in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,888 books
 New: 91 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The New 52

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The New 52  (Read 5316 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
The New 52
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:30 AM »

I figure the New 52 deserved its own topic. What did you stop what do you still get?

I have always been partial to team books with more superheroes for my dollar. I did not like JLA or Stormwatch but still get JLI, Birds of Prey and Teen Titans. I have liked Worlds Finest so far but Earth 2 has been really lame.
ip icon Logged

josemas

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: The New 52
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:29:46 AM »

Of the first batch of 52 titles I am still getting the three Justice League titles (I'm partial to team books too), Aquaman, Batwoman (my interest has been kinda slipping on this one) and All Star Western.  I also am picking up the two Legion titles for the Lil Missus.  I guess with JLI being cancelled soon I'll have that one knocked off the list.
Of the recent additions I've read the first issues of World's Finest, Earth 2, Dial H for Hero and G. I. Combat.  I'll give them all a few issues- probably the first story arc- to decide if I'll continue with them.  So far, I'm with Narf, in that, World's Finest is my favorite of the bunch.

Best

Joe
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:55:47 PM »

Let's see;

I have a friend who buys all the DC comics each week.  He lets me have them after he finishes reading them.  I'm sure you get the idea.

Not paying for them, I like to think I read them objectively. 

I've waited until 10 months in to begin the process of reading these new books, starting with Superman.  So far, I've read the first 6-issue story arc. 

This involves Superman fighting a mechanical-type menace which unleashes havoc on to Metropolis.  It's sort of a V-ger plot, if you've seen the original Star Trek movie.

Perez does a nice job on the art.  It's not over-rendered, (so you can't really tell what's going on in overly busy panels) which is nice.  The action flows nicely, as Perez is a pro and knows what he's doing. 

I believe this story could have been effectively told in 3 issues, maybe 2.  For a relaunch, I would have expected something a little more memorable.  I predict this will stick in my mind about as tightly as those 1970's DCs did. 

So my personal reflection process goes like this:  After reading this stuff, do I feel like my time would have been better spent reading something else?  Or, did it leave me lacking?  I think this process serves me better than being overly critical.  I mean, it's just a comic book.  One that I didn't even pay for.  Still, I think that the story arc just wasn't very compelling.

I think I'll move over to Action Comics and see what that's about.
ip icon Logged

Florian R. Guillon

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 10:01:52 PM »

Dargaud published the French versions of 12 series from the New 52 last month. 4 series per magazine.

Batman Saga gathers Batman (also available in a hardcover edition at the same time), Detective Comics, Batman & Robin and Batgirl. It seems like a fresh start, but I wonder how the rejuvenation of the characters will be explained. Batman must have been active for 5 years or so, but Dick is still an adult and Damian a 10 year old boy. That's what bothers me. Apart from that, well - it's still the Batman I like to read. Batgirl is the weakest.

Green Lantern Saga gathers Green Lantern (also in HC), Red Lanterns, New Guardians and GL Corps. Still the same, in fact. I wonder if Red Lanterns can last, honestly - I don't believe in Atrocitus & Co's charisma.

DC Saga gathers Justice League (also in HC), Superman, Flash and Supergirl. That's where the change begins. And that's where I have doubts. Supergirl has great art, but the story tells nothing. And Superman is - well, I can't express it. Too many dialogues? Lack of dynamic art? Really can't say.

The common point between all these issues 1 is the fact the stories are just prologues. The art is great, but the writing seems to slow down the developments.

Another thing is, why did the publisher only picked 12 series for the magazines? And why did they decide to release the hardcovers for three of them on the same month? Each magazine has room for another comic. And readers can't decide whether to buy the HC or the magazine, not knowing if the other series will be released later in HCs as well.

I haven't read the thirteenth series, Wonder Woman, because it's released directly into a HC, and some more will be too. I liked what I read so far, I hope it's becoming better.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 11:14:11 PM »

Having digested the first 9 Action Comics, I believe the series to be markedly superior to Superman.  There are many plots and subplots floated within these comics.  A new version of Brainiac appears, as does Kandor.  Superman's suit is explained, and interesting background is provided for Jonathan and Martha, giving them greater personal depth.  After 4 issues, the story reverts to the origin story, and combines with the prior story in issue 7.  Things are wrapped up by issue 8, and a one-off story appears in issue 9. 

The first two issues have a bit choppy story flow, and the panel to panel sequencing is not always as fluid as it might be.  Things begin moving much better by issue three.  The back-up background stories are excellent, and add nice detailing to the Superman universe and myth. 

Grant Morrison is like many writers who have tried to revamp Superman, he picks and chooses his continuity references from the Silver Age, but doesn't seem to need to wink at the fanboy base while he's doing it.  The Legion of Super Hero sequence was a little confusing as several time lines and subsequent realities are merging; a little muddy for my taste.  Fact is, tho, I like the three-person original Legion presentation because the more recent incarnations, with seemingly limitless roster, has never been interesting to me.  I think it was Milton Caniff who claimed that trying to keep track of over 4 characters at one time is not really the best idea in comics.

Overall, I kinda liked what I read.

Perhaps we'll see what Animal Man looks like.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:26:24 AM »

Re Animal Man:

If you've got a lot of time and money, Animal man is your kind of comic.  The story has had little to no story advancement between issues 3 and 9.  Same horrific dream- like sequences over and over.  Three characters from some realm called the Rot are trying to capture Buddy's daughter Maxine, who is called the Avatar of the Red, yet another realm.  She has great, but as of yet undefined power.  People an animals are slaughtered pretty regularly, so if you like that kind of thing, there are plenty do disturbing images to behold.

The writer, Lemire, has written some nice stuff in the past, most notably Essex County which I liked a lot.  Perhaps this assignment is just not a good fit for his disposition, I don't know.  Having read the original Animal Man series back in the day, this attempt really disappoints.  I'd be interested on hearing from anyone who likes this series just to try to understand why. 

I understand that Blachhawk, OMAC and some other series have already been cancelled.  I guess rather than embarrassingly rebranding the relaunch to "The New 46" or whatever, DC has put out some new titles.  I wouldn't be surprised to see the all-new Rex the Wonder Dog or perhaps a revised Swing With Scooter.  Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

I think I'll move on to Flash.  I don't have the courage to tackle a team book yet.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 04:54:32 AM »

I just read that Amethyst and the Phantom Stranger are among the character given titles to replace JLI, Captain Atom, Resurrection Man, and the chick that was a stripper. 

Amethyst.  Let that roll around in your mind for a while.  Say "Princess of Gemword" to yourself--slowly, so you can take in the full effect of the weight of the words.  Can you believe it?  Aren't you excited?  $4.00 each, or the originals for 10 cents. 

Bring back Prez, I say!! 

I imagine I hear the sound of muffled sound of flushing. 

Oh well, at least they wouldn't do something really stupid, like putting Scott Lobdel on Superman.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »

Obviously someone has a wonderful idea that is going to take Amethysts to undreamed of heights. Of course DC is going to cancel one of the few books I like the JLI. But I liked that version of the Justice League back in the day because it was fun. World's Finest has taken its place on my pull list.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 01:52:07 PM »

One more time.  Just look at the word:

Amethyst

A column of chills has rolled up my spine.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 03:21:30 PM »

The Flash.......

Explore the somewhat gruesome idea that a human is capable of regenerating lost body parts.  Gruesome in that the lost body parts are capable of regenerating whole humans.  CIA creates this for a secret program which is never explained.

Captain Cold is introduced as a damaged mind fixated an Flash for causing the Cap's sister's brain tumor.  No explanation on Cap or his ability to generate cold from his body. 

It is established that the faster Flash runs, the more damaged he causes Earth by creating wormholes to some other realm.  Badda bing Badda boom everyone is back from danger. 

There is some character development which is good.  More gay characters.  (there's a lot of emphasis on this in DC books of late.  What's up?)

I don't know that this is compelling reading, buts it's not ...bad.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 07:01:59 PM »

Flash sounds awful
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 07:28:10 PM »

Narf,

Flash may be awful, but I still think it trumps Animal Man.  There was no reboot of the character, just the supporting people.  We never see Barry get dumped with the chemicals.  Iris is just a reporter/character. 

Something about the pacing and the lack of real story and character motivation that left me wanting.

I so do look forward to Amethyst though.  That's such a high concept, the stories should just about write themselves.  Don't you think?

I was thinking about sitting down for about 5 minutes and doing a quick treatment for a revival of Ozzie and Harriet and sending it off to DiDio.  Keeping the "52" going may need a little assistance.

I've got a buddy who's pitching Justice League Minneapolis and Justice League St. Paul.  He thinks the synergy would be amazing.  The cross-overs and spin offs could be endless!
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 03:17:39 AM »

The Justice League:

I liked this title a lot, for all the wrong reasons.  You know how when somebody does a remake of characters you've grown familiar with, the new versions never seem quite right.  Johns does that with the team members, making them react and interact in ways that seem different even to the books that each "star" in.  But the free-wheeling way in which Johns re-interprets everything has an odd charm to it. 

It took 6 issues to establish the team and get Darkseid into a boom tube.  Johns took the time to build each personality, all around the Darkseid story. Not bad. 

I'm not even a little bit enamored by Jim Lee.  Never have been. He draws a confusing mess of things in each panel.  Just figuring out what's actually happening is quite a task. There's no depth in his work, and the character action in the foreground just vanishes into the overwhelming background. I'm probably on the minority on my assessment of Lee.  So be it.  The work here is nowhere near the confusing messes he's illustrated in the past, so that's a huge plus.

As i said, the stories were decent, but i really like the Shazam back-up.  Billy Batson, Freddy Freeman, and Mary (no last name yet) are so completely different from the original Fawcett concept that it just draws you in to see how this is going to work out.  I don't know how this would work for someone not familiar with the original concept, but i'm hooked. 

In my humble estimation, this series is at least on par with Action, if not somewhat better.  May be the best thing i've seen so far. 
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 05:07:48 PM »

Wonder Woman:

The character portrayed in Justice League is as a naive Amazon, discovered by Steve Trevor.  In an opposite spin from the original, Trevor is spurned by the Amazon.  In this new incarnation in Justice League two things stand as prominent (behave yourself).  One is Wonder Woman's desire for a good fight, and secondly her stumbling through learning the ways of American and world culture.

The Wonder Woman comic bears little in common with this portrayal.  In the series book, there is no naivety in the character.  She seems Superman-esque in her stoic determination.  One would have to assume that the series takes place significantly later, as Justice League is clearly set at a time when the character are just meeting each other for the first time.  The issue isn't the possible time difference in the stories, it's the character of the character.

Let's assume that 5 years have elapsed between Justice League and Wonder Woman.  I base this off the text in Flash that claims he has been running about for 5 years when the first issue story commences.  What has happened to the princess in that 5 years seems to be a total personality transformation.  The eager fighter who revels in combat is gone, replaced by a contemplative woman whose joy in life may come from sleeping in the nude. 

The series story tells of the intrigues of the Olympian gods as they jockey for position in the wake of Zeus's absence.  Diana takes it upon herself to protect a young woman, pregnant with Zeus's child; a child potentially her brother or sister as Diana discovers that she is far from a lump of clay, but actually the daughter of Zeus and Hypolita.  As you might imagine, Hera is pissed.

I like this story.  The Olympian intrigues, and appearances by quite a number of gods and goddesses make for intersting reading.  Thing is, I also like the innocent, naive warrior princess portrayed in Justice League.  I guess if I could put up with Earth-1 and Earth-2 for all those years, i can live with this too.

I just received the Ame-comi versions of Wonder Woman, and I have yet to digest those.  Third version?

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.