in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 42,881 books
 New: 94 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Gerry Anderson

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Gerry Anderson  (Read 234 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Gerry Anderson
« on: May 22, 2024, 04:16:37 AM »

Many here are lovers of Gerry Anderson's series'. So I thought it time to create a thread.
Especially since I found this YouTube channel.
The Secret Service (Full Episodes)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLLhOnau-tupRxNoZCc1rJCDqIfaNcyVnC 

Enjoy!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Gerry Anderson
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2024, 08:21:40 PM »

SO cool.  There's an entire section at the "Caprona" board, and I've been posting there for some time.  That said, I hope nobody minds if I copy-and-paste my earlier thoughts.  It'll save me a lot of repeating myself (and time)...

FIREBALL XL5 was my introduction to science-fiction.  REALLY.  The show ran here in America Saturday mornings at 10:30 AM (apparently the "prime time" slot of those mornings) for 2 years from 1963-65.  I watched it every week. Steve Zodiac was my hero-- a combo astronaut-explorer-policeman.  And I fell in love with Venus.  YEAH, a string puppet.  A year into the show's run here, I started kindergarden, and I met a girl who was a dead ringer for her.  NO kidding.  I got a "Golden Book" adventure, the board game, and, in August '65 (only a month before it vanished off the air), the deluxe "Space City" playset.  It was devastating when the show disappeared. As far as I know, in my area, it was NEVER seen again.

Somewhere during that time, I caught syndicated reruns of SUPERCAR, but it always seemed too juvenile and trivial by comparison (and that was me as a KID thinking that!).

September '66 we got STINGRAY.  Philly's UFH station 48 (always the tackiest of the 3, between them, 17 & 29), ran it on Wednsedays at 6 PM.  Yeah, just Wednesdays.  Mondays & Fridays they ran GIGANTOR, Tuedays & Thursdays they ran KIMBA THE WHITE LION.  I think more UHF stations should have done that sort of thing, with short-run shows.  However, I recall missing STINGRAY quite a few times during that initial run.  STINGRAY was like a lesser, underwater version of XL5.  Sort of the reverse of STAR TREK, which was a space version of VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA (if you see what I mean).  The actor who did the voice of "Phones" had actually been "Sparks" in the 1961 VOYAGE movie!  My late friend Robin insisted there was no romance between Steve & Dr. Venus, but I always thought there was. Here, Troy Tempest was a bit of a cad-- stringing along TWO girls at the same time!  Later, 48 ran STINGRAY 5 times a week, but, there really wasn't enough episodes to do that without it getting repetitive real fast.  Maddeningly, this was a problem with MOST Gerry Anderson shows!

THUNDERBIRDS first turned up Saturday afternoons at 6 PM, right after ABC's WIDE WORLD OF SPORTS.  Probably the only reason I got to see it right from the 1st episode ("Trapped in the Sky").  Loved it, though at an hour long, it took more effort on my part to stick with the stories.  Later, it turned up Saturday mornings at 11:30 AM, and later still, with each story broken into the 2-PART format, Monday-Fridays at 7 AM!  I really feel that DIDN'T WORK, watching them like that.  Had to get up early before school to see it then.  (And then it just disappeared forever after that.)

CAPTAIN SCARLET was on Philly's channel 17 at 5 PM.  Annoyingly, they started out of sequence, and the 3 connected episodes at the start were run on the 3rd week (following 10 other episodes).  Also, like every other show 17 ran at that slot, they'd CUT 5 minutes from the middle of each episode, where the commercial break was.  (Apparently, they let the film keep running during the commercials-- THOSE STUPID BASTARDS.)  The Sci-Fi Channel, in the 90s, were notorious for cutting shows to ribbons, yet, their run of CS was LESS butchered.  In the pilot, for example, on 17, we saw smoke coming from the President's desk.  Following the break, CS is zooming along the highway, with the President his prisoner!  I didn't get to see what happened in between until the 90s.  And every episode was like that.

UFO turned up here (that I know of) in the early 70s, but I got to see most of it when Channel 29 ran it Sunday afternoons at 2 PM (followed by reruns of LAND OF THE GIANTS at 3 PM and THE TIME TUNNEL at 4 PM).  It always struck me as a less-advance, more "adult", more serious and DEPRESSING version of CS.  In the 90s, it became the 1st Anderson show I managed to tape EVERY single episode of, off the Sci-Fi Channel.  Little did I know, every episode had 6 MINUTES cut from it on that channel.

SPACE: 1999 was on Channel 17, Saturdays at 7 PM.  I found out decades later they ran the show completely out of sequence. Not sure that matters, though.  Whike some shows I'd laugh with, 1999 I'd laugh AT.  My GOD, it was so STUPID and contrived and EXCESSIVELY-intense. Each week I swore Martin Landau got closer to a nervous breakdown.  The best acting was from Barry Morse.  It blows my mind that at the time, I had NO IDEA he was born in London-- not the US!  17 took the show off after 13 weeks.  But the following September, they ran ALL of season 2.  GO FIGURE.  I taped about half of them off Sci-Fi in the 90s, but I swear, I never enjoyed a single one of them.  When you have GREAT writers, designers, music, actors, directors, everything, and a show still SUCKS beyond all belief-- there's a problem.  I've since seen several documentaries explaining the history of how the show came to be, and it's one gigantic CLUSTER-****.  In my view, it never should have been made in the first place.

TERRAHAWKS was run here Saturday mornings at 7:30 AM.  I hated having to get up that early on my days off!!!  But I did... this became my FAVORITE Anderson show since XL5.  My late friend Robin & I discussed Anderson shows at such length.  We agreed that from THUNDERBIRDS to 1999, the writing kept getting WORSE AND WORSE.  TERRAHAWKS had GREAT writing, and likable characters.  I put two and two together when I found out Gerry & Sylvia's marriage had been on the rocks since the mid-60s, and they had a nasty divorce.  I saw that as a wake-up call, that he realized people had to mean more than machines.  Turns out, "Mary Falconer" was named after Gerry's 2nd wife, Mary.

SPACE PRECINCT -- oh my God!  This became my FAVORITE Anderson show, EVER. Great idea, great use of old-fashioned miniatures, WONDERFUL characters (including the goofy-looking aliens, al lof whom were more "human" than the humans on any of the late-model STAR TREK spin-offs), and great writing & directing (several episodes helmed by John Glen, who did 5 BOND films in a row).  17 ran this Saturday nights at 11:30 PM.  Boy, way to kill a show, hmm?  They took it off after 13 weeks-- just as they had 1999 years earlier.  Luckily, a NYC station was running it Saturday nights at 12:30 AM. But then they moved it to Sunday nights at 12:30 AM.  And then they moved it to Sunday nights at 1:30 AM.  SOMEHOW, just barely, I managed to tape the entire season.  I'd heard there was a 2nd season, but it never turned up.  YEARS later, I found out they had done a short 2nd season-- just like THUNDERBIRDS-- which was only about 5 or 6 episodes.  Still haven't seen those yet.

I deeply regret never having written Anderson a fan letter when he was around.
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 07:44:54 AM »

I grew up on Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, UFO etc.  Many a happy hour playing with torches and saying "This is the voice of the Mysterons".

A couple of years ago I started a bit of a binge on his other stuff. I ought take it up again. Fireball XL5 was my favourite new discovery. Love the beginning and ending. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ifS2nP53Zs

Two other gems are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aco_vI0fvu4

And a great cover
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syqNH72jdyw

I think I'd like back to back versions to be my "funeral song".

Secret Service was I am afraid a "nah". But it is the only one!
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2024, 11:24:56 PM »

I just watched Journey to the Far Side of the Sun this morning, coincidently.  Enjoyable little bit of Anderson for a Friday. 

I’ve acquired all of his 60’s “puppet” shows, and I’ve been slowly working my way through them.  At present, I think I’m most enamored by Captain Scarlet, but that could change.  When I was a kid, I watched Supercar, Fireball XL5, and Stingray, but by the time Thunderbirds appeared, I had moved on from TV in general, as I became laser focused on music.  I’m glad the subsequent shows are still around to watch now, while I try to imagine the social context of their original broadcast dates.  So much changed so quickly in that decade; we all watched to world transform, for better and worse, in those 10 years. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 02:50:18 PM »

I sometimes wonder of I'm a member of the awkward squad.  While I watched and enjoyed some of the Gerry Anderson output, particularly Supercar and bits of Fireball XL5, I started being aware of these puppet shows with the 3rd Anderson series, Four Feather Falls, back in 1960.
But for me, they pale a bit in comparison to Space Patrol.  Not the American live action show.  In N. America it was called Planet Patrol.  Space Patrol was a Roberta Leigh production.  Leigh had worked with Gerry Anderson on his 1st 2 series, Twizzle and Torchy The Battery Boy.
Although the "stars" of the Show are Captain Dart and his crew, the real "hero" is their ship, Galasphere 347
Episodes available on youtube:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ3-AQJIDJU&list=PLESDrGLwFOLU_Clfibfp9W7PLLpOzMFfQ
Most episodes take place within the solar system although, through various plot devices, sometimes the stories take us to other systems.  Unlike Fireball XL5, the Galasphere has a limiting speed and suspended animation is used to get the crew to the more distant planets.
Have a look.  You might like it.  I do and have for decades.  Meson power on!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 05:36:14 PM »

About 5 or 6 years ago, I started to look up Gerry Anderson's early work on Youtube.  I managed to see a few episodes of some of his earliest projects, as well as a competing puppet show, SPACE PATROL.  Cool stuff.

I saw FOUR FEATHER FALLS, 15-minute a comedy-western series.  This was delightful fun.  I remember thinking TERRAHAWKS had paid tribute to multiple earlier shows, and discovered having a song in each episode came from FFF. At some point, I found out that "Rocky", the talking horse, was voiced by Kenneth Connor, one of my favorite members of the CARRY ON crew.  I eventually put together a "Rocky" icon for some of the message boards I was a member at.

Then I saw SUPERCAR.  I bet most of them I'd never seen before.  The show's fun, but I wasn't too crazy about it.  But I do plan at some point to go back and get it and FFF on DVD.

Then I saw FIREBALL XL5.  This was almost traumatic, in a good way, as I had not seen it since the end of August of 1965.  The website that had the episodes posted was set up in such a way that you could only watch 3 or 4 of them for free.  So once I passed the limit... I ordered the DVD set.  OHHH yeah.  I've been buying DVDs, and later, Blu-Rays, ever since, on a regular basis.  I often hear "the memory cheats", that a show you remember from being a little kid is never as good as you thought it was.  NOT in this case!  I loved this show all over again.

STINGRAY was also fun, though as when I was a kid, to me, it was always a bit of a step down.  But I had to agree with my now-late friend in Wales, who felt it was "more fun" than VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA.  Crazy enough, the guy who voiced "Phones" had played "Sparks", the radio man, in the 1961 VOYAGE movie!  I never made that connection before.

THUNDERBIRDS -- When I got to this, since it was all one-hour shows, I decided to stop watching nightly and switch to ONE episode PER WEEK.  So it took me more than half a year to slowly plow through it.  I'm convinced I enjoyed each episode more that way.  Also, my friend Robin had steered me to an Anderson fan site, where someone had figured out a running order that made MORE sense than either the production order or the broadcast order, as both of them had their own different "continuity" issues.

As I went thru this, I didn't bother (yet) upgrading the 2 movies, which to me have always been TERRIBLY-inferior compared to the regular series.  But maybe at some point.

CAPTAIN SCARLET AND THE MYSTERONS -- Another case where the production order varied from broadcast order (and the DVDs were in broadcast order).  Yes, the show does make more sense seen in production order.  This show came under fire from censors in America, lambasting it as one of the "worst" offenders (along with GIGANTOR and SPACE GHOST) when it came to "violence on children's television".  For me, it was great to FINALLY see all of them INTACT, UNCUT.  My one frustration was that they never "finished the story".  I remember discussing it with Robin on one of our countless long-winded e-mails... and without even meaning to, I speculated right then on HOW they could have wrapped it up in ONE single episode. Blew my mind how easy it just came out like that.  I'm sure I still have that e-mail on the server.  One of these days, I've got to find that, so I can pass it on.  To me, if you're going to tell one "big story", it not only needs a beginning and middle, but, AN ENDING.

JOE 90 -- I had only ever seen 4 episodes of this, edited together as a "movie" on cable in the 80s.  I didn't know what the heck to make of it.  But, eventually, as I kept watching, it grew on me.  By the way, after THUNDERBIRDS, I stuck to the one episode per week schedule on Sundays nights.  I'm STILL doing it!

THE SECRET SERVICE -- Another "What the HECK am I watching?" things.  Also, some fun.  But I understand Lew Grade (who cancelled TB 6 episodes into its 2nd season, and in the process screwed over HUNDREDS of licensing contracts) saw one episode of this and immediatley demanded Anderson STOP doing it at 12 episodes.  Oh well.

JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN -- I never liked this THING.  It's an over-blown "Twilight Zone" story with a pointlessly downbeat feel from start to finish, especially the ending.  Somebody really should have told Gerry & Sylvia to hire REAL writers.  All 3 of their feature films border on unwatchable.

UFO -- This was a SHOCK.  No kidding.  I'd initially seen it in reruns in the mid-70s, then, it became the first Anderson series I taped in its entirety off The Sci-Fi Channel in the 90s.  But none of that prepared me for my reaction to the DVD set.  First off, I quickly found out Sci-Fi had cut 6 MINUTES from every episode.  Okay, bad enough.  But more.  The show was run COMPLETELY OUT OF SEQUENCE in England and in America.  The DVDs, with 2 minor exceptions, are in PRODUCTION order.  And-- MY GOD!!!  What a collossal, huge, mind-blowing difference it makes.  There's far more continuity and evolution of characters and story on this than on any other Anderson series (with the possible exception of SPACE PRECINCT).  It neatly breaks down into 2 parts of 13 episodes each.  The first 13, you see the SHADO organization desperately trying to gets its act together, and barely scraping by in their secret war with the mysterous aliens.  Then, in the 2nd half, they really start to make headway.  But this is countered by the aliens upping their game, repeateldy coming up with more and different bizarre tactics.  ALL of this is completely destroyed if you watch them in broadcast order.  I saw someone at the IMDB complaining, "Why are the DVDs out of sequence?"  IDIOT!

I'll tell you the only 2 instances of episodes being out of sequence.  The first is, "Survival" was filmed before "Exposed".  "Survival" was the 1st Paul Foster story, but he was only supposed to appear in that one.  While making it, they realized he was just what the show needed (Paul's like a "Riker" to Straker's "Picard").  So they quickly wrote & filmed "Exposed" to "introduce" Paul.  The DVDs have "Exposed" before "Survival", which makes perfect sense.

The 2nd instance is right near the end.  Inexplicably, someone decided to swap the order of "Mindbender" and "Timelash".  On the DVDs, "Timelash" is first.  Out of curiosity, I watched them in BOTH orders, just to compare and get a feel.  OH man.  There was NO doubt in my head.  "Mindbender" (filmed first) SHOULD be watched first.  "Mindbender" was almost certainly moved to after, because part of it qualifies as a "clip show", and Anderson did several of those LAST.  However... BOTH episodes take place almost entirely outdoors in the movie studio, and, if watched back-to-back, form a loose "two-parter".  "Timelash", seen that way, is not only the 2nd half of said "two-parter", by the time it's over, you find yourself EXHAUSTED from watching.  And then, after, you have the relatively low-key (and tragically downbeat) "epilogue", of "The Long Sleep".  In that, Straker begins to fall in love with a young girl who was victimized by the aliens years before.  Until, SUDDENLY, she dies of old age at the end, leaving him in a state of shock.  The last scene, without words, has Straker walking away into the distance, with Virginia Lake at his side.

Straker & Lake had a difficult relationship in those later episodes, but watching them all, when I get to the end, it was so clear that, IF the show had come back for a 2nd season, they would have become a couple.  Who else could he confide in but someone else in his own obsessively-TOP-SECRET outfit? It's another case of where, I get to the end, and I scream at the TV, "THIS WAS NO TIME TO CANCEL THE SHOW!!!"

The insanity was all Lew Grade's.  Two-thirds of the way thru, the studio they were filming at closed down.  It took at least 6 MONTHS to set up elsewhere, by which time several cast members had left and been replaced.  But ITC never aired a single episode of UFO until all 26 were in the can-- then, ran them out of order.  THOSE IDIOTS!  With nothing else on the agenda, Century 21 had to CLOSE DOWN, all its people found other jobs, before UFO ever got on the air.  That's how Derek Meddings wound up working on LIVE AND LET DIE.

I now see UFO as one of Anderson's BEST shows-- which was TOTALLY-sabotaged by the networks.  Its slow sense of long-term world-building was DECADES ahead of its time.  What a tragedy.  But nothing as tragic as what came later.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 05:44:39 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.