in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comic Book Artists who came from Animation & Vice Versa

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

topic icon Author Topic: Comic Book Artists who came from Animation & Vice Versa  (Read 11426 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Comic Book Artists who came from Animation & Vice Versa
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2020, 05:15:31 AM »

Even at Disney it took a while for the stricter attitude to become the norm. I'm thinking of fart jokes using a backfiring car and a cartoon ending where Cupid draws the curtains on a loving couple, then turns his naked butt to the camera. The butt then metamorphoses into a heart.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2020, 07:52:09 AM »

Sam Singer:

Singer had a really old style, reminiscent of the 1930s.  I really like his Monkeyshines covers, especially with all the bright colours.

Singer had a bulbous, yet energetic sort of style. He liked to draw animals with big snouts or chubby cheeks, and rarely drew short characters unless they were children, yet that didn?t seem to hinder the flexibility of how his characters moved at all.

Of all the Sangor Studio artists I?ve seen, the one I felt had the most old-school feeling was probably Tony Loeb. I've understood that Sangor Studio was largely made up of artists that had worked at Fleischer Studios, and Loeb may have been the artist that embraced the Fleischer a style the most, drawing characters as if they were in the early 1930?s as opposed to the mid-1940s. 

Most of Sangor's early New York studio crew came from Fleischer's studio.  But, in early 1942, When Jim Davis, who had come to New York a year before, to work for Sangor during the Disney strike, returned to Hollywood to set up Sangor's West Coast studio, many ex-Disney, MGM, and Warner Brothers animators were hired.  But, in addition to Davis, Jack Bradbury, and Irv Spector had worked at Sangor East, before returning to California when Davis started Sangor West.  In California, Preston Blair, Ken Hultgren, Ken Champin, Lynn, Hubie, and Bob Karp, Don R. Christensen, Bob Wickersham, etc. all signed on with Sangor.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 10:37:52 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 02:16:53 AM »

John Jordan may have been an animator by 1953, because one newspaper mentioned him working on animation:

John Jordan, one of the Major
League cartoonists in the nation,
will now Illustrate the adventures
of Don Winslow. Jordan has an
enviable art career which includes
several years as editorial cartoon
ist on the New York Journal and
art director for one of the coun
trys largest comic book compan
ies. Highlighting his career re
cently, he was signed by Holly
wood to draw several popular ani
mated motion pictures.
Bringing his exceptional back
ground to newspapers, Jordan's
authentic, dear, modern art adds
lustre to the new Don Winslow all
service comic strip. - https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83016244/1953-07-01/ed-1/seq-2/
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2021, 04:44:20 AM »

Roscoe from Feature Comics #101 (August 1946, Quality Comics). Not sure who drew it, though I?m inclined to say it was an animator.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 08:14:46 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2021, 11:46:13 AM »

Roscoe from Feature Comics #101 (August 1946, Quality Comics. Not sure who drew it, though I?m inclined to say it was an animator.

Yes, he was an animator, who had worked for Fleischer and Famous Studios, Ben Solomon.  He worked on Popeye and Gullivers Travels at Fleischer, and Popeye, under Jim Tyer for Famous Studios.  He worked on several different comic book series for Quality, and had worked for Hillman on Punch and Judy, and worked earlier for Bailey as a free lancer.  He and Woody Gelman had worked together at those 2 animation studios, and after the strike, they formed their own cartoon studio, Solomon-Gelman Cartoon Studio.  They later drew all the comic artwork for Topps Sports Cards, including Bazooka Joe.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 09:09:05 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2021, 11:24:21 PM »

Roscoe from Feature Comics #101 (August 1946, Quality Comics. Not sure who drew it, though I?m inclined to say it was an animator.

Yes, he was an animator, who had worked for Fleischer and Famous Studios, Ben Solomon.  He worked on Popeye and Gullivers Travels at Fleischer, and Popeye, under Jim Tyer for famous Studios.  He worked on several different comic book series for Quality, and had worked for Hillman on Punch and Judy, and worked earlier for Bailey as a free lancer.  He and Woody Gelman had worked together at those 2 animation studios, and after the strike, they formed their own cartoon studio, Solomon-Gelman Cartoon Studio.  They later drew all the comic artwork for Topps Sports Cards, including Bazooka Joe.

Thanks!
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2021, 12:45:23 AM »

Some possible animators with partial names from some of the earlier Sangor material that I just couldn?t identify. I think I mentioned all of these before, but might as well mention them all here:

Naish (Coo Coo Comics #5, May 1943):

Smith (Giggle Comics #3, December 1943):

Loughlin (Giggle Comics #8, May 1944):

Big Shorty (Coo Coo Comics #13, September 1944):

JFL, possibly Jim Logan (Goofy Comics #15, August 1946):

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2021, 05:45:38 AM »

Some possible animators with partial names from some of the earlier Sangor material that I just couldn?t identify. I think I mentioned all of these before, but might as well mention them all here:

Naish (Coo Coo Comics #5, May 1943):

Smith (Giggle Comics #3, December 1943):

Loughlin (Giggle Comics #8, May 1944):

Big Shorty (Coo Coo Comics #13, September 1944):

JFL, possibly Jim Logan (Goofy Comics #15, August 1946):

1) There was a Tom O'Loughlin, who worked for Disney, WB animation, Hanna-Barbera and DePatie-Freleng, among others.  I'm pretty sure he went by Tom Loughlin while with Sangor.  But, the name is written without the "H", as Louglin on Sangor's records. 

Personally, I'd go with Tom O'Loughlin of Disney and WB, probably recruited to Sangor by Jim Davis, as were most of the West Coast artists who worked for Sangor.  And the missing H was just a typo.

2) Yes, Logan must have been Jim Logan.  HE was the only artist named Logan with Sangor. 

3) I have seen reference to Naish, but never seen a first name attached. 

4) "Smith" was E.F. Smith,  whose full name was Edward Frank Smith, who worked for The Fleischers from 1934-1942.  He worked on their 1938-39 feature, Gulliver's Travels.  He went by the name, Frank Smith, after leaving Sangor Studio, where he worked from 1943-44.  After more comic book work in the mid and possibly late 1940s (maybe for another of the NY studios ....Bailey's, Jason, Ferstadt, Fago or Cartoon Art?) he returned to animation in 1950, working for UPA on Gerald McBoingBoing, Mr. Magoo, and other Film shorts and TV series, then, after that, he worked for more than 10 years on most of the Peanuts TV specials and TV Films.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:44:35 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2021, 06:43:57 PM »

1. Thanks. I heard it suggested that the Loughlin is Fiction House artist Edwin Laughlin using a slightly different last name, but didn?t associate with animation as far as I know. It referring to Tom O?Loughlin seems like the more realistic outcome.

2. I was unsure, because I tried looking up Jim Logan, but his middle name was apparently ?Joseph? in constraint to the ?JFL.?:

https://billiongraves.com/grave/James-Joseph-Logan/1830395

3. I couldn?t narrow it down, because I kept getting ?J. Carrol Naish? whom I haven?t seen noted as an animation-styled artist.

4. There was separately credited Edward Smith and Frank Smith for Gulliver?s Travels. Are they just different credits for the same person?:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031397/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 07:39:29 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2021, 07:15:50 PM »

I would really like to know how you came up with J. Carrol Naish, noted actor, in searching for animators.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 07:38:13 PM »

I would really like to know how you came up with J. Carrol Naish, noted actor, in searching for animators.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2021, 07:49:48 PM »

Could the mysterious Naish (of no first name) be a woman -- Gladys Naish, J. Carrol's wife???
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2021, 05:10:54 AM »

1. Thanks. I heard it suggested that the Loughlin is Fiction House artist Edwin Laughlin using a slightly different last name, but didn?t associate with animation as far as I know. It referring to Tom O?Loughlin seems like the more realistic outcome.

2. I was unsure, because I tried looking up Jim Logan, but his middle name was apparently ?Joseph? in constraint to the ?JFL.?:

https://billiongraves.com/grave/James-Joseph-Logan/1830395

3. I couldn?t narrow it down, because I kept getting ?J. Carrol Naish? whom I haven?t seen noted as an animation-styled artist.

4. There was separately credited Edward Smith and Frank Smith for Gulliver?s Travels. Are they just different credits for the same person?:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031397/fullcredits/?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm

3) Smith was the most common surname in USA during the 1930s through the 1950s.  Only 2 artists working on Gulliver's Travels.  What are the odds that those 2 men had EXACTLY the SAME 2 names as Edward Frank Smith had as he first 2 names, BOTH of which he used as his FIRST name, during substantial parts of his career?  Pretty unlikely, ehh?  It is more likely that the film record keepers (paymaster clerk) made an error, which happened frequently in those days (as it does today).  However, that doesn't guarantee that it was just a coincidence, and there WERE 2 different animators one each of whom had one of Edward Frank's first 2 names.  Stranger things have happened.

4) It is EXTREMELY unlikely that J. Carrol Naish, the highly acclaimed, busy, heavy-scheduled actor, who had started acting in feature films in the 1920s, was supplementing his income by drawing comic books in the 1940s, while he was also working on 3-4 films per year (or more).
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2021, 06:05:31 AM »

Other comic artists said to have been animators:

Lee Ames

Charles Payne

Phil Bard

Mike Roy

Charles Biro

George Gordon

Mike Arens

George Marcoux

Joe Certa

Orestes Calpini

Roger Armstrong

Pete Alvarado

Paul Sommer

Irv Spence

Rod Scribner

Milt Gross

H. C. Ellison

Chase Craig

Fred Abranz

Walt Scott

Win Smith

Julius Svendsen
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:15:59 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2021, 09:58:42 AM »

Bizarrely, I've just been working my way through the New Adventures of Charlie Chan - most of them available on YouTube with Naish in the lead role - they are surprisingly good. Oddly, after the first five episodes, the series was shot in London.

What a multi-talented guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Carrol_Naish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJjsYxYV0tU&list=PLvhDQrzlDlRNt6BxnqxPL_kYgLfY1O5yJ
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2021, 11:22:58 AM »

Bizarrely, I've just been working my way through the New Adventures of Charlie Chan - most of them available on YouTube with Naish in the lead role

Crash, that's called serendipity.
Serendipity is an unplanned fortunate discovery.

Thanks for the link, i will watch some tonight . 

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2021, 01:27:45 PM »

https://alberto-s-pages.webnode.it/animators-until-1970/t-u/

SMITH, Edward F. (Ed)
Animator: DISNEY c33/39-41 (Silly Symphony 33-34 [The Night Before Christmas 33, Funny Little Bunnies 34]); FLEISCHER c39 (Gulliver?s Travels 39); STORYBOARD, INC./HUBLEY 50s-60s (Tender Game 58, Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass Double Feature 66); INK TANK 77- -90s (No Room at the Inn 78, TV commercials [MTV 89]); NEWHALL-YOHE c79-80 (Drawing Power 80-81)

SMITH, Francis Charles (Frank) (6 Mar 1928-Feb 1986)
Animator: HARMAN-ISING c36-38 (Silly Symphony 38 [Merbabies ? for DISNEY]); FLEISCHER c38-39 (Gulliver?s Travels 39); LANTZ c40-43/46-49 (Woody Woodpecker, Andy Panda); UPA c50-57 (Gerald McBoing Boing 51-56 [Gerald McBoing-Boing 50, Gerald McBoing-Boing?s Symphony 53, How Now Boing Boing 54, Gerald McBoing-Boing on Planet Moo 56], Mr. Magoo 51/57 [Barefaced Flatfoot 51, Magoo?s Masquerade 57, Magoo?s Private War 57], Jolly Frolics 51-52 [Georgie and the Dragon 51, The Wonder Gloves 51, The Oompahs 52, Madeline 52], Little Boy with a Big Horn 53, Christopher Crumpet 53/55 [Christopher Crumpet 53, Christopher Crumpet?s Playmate 55], Ballet-Oop 54, Fudget?s Budget 54, The Jaywalker 56); SAUL BASS c58-62 (It?s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World 63 [animated head titles]); PLAYHOUSE PICTURES c63-64 (TV Commercials [Guinness Clock, Gibbs, Murphy Richards, The New Morris]); MELENDEZ c65-73 (A Charlie Brown Christmas 65, Charlie Brown All Stars! 66, It?s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown 66, He?s Your Dog Charlie Brown 68, It Was a Short Summer Charlie Brown 69, A Boy Named Charlie Brown 69, Play It Again Charlie Brown 71, Snoopy Come Home 72, You?re Not Elected Charlie Brown 72, It?s a Mystery Charlie Brown 74)

NOTE: DISNEY Overseas Comic Book Program 72-76 (Donald Duck); DISNEY newspaper strip artist 73-86 (Donald Duck)

Maggiori informazioni https://alberto-s-pages.webnode.it/animators-until-1970/t-u/

Alberto Beccatini may have made a mistake with his credits for SMITH, Francis Charles (Frank).
If Mr. Smith was indeed born in 1928, it would be highly unlikely that he had animation credits as early as 1936. He would have been only 8 years old!!!
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Smith_(animator)

Frank Smith (animator)

Frank A. Smith (August 31, 1911 ? February 23, 1975) was an American cartoon animator and film director. He was the father of actor and film director Charles Martin Smith, and the brother of animator/director Paul J. Smith and animator Hank Smith.
Biography

Born in Gladstone, Michigan, Smith left home in his teens with the dream of working in films. Not having any money, he made his way across country to Hollywood by hitching rides illegally on freight trains. After some time of living as a hobo, he finally reached Hollywood in 1930.

Smith eventually was hired on as an animator at the Fleischer Studios in the late 1930s. He worked on several feature films with that studio, including Gulliver's Travels (1939) and various short films including Popeye cartoons and Betty Boop. He then joined UPA studios, working alongside Robert Cannon, John Hubley and others. His films at UPA included the Oscar-winning Gerald McBoing-Boing (1951).

For three years Smith directed and produced films in Paris, France, for Cineaste Productions, winning many awards. His work in the 1960s included commercials and short films for Playhouse Pictures, followed by a long association with director/producer Bill Melendez, animating many of the Peanuts television specials including A Charlie Brown Christmas, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown and the feature films A Boy Named Charlie Brown and Snoopy Come Home.

External links
Frank Smith on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0808225/
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2021, 07:13:49 PM »

Thanks for the link mopee. Didnt know that Witmer Williams, an artist Ive grown to appreciate after seeing his Quality Comics work, was a Disney animator from the late 1930s to 1942.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2021, 07:54:12 AM »

Just stumbled across this which I thought might be of interest to readers of this thread - forgive me if it's already been mentioned:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52580366-wild-minds

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »

What's going on in that first Monkeyshines cover? The kid (apparently smitten with the teacher) seems to be giving her a coconut with a winking face on it. The other kids are laughing at him but the teacher seems charmed. Or jjust amused? The kid is turned away with his eyes closed (because he's bashful?) but he's also licking his lips as if thinking of something tasty, like maybe the other apples. I am baffled.

Singer did that with Mayor Monk from America?s Funniest Comics as well. Not sure why, but he liked to draw monkey in an especially bulbous manner, sometimes with their tongue sticking out less out of perversion and more out of looking dopey. I suppose monkeys are a great way to show funny weirdness in general as far as funny animal art went.

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2021, 10:47:17 AM »

Anyways, was looking at comparison of Ben Solomon?s signed art to a lot of the non-Ernie Hart, unsigned funny animal art from Quality Comics, and while maybe I?d have to compare more, I?ve been starting to suspect that quite a bit of the art had been drawn by animator William Pattengill.

Pattengill?s signed art from Ha Ha Comics #2 (November 1943):

The unsigned art from Crack Comics #37 (Spring 1945), featuring a similarly drawn native and a similar design philosophy of the bears:

It especially stuck out since the previous issue featured a dog character which seemed similar to other dog characters in some 1946 funny animal art, in addition to Roscoe:

The dog character from Crack Comics #36:

Mickey the Moocher:

Sad Sam Skunk:

Rollo Raccoon:

Giddy Goose:

The last one in particular leads me to think whichever artist drew this also drew for EC, in addition to being quite prolific, because the goat character and the general design of hair seems similar to the goat character and hair on the fawn from Animal Fables #1 (July 1946):

« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 11:25:53 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2021, 11:14:41 PM »

Anyways, was looking at comparison of Ben Solomon?s signed art to a lot of the non-Ernie Hart, unsigned funny animal art from Quality Comics, and while maybe I?d have to compare more, I?ve been starting to suspect that quite a bit of the art had been drawn by animator William Pattengill.

Pattengill?s signed art from Ha Ha Comics #2 (November 1943):

The unsigned art from Crack Comics #37 (Spring 1945), featuring a similarly drawn native and a similar design philosophy of the bears:
It especially stuck out since the previous issue featured a dog character which seemed similar to other dog characters in some 1946 funny animal art, in addition to Roscoe:

The dog character from Crack Comics #36:
Mickey the Moocher:
Sad Sam Skunk:
Rollo Raccoon:
Giddy Goose:
The last one in particular leads me to think whichever artist drew this also drew for EC, in addition to being quite prolific, because the goat character and the general design of hair seems similar to the goat character and hair on the fawn from Animal Fables #1 (July 1946):

Your theory that the goat character artist might be Pattengill looks possible.  Although Ernie Hart was Quality's number 1 and only full-time funny animal artist, and Ben Solomon was their only other regular funny animal artists, they did use some other Jason artists during the early mid 1940s, like Milt Stein, and also used a couple Sangor artists sporadically (which could have included Pattengill.  The latter's art looks suspiciously like one of the EC funny animal artists, as you stated above.  I think he also may have drawn a few funny animal stories for Ace's Monkeyshines and Scream, as well.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2021, 04:22:14 AM »

Your theory that the goat character artist might be Pattengill looks possible.

It was also suggested to me animator Don Patterson having drawn them based on the Phineas the Great art from Ha Ha Comics #11, but somehow I dont think Patterson would have gone by as *E. D. Pat,* with his full name, in so far as I know, being *Donald W. Patterson.* With the art looking so similar to Pattengills Phineas the Great art from the previous year, I get the feeling that *Pat* could refer to Pattengill, while *E. D.* could be either the writer or inker, possibly Ed Dunn.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 04:25:10 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.