in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How did you find us?

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: How did you find us?  (Read 256289 times)

MWRuger

message icon
Re: How did you find us?
« Reply #975 on: July 21, 2020, 06:26:02 PM »

I discovered this site when I was searching for Space Adventures from Charleton Comics. I'm doing a run of DC comics from the 30's on up as well as some associated titles. Wow! This sit could really help me.

I've been reading comics since the late 60's and enjoy not only comics, but newstrips as well. Terry and the Pirates being a favorite of mine. Read the whole run. Dick Tracy, Little Orphan Annie all of them.

I'm a student of history and read a great deal about historical subjects. Not just political or social history, but history of things too. Music, Comics, Books everything!

I consider myself a polymath in progress,
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #976 on: July 21, 2020, 06:50:50 PM »

Glad you found your way here. Yes, there are some excellent newspaper strips, some we can host, some we can't.  Buck Ryan might be a new one on you.  Very worthwhile.  Go to it.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #977 on: July 22, 2020, 01:04:21 AM »

Welcome! Seems you've come to the right place.
You won't find DC here, since their work is not PD, [In the Public Domain] we do have some very very early work from that publisher, that is PD, but not much. So pre Superman and Batman. But.... you will find plenty of earlier work from DC stalwarts of the Silver Age, Kane, Sekowsky,Toth, Wally Wood, Bob Brown, Joe Kubert, Infantino and Murphy Anderson to name a few. Also much early work from Artists and creators better associated with Marvel, like Kirby, Ditko, Ayres, Heck and Gene Colan.
CB+ has probably the best collection of Charlton comics you are ever likely to find. That's one publisher I myself have only poked a toe into so far!
I'm a student of history and read a great deal about historical subjects. Not just political or social history, but history of things too. Music, Comics, Books everything!

Sounds like a description of me!
I consider myself a polymath in progress

Aren't all polymarphs, by definition,works in progress? 
Anyway, dig in and enjoy! And please join in with the conversations in the threads!

ip icon Logged

Jamesg

message icon
« Reply #978 on: July 24, 2020, 06:27:36 PM »

Just wondering how everyone came to find Golden Age Comic download website or support forum?

Tell us how you found us, give us your story...

Thanks, Serj
   I write occult detective short stories and read a review of a comic Ghost Doctor in Occult Detective magazine that mentioned this  site.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #979 on: July 24, 2020, 11:39:41 PM »

Welcome Jamesg!
Since i try to be helpful when welcoming newcomers, This link will take you to what came up when I did a search on CB+ for 'Occult'
https://comicbookplus.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-9639869078401298%3A2415513160&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Occult&sa=Search&siteurl=comicbookplus.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D13.975&ss=2648j1632516j7
As you will see , there is much on the site to enjoy and learn from.   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #980 on: July 25, 2020, 07:20:46 AM »

Hi JamesG and welcome. There is a self-promotion section in the forum if you want to share one of your stories? They sound intriguing. I write true crime for British magazines and would be interested to read some of your work.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #981 on: July 25, 2020, 01:59:11 PM »

Thanks to that mention in Occult Detective, you found your way here.  Welcome.  Enjoy yourself and please join in.
ip icon Logged

VickyT

message icon
« Reply #982 on: July 25, 2020, 03:54:44 PM »

Hi!
I found comic book plus through openculture a couple of months ago, and have looked through a good number of the comics but haven't delved into the forum until today!

I've (re) taken up bookbinding during lockdown and started to wonder if the covers from some of these comics would look good on my notebooks. So I've picked a few and given it a go! I think (and I've been told that) they look pretty good :)

Has anyone got any favourites or suggestions that they might want to see on a handbound notebook?

I'm thinking (and hoping) that as they're in the public domain I can make some more and possibly even pop them for sale online...of course I'd be crediting comicbookplus.com. I wanted to test the water and see what people outside my family and friends think!!!

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #983 on: July 25, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »

Hi Vicky - and welcome!!

I'm not 'staff' here so I can't comment from their angle but on a personal level, that sounds a brilliant idea. I use notebooks all the time for jotting down ideas for stories and such like (as well as names of books I want to read, movies to be seen, quick sketches and so on - and shopping lists). I would be interested in seeing what you had when it's done. I'm pretty sure there's a section on the forum where you can promote your own stuff - or you can post a link to a blog or something.

ip icon Logged

VickyT

message icon
« Reply #984 on: July 25, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »

Hi Andrew999 (et al who might read this!)

Thank you so much for the vote of confidence... Like I said, my friends and family have loved the idea but it means a lot to have support from someone unrelated!

I tried to pop a pic of what I've made so far, but it was too big to attach... I don't have anything up online yet but I hope to soon!

It does mean a lot to have outside support especially from the comicbookplus community and I'll definitely check out the self promotion area!!

Thanks again, you've made my night!! :)

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #985 on: July 26, 2020, 01:14:44 AM »

Hi Vicky! Welcome. I'm not staff either, just an omnipresent nuisance! Since everything here is PD, [In the public Domain] I can't see that there would be a problem doing what you are doing. There are others who have made compilations of work displayed here and made a living out of them. One Craig Yoe is a prime example. And good luck to him.
Can you tell us what kinds of illustrations you particularly look for? That might help us make recommendations.
If you credit CB+ that would be more than many people do, so thank you!
Nice to see someone take up bookbinding! If its known that you do that,you should get work, because there are plenty of us that have work that needs rebinding.
Sounds like you are surviving lockdown very creatively!
If you don't want to stick with covers, you might take a look at the Woman Comic Book Artists thread.
https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=17587.0
Electricmaestro has been compiling an encyclopedic reference there.
The images posted are not 100% but the sources are listed, so using the search Function at the top of the page you can go right to the originals.
I'd very much like to see your work!
I second the vote of confidence!   

ip icon Logged

VickyT

message icon
« Reply #986 on: July 31, 2020, 03:55:45 PM »

Thanks Australian Panther !

It's been so great to have support from here :)

At the moment I've picked 10 images to work from that vary from horror and sci-fi to 1920's burlesque with some kitsch detectives as well. I've made a few already but I'm changing the techniques as I go to see what works best, so I'm not popping anything I've made up for sale yet... but it won't be long!

Thanks for the tip on the Women Comic Book Artists thread too, I'd love to do a range by women artists! I've just set up a website, stowbound.com (the stow is taken from Walthamstow, where I live in London) it's just a blog for the moment but I have aspirations to grow it into a fully fledged business. I'll be posting all my work so far (maybe even the ones I'm not so happy with) so you can keep an eye on me if you like :)

Thanks again!!
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #987 on: July 31, 2020, 04:22:52 PM »

Hi Vicky.  Apologies, I missed your posts - aging brain and specs!
A belated welcome to CB+.  Your project sounds intriguing.  Good luck.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #988 on: July 31, 2020, 04:25:39 PM »

I've tagged the blog - so I'm with you for the ride (along with many others I'm sure)!

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #989 on: August 01, 2020, 04:24:46 AM »

Hi Vicky,

I couldn't find your blog.

'www.snowbound.com brings up a US tech site, so there must be a little more to the address.
When you are ready, can you post the whole address here?

Thanking you!

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #990 on: August 01, 2020, 09:39:59 AM »

Panther, that address is sTowbound rather than sNowbound. From the landing page click on the "blog" tab.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #991 on: August 01, 2020, 12:09:23 PM »

Oops!  Found it!

https://stowbound.com/blog/

Some nice choices there!

It occurs to me, Vicky, that you might be interested in this blog by fellow CB+ member 'Ghostman'
The Vintage Inkwell academy
https://tvia.ingenuityserials.com/

ip icon Logged

VickyT

message icon
« Reply #992 on: August 02, 2020, 07:20:42 PM »

Thanks guys!!

Glad you found it in the end Australian Panther!!! Checking out The Vintage Inkwell Academy now!!!
ip icon Logged

Mind Cloud

message icon
« Reply #993 on: September 23, 2020, 10:45:36 PM »

It started with wondering why Mickey Mouse is not in the public domain and the hypocrisy of it all. Then I was curious what was actually in the public domain and my journey began. So in short, the Mouse brought me here.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #994 on: September 23, 2020, 11:30:03 PM »

in short, the Mouse brought me here
and you will find here many of His brethren.
On CB+ live Atomic Mouse, Marmaduke Mouse, Space Mouse and Merry  Mouse, but not Mighty Mouse who like Mickey is not PD.
Welcome Mindcloud and now you are here, stay and enjoy yourself.
If you go through the threads in the Comics Talk and Comics not allowed sections in the Forum section, you will find quite a bit of information on what is PD and what is not and why.

The Mouse brought you here? The Mouse knows what he is doing!       
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #995 on: September 24, 2020, 05:04:57 PM »

Hello Mind Cloud and welcome to CB+.  Lots to discover and read so go to it.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #996 on: September 24, 2020, 10:40:02 PM »

Thanks Australian Panther !

It's been so great to have support from here :)

At the moment I've picked 10 images to work from that vary from horror and sci-fi to 1920's burlesque with some kitsch detectives as well. I've made a few already but I'm changing the techniques as I go to see what works best, so I'm not popping anything I've made up for sale yet... but it won't be long!

Thanks for the tip on the Women Comic Book Artists thread too, I'd love to do a range by women artists! I've just set up a website, stowbound.com (the stow is taken from Walthamstow, where I live in London) it's just a blog for the moment but I have aspirations to grow it into a fully fledged business. I'll be posting all my work so far (maybe even the ones I'm not so happy with) so you can keep an eye on me if you like :)

Thanks again!!

Hi Vicky,
Welcome to Comic Book Plus!  I took a look at your website, and the notebooks you placed on Etsy.  They all look wonderfully good!  I think you will do well.  There are many Science Fiction, Occult, and Romance comic book covers on this website drawn by women which would make smashing covers for Golden Age comic book fans who also use blank notebooks.  As stated above, you should take a look at our "Women Comic Book Artists" thread, at this address:  https://comicbookplus.com/forum/index.php?topic=17587.0

It has a list of their names, and samples of some of their work.

I think you will enjoy your search, as you are an historic art-lover.

Robb
ip icon Logged

abstractdream

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: abstractdream
message icon
« Reply #997 on: October 15, 2020, 09:05:09 PM »

Doing a Google search for (Fiction House's) Planet Comics online gave this site as a result. I use readcomiconline, which is good for the bronze and silver age stuff, but their older issues are way more limited than here. So far, loving this site.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #998 on: October 15, 2020, 11:21:25 PM »

Welcome AbstractDream. You've come to the right place.
What in particular about Planet Comics interests you?   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #999 on: October 16, 2020, 10:41:58 AM »

Welcome abstractdeream - join the fun!
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.