in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

How did you find us?

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

topic icon Author Topic: How did you find us?  (Read 256400 times)

DOC

• VIP
message icon
Re: How did you find us?
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2009, 04:43:52 PM »

Hi, My name is DOC Boucher, I've been a collector of comics since the early-mid 60's. A friend told of this site afterv I had told him of the Golden Age DVDs I got on eBay so yes I am here to download and support the site and giving my DVD's to a friend who has no internet access. I do have a few GA comics. I have a Blue Bolt vol1 #9 which was the last Simon and Kirby issue, unfortunately I can't read it as it would turn to dust.
I run a group called INTER-FAN PRODUCTIONS INK, an art group that started in the 70's. I also use the site for Fandom History and Fanzine info.

Welcome, Doc.
I bought my first comic around 1966, so you've been at it longer than I.

I have a copy of Blue Bolt V1:9, too. It's a pretty cool book. I'll tell you what I do with brittle comics:
I put each page into a clear "sheet protector" (I buy the Arvey light-weight ones at Office Max) and then put them all into a cheap three-ring folder with a cover sleeve to hold a color scan of the cover. Voila! A comic that I can read and enjoy without chips covering my lap every time.

Here's an example:

Best of luck with preserving your copy. Not much point in having it if you can't enjoy it.

Peace, Jim (|:{>

Thanks all,
Yeah I've already downloaded some books already.
Thanks for the tip Jim, but at this point if I even look at it It would become dust. But knowing I have it is enough, I got it at a swapmeet in the early 70's. I actually had a 2nd one but had to sell as I need the cash.
Anyone here collect fanzines? Am looking for a copy of (I think) the Golden Age Collector, which had a strip by John Adkins Richardson called "Little Mnemo in Slumberland. He was the son of Little Nemo only his slumberland was populated by superheroes (obscure ones) and fought the Claw. Even Captain Marvel was in it as Shazam hadn't come out yet.
ip icon Logged

Efinder

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Efinder
message icon
« Reply #176 on: January 10, 2009, 12:53:32 PM »

I came the long LONG way around through serendipity!

I downloaded a demo for a game on Nintendo DS and liked it so much I looked it up online, stumbled across people posting replies about other DS programs and followed one to something about being able to convert files to watch movies on your DS, and someone there mentioned they used a comic reader program to read old comic scans on their DS and linked to this site! 

I grew up reading my fathers 1940s-1950s comic books so this is like a reunion with friends for me!  It might sound strange but reading the scanned pages triggers memories of how they smelled when I read them the first time around, that golden mellow aged paper seems almost real as I read here.  Thank you for letting me enjoy this again!  ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2009, 01:57:19 PM »

Welcome to the site we are glad that you found us. If your father still has any of those books maybe he will let you borrow them to scan ;D
ip icon Logged

Efinder

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Efinder
message icon
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2009, 02:45:55 PM »

Sadly, moving around between wildly different climates really deteriorated his collection, which wasn't protected in any way other than being stored in cardboard apple boxes.  The last time I actually got to see and handle his collection was in the early 90s and it was difficult to hold or turn pages without an alarming amount of crumbling so it may not exist in a usable/readable form anymore.  :'(  If we get a chance to visit them this year I'll definitely peek up in the attic and see if it looks like there's any hope though!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #179 on: January 10, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »

Which means all the more reason to scan. These books need preserving. We got some editors here could can do amazing things. I have a couple of Amazing Man comics that fortunately had big borders because they have crumbled away but I got the stories scanned. If you need help there are those here willing to help scan them in for posterity. We can not post Marvel, DC, or Street and Smith and a few others but we could scan them for archive purposes so that they do not disappear forever.
ip icon Logged

JOP PIOBB

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: JOP PIOBB
message icon
« Reply #180 on: January 15, 2009, 02:56:27 AM »

I MEET THIS PAGE NAVIGATING WITH AN SPANISH BLOG WHOSE THEME IS SPANISH COMICS FROM MEXICO. ;D
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #181 on: January 15, 2009, 03:14:12 AM »

Welcome Jop. We do not have any Spanish comics here but lots of old comics. Hope you enjoy.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #182 on: January 15, 2009, 03:28:40 AM »

I MEET THIS PAGE NAVIGATING WITH AN SPANISH BLOG WHOSE THEME IS SPANISH COMICS FROM MEXICO. ;D

Welcome, Jop,
Are you from Spain or Mexico or somewhere else?

Hope you can find something to interest you here.

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #183 on: January 15, 2009, 05:47:24 AM »

I was searching for info on Jon Mayes (cover artist for Famous Funnies #1)... couldn't find anything on Mayes  but did find your site. 
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #184 on: January 15, 2009, 06:34:20 AM »

I was searching for info on Jon Mayes (cover artist for Famous Funnies #1)... couldn't find anything on Mayes  but did find your site. 

My GUESS is that you'll never find anything about Jon Mayes, DL. That cover has always looked to me like it was done by someone who probably worked for the printing company and copied/traced the characters because they needed a cover for the newfangled product. My best suggestion is to try the Social Security Death Index - though who knows how many Jon Mayes you're likely to find. All we can ever know for "certain" is that he was in NYC in 1934. Maybe he stayed there.

Good luck with your quest.

ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2009, 01:56:31 AM »

My GUESS is that you'll never find anything about Jon Mayes, DL. That cover has always looked to me like it was done by someone who probably worked for the printing company and copied/traced the characters because they needed a cover for the newfangled product. My best suggestion is to try the Social Security Death Index - though who knows how many Jon Mayes you're likely to find. All we can ever know for "certain" is that he was in NYC in 1934. Maybe he stayed there.

Good luck with your quest.

Strange, I was thinking along the same lines... that maybe it was done either by an illustrator brought in from an outside advertising agency or someone within the company who had some sort of art background, but wasn't a noted cartoonist.   Although the characters might be traced I think the cover layout is well thought out with the elements purposefully placed, so whoever Jon Mayes was I think he did have some sense of design.  Thanks for the suggestion, I hadn't thought of using the death index... I'll let you know if I ever find anything.  :)

ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2009, 03:39:34 AM »

Good luck with your search, DL.
While the cover design obviously has stood the test of time, the line work is fairly rudimentary and that's what makes me suggest that JM wasn't a professional artist. I hope you can find SOMETHING.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Morrismoss

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #187 on: January 30, 2009, 01:54:24 AM »

I was searching info about "Exciting Comics"
google it
found you.
BANG!

M-

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #188 on: January 30, 2009, 02:31:31 AM »

Well it is Exciting to have you with us. We have a lot of issues for your enjoyment.
ip icon Logged

Morrismoss

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #189 on: February 01, 2009, 08:51:37 PM »

yep
and I really happy:)

M-
ip icon Logged

bobjav

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bobjav
message icon
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2009, 02:40:33 AM »

I have been a member sereral years now, but would not like my first post to be a rant.  The reason I am never on is that I can only log into the messageboard, I cannot get at the comics.

bobjav
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2009, 02:52:07 AM »

bob, You mean you have never been to the download site?

I have been a member sereral years now, but would not like my first post to be a rant.  The reason I am never on is that I can only log into the messageboard, I cannot get at the comics.

bobjav
ip icon Logged

bobjav

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #192 on: February 07, 2009, 02:57:20 AM »

A couple of years ago, before the crash.  Once since, but could not download--over the limit message--can not even get in now.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #193 on: February 07, 2009, 03:02:21 AM »

Hang on and YOC or someone will be along to help get it all straightened out.
You'll have some catching up to do. ;D

A couple of years ago, before the crash.  Once since, but could not download--over the limit message--can not even get in now.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #194 on: February 07, 2009, 03:05:29 AM »

Bob, if you can log in HERE you should be able to log in on the download site.
Use the EXACT same name and PW.

Sometimes clearing your cookies and trying will help.

I'll pass along your name and a message to Serj.  I'm not privy to how these things work behind the scenes.  Sorry, that's the best I can do for now.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

bobjav

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #195 on: February 07, 2009, 03:08:03 AM »

I know thats whats frustrating, it should be the same.  Thanks for caring
bobjav
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #196 on: February 07, 2009, 03:09:12 AM »

I've sent Serj and Zog messages.  They might be able to help but I have no idea how long it might take.

Good luck,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #197 on: February 07, 2009, 04:03:31 AM »

Bob,
Have you tried the advice in the FAQ under question 2?
http://tinyurl.com/yvjorh
ip icon Logged

bobjav

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #198 on: February 07, 2009, 04:07:38 AM »

Yeah, it's not a typo...I even changed my login via message board, logged in message board fine...same dumb problem.

bobjav
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #199 on: February 07, 2009, 04:17:48 AM »

Well, now that the problem is known it'll just be a matter of time before it is remedied.
Sorry for the snag. Must be rough standing around listening to the prattle about the books and no way to sample them.
Make sure to check back tomorrow and stay plugged in as you may be needed to provide some information to help the process.

Cheers and welcome back.

Yeah, it's not a typo...I even changed my login via message board, logged in message board fine...same dumb problem.

bobjav
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 44

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.