in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

We Still Need Your Help with some missing Phantom Lady Stories!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

topic icon Author Topic: We Still Need Your Help with some missing Phantom Lady Stories!  (Read 48232 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: We Still Need Your Help with some missing Phantom Lady Stories!
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2008, 12:41:29 AM »

And you can officially remove 22 from the needed list!  ;D

Yoc, you'll be happy to know the registration is much better on this one than the 19.  And saddened to know that 'better' isn't 'good'.  (It looks like only one plate, on not all the pages, this time.  :-\ )  Still, progress is progress.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2008, 01:04:45 AM »

That's great news Eric - and as always I'm happy to do my part with the edits whenever you are ready to send them.
:)

--------

Here is the updated list of Fox PL stories we still need to complete the Fox volume of the Phantom Lady Archives...

« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 01:11:25 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »

And an updated version of Phantom Lady 14 is now uploading to the FTP.  The original splash page has been restored and the heavily modified AC comics version has been removed; I've also added a better cover scan and revised the story order since at least two independent sources tell me that's how the original issue was.  Huge thanks to Yoc and JVJ on this one; and of course Marble River for the original scan.  If anybody knows how to get in touch with Marble River and finds out they have an issue with the changes please let us know.  I wouldn't call this an urgent to grab item if you already have the book; but every little improvement we can make is nice.
ip icon Logged

Marble River

message icon
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2008, 03:23:01 AM »

Hi OtherEric,

I have no problem with the updates. Thanks for finding the missing pieces.

Marble River
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2008, 06:22:14 AM »

Glad to hear it.  And thank you for all of your scans!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2008, 08:04:01 AM »

Holy Cats!
It's M.R. himself!!

A big big welcome to one of the greats gang.  You should have seen his signature on the splash pages of many a fine scan.

Welcome M.R. I hope you'll enjoy the scans here and join in on the conversations when you have some time.  :D

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2008, 05:05:46 PM »

Hello, Marble River,
Nice to meet you.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2008, 05:21:22 PM »

Truely the gods walk among us, I Believe a vote of thanks is due M.R. for one of the Police Comics scans we have here to say nothing of loads of other stuff shared over the years.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2008, 08:53:55 PM »

Another Marble Mystery solved!  ;-)  Thanks, Mr. River.
ip icon Logged

loftypilot

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: loftypilot
message icon
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »

Hey, glad you could make it M.R.  Sure nice to have "talked" to you again yesterday.  Please make yourself at home!  It's really a great bunch here at GAC. 
Might I suggest at some point for you to let everyone know about your upcoming project with Greg yourself, and don't be shy about your own participation in the project!

--Loftypilot Dan   
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2008, 04:10:18 AM »

Yoc,
I finished the PL19_10 page. You'll find it in the JVJ/PL folder. Hope it meets your needs.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2008, 02:59:03 PM »

Hey, thanks Jim, I certainly appreciate your help.
Oh, you uploaded the P.S. file - that's a nice idea - gives me a chance to explore your settings, etc.

I've been trying some of your suggestions on Blazing Comics #1.  It's not going to look as nice and clean as your example on the ftp or even 'normal' but it will be easier to read than the original which appears to have been used as a coffee coaster at a bus terminal for a week.  I don't have the time to invest to do a complete clean-up like yours with all the other jobs on the go.  PL19 is a big enough challenge as it is.  I didn't want to start doing another restore like that at the same time.
;) :D

Stay tuned for that,
-Yoc
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:07:17 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Blazing 1
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2008, 03:13:02 PM »

Water stained or not it is a great book. I think it got wet and the staple stained the area. This is the kind of book I am accustomed to. The reason I have as many GA books as I do is my lack of concern for condition. Given the choice of paying 5 for a fair book or 100 for a fine I have to choose the fair. Lots of coverless too.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2008, 03:44:10 PM »

Hi Jim,
Please don't mistake my comment on the condition of the book as any slight on you.  I admire your dedication to the cause while not spending a fortune on it at the same time.  Both you and Jim are to be commended for your thrifty approach to collecting these books.  I was only commenting on how much work would be needed to have it looking 100% new again.   :)
I should have the edit for it done at some point today.

Take care,
-Yoc
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 03:45:41 PM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2008, 08:17:32 PM »

No offense taken, Yoc,
I know what condition most of my books are in, so it's hard to find a reason to object when someone else notices, too. Best of luck on the Blazing.

On the PL19 page, I flattened the PS file before uploading it as it was pretty large (44 Mbytes), but since you expressed an interest, I'm currently in the process of uploading the layered file so you can see what I've done (if you want to make the effort). Just so you know, I made some "patterns" in PS to replicate some of the colors (flesh red), (light blue), (purple), etc. and used the patterns to fill in large areas that needed those colors. I didn't do an exceptionally fine job on all of them, but they did speed up the process. Sadly, what worked for this page of this comic probably wouldn't look even this good on another page of the same comic.

The whole massive PS file for page 10 is there now. Let me know what you think of my approach, Yoc.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 08:21:53 PM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

Marble River

message icon
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2008, 10:29:17 PM »

Hey, glad you could make it M.R.  Sure nice to have "talked" to you again yesterday.  Please make yourself at home!  It's really a great bunch here at GAC. 
Might I suggest at some point for you to let everyone know about your upcoming project with Greg yourself, and don't be shy about your own participation in the project!

--Loftypilot Dan   

Thanks LP, and thanks for sending me to GAC. It looks like a real nice project. Glad to see all of the PD stuff being made available. The project you mentioned is a book by Greg Sadowski (who did the Bernie Krigstein book for Fantagraphics) to which I contributed a bunch of new (but Not Fresh) scans. It's at the printer now and  should be out this February. The title is: Supermen: The First Wave of Comic Book Heroes, 1936-1941, published by Fantagraphics. Everyone should buy 5 or 6 copies :)  That's the last plug I'll make, and thanks to all who have enjoyed MR scans over the years. I started posting Golden Age scans in 1998, so it's been 10 years!

See you in the funny papers,
MR
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2008, 11:11:48 PM »

Thanks for the PSD file Jim, I'm getting it now.
===
Hi MR, I bought that Krigstein book last summer.  It was a fun read.  I like the sound of the latest book.  I'll keep an eye open for it.

Thanks for 10yrs of golden age goodies - I hope you'll find scans here to enjoy as well.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2008, 11:14:29 PM »

I've got several scans in that book, too, MR. Greg and Bud Plant and I spent a weekend choosing material and making scans. Lots of fun. I wanted to see more obscure samples in the finished project, but, alas, my tastes don't seem to resonate with many other people. Sigh...

Hope you can find something new in the PL psd file, Yoc.

ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2008, 07:20:25 PM »

Yoc,
I was showing Bud Plant the GAC site last night and also showed himthe one page of PL that I cleaned up. He says he has all but two issues of PL and would make them available for scans if it would help the project. He also says he has all of the All-Top PLs. Tell me which issues you need (or need better-printed examples of) and I'll ask him to bring them when he comes down next month.

Hey, miracles DO happen.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2008, 07:51:10 PM »

Yoc,
I was showing Bud Plant the GAC site last night and also showed himthe one page of PL that I cleaned up. He says he has all but two issues of PL and would make them available for scans if it would help the project. He also says he has all of the All-Top PLs. Tell me which issues you need (or need better-printed examples of) and I'll ask him to bring them when he comes down next month.

Hey, miracles DO happen.

May Bud Plant find blessings by the hoary hosts of Hoggath!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2008, 11:23:19 PM »

Yoc,

Hey, miracles DO happen.

Any chance he has the missing Yellowjackets we need? #1 and TNT. Would be an even greater day for the GCD.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2008, 11:32:54 PM »

Yoc,

Hey, miracles DO happen.

A "Carlson" book not on your list is Sharp Comics another oddity I would love to have scanned. We need Green Giant, Colossus and Wham any chance he might have those super rare gems. Probably would not want to risk them to scanning as even in poor shape they would be worth a fortune.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2008, 12:06:10 AM »

Wow, Jim, PLEASE thank Bud for his Very Generous offering!  I'll contact you in a PM with more.

Narf, please let's not chase Bud off with even more requests. 
You are talking about very, VERY expensive books now.  Green Giant (VF copy sold for $8,500 on Heritage) and Colossus (FN sold for $1,700 on H.) are among the more rare comics going!

For now lets see if we can finish the missing Phantom Lady books before we going asking Bud for anything else, Ok?

Thanks,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2008, 03:15:52 AM »

I don't think we'll find any really weird, obscure title with Bud, but you never know. He's more interested in Fiction House, Timely, Quality, etc. Whenever he visits, he takes home four boxes from my collection and goes through each comic to see if he really wants it. Maybe when/if he gets moving with GAC, he won't need me so much. But, then he's also been VERY generous to loan me each title of Fiction House so that I can do the GCD project with Hames and Henry, so I'll still need him. We go back a LONG way (like to 1967 or so). Good guy and very helpful with many of my research projects.

BUT, his collection is much more mainstream than mine - which makes them very complementary.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2008, 05:11:01 AM »

Sounds like another nice guy Jim.  The hobby has more of those than average.
I've sent Phabox your offer.  He should be sending you an email on it and some of the info he's collected on Victor Fox as well.  He'll be using your jim@jvjpubs.com address.

Thanks again Jim and Bob!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.