buy comic books here... I can't stand the recycled plots, the uninspired penciling/inking and poor coloring.  And that's when someone actually does pencil the darn thing. 

It's come to my attention recently that some of these folks use software to construct character forms and page layouts... not that that's necessarily a bad thing in and of itself when used properly... but it does give me a greater appreciation for the old timers who did it all by hand.   
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 03:47:09 AM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 03:59:36 AM »

I can't believe people still buy comic books here... I can't stand the recycled plots, the uninspired penciling/inking and poor coloring.  And that's when someone actually does pencil the darn thing. 

It's come to my attention recently that some of these folks use software to construct character forms and page layouts... not that that's necessarily a bad thing in and of itself when used properly... but it does give me a greater appreciation for the old timers who did it all by hand.   

Okay, I admit it -- Hi, I'm Boox909 and I am a comic book addict. Sometimes I hit the store twice a week to sample new stuff! There, I admit it! ::lol::   ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.