in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

We Still Need Your Help with some missing Phantom Lady Stories!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

topic icon Author Topic: We Still Need Your Help with some missing Phantom Lady Stories!  (Read 48233 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: We Still Need Your Help with some missing Phantom Lady Stories!
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2008, 05:14:27 AM »

I really did not expect Bud to have them, but thought if he might have a coverless or such it could get scanned. I think those prices for such rare books is really low. Then again it is supply and demand. There are not many of them but not as many hunting them. We recognize the joy of the obscure but everyone does not. I have fiche copies if someone wants to scan them since Rolster dissappeared. I tried several different scanners with no luck.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2008, 05:31:39 AM »

I really did not expect Bud to have them, but thought if he might have a coverless or such it could get scanned. I think those prices for such rare books is really low. Then again it is supply and demand. There are not many of them but not as many hunting them. We recognize the joy of the obscure but everyone does not. I have fiche copies if someone wants to scan them since Rolster dissappeared. I tried several different scanners with no luck.

Don't know if he does or doesn't, but I can ask him until after Christmas. He was on his way South to visit his girlfriend's family for Christmas. I'll check back with him later.

As for fiche, why not send one sample fiche issue back with my books and I'll see what I can accomplish. Always enjoy a challenge.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 05:33:27 AM »

Sounds like another nice guy Jim.  The hobby has more of those than average.
I've sent Phabox your offer.  He should be sending you an email on it and some of the info he's collected on Victor Fox as well.  He'll be using your jim@jvjpubs.com address.

Thanks again Jim and Bob!
-Yoc

Bud is, indeed, one of the Best. I'll look forward to hearing for Phabox. As I told narf, there's no big rush as Bud won't be back home for a week or so. That email is okay.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 05:48:55 AM »

Sure, no hurry Jim.  It's just immensely exciting to have a chance at perhaps pulling together even more for our project!

Hey Narf,
GAC member Ontology is another of the really good Fiche Scanners and even our Loftypilot has been known to knock them out at a high altitude of legibility.  In fact I've got several of his raw fiche scan waiting on me to edit and share... one day!  See what Ont says but if you PM Lofty let me know as he tends to not check here often but I do know how to get his attention to come look.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2008, 02:36:36 AM »

I just sent Nigel some comments on his Victor Fox overview, Yoc.
I'm always a bit nervous when I go into the historical aspects of comics with someone because I don't always come across gently. A fact is a fact and I tend to just state them and move on. It's all meant to be for the best, but I fear I've offended a few people with my brusqueness over the years. Hope Nigel is not one of them.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2008, 03:50:37 AM »

I just sent Nigel some comments on his Victor Fox overview, Yoc.
I'm always a bit nervous when I go into the historical aspects of comics with someone because I don't always come across gently. A fact is a fact and I tend to just state them and move on. It's all meant to be for the best, but I fear I've offended a few people with my brusqueness over the years. Hope Nigel is not one of them.

Kindred souls Jim. I have that same problem in a big way. I am a pragmatist who believes that facts are facts and what is is. I am short and bald why should I get upset if someone mentions that I am short and bald. Your age is your age your size is your size, etc. I know that is not the area you are talking about but the same thing applies to facts in general. I often say that it is nearly impossible to offend me. Never worry about hurting my feelings in what you say. The truth will set you free.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2008, 04:16:43 AM »

Hi Jim,
I wouldn't worry about Phabox.  He's a big boy and I know we all want the same thing.
It's a darn shame finding concrete facts on Fox is such a bugger.  From all I've read on the man he sounds like the kind of guy I wouldn't trust to tell me the actual time but I'd love to read more about the life he lived, the times he lived in, and the people he worked with.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2008, 04:56:29 AM »

I'll send you to the same site I recommended to Nigel, Yoc.
http://www.comicartville.com/victorfox.htm

Jon Berk has learned a WHOLE lot about him. Check it out.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2008, 05:48:40 AM »

Hi Jim,
Yep, been to there - it's a GREAT site too btw!
It's a shame it's so long between updates.
I really loved the Archer St. John, Doug Wildey and rare Eisner features.

Adding it to the Reference Links thread.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2008, 09:41:53 AM »

Hi Jim, Yoc, and everyone else, just looked over Jim's feedback and I am battered but unbroken !

If anything seems to be that I got more right then wrong although my wording may not have made that as clear as it should have done.

Sadly I am not fuctioning at 100% capacity in the grey matter department as I suffered some mild brain damage at birth and to make things even worse a couple of decades back I went through a car windscreen/shield head first which put me out of action for about three months and sent a few more of my remaining brain cells into oblivion  :(.

On a bad day I still have trouble remembering my own name !

So forgive me if I don't always get my fact straight but I enjoy a challenge and believe working on these projects is good therapy for me which is my main reason for doing these things.

If I can provide some entertainment and enlightenment at the same time then thats a bonus.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #60 on: December 23, 2008, 02:51:43 PM »

Well Nigel based on several posts I would say that even with fewer brain cells you are operating "smarter than the average bear."
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »

Yoc, phabox,
I was hoping to pick up the Phantom Lady's for you, but Bud was out of town for the weekend and didn't get my message in time to bring them with him. He has promised to get whatever he has of your wants to me so that I can scan (of take digital photographs of) them for you. He's concerned about conditions and I hope to get the best pics I can, but I have to respect his wishes and be extremely careful. I'll do the best I can, but it may turn out not to feasible without damaging the books, and that I won't do.

Keep your fingers crossed.

ps. Yoc, I've forgotten where you keep this info, but Bud gave me three comics for a "Christmas Present", so please add these to the list of what I have:
Four Color #72 - Raggedy Ann
Wonderworld #11 (coverless and cfm)
Real Life Comics #5.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2009, 04:55:33 AM »

Thanks for the update Jim.
I've updated your offering list.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #63 on: February 28, 2009, 04:26:49 AM »

Hi, Yoc,
I just returned from my one day at WonderCon and finally tied up with Bud. I have in my possession PLs #s 14, 15, 18, 19, 20, 21

I'll double-check what needs to be scanned and TRY to get to them this weekend. No promises.

I'll also have an update for the JVJ collection page soon. Lots of cool, coverless GA comics. I haven't even looked at them yet. Must run. Goodies await...

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2009, 06:20:20 AM »

Wow!  That's fantastic Jim!!
Please contact me with a Private Message and we can figure this out between us Ok?
Just hit the little word balloon under my Monkey avatar to send one.
#20 and 21 will be of most help.  The page with the missing list is at the start of this topic.
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,855.0.html

Thanks again for helping!
-Yoc the excited
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2009, 06:31:59 AM »

14: Need better IFC (We have IW reprint)
15: Need IFC (We have IW reprint)
18: We need the whole book, Yoc.  Not sure why you say we don't.
19: Need scans if the art is on-register, we have my flawed copy otherwise
20: Need the whole book
21: Need the whole book, all we have is fiche.

We already have 13, 16, and a reprint of 23 on the site.  And Yoc has my scans of 22 in the editing stage.  Plus a full run of the All-Tops.  So all we'll be missing is 17 and the first page of the first story in 23; not bad at all for such a high demand run.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2009, 06:53:09 AM »

Hi Eric,
Well, we do have a colour reprint of 'Ghost Galleons' and a b&w one of 'Fat Connoisseur' from PL18.
New scans of 'Fat' would be great but I don't want to ask for a TON of work from Jim either.
Whatever he's willing and able to do I'll be happy with!
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2009, 08:33:22 PM »

Just got a request from someone named Denys Howard regarding credits for Phantom Lady #22. Here is my response:
Hi, Denys,
I have acquired a scan of the PL #22. Here are my thoughts:
Cover -I don't see any Baker. Much more likely to be Kamen & Iger Shop than Baker.
1st PL story: probably Kamen and Iger Shop.
2nd PL story: looks like Baker and it's SUPPOSED to, BUT it's all swipes. One of the major "tells" is the fact that most of the heads are too small for the bodies and the overall caliber of the artwork (once you can draw your eyes away from the swipes) is mediocre - at best. Notice also how the "Baker" fades in and out and is practically non-existent by the time you get to the last page.
The Crime of Roger Caseman - most likely John Forte pencils, Iger Shop inks.
Joe Noon - Killer: Vern Henkel (signed)

Hope that helps.

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 03:41:35 AM »

Thanks for the credits Jim!
:)
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2009, 05:47:52 PM »

Just a reminder -
We still are looking for Phantom Lady #17 - The Soda Mint Killer story.  If anyone has a copy to scan we would very much appreciate the help.

:)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #70 on: September 18, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »

I think I already shared with you my very low grade photo off eBay of the first two pages.  But the only real use of that that I can imagine is that if we find a coverless copy we'll have at least something to fill in as the IFC/ first page.

Also, if by some miracle somebody does have a copy of the issue I think we could really use the full book; all we have is a reprint of the 2nd story.

While we're wishing, I don't think we have the IFC/ first page for issue 23 yet, either.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2009, 06:07:33 PM »

All very true Eric.
The first priority is to get ANY copy of each story, reprint, fiche even a photocopy would do in a pinch.
After that getting good clean scans like you and Jim have provided would be a real dream come true!
We'd just like to have PL's entire Fox career available in one collection for posterity.

I can't thank you, MB, Jim and Bud Plant enough for all the help you've provided.  Work continues on the clean-up of PL19 and Nigel is pretty much done his editorial content.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
An update for the Phantom Lady Archives v1 now on GAC
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2009, 07:36:41 AM »

Hi Gang,
Putting together our ongoing series of 'Phantom Lady Archives' has never been the easiest of tasks.
We ALWAYS seem to have trouble rounding up one elusive story or another. Right now its "The Soda Mint Killer" from Phantom Lady _017 (April 1948) which is holding up completion of Vol. 2 - The Fox Years but last year when we were ready to roll out our first production covering the Quality 'War Years' we had a slightly different problem.

Although we suspected that we may have been short one story we were unsure as comics historians did not seem to agree if our lady actually did appear in Feature Comics 069 and nobody we knew at that time even had a copy of the comic to do a check.

So rather then wait on a story which may not have even existed we decided to bite the bullet and go ahead with presenting it to our waiting web audience who I have to say gave our collection a very warm reception. Thanks Gang!

Since that time a very generous comics collector/historian and publisher Jim Vadeboncoeur, Jr showed up over at the Golden Age Comics site and he just happened to have an issue of this particular comic and even more to the point it DID 'Feature' an appearance of The Phantom Lady!  So from July 1943 as scanned by Ontology together with PAPER SCANS of Phantom Lady from Police Comics #7 supplied by freddyfly here are the updated archive pages we proudly present ' The LOST Phantom Lady Story'- Now if only we could 'find' the Soda Mint Killer !

Golden Age Comic link:
http://tinyurl.com/yagycxc

Enjoy!
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2009, 09:26:28 AM »

Yoc, did we ever find the splash page for the first story in issue #23?  I've tried twice to offer people with unslabbed copies on eBay a small fee for a copy, but they haven't followed up.  Should I keep looking?

Right now, I think the best hope for a copy of the PL 17 is one of the remaindered Fox Giants; I've asked a couple dealers on that.  We do have a VERY poor copy of the IFC of 17 I got off eBay; the only real value on that is it will fill the hole if we can find a coverless 17.

Looking forward to the Fox archive.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #74 on: November 05, 2009, 10:14:09 PM »

Hi Eric,
Nothing new has been found other than what's in this Quality update.
If we needed it before we still do now so yes, please keep an eye open for those missing items.
Finding someone with a PL17 willing to risk scanning it will take a miracle given it's value and notoriety.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.