in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Kirby Publishing Company

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Kirby Publishing Company  (Read 17281 times)

darkmark

• VIP
message icon
Re: Kirby Publishing Company
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2009, 01:57:59 AM »

Actually, both his and my posts were to the tune of the Green Acres theme song.  But if you wish, from Cerebus:

MIGHT FOR RIGHT!
RIGHT FOR MIGHT!
MIGHT FOR MIGHT!
FIGHT!  FIGHT!  FIGHT!

;-)
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 09:50:23 AM »

Green Acres ? Your showing you age now guys, don't know about your part of the world but this show has'nt been seen on UKTV for about FORTY YEARS  at least to the best of knowledge.

Got to see it once again three or four years back at a pals home when he pulled out a Video/DVD of it, it was like seeing a couple of old friends after a VERY Looong time !

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2009, 11:46:08 AM »

Yes I was around for the original run. It still run here om TV Land
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2009, 01:33:08 PM »

:o
Sorry DM. 
I should have caught that Green Acres.
I just saw the first episode a week or two back.

My bad.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

kozmo

message icon
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »

The first three seasons of Green Acres are available on fairly cheap DVD sets (no word on if they'll finish the run) at least here in the US.  I can't recommend this series enough. People think they remember this show, but they really only remember parts, and even then tend to get it mixed up with the other rural CBS shows of the day.  This is a surreal, post-modernistic masterpiece. The fact that it was popular is really quite amazing. The fact that it was popular during such a traditional time for television is downright mind-blowing.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2009, 10:20:33 AM »

The region one/region two thing is a pain !

Not owning a multi-region DVD player I have to pass up a lot of good U.S. only material.

The first season of 'Get Smart' was recently released here, no doubt to tie in with the movie, so that at least was a blessing.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2009, 11:44:30 AM »

Nigel unless you have a really old computer it should play multi region DVD's or you can download a program that will allow it. Green Acres and Get Smart were the two over the top humor shows that worked. I believe it is the most difficult to make it right to start with and then to sustain it for several years is the amazing feat. Green Acres was a spin-off of Petticoat Junction which had crossovers and PJ even had occasional crossovers with The Beverly Hillbillies. PJ was also long lived but much more traditional comedy than GA. When I watch crap like Dumb and Dumber which is over the top humor that is just plain dumb I can really appreciate GA and GS. I have done several little theater plays. Over acting is easy to do and hard not to do. Humor is the hardest acting to do. Over the top humor that is not overacting is a phenomonal accomplishment. Jim Carry should have taken lessons from Don Adams.
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 07:12:21 PM »

Yep.  Experiment with something cheap, first, Nigel (like, grab a copy of Charade on Region 1 DVD), but software should work.  I have a small handful of Region 2+ shows that I need to use on the PC because the DVD player won't have any of it.

It wouldn't surprise me if Windows Media Player throws a hissy fit, but something like VLC will certainly do the trick, and does a good enough job with other formats that it's worth having, anyway.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.