in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,888 books
 New: 90 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Where do we stop?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Where do we stop?  (Read 4969 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Where do we stop?
« on: November 09, 2008, 11:59:02 PM »

Should we list a stopping point for companies that continued on into the SA? We currently go to issue 47 on Forbidden Worlds. Is that where we want to stop or will we take more? Same with Adv into the Unk and many Charlton titles. I think making a list of what issue we will stop accepting after is better than having a questionable date. Prize also has a few.
ip icon Logged

Geo (R.I.P.)

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Where do we stop?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 03:12:44 AM »

I believe Aussie put the cut-off date as 1959 for some publishers as the latest books that can be posted up Narfstar. Maybe you should contact her for more about it would be my take on it.

Geo
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:53:33 AM »

I've been playing it by ear but I believe Geo is right about the date and the advice.
:)
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:46:30 AM »

Perhaps some sections might go further, but most will stop at whatever the last number was that l indicated. Comics printed in the 60's are automatically copyright protected, no renewals were necessary so we will not be going much further, because unless the publisher indicated somewhere they were making them PD, none will be.
ip icon Logged

bbbrown

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »

This is a topic I am very glad some one brought up.  I was just trying to figure out what exactly was considered Golden Age and what was Silver Age so checked wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_(comics) and found that they have no real hard and clear cut-off day listed.   

I guess I had always considered the Golden Age to end and the Silver to begin with the first issue of the Fantastic Four.  According to some of the dates they used I am 10 years off. Then when I load up the Silver Age wiki page it even mentions a cut off year of 1945 with the time inbetween being called the atomic age
Quote from: wiki
and a brief interregnum between 1945 and 1956, called the Atomic Age of Comic Books

So I end up being even more confused in what to consider what.

I believe Aussie put the cut-off date as 1959 for some publishers as the latest books that can be posted up Narfstar.

Is this in a message on here that some one could point a newbie on the web site to?  I looked around a bit for it without any success, Knowing what publishers are or not considered to have comics in the public domain could really help me from wasting time and bandwidth. 

(side note...so weird to be considered a newbie anywhere regarding comics now, it does give me a chuckle once in a while see it under my name)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »

Hi BBB,
You just need to post more messages.

Anyways there is a thread on the very fuzzy area of 'ages of comics' right here on the board:
http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1044.0.html

It's an area I stay away from as nobody is wrong or right.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Aussie500

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Aussie500
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »

This is a topic I am very glad some one brought up.  I was just trying to figure out what exactly was considered Golden Age and what was Silver Age so checked wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_(comics) and found that they have no real hard and clear cut-off day listed.   

I guess I had always considered the Golden Age to end and the Silver to begin with the first issue of the Fantastic Four.  According to some of the dates they used I am 10 years off. Then when I load up the Silver Age wiki page it even mentions a cut off year of 1945 with the time inbetween being called the atomic age
Quote from: wiki
and a brief interregnum between 1945 and 1956, called the Atomic Age of Comic Books

So I end up being even more confused in what to consider what.

I believe Aussie put the cut-off date as 1959 for some publishers as the latest books that can be posted up Narfstar.

Is this in a message on here that some one could point a newbie on the web site to?  I looked around a bit for it without any success, Knowing what publishers are or not considered to have comics in the public domain could really help me from wasting time and bandwidth. 

(side note...so weird to be considered a newbie anywhere regarding comics now, it does give me a chuckle once in a while see it under my name)

The cut off date for series continuing into the silver age will be in the information for the title on the download site, some might not have been added yet. Mainly it is just some of the Charlton and ACG titles that would go up to 1959, the Dell comics will often have the comics copy protected from 1955 onwards even if the early ones were PD, same with some of the Harvey titles.
ip icon Logged

bbbrown

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »

Thanks to you both.  I did find the earlier topic on it through some searching.  I guess I was thinking more of what is the golden age all comics, not just public domain ones because of how confusing the wiki article was.  At least I learned more about the various periods of comics than I knew before. :)

As for posting more, I seem to rarely get much time to visit and participate in web sites the last year or so.  Too much other stuff keeping me busy so I almost always stick at newbie status anywhere I visit.  Most of the time I rarely post as by the time I get back to the web site to reply to any answers it has been too long of a time.  Some places by the time I get the time to visit again I even have to re-register :(  I had even forgot that I had this account. 
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:00:24 AM »

Well, it's always nice to hear from you when you do make it B!
Have a happy holiday and a good new year if we don't see you before then.
:)
ip icon Logged

DennyWilson

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 09:50:05 PM »

Mind if a newbie chimes in? :)

Ever thought of setting up a catch-all section or companion site for the 1959-1963 comics that are in the public domain? (December,1963 being the last month that did not get automatic copyright renewals.)

While the foucs of the site is Golden Age, we shouldn't neglect the early silver-age,either. (Especially if a series continued and is out of copyright.)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 01:14:53 AM »

Prize comics continued on past 1960 and I have a couple of their post 1959 romance. This being a GA site they do not belong here but their are "other" places where things are welcome.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 07:54:53 PM »

While there's a set of Silver and even Bronze Age books (a lot of Charlton books, for instance, were published with malformed copyright notices), the rules become more irritating even before the automatic renewals start.  To contradict my "malformed copyright" suggestion, you were later allowed to fix the notice and regain copyright.

Personally, I'd very much like to see something like this happen, but I suspect it'd quickly overload the maintainers as they verify every copyright notice and guess whether a company would have rectified anything that was bad.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.