in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,888 books
 New: 90 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 203 - Buck Ryan 39

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 203 - Buck Ryan 39  (Read 1054 times)

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
Week 203 - Buck Ryan 39
« on: July 11, 2019, 05:41:30 PM »

This week, we delve into the world of newspaper stories, with Buck Ryan 39 - Twilight's Out, located here https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=73484

Enjoy

ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 203 - Buck Ryan 39
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:42:43 AM »

Nice.

Somebody once commented on a possible Dick Tracy influence and it did seem like there might be one. The Tracy storyline that introduced Sam Catchem had a female ex-con trying to go straight and toward the end she did end up in an eccentric's private zoo, but other than that it was very much its own thing. It certainly felt like a plotted out storyline rather than Gould's make it up as you go along approach.

Having never read a Buck Ryan story before I wasn't sure what to make of Twilight. Was she an evil villain that the writer decided to try and redeem, or was she a misunderstood person who got in over her head and I should have sympathy for? Kind of an odd feeling given that she was essentially the main character of this story and Buck was practically a guest star in his own comic.

Still it was nice read with good art.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 05:33:41 AM »

I've read this one before. To my mind, the best way to explain Twilight is to compare Buck Ryan and Twilight to Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle. Twilight is a professional thief, but she has Moral scruples. Freeman and Monk used this plot more than once. Twilight, who is often broke and not in control of her circumstance, gets involved with even shadier characters and is made a scapegoat for murder. It then becomes Buck Ryan's job to curb his scepticism and prove her innocent.
I was going to behave myself as I was the one who pointed out the Chester Gould similarities. But I can't help myself.
Gould did extended sequences focusing on other characters [like Diet Smith, BO Plenty and Gravel Gertie, Junior, His mother and Tess, to name a few] before he brought Tracy in to wrap things up. Just as Monk and Freeman do with Twilight here. That's 
Ma-the-cache is reminiscent of Gravel Gertie. Spelling gags! Cute little Dogs used as plot devices. [Heyyou was Sparkle Plenty's dog] Very eccentric rich characters living on their own. Unusual Toys. Weird and Sinister Furniture. [Curiously, The zinc-lined Sofa Bathtub is introduced but never used] 
But don't get the impression I'm criticizing. This is great stuff. I love the quality of the art, the inventiveness, the creators obvious affection for the characters.
Also, if you ever want to learn marketing, Twilight's techniques will offer you a crash course!       
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:39:50 AM »

But don't get the impression I'm criticizing.   

Me neither. Rereading my post it kinda sounds like I'm accusing the writer of plagiarism, which I wasn't. Everybody is a fan of someone else and occasionally these unconscious similarities tend to pop up.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 12:17:32 AM »

Anyone who follows the comments knows I've become a big Buck Ryan fan. The strip is one of my favorite CB+ discoveries.

This episode is a long, complex story with much to enjoy. Twilight is a great character, but I find it hard to forgive her criminal past. Maybe she didn't kill the man she was accused of murdering. But Twilight was ruthless and amoral and set up at least one man to be murdered. I can understand Buck's fascination with her--the moth and the flame. I also know someday Buck will dump his longtime partner Zola to take up with Twilight. When he does, I hope Zola finds a millionaire who loves her madly. She deserves it after everything  Buck put her through.

This story certainly invites comparisons of Buck Ryan to Dick Tracy. The Stack-Cato boys are just the sort of bizarre-for-bizarre's-sake characters Chester Gould favored. I never thought of Ma-the-Cache as Gravel Gertie, though. An interesting point. I didn't care for Gertie, however, while I enjoy Ma immensely.

One troubling loose end almost spoils the story. Using his rigged bed, Joseph sets out to murder Twilight. His wife finds him about to murder Twilight. Joseph admits he's about to murder Twilight. Yet Mrs Stack Cato brushes it off ("This isn't you talking!") and never mentions the incident again. To be frank Mrs S-C is a poorly-developed character and the story would have worked better without her. Unfortunately this means Twilight would have died and wrecked the whole series.

Jack Monk's artwork is great throughout. My only complaint is that Buck and Inspector Page often look alike. The cheesecake scenes made me think of the loosening standards in British strips. In 1970 Twilight would have dropped the sheet for us when she sat up in the department store bed.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 06:01:24 AM »

I like that trick cigarette lighter on page 25.
Automobile advertising gimmicks were in their prime back then.
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2019, 12:47:42 AM »

I had never heard of the two-fisted, private investigator, Buck Ryan, until Wiseman and paw broon shone a spotlight on the strip.  It is a British gem of a series, with great opponents - 'Twilight', the lady crime boss - colorful, villainous characters, kidnappers and German spies. It is Dick Tracy with a regional twist for the British market - an underrated, excellent comic strip with great script and art.  A good read.  Thanks movielover.       
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 06:32:01 PM »

I'd like to see the Buck Ryan stories adapted to TV as a retro crime adventure series. Everything period, as has always been the strong suit of British TV series.

Reading a crime/spy novel set in London during the killer fog of 1952. Expecting Buck Ryan to show up any moment.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.