in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Art ID

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

topic icon Author Topic: Art ID  (Read 55716 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Art ID
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2009, 04:53:01 AM »

Sorry GCD groups location. Here is a link that should work for all

http://narfstar.cwahi.net/ArtID/TerryP012_04ad.jpg
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #101 on: June 23, 2009, 05:19:38 AM »

Sorry GCD groups location. Here is a link that should work for all

http://narfstar.cwahi.net/ArtID/TerryP012_04ad.jpg

thanks for the peek, narf. THis looks like Al Bare to me. I don't see Roussos.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2009, 06:07:27 AM »

GCD has credit for Punch 19 cover as Ricca http://www.comics.org/coverview.lasso?id=5228&zoom=4
Sure looks like Paul G figures to me as does the Echo story inside.

You're right on both counts, Narf.

For the record and for those who don't know who we're talking about, it's Paul Gattuso.

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:19 AM »

Thanks Jim. From the first time I saw the Black Dwarf in my IW reprint there was an artist I could ID. Like the Eugene Hughes cover on Battle Fire jumped out at me. Of course Paul should not be much of a challenge to anyone.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2009, 04:52:45 PM »

Paul G seems to love that open mouthed screaming woman theme a lot eh?  And they have the Betty Page bangs mostly too.  Can't blame him for liking those.  ;)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Crime Mysteries 3
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2009, 04:01:31 PM »

Hey I got Paul Gattuso right maybe lighting will strike twice with my Myron Fass guess
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »

Could be, narf,
but the true of the matter is, I don't know. However, having said that, the girl looks nicely drawn and I don't think of Fass as being that good. But, who know?

Sigh...

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Art Id hobby
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2009, 05:22:39 PM »

Art ID can be fun. I have been going through some Harvey Horror for Roy's Alter Ego. Lee Elias can have some pretty telling eyes and hair. I would see a story or cover and immediately think all Elias. I saw a story that I thought looked like Elias but not quite. I checked the GCD and sure enough Elias was pencil with unknown inks. I found I quickly picked up Al Avison. That is the advantage of going over a lot of the same thing at one time. The problem is it will soon all become a big blur except the all Elias which can be pretty easy. It is fun to be good for a little while.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2009, 09:43:12 PM »

I was looking at Star Studded Comics # 1 and came across Captain Combat.  Both the Grand Comic-Book Database and Who's Who of American Comic Books list Bernard Baily as the artist.  My first impression when I saw this story was that it looks simliar to John Giunta's style, based on what I've seen of his work from The Duke of Darkness, Flamingo, and other features credited to Giunta during that time period.  I'm not familiar with Baily's artwork, so I'm wondering whether or not the Baily credit is accurate or not.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:21:24 PM by bchat »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2009, 10:16:45 PM »

I would say JVJ can give a pretty definitive answer to that
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: kquattro
message icon
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2009, 10:24:22 PM »

I'm not familiar with Baily's artwork, so I'm wondering whether or not the Baily credit is accurate or not.

It's Giunta, definitely.

--Ken Q
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2009, 01:29:19 AM »

I will seldom say definitely but it sure looks it to me. It also makes me wonder if Giunta did his own coloring. When you see Cole or Giunta there is a color scheme that is as distinctive or more so than the art.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2009, 03:48:31 AM »

I'm not familiar with Baily's artwork, so I'm wondering whether or not the Baily credit is accurate or not.

It's Giunta, definitely.

--Ken Q

It's produced IN the Baily Shop, but the artist IS John Giunta. And, you know who is always a potential inker on Giunta at this point? Frank Frazetta. This is right around the time of Tally Ho #1, FF's first credited comic book work. BUT, remember, the only reason he got to do The Snowman in TH was because his assisting on Giunta's work was so precociously brilliant. He IS involved in several JG stories around this time.

ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2009, 03:20:05 PM »

Thanks everyone!  For whatever reason, I'm becoming quite the fan of Giunta's work, and I've started grouping together on my pc any stories he worked on.  I didn't want to put Captain Combat with the other stories if it wasn't by him.  There are tons of artists whose work I haven't been exposed to yet, so there was no way I could have felt confident enough to say "GCD & WW must be wrong".

JVJ, if you don't mind my asking & picking your brain for a moment - Was Frazetta just the inker on the Snowman story?  Did Giunta have anything to do with the other features in Tally-Ho (He-Man, Man in Black ... GCD only lists the Snowman story)?
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »

Thanks everyone!  For whatever reason, I'm becoming quite the fan of Giunta's work, and I've started grouping together on my pc any stories he worked on.  I didn't want to put Captain Combat with the other stories if it wasn't by him.  There are tons of artists whose work I haven't been exposed to yet, so there was no way I could have felt confident enough to say "GCD & WW must be wrong".

JVJ, if you don't mind my asking & picking your brain for a moment - Was Frazetta just the inker on the Snowman story?  Did Giunta have anything to do with the other features in Tally-Ho (He-Man, Man in Black ... GCD only lists the Snowman story)?

I, too, am a big Giunta fan. The earliest I've seen him is in 1942 doing big foot stuff in Timely's Joker or Comedy Comics. His work at Harvey in the 1059s Horror titles is variable, but his best there rivals anything from any of the other Harvey artists.

The Snowman story is credited
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2009, 08:51:24 PM »

I, too, am a big Giunta fan.

Me too. At times his work was brilliant. I've heard that illness kept him from achieving consistency. Hence his use of assistants--particularly Stallman--that impeded his own style, IMHO. I believe it's been discussed here before, but Giunta was one of the near-greats whose best work has gone mostly unrecognized. His later work at Marvel probably impacted the perception of him as just another journeyman artist, but I think he was--at times--much more than that.

...while The Man in Black is traditionally attributed to Bob Fujitani, I believe it is more likely to me George Gregg. Giunta MIGHT have done some pencils/layouts on the Gregg story.

You're probably right again, Jim, but I've got a question/tossing out a possibility regarding Fuje:
While I haven't yet found anything signed by him in an identifiable (at least by me) Baily shop produced comic, I have found a few signed stories that appeared in comics with a Baily shop "presence". Specifically, a few of the Holyoke/Continental comics like CAT-MAN (which, perhaps not coincidentally, also contain George Gregg art in some issues). And then there's that "Captain Truth" story in GOLD MEDAL. I believe you attribute that to Gregg as well, but Ron Goulart flatly told me it was "definitely Bob Fujitani". Did Gregg and Fuje ever work together? Is there that much of a resemblance between their styles at the time? Baily routinely employed freelancers and I've wondered if Fuje may have been one at times.

--Ken Q
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2009, 10:05:08 PM »

Jim, you're a wealth of information!

The Snowman story is credited
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2009, 10:46:12 PM »

I think Charles Voight would have worked solo. He's an old-timer with much more experience than Giunta. He goes back to 1908 with a strip that lasted for 20 years. It's unlikely that he would have needed help. It may simply be that he "aped" the design/layout style of the shop that hired him - i.e. Baily, whose mainstay artist was Giunta.

It's possible that Tally-Ho was released several times in hopes of increased sales returns. Since there are three distinct printings, and the "blacked out indicia versions have no dates, it's impossible for us to be certain of what happened and when. Welcome to the can of worms.

Ken, I've seen SIGNED George Gregg that, unsigned, I would have ID'd as Fuje. Whether they worked together or Gregg was simply enamored by the Fuje style (and a great copyist), I don't know. More worms...

This Man in Black art is grotesque in a way that Fuje isn't. Not that Fuje can't be grotesque, but just this doesn't have his approach, IMHO. There's an underlying drawing style that looks more like Gregg (or Giunta/Gregg) to me and the finishes are Fuje-esque, but, again, not quite right. I know that there is some Fuje connection with some comics that Baily Shop worked on, but as you say, the same can be said of Gregg, who also has some connection with the Ferstadt Shop. Much puzzlement, eh?

Would you like those worms baked or stir-fried?

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #118 on: November 18, 2009, 10:57:21 PM »

I'm just enjoying the meal. Unfortunate that much will never be know definitively and how many of us would love to know. Any idea on Giunta coloring his work? Could be just Baily shop but it does seem that his work does stand out.
ip icon Logged

kquattro

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #119 on: November 18, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »

I think Charles Voight would have worked solo.

Generally I'd agree with this, Jim, but Voight had at least one known collaboration with Mo Weiss. Check out this page on Heritage Auction's site:
http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=823&Lot_No=42536&src=pr
And sometimes Voight's art looked more like Voight than at other times. For instance, the "Red Rogue" story in STAR STUDDED. I'm pretty sure that's Voight in there somewhere, but other panels barely look like him at all. Where's his gorgeous penwork? Don't know if that's Weiss assisting, but I thought I'd point it out.

It's possible that Tally-Ho was released several times in hopes of increased sales returns. Since there are three distinct printings, and the "blacked out indicia versions have no dates, it's impossible for us to be certain of what happened and when. Welcome to the can of worms.

I know of one Baily comic that was DEFINITELY reprinted 5 years after it's first printing! I'm saving the details for my article, but your speculation is correct again!

Ken, I've seen SIGNED George Gregg that, unsigned, I would have ID'd as Fuje. Whether they worked together or Gregg was simply enamored by the Fuje style (and a great copyist), I don't know.

and

I know that there is some Fuje connection with some comics that Baily Shop worked on, but as you say, the same can be said of Gregg, who also has some connection with the Ferstadt Shop.

Aiyeee! It's maddening! I know Fujitani was still alive a few years back. Maybe I can track him down and fill in this blank.

Would you like those worms baked or stir-fried?

Mmmm, worms...

--Ken Q
« Last Edit: November 19, 2009, 12:38:50 AM by kquattro »
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #120 on: November 18, 2009, 11:49:22 PM »

I'm amazed at how hard it is to find information on the internet for many of these artists.  I went to several sites looking for info on Giunta and came away with practically nothing beyond when he died (what was his illness?) and a couple of people he worked with.  I was totally surprised that Wikipedia doesn't even have a short paragraph about the guy.  Ditto Charles Voight ... just not a lot of information about their careers, which would be helpful for people like myself looking to learn more.

Narf - I, too, notice that Giunta's work had a certain "color-quality" to it.  If he didn't do the coloring himself, maybe he had a favorite colorist?

Jim - It was just a thought regarding Giunta laying-out the He-Man story as I have zero knowledge of Voight's career & style beyond what little I just learned searching the internet.

For instance, the "Red Rogue" story in STAR STUDDED. I'm pretty sure that's Voight in there somewhere, but other panels barely look like him at all. Where's his gorgeous penwork?

That's Voight?!  I found a sample of his work online somewhere, which was basically just drawings of women in different poses, but the Red Rogue story looks crude by comparison.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #121 on: November 19, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »

A couple of things, Ken (and bchat),
You
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #122 on: November 19, 2009, 05:22:35 AM »

A wonderful discussion here guys - thanks very much for sharing your thoughts!
:)
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #123 on: November 19, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »

This is the kinda stuff that makes the GAC the place to be. No arguements just good thoughtful discussion.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #124 on: November 19, 2009, 04:06:27 PM »

One of the things that makes that opinion more informed is simply the fact that I
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.