in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,470 books
 New: 224 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Just Thinkin'

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Just Thinkin'  (Read 3414 times)

rez

• Past Member
message icon
Just Thinkin'
« on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:26 AM »

If Shaggy Man's rocket went faster than light and goes back in time, I wonder if he could whoop on the old Goldenage Flash?
ip icon Logged

jfglade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jfglade
message icon
Re: Just Thinkin'
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 01:55:37 AM »

I think that would have more to do with editorial fiat than with physics.

Did the Shaggy Man survive the latest Crisis, or is he someone I wouldn't recognize now?
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 04:36:16 AM »

More importantly would he be 'shaggy' or clean cut?
;)
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 04:13:55 PM »

I think that would have more to do with editorial fiat than with physics.

Did the Shaggy Man survive the latest Crisis, or is he someone I wouldn't recognize now?

"Despite being freed again, Shaggy Man I was destroyed.Crisis on Infinite Earths #10 (January 1986).

"Shaggy Man I's inert body is eventually recovered by General Wade Eiling and his Ultramarine Corps.JLA #24 (December 1998). General Eiling, who has been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, transplants his mind into the Shaggy Man's body, shaves off the Shaggy Man's hair and calls himself The General."

Oh well, at least 'Crisis on Ifinite Earths' was an enjoyable read.

But I still like seeing Kypto talking to Superboy. :o
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:17:16 PM »

Please let me draw attention to the fact that DC allowed Grant Morrison to write an entire, multi-issue JLA story where the entire goal going in was to shave the Shaggy Man.  He's even stated that he wanted to write JLA for that specific purpose.  When people suggest that editors are at fault for restricting the writers, this is the counterexample I point to.

I won't bother to point out the conceptual flaw in transplanting one's brain into another body because of a brain tumor...
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 06:31:39 PM »

I won't bother to point out the conceptual flaw in transplanting one's brain into another body because of a brain tumor...

Not the brain, John, just the "mind". TOTALLY different thing, don't you know?  ;)

Hey, they're just comic books!

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »

Now, if I can just figure out which earth this was suppose to take place in...
guess it might be time to reread the Crisis series again.

be hup 2, 3, 4...
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 06:38:44 PM »

guess it might be time to reread the Crisis series again.
be hup 2, 3, 4...

Gad, sir! You're a braver man than I.
(|:{>
ip icon Logged

jfglade

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: jfglade
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 06:46:46 PM »

I didn't read JLA #24, or many other issues of that title, and I'm glad I missed it. I do not think highly of Morrison.

My last memory of the Shaggy Man was him being added to the body count of "expendable" villains during the original Crisis series, but I assumed for that rather obscure character to figure in a question here (even a question that isn't exactly serious), he must have reappeared at some point and, unfortunately, it seems he fell prey to Morrison. He deserved better, I'm sure.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 05:26:44 PM »

He deserved better, I'm sure.

I dunno. As I understand it it Shaggy was one badazz character who deserved hell as a home.
I can remember buying that old silverage JLA issue off the stands and the storyline enveloped me. The Shaggy Man! What a brute! And for all eternity!

Sounds like it's time to dig that one up.

be Up, Up, and Awaaaay!!!
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 06:57:22 PM »

Digging up books to refresh my memory is why I love scans. I have a nearly complete SA JLA run but digging up individual books would be a hassle. Scans can be accessed easily. Nothing like the feel of picking up the actual copy though. That is why I will probably not sell my SA collection even though I have scans of most and sometimes Showcase editions also. They are just not the same.
ip icon Logged

rez

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 03:48:24 AM »

Digging up books to refresh my memory is why I love scans. I have a nearly complete SA JLA run but digging up individual books would be a hassle. Scans can be accessed easily. Nothing like the feel of picking up the actual copy though. That is why I will probably not sell my SA collection even though I have scans of most and sometimes Showcase editions also. They are just not the same.

Yes, that's one reason I'll sometimes buy good/vg copies just for the reading where I don't have to be concerned with the handling of a book.

If I want to kick back on the couch and turn the pages under while reading I can do it just like the old days.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.