in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

My Pull List

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

topic icon Author Topic: My Pull List  (Read 32183 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
My Pull List
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:55:43 PM »

Seems ironic how little we post about the actual comics we read. Here is a forum for letting everyone know how you feel about your regulars. If you get them regularly you hopefully like something about them.

I just finished reading the HIT LIST AGENDA. This was a multi-mini-series event by Aspen. In 2009 Aspen put out Executive Assistant Iris and I liked the mini-series. This year they gave us 5 issues of Iris plus three other Executive Assistants in trilogies. I saved them up and read them in order.
I can't say it was great but it was a pretty good story. Aspen will be producing a v3 Iris and an ongoing Executive Assistant Assassins so I must not be the only one who like them. I will be getting both series.

Birds Of Prey is a very good read. I was disappointed to see Gail Simone leave the title and worried about the new 52. I really miss the old BoP but do like the new one.

Justice League International is another new 52 I continue to enjoy. I abandoned JLA after reading the first issue. I have read the others but did not like them especially the atypical Superman. JLI on the other hand has more of the 80's JLI feel.

Avengers Academy is my only Marvel pull and I still love it. Christos Gage rocks as a writer.

Near Death from Image is well worth checking out. A hitman has a near death experience that changes his life.

Samurai's Blood from Image was a six issue mini that I had pulled from the solicitations. Mistake. I should learn from experience to only pull after reading the first couple. I made the same mistake with Widow Warriors. You can guess I did not like it.

Red Spike from Image has been OK but it looks like the last issue may never come out.

FEMFORCE is a MUST get for anyone reading this. Now besides the always entertaining Femforce you get N.E.D.O.R. Agents. Taking the heroes from the classic GA and their offspring with great art by Will Meugniot. If you are not getting this call you LCS now.

Critter from Big Dog just ended her four issue run. Enjoyable old style superhero fun. Hope it comes back.
Legend of OZ: Wicked West also by Big Dog puts Dorothy on the Yellowbrick road in the old west. Excellent read I hope they get to finish it.

Orchid from Dark Horse is another one that I enjoy but is not holding up. I hope it picks back up.

John Carter books from Dynamite are starting to wear thin. I still enjoy them but too much of a good thing gets old. Same with their Green Hornet.
I still get the regular GH and Kato and continue to enjoy Kato more.

Star Trek/LSH not bad but I have to try to enjoy it on its merits because I hate alternate change the past/future stories.

Phoenix from Atlas has been just OK. Does anyone know if the Atlas Unified ever came out? It was on my list but I never got it.

MOONSTONE is hit and miss from Diamond. I may or may not get what I ask for. I have the first two Phases of the Moon but am not reading them until the third and final comes out if it comes out.

I guess I get more books that I thought. Please list your recommendations to get or avoid.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: My Pull List
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 04:04:22 PM »

I have very few titles on standing order, which is what we have here and I'm certain we are talking about the same thing.  So, currently I have only Near Death (Image); All Star Western (DC); Sixth Gun (Oni), if there are any more; Victorian Undead (Wildstorm), again, if there are any more. Alter Ego, 'cos you can't be without it. Anything else that takes my fancy, I buy off the shelf.  I can't get involved with DC nowadays and Marvel let me down badly with Hawkeye. 
What I do order (and this is something you can't order in advance) are the British newspaper strip reprints from ADCCC, in particular Buck Ryan; Paul Temple and as of my next order, the Harry Bishop version of Gunsmoke. I love these.
I was glad to see Near Death mentioned but Femforce, while I was a huge fan years ago, have a big collection of AC titles and recently followed your rec. on the title, left me feeling a bit underwhelmed.  (Aside, - I was once so keen on Femforce and AC when I was in the comic shop business that I managed to get 9 or 10 punters to add it to their standing orders).  I'm trying to say as nicely as possible that the art by Meugniot didn't appeal and I've never really enjoyed looking at his stuff.  I also dislike Synn, always have, and Tara is just one of the many jungle heroes that leave me cold.  I love the idea of the Nedor heroes but am I willing to spend the money?  I'd love to see AC and others be truly successful and I admire their sheer persistance.  As I write this I'm starting to think that I'll give it another try.
Sorry but I don't even recognise some of the titles mentioned and that's because shops here are cutting back hard on what they order, both in numbers and particular lines.  I really need to have a regular read at Previews and I don't often get the chance.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:33:07 PM »

I get my info from the free Comic Shop News. I can send you a mediafire link to CSN so you can keep up with what is coming.
http://www.mediafire.com/?b16tc6ncc06unxl
I make some good choices and some mistakes. I think you might like B. Clay Moore's Hawaiian Dick. He was offering sets for sale himself at a bargain. I can send you an email if you want to give them a try.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 08:03:00 PM »

Great. Thanks.  Off to get smartened up for the bells.  All the best.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:17:08 PM »

Not many of us chatting about what new(ish) comics we're reading but I don't mind boring you with my current comics of choice.  Saturday I visited my LCS and picked up my standing order, which included the latest issue of Near Death.  This is good, well fashioned entertainment and not a superhero in sight.
I'm saving All Star Western for an uninterrupted sit down with a cup of coffee and biccies.  Captain America looks so good and  - is that a Falcon I see on the cover? I have to leave Daredevil for a while till Dave in the comic shop finds me the inbetweenies or the tpb (I started at #1 a couple of weeks ago).  But the great find this time was Narfstar's recommendation, Hawaiian Dick, (Image). I got the tpb of series 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Private eye, Hawaii, 1953, noirish, weird goings on, great bad guy and so on.  I'll be treating myself to a 2nd. read very soon. And the 2nd. vol.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 02:38:47 PM »

Hawaiian Dick sounds interesting.  I'll have to check it out.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:58:10 PM »

As Paw and I agree on Hawaiian Dick you might want to try out our other common title Near Death. Not the humor of HD but a really good non-superhero read. BTW: B.Clay is on a Yahoo forum I am on and was selling some HD. He may have some more left.  B. Clay Moore <bclaymoore@gmail.com>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:30:55 AM »

Clay said he has copies of the first two trades left so you can contact him. at the above email. He will sign them for as he did mine if you want. He is not just a comic writer but a fan who participates.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:39:03 AM »

Narf, 

Thanks for the info. 

I already checked and found out that my local library has Hawaiian Dick Vol 1 and my LCS has both  Vol 1 & 2.  I'll check into Near Death too to see what is available.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 02:31:28 AM »

Here is the ones I currently have on pull, but that is going ot change here soon when the new Earth 2, World's Finest, and Dial H come out. I may forget a couple ...

JLA, of course. This is the origin story of how they met and came to face the threat of Darkseid together.

JLI, I like better then JLA but that could be because Booster Gold is in it. I find this time traveler wanna-be super hero from the future most fascinating.

Action Comics, with the sort of new beginning of Superman. Great art, too.

Batman: The Dark Knight, this one when the New 52 started out there was a lot of Batman titles to choose from and this one had the more traditional villains and I liked those so I went with it.

Batman & Robin, I also like Damian a lot so this is my second Bat title.

Batgirl, because I keep hoping Stephanie Brown will return somewhere. But the art is really good so I might stick with it.

DC Universe Presents, I thought Deadman was a boring character but he was presented in a interesting way and now we got a Challengers of the Unknown story arc and I like them so this title will stay on my list.

Blue Beetle, is my favorite co-star on the Batman B & tB cartoons. Dumb reason to buy a comic? Maybe, but it's the same reason I would buy Plastic Man, too. lol

Wonder Woman is finally going in a story arc I can get into with mythological characters and epic storylines. The art is different but you get used to it and it is not a traditional tights&capes title so I guess it works.

Superman, big blue always has a spot on my list.

Supergirl, little blue is always under-rated and is even more interesting I think as she frequently deals with Krypton stuff, at least lately. (Like, Candor shows up in her title more then Big Blue's)

Teen Titans, besides the awesome art this new story line has them out as fugitives and I wanna find out if they ever stop running from shadowy conspiracy groups.

Catwoman, At first I thought this was going to be like a continuation of the Gotham City Sirens title ... but it's not and I may drop it for one of the new ones like World's finest when it comes out. Too bad, artwork was pretty good.

Nightwing, because Dick Greyson is cooler then Bruce Wayne, lol

Red Hood & the Outlaws, doesn't seem to be going anywhere interesting so I may drop it after this arc and pick up Dial H or something instead. I wanted to see what they were doing with Starfire because I loved the old Teen titans but she is totally different since the reboot.

Green Lantern: New guardians, Kyle Rayner was my favorite lantern and this is his spotlight title. He hasn't changed much (thank gosh)

Justice League Dark, my wife loves reading supernatural and thriller comics so this is one we read together. lol

Aquaman, for some reason this was my most favorite New 52 book, the art is good and the writing is excellent. And it has Mera  ;D

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. is my gritty, boot to your face type comic. Sometimes a hero just has to be mean.

I've got two mini-series on my pull list Huntress, and My Greatest Adventure. If you're wondering about MGA look up Weird Worlds it is the sequel.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, totally re-done and still totally awesome.

Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, is about a school where kids learn to be good Evil Villains.

Funnies is Sergio Aragones's comic and it is funny. Loved his stuff since Mad Magazine and Groo comics.

I also collect Trade Paperbacks of the following characters and series whenever they come out: the Goon, Hellboy, Judge Dredd, and Fables. Mostly because their individual issue series are so sporadic with publication times.  

Of course, I left out Birds of Prey. I was worried too when Gail was leaving the series. But this new group is pretty cool , too. I especially like Katana and Starling.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 02:37:12 AM by CharlieRock »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 11:07:32 AM »

My only new 52 are JLI, BOP and TT but I too will probably give Dial H (I totally LOVED the original run), and Earth 2 WF. I was not impressed with the Challs story and I did not like the old Weird Worlds. I enjoyed Gladstones.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 04:51:13 PM »

Sorry folks but I can't get into the new 52, apart from All Star Western. And I don't like the Katana character. I was a big fan of Dial H for Hero when it started in House of Mystery - funny, quirky, silly and a wee bit different.  So, perhaps I will take a look.
But I think I'm going to add Fatale by Brubaker and Philips to my S.O.  I read the first 2 and, although it's a bit gory, there's something about the characters that intrigues me.  And then there is the mysterious, seemingly ageless, Josephine. 
Did I say how good Captain America looks?  Only umpteen times, I think. There are occasions when Alan Davis' art is gorgeous.  Or is it just me?
As for tpb's, I have the 2nd. Hawaiian Dick on order and the third collection of The Sixth Gun - which should be on everyones must read list.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 01:57:10 AM »

I invite those who would to give Saucer Country a try. It is different and it has me intrigued. Not completely sure where it is going so I will either love it or hate it when it concludes. Hopefully it will not be like lost and make me feel I had wasted hours of my life. In case you do not know it is about a Latina who is running for President with the baggage of having just been abducted by aliens.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 12:47:15 AM »

It seems that my something liking means it will not make it  long as my taste seem not to get much other support. But I do like Legend of Oz: The Wicked West pretty good, Milar's Secret Service and Super Crooks, and Takio, and Avengers Academy. I got tired of Green Hornet and John Carter. One that I think many may want to try is John Bryne TRIO. Seems like good old  fun comics.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:17:12 AM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »

i mostly get showcase and essentials but i will occasionally pickup hellboy,goon,all-star western and steve rude and  mike allred books.i would like to buy superman but its never any good.
ip icon Logged

josemas

message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:22 AM »

I've been looking over the recent Showcase Presents volume of the Sea Devils.  Lots of wonderful Russ Heath art in that one.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 05:41:17 AM »

oh man, russ heath is phenomenol theres an old  sgt rock story with some  guy in an iron mask,it is one of the best drawn comics ever! he was truly a technical master.ive heard he drew the  lone ranger strip awhile but ive never seen it.i always think of him and john severin as two unheralded masters.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 11:18:11 AM »

Heath's Sea Devils covers are some of my favorites
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 04:42:28 PM »

I currently have only four titles on my pick list, "The Shadow", "Rocketeer", "Zorro", and "Warriors of Mars". Picked up the last three and the first issue of "The Spider" today. "The Spider" was predictably not the pulp hero, but an updated version. Gory, not much in the way of characterization, dark and muddy art. May appeal to some, but I won't be buying any more . "Rocketeer" never has had a story line, but we usually get one or two well-drawn and well-written stories per issue  with the rest being cartoony crap. This issue has only one well-drawn but very uninteresting story, and double the cartoony crap. Definitely not worth the price. Haven't read the other two yet- the granddaughters are all out of school and I don't get a lot of  free time anymore. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 10:09:53 PM »

Has anyone else tried John Bryne's Trio yet? Good old fashioned comic book reading.
ip icon Logged

WileyJ

message icon
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 06:44:17 AM »

i just cant get into most new stuff,,,,,but i did recently get thor godstorm by busiek and rude, nice silver age homage......right now im reading showcase metamorpho and essential rawhide kid!!! 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »

The differences between early Marvel and DC come out when comparing Essentials and Showcase.
I can read more in an Essential than a Showcase. Love the early DC stuff but only a little at a time. The age target comes out too much when read in lumps. I was a big fan of SA Martian Manhunter and War that Time Forgot but trying to read through them in Showcase I could not enjoy in quantity. While not a big Aquaman fan, I was able to read more of his. I had not trouble reading Essential Avengers of FF.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »

Teen Titans Ravagers story arc finished up. I finished DC's Hunger Games rip. Not very impressive or original. I am still enjoying Resident Alien. It just has an appeal because that is hard to explain. I read the first issue of Extermination and was not thrilled. I will give it at least one more issue. I have not read my Atlas Unified because I am afraid to start as I am afraid they may not end it like Moonstone did with Phases of the Mood. I read Amber Atoms on Comixology. It has four issue that I enjoyed. They started another story arc with a digital only issue five that I hope they continue. I think this may be a new wave of publishing. If series gets enough attention from digital sales they can resurrect it as digital only. Makes good sense. I also read two issue of First Daughter and want to see it finished. So everyone go buy Amber Atoms and First Daughter so they will make more  ;)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 01:43:14 AM »

Takio continues to be a fun read.
Saucer Country and Legend of Oz Wicked West remain intriguing. I am not sure exactly where they are going but I am still along for the ride.
Resident Alien concluded a little anti-climactic but it was a worthwhile read and I look forward to the next story arc.
Victories and Extermination and Danger Club are darker superhero books that keep my interest.
Heroic Hero Within was another good old fashioned fun to read superhero comic.
Love and Capes new story arc is just as much fun as the others. This  is a heck of a comic.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 09:57:12 PM »

Picked up a couple of my regular pulls, "The Shadow" and "Warriors of Mars". "Shadow" story is reaching it's climax- so far it's been pretty good. The Carter/ Jones tale is finished in "Warriors" and a new one is starting. Also picked up the first issue of the new "Thunda"- pretty so-so, but I really just bought it so I could have a paper copy of Frazetta's original story in the backup feature. The new "Zorro" should also be in this week- another series finishing up the story line- wonder if there will be a third series? Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.