in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 243 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

downloading problems

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: downloading problems  (Read 3620 times)

unknownbro0

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: unknownbro0
message icon
downloading problems
« on: October 18, 2008, 09:48:56 PM »

can you provide more information about the comics. It's really enraging. And informations like page number date year published what it's about, front cover image. The last year update is 2006!!! at the bottom of the page. The about on the page is expired for so many years. The names of the files are some bland like 1.cbr can you name it any better. The forum is ok but the download page need major enchancements
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Re: downloading problems
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:23:26 PM »

Well hey unknownbroO.
Welcome to GAC. Glad yer here.
Sometimes WYSIWYG is how it is and we all make due with what is available.
If you are having problems downloading the scans this link   http://tinyurl.com/yvjorh  contains data which may help you along.

This site like any other is always subject to change. Hope you enjoy your stay.

Cheers

can you provide more information about the comics. It's really enraging. And informations like page number date year published what it's about, front cover image. The last year update is 2006!!! at the bottom of the page. The about on the page is expired for so many years. The names of the files are some bland like 1.cbr can you name it any better. The forum is ok but the download page need major enchancements
« Last Edit: October 18, 2008, 11:25:34 PM by rez »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2008, 11:41:23 PM »

To provide that amount of information for every comic on the site would require a MASSIVE amount of time and effort.  More than the tiny (and unpaid) staff have to offer.

For more info on the books you could easily look it up yourself on the Grand Comicbook Database here:  http://www.comics.org/index.lasso
That's the kind of info they specialize in.

As for the file names of some books - yes they can be bad.  We had a meltdown a year ago and the files were renamed.  Sadly I personally can't fix those names short of removing the books and asking someone to reupload them.  Completely broken links should be brought to our attention.  For now this is as good as it's going to get.

I hope you enjoy the scans,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 12:39:07 PM »

Unfortunately most of us cannot access the files on the server in order to rename them and even for the one person who can it is not that easy to identify which ones need renaming. Simply copy the name of the comic before choosing to download it, and if you notice it is incorrectly named change the name when you choose where to download the file to.
ip icon Logged

gustavea

message icon
Download; request for help
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 03:45:15 AM »

How can I download comic books from your page? For example, when I click on the link America's Greatest Comics 002 (Fiche) on the page http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=262, the same page appears again; there is no possibility of right-clicking and saving, as the link seems to be a Java thing.  There is no DOWNLOAD button. On the page it says "To start downloading free comic books now you will need to register". I registered, but I still cannot find anywhere a DOWNLOAD button or any instructions.  If anybody can help, I will be very grateful.
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 03:51:00 AM »

Make sure to click the link marked "download" in the lower right corner of the main information box.  I just tested and it worked fine.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Download; request for help
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 04:58:48 AM »

How can I download comic books from your page? For example, when I click on the link America's Greatest Comics 002 (Fiche) on the page http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/index.php?dlid=262, the same page appears again; there is no possibility of right-clicking and saving, as the link seems to be a Java thing.  There is no DOWNLOAD button. On the page it says "To start downloading free comic books now you will need to register". I registered, but I still cannot find anywhere a DOWNLOAD button or any instructions.  If anybody can help, I will be very grateful.

Make sure that at the very top of the page it says "Logged in as (your registered ID)" If not, it won't work. Then, as OtherEric notes, there is a [download] link in the lower right-hand corner of the America's Greatest Comics 002 (Fiche) window. IF you're logged in, clicking the link should open a download window on your computer and the download should begin. Good luck.

You also might just try closing your browser and relogging on to the site if you need to. Sometimes that works, too.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.