in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,842 books
 New: 95 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The "Big 8"

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The "Big 8"  (Read 2859 times)

OtherEric

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
The "Big 8"
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:35:21 AM »

So, for a long time, one of my goals has been to get at least one issue of each of the DC "Big 8" books: Action, Adventure, All-American, Detective, Flash, More Fun, Sensation, and Star Spangled.  In the case of the 3 books that survived into the Code era, I specifically wanted "Big Logo" issues.

My local used bookstore (not a comic store for the most part) has had a small handful of GA books in their case for close to a year; since Action was the last title I needed to complete the Big 8 I was tempted by the GD Action #50 they've had in their case for $150.  When I walked in tonight, some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, I discovered a) they still had the book, b) they had dropped the price in half because it hadn't sold in a year, and c) there was a 20% off sale this week on top of that.  I don't know about you, but for me $60 for an Action #50 when I have the cash in pocket is not something I can resist. 

Anyway, it's nice to finally have filled in that particular goal.  A nice little Christmas present, even if the person giving me the money didn't know what it would wind up as.  ;D

In case anybody cares, my showcase issues of the "big 8" would be:  Action 50, Adventure 85, All-American 37, Detective 106, Flash 62, More Fun 108, Sensation 50, and Star-Spangled 117.  A nice little cross section of early DC!
ip icon Logged

phabox

message icon
Re: The "Big 8"
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:28:55 AM »

Nice Going !

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 12:35:36 AM »

I'm happy for you, Eric,
Yet I'm also shaking my head as $60 is half again as much as I've EVER paid for a comic book. Yikes!

Happy New Year to you (and to everyone on the site). Have a Great Meal !

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 02:05:04 AM »

Excellent.  Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 02:12:44 AM »

Well done Eric.  Congrats!
And Jim, a collection like yours and non cost over $30?!?  Amazing!
You a man of my heart.

-Yoc the impressed
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 03:16:08 AM »

Well done Eric.  Congrats!
And Jim, a collection like yours and non cost over $30?!?  Amazing!
You a man of my heart.

-Yoc the impressed

FORTY dollars, Yoc. "half again" not "twice as much". But it just proves it CAN be done. Take a look at some of the books I've added since first posting the list of my collection. Of course, condition suffers, but at least I get to see the books...

Peace, Jim (|;{>
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 04:13:30 AM »

Ok, math isn't my strong suit.  But I'm still very impressed.
:)
ip icon Logged

OtherEric

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 06:24:47 AM »

I think everybody has a personal cut-off point; mine is about $75.  And I need to really want the book badly to go over $50.  I doubt I would have ever given in at the $150 price even if I was tempted; it was way too high for a 'general' issue.

I have actually been willing to spend more on single issues since I started scanning.  I'm willing to pay more to get EVERYBODY a book than I will just for myself.  Phantom Lady is the textbook example of that; while I enjoy the material I never would have spent the $100+ on the issues I have if it wasn't to get the material out there for everybody.  I can think of only two books I've paid over $75 for that I haven't scanned:  Sugar & Spike #1 and Adventure #247.  Both of which I think qualify as special cases.
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 06:47:38 PM »

I agree OtherEric, I've acquired more recently primarily so I can share them.  Some have been group purchase and resale efforts.  These include ... hmmm ... well I guess I shouldn't mention any of those Delightful Comics here.  But I've also picked up comics I never would have such as scatterings of Dells which filled runs.

I just wish my eyes weren't giving me problems so I could scan and edit the JVJs I've got faster.  Sorry this batch of Black Diamonds has been so slow.
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 09:05:54 PM »

My physical collection, when I had them, was pretty piss-poor (pardon my French). I was in my teens when I was actively collecting so didn't have much money. I wanted the books to read, not sell so if they were good enough for that it's all I cared about. I think the most I ever spent on a GA book was around $50 for Major Victory. I also had a pretty decent copy of Captain 3-D but I don't think I spent too much on that. I really envy you guys and your collections. I LOVE my digital collection and am very appreciative of you all for your hard work and time put into this site. Nothing beats having the actual copy though.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2010, 03:41:56 AM »

JVJ's massive collection was all bought for very reasonable prices A.  Nothing much more than your top price.
Of course he's been collecting a lot longer than you so perhaps that might have a part to play.  ;)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.