in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How did you find us?

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: How did you find us?  (Read 256277 times)

HistoryBuff

message icon
Re: How did you find us?
« Reply #950 on: August 18, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »

I stumbled across this site courtesy of searching the web for some digital comics. Glad that I did as I have never heard of most of these titles. As my screen name suggests I enjoy History. Not just World or U.S. history but also the history of the things I enjoy. This site promises to be a treasure trove of information regarding some history of comic books and I'm very excited to see that its one that has really come to life here.

I just wish that I had more time to read the comics here and interact with others. Hopefully I'll be able to spend some time here soon!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #951 on: August 19, 2019, 06:34:49 PM »

Welcome to CB+, HistoryBuff.  Comicbook history is a big subject.  You're sure to find lots to enjoy and inform.  If you have questions, please post them and someone will try to answer.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #952 on: August 20, 2019, 06:58:29 AM »

Welcome, HistoryBuff. Since everything here is over 50 years old, everything on it is history. But in some places you you will find comics and magazines actually dealing with history. Try 'Parents' Magazine Press' and look through, '  One-Title Publishers' and the  '   Small Press' titles for a start, Happy hunting!   
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #953 on: August 21, 2019, 01:07:49 AM »

Welcome Historybuff. You may want to try titles with Real in them as a start. Stamps Comics is also pretty historical as well as Picture Progress
ip icon Logged

HistoryBuff

message icon
« Reply #954 on: August 22, 2019, 07:47:14 PM »

Thanks all for the warm welcome and the suggestions. I also think that my nephew would enjoy this site, so I'll be sure to share it with him!
ip icon Logged

Jos

message icon
« Reply #955 on: September 22, 2019, 11:06:15 AM »

Buenos d
ip icon Logged

flying t

message icon
« Reply #956 on: September 29, 2019, 08:37:33 PM »

wanted to find some of the comics i read in my youth.started when i was learning to read say 1954, got my allowance of 25cts,2 comic books and a candy bar,,found you by search engine,happy! then in cleveland hts,now sc  bishopville.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #957 on: October 18, 2019, 07:01:03 AM »

I grew up reading Disney (Carl Barks), and other "Funny Animal", and cartoony Human comedic Comics in the late 1940s, and 1950s, but also had many of those starting from about 1940, as hand-me downs from older cousins with whom I lived (in Canada, The Netherlands and USA).  I've been a comic book storywriter, storyboard artist, and cover sketch artist since 1985.  I stopped buying US and Dutch comics during the early 1960s.  Due to storage constraints, I only kept my 1940-1964 Disney Comics.

I found Comic Book + when Googling "Ken Hultgren comic book stories".  I knew he, and many other animators at Disney Studios, left in the 1941 strike, and worked for comic book publishers (i only knew they worked for Western Publishing/Dell.  I read that many of them worked also for Sangor/Hughes Studios in New York.  That sent me directly to a page full of Giggle, HaHa, Barnyard, CooCoo, Happy and Goofy comic book covers (all of which contained stories drawn by Hultgren).  I clicked on one, and it led me to your website's download/reading pages of that book.  I was immediately hooked.  Those books contained terrific art drawn mainly by current and former animation artists from Disney, WB, MGM, Lantz, Fleischer, and the other animation studios, ALL of which I had NEVER SEEN, or even knew that they existed. 

Growing up in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Den Haag, Netherlands, and later, Chicago, I NEVER saw ANY of those Creston/ACG or Better/Standard funny animal comics on the newstand, grocery store, or drug store shelves.  Were they only regional?  I DO have scans of one very small Canadian series"Merry-Go-Round Comics" - but they must have operated only in Ontario.  We had Disney in The Netherlands (1952), and WB, MGM, and Lantz, later.  But, none of the non-big studio US lines.  We did have our own from Marten Toonder (Panda, Thom Poes), and other comics like Suske & Wiske. 

I've been reading your books for a couple years, and downloading stories from various Internet sources for a couple years, and receiving many from friends. As I want to obtain digital copies of ALL (or most) of the US 1936-1960 funny animal and cartoony comical Human character comics (except for those whose art is not very good, but also want those that have extremely witty comedy or terrific stories, even if the art is not very good). 

I hope not only to download comic books and comic strips from this website, but also to privately swap individual story scans and whole book scans from both PD and non-PD with other members, to fill in the books I am currently missing.  Of course, I will make any PD scans I have, which Comic Book + does NOT have, available to the website, if they will meet their standards.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:18:40 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #958 on: October 19, 2019, 03:23:07 PM »

Welcome to CB+, Robb. I enjoyed reading your bio.  Thanks.
As you lived in the Netherlands I'm sure you'll agree that Tom Poes by the great Martin Toonder is one of the best "Funny Animal" strips.  If so, I'll get on my hobby horse and mention a couple of British strips which bear a look at, if you're not familiar with them.  Rupert The Bear  is a lovely strip, especially when done by Alfred Bestall:-
https://debbiepullinger.wordpress.com/tag/rupert-bear/
http://www.fulltable.com/vts/aoi/b/bestall/a.htm

Flook is great fun and a bit weird:-
https://www.facebook.com/pg/FlookByTrpg/photos/?ref=page_internal
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #959 on: October 22, 2019, 08:07:42 AM »

Welcome to CB+, Robb. I enjoyed reading your bio.  Thanks.
As you lived in the Netherlands I'm sure you'll agree that Tom Poes by the great Martin Toonder is one of the best "Funny Animal" strips.  If so, I'll get on my hobby horse and mention a couple of British strips which bear a look at, if you're not familiar with them.  Rupert The Bear  is a lovely strip, especially when done by Alfred Bestall:-
https://debbiepullinger.wordpress.com/tag/rupert-bear/
http://www.fulltable.com/vts/aoi/b/bestall/a.htm

Flook is great fun and a bit weird:-
https://www.facebook.com/pg/FlookByTrpg/photos/?ref=page_internal

I know of "Rupert The Bear".  We've had it all along in The Netherlands.  He is called "Bruintje Beer" here.  Many of his strips were printed during the 1980s and early 1990s in "Donald Duck Weekblad" (for whom I have worked, as a storywriter, storyboard and cover sketch artist for the past 35 years).

I didn't know Flook, at all, despite spending a fair amount of time in England during the 1970s through the 1990s.  Maybe he didn't exist back then?  But, I didn't really pay attention to British newspaper comics, in any case.  It's design seems a bit too modern for me.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #960 on: October 22, 2019, 08:49:28 AM »

Aye, Bruintje  Bear.  I have a landscape compilation which I bought in a Dutch comic shop - I'm a big fan of Dutch newspaper strips, or the Belgian reprints if I can't find the originals. Without digging out the B B book, I think it reprints early Mary Tourtel stories.  The British Rupert annuals can be quite expensive for the older ones nowadays.
Flook was by Trog( Wally Fawkes) and there is a Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/FlookByTrpg/
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #961 on: October 23, 2019, 01:00:25 AM »

Aye, Bruintje  Bear.  I have a landscape compilation which I bought in a Dutch comic shop - I'm a big fan of Dutch newspaper strips, or the Belgian reprints if I can't find the originals. Without digging out the B B book, I think it reprints early Mary Tourtel stories.  The British Rupert annuals can be quite expensive for the older ones nowadays.
Flook was by Trog( Wally Fawkes) and there is a Facebook page

https://m.facebook.com/FlookByTrpg/

Lees je wel Nederlands en Vlaams dan?  Speaking of Belgian strips, you should like Suske & Wiske. 
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #962 on: October 23, 2019, 02:17:49 PM »

No, I don't.  I only have about 35 words of Dutch but I can get the gist of some of what I try to read. I'm much better and more comfortable in Italian and French.

It's the quality of some dutch strips that impresses me, particularly Eric de Noorman and the superb art by Hans G. Kresse. I also have a small collection of Kapitein Rob  (Pieter Kuhn) plus some Rikki Visser, both text strips and balloon strips - only reprints, I'm afraid; Piloot Storm (Henk Sprenger) is tasty.  But I am addicted to Beeldromans and have managed to find and buy a selection - not only Dick Bos but De Kat; Tweede Pimpernel; De Moker; Lex Brand; Spot Morton by the excellent Georges Mazure etc. 
It's formats and whether strips are text or balloon that also intrigue me.
Oddly, I don't really get Suske & Wiske, they just aren't as interesting, or funny as Quick & Flupke.
De Rode Ridder?  Now there's an entertaining comic.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2019, 03:38:15 AM »

No, I don't.  I only have about 35 words of Dutch but I can get the gist of some of what I try to read. I'm much better and more comfortable in Italian and French.

It's the quality of some dutch strips that impresses me, particularly Eric de Noorman and the superb art by Hans G. Kresse. I also have a small collection of Kapitein Rob  (Pieter Kuhn) plus some Rikki Visser, both text strips and balloon strips - only reprints, I'm afraid; Piloot Storm (Henk Sprenger) is tasty.  But I am addicted to Beeldromans and have managed to find and buy a selection - not only Dick Bos but De Kat; Tweede Pimpernel; De Moker; Lex Brand; Spot Morton by the excellent Georges Mazure etc. 
It's formats and whether strips are text or balloon that also intrigue me.
Oddly, I don't really get Suske & Wiske, they just aren't as interesting, or funny as Quick & Flupke.
De Rode Ridder?  Now there's an entertaining comic.

We published Kaptein Rob in our Donald Duck Weekblad for some years during the late '60s and '70s. I myself, worked on (and still do) only Disney strips (Donald Duck, Oom Dagobert, Willie Wortel, Gijs Gans, Oma Duck, Kwik, Kwek, & Kwak, De Jonge Woudlopers, Goofy, Broer Konijn, en Joe Carioca).
ip icon Logged

hufflepuffle

message icon
« Reply #964 on: December 19, 2019, 10:25:55 PM »

I was looking for digital comics fills of old Marvel titles and Fawcett titles and I noticted some of the scanners (Novus, Soothsayer and Darkmark) also happened to post on a couple of golden age comics websites. Didn't know all the titles that were PD and golden age available though! It was a happy surprise!  :P
ip icon Logged

up2c

message icon
« Reply #965 on: February 24, 2020, 12:32:05 AM »

Thanks for allowing me access to this site. Truly an amazing collection of knowledge and comic publications. I found this site while searching for an old comic book we had when I was a kid. It was an old
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #966 on: February 24, 2020, 12:58:15 AM »

If your Uncle happened to be Sam J Glantzman, the comic you are looking for is called USS Stevens and is not on this site. You could google either Sam's name or 'USS Stevens' and might find the hardcopy edition on Amazon. I don't know of any other World War 2 south pacific comics that are autobiographical.
There is a lot of Sam's other work on this site though.

Welcome and enjoy!     
ip icon Logged

up2c

message icon
« Reply #967 on: February 24, 2020, 01:12:17 AM »

If your Uncle happened to be Sam J Glantzman, the comic you are looking for is called USS Stevens and is not on this site. You could google either Sam's name or 'USS Stevens' and might find the hardcopy edition on Amazon. I don't know of any other World War 2 south pacific comics that are autobiographical.
There is a lot of Sam's other work on this site though.

Aussie,

Thanks for that. No his name was Louis E. Murphy, he was gunner in a downed B-25C out of Port Moresby.. Rabaul campaign... He was the only survivor of crew of 6 men. Washed up on a beach, rescued by friendly natives, and reunited with Aussie platoon on neighboring island.   
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #968 on: February 24, 2020, 03:10:44 AM »

I believe this may be the comic you're thinking of (War Heroes #3, Dell Comics, 1943). The story of Louis Murphy ( 2 pages) is on our page 65.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=20700
ip icon Logged

up2c

message icon
« Reply #969 on: February 24, 2020, 04:38:23 AM »

Crash,

I can
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #970 on: February 24, 2020, 09:33:36 PM »

Glad to be able to help!
ip icon Logged

tut

message icon
« Reply #971 on: April 05, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »

The car/cycle blog Silodrome had a post about this site, mentioning all the car-related comics.

https://silodrome.com/free-downloadable-racing-hot-rod-comic-books/
ip icon Logged

MattHawes

message icon
« Reply #972 on: April 10, 2020, 11:59:09 PM »

I am pretty certain I found this site through a Google search years ago. I have visited many times in the past, and even promoted it on my business's Facebook page, but only recently registered (or, as I mention in my "greetings" post, I may have registered years ago and forgotten about it). Thanks for accepting me into the forum and the site.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #973 on: April 11, 2020, 12:31:42 AM »

Welcome Matt, You look like a positive smiling fellow! Obviously going to be very knowledgeable about comics and comics history and lore with your background. 
I like your Superman/Spiderman Quarantine Mock-up on the facebook page. That's one way to get the message out to fans.
Please check out the posts, lots of good conversations in the older posts. And please join in and contribute.

Cheers!         
ip icon Logged

lotus_

message icon
« Reply #974 on: May 20, 2020, 01:46:40 AM »

I found this site just using google to search out places to read comics. Really glad I did too!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.