in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Week 214 - Giggle Comics #42

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Week 214 - Giggle Comics #42  (Read 1027 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Week 214 - Giggle Comics #42
« on: December 06, 2019, 02:42:55 AM »

Recent member Robb_K recommended we take a look at ACG's  Giggle Comics, a title I know little about. So I picked an issue from the middle of his suggested period and came up with Giggle #42 from June 1947. May you find much over which to giggle. Chortling also accepted.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Week 214 - Giggle Comics #42
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 08:23:44 AM »

No link here yet Crash!

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »

...And here is the link. Duh.

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=18871
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 06:03:50 PM »

Recent member Robb_K recommended we take a look at ACG's  Giggle Comics, a title I know little about. So I picked an issue from the middle of his suggested period and came up with Giggle #42 from June 1947. May you find much over which to giggle. Chortling also accepted.

Thanks for choosing one of my favourite comics!  But I'm still reviewing the tail end of last week's stories.  By the way, I can confirm some of GCD's guesses as to who the artists are, and postulate who others are that they have no idea on.  But, first I'll finish week 213.  8)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 08:32:52 PM »

Superkatt - Cute.

The Duke And The Dope - The Dope was annoyingly stupid, but otherwise okay.

Monty Monk - Cute, I really liked this one.  :)

The Catnip Garden - Eh, okay.

Spencer Spook -Erg... Ghosts of ghosts? *Shakes head*

The House Mouse - Eh, different.

Binky - Wasn't too impressed reading it, but the final panel made me laugh out loud and saved it.

Giles - Uhhhh... yeah... weird. Wonder why they decided to "homage" Dr. Seuss for the Yaloopistan part?

Ringo Raccoon - Eh, okay.

Smarty - Eh, okay.

Wacky Wolf - Cute ending.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2019, 08:58:56 PM »

I've read this comic book so many times that I can review it right away. ANY "Giggle" that has Ken Hultgren's "Duke and The Dope", "Spencer Spook", an Al Hubbard-drawn story, and Bob Wickersham's Wally (or Wacky in this case) Wolf, has got to be a good "Giggle". And this one has a special bonus of a Ken Hultgren funny animal drawing lesson!

This issue has a well-drawn, funny cover, by Dan Gordon (artist for Superkatt, and most of the stories in ACG's "Funny Films" series, and assorted stories in Giggles' twin book, "HaHa Comics". At that time, June 1947, near the early middle of Giggle's run (1943-55), Duke (Fox) and The Dope (Rabbit), and Superkatt(Cat in baby bonnet) faces were always represented on the covers, in addition to a gag scene.

1)Superkatt drawn by Dan Gordon
This story is well-drawn by highly-acclaimed comic book and animation artist, Dan Gordon.  It features a cat who wears a human baby outfit, and is a kind of superhero, who fights against injustice in his neighbourhood.  It's not known whether or not he/she is male or female. This story is about Mother's Day, which was timed to be released in May, as release date was one month before the date printed on the book. Superkatt lives with an African-American woman, who is portrayed typecast in the racist cliche of those times, as the loving, but stern, uneducated, slow witted "Mammy" to middle class "White" children, who had migrated from The American South, to get away from her hopeless life as a sharecropper. In this story, we find out that Superkatt must be wearing a human baby outfit (diaper and bonnet) to have his/her superpowers available for use.  A very strange idea.  But this series is strictly for laughs, and, so, apparently, even logic internal to the series' premise is not necessary.  We meet Superkatt's best friend, and comedic foil, Humphrey Dog. Interesting that Humphrey is too large to fit inside his doghouse. Humphry is a not-very-bright dog with a Brooklyn accent, typical of poor, uneducated labourers, and crooked thugs. I like Fritz the Dachshund speaking and thinking in a German accent. I find it interesting that Fritz addresses Superkatt as Mister.  Interesting also, that the dogs wear no clothes.  So their male genetilia should be noticeable.  Yet Humphrey believes Fritz is his mother.  I like the twist that the old female dog captured by the dogcatcher is Humphrey's mother, and that Superkatt's mother is also a disciplinarian, and Superkatt's human Mammy likes the fact that Superkatt will behave that day, as generally, she has nothing but trouble from Superkatt's shenanigans.  All in all a very nice story, with good comedy and some surprises, and nice art from Dan Gordon, as always.

2)The Duke and The Dope drawn and written by Ken Hultgren
This story is excellently drawn and well-written by ex-Disney animator,Hultgren, who worked on Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs, and played a big role in Bambi and Pinocchio.  He has also written and drawn probably the "bible" of drawing instruction books for learning to draw realistic animals, as well as a comparable one for learning to draw cartoony funny animals.  This feature started in Giggle #9, and lasted until the series' end in #99.  To me, it is the highlight of every Giggle issue. This series' premise is The Duke is a well-educated and somewhat snooty class-conscious Fox, who is lazy, and doesn't want to work for a living, but, rather, to live off his wits to survive day-to-day.  However, uncharacteristically, he has adopted a pathetic, halfwit(nigh on to imbecilic) Rabbit, as his traveling companion.  The Duke constantly gets the pair involved in schemes to try to make fast money, or trick people into giving them food or shelter, or free entertainment, only to have "The Dope" ruin things for him.  But, Duke isn't cruel enough to leave the helpless Dope to his own devices, for surely he couldn't survive a single day on his own.

In this story, Duke and Dope hear on radio news that valuable pearls were stolen. Duke guides Dope into a wax museum to introduce him to some culture, by learning about some famous people from history.  Dope coincidentally finds the stolen pearls.  Then the thieves, who were hiding there, chase them; but Dope's idiotic actions, by coincidence, cause the thieves to get stuck in the melted wax, and apprehended by the police, who also hand Duke $5,000 cash (a LOT of money in 1947) as a reward for their capture.  Duke rejoices that Dope has finally gone something constructive.  But, as a last twist to the story, the museum owner grabs the money from his hand, as compensation for Dope's having turned the heater on full blast, melting all his wax figures.  This was an entertaining story, -about average as Duke and The Dope stories go.   

This is a typical Duke & Dope story, in which Dope's ridiculous stupidity ends up irritating Duke no end.  Despite this series' format having that same thread through ALL the stories, the stories are not dreadfully dull and boring, because that effect can occur in several different ways, and also have different people winning and losing at the end.  So, the reader can be surprised as to how things will end up, and whether or not both Duke and Dope will be winners or losers, or Duke will win and be better off materially, but will still be aggravated because he lost an argument or bet with Dope, or Dope seems to be smarter than he, or he's disgusted that Dope is even more stupid than he thought any sentient being could be, but he's ridiculously lucky, or Dope's stupidity looks like it has brought riches to Duke, but then Dopes' previous stupid action causes Duke to lose it all, or Duke's becoming rich because of Dope's idiocy ends up hurting innocent people, and Duke can't enjoy his new wealth at their expense, so he gives it away to them, but is angry at Dope or "fate" for making him go through that ordeal.  The comedy comes from the absurdity of everything connected with The Dope, and the intense disgust and mental pain felt by Duke, and shown in his body language and facial expressions, the portrayal of which, by Hultgren, is genius.

3)MontyMonk 1-Page gag - Ken Hultgren drawn and plotted
Nice art and funny, Carl Barkslike gag!

4)The Catnip Garden - text story - Single drawing drawn by Dan Gordon
The drawing is well drawn as is always the case with Gordon. The so-called "story" is basically to set up a punchless, unfunny word gag.  Definitely not up to Barks' or even Disney, or WB general gag standards.

4)Spencer Spook listed as "unknown artist", but it looks very much like ex WB animator, Ken Champin's work (He was Spencer Spook's regular artist, - with only a handful of his stories drawn by others (almost all of those by former Disney animator and later Western Publishing Disney Comics artist, Jack Bradbury).

The premise of "Spencer Spook" is that Ghosts are supposed to haunt living Humans' homes, and there are specific rules of what they should and shouldn't do.  Spencer is a generally a failure at his "job", attracting the ire of his "Boss", who gives him his assignments, which are rewards for previous good work, and punishments for previous inadequate work.  That formula can't get too predictable, because we never know until the story's end, if he will be a success or failure.  Sometimes Spencer is a genius, and the best haunter and frightener of his homes' living residents, or he's their best "entertainer, not scaring them, but entertaining them.  What is a bit maddening to the purest logician, is that The Boss sometimes wants his spooks to scare his "tenants" to within an inch of their lives, and other times he blames him for scaring them away (too harsh haunting).  And other times Spencer is an embarrassment for being overly friendly with his living co-residents, and being their "entertainer" with a nightly "show".  But, at least, the stories are generally funny and difficult to predict, if not logically consistent.

This story has an original idea that I really like.  The living tenants don't get much sleep because of Spencer's haunting them all night.  So the parents send their kids to play in Spencer's sleeping room (attic) during the day to retaliate.  Spencer complains to his Boss, who sends him to a "Ghost Resort" for rest and relaxation (also an innovative idea).  That's good, so far.  But then, because the writer couldn't think of a better way to have Ghost pranksters haunt Spencer who are NOT under the jurisdiction of The Boss' authority, he or she used a ridiculous and totally illogical reality for The Ghost Universe, that Ghosts are Humans after they die, and IF they die as Ghosts, they are "dead ghosts", and are no longer under the jurisdiction of Ghost leaders.  I wonder what Ghosts become after THEY die?  That concept is too bizarre for me, and also smacks of weak and lazy storywriting.  But the story-ending joke of Spencer returning "home", and he's so tired that he sleeps through the tenants' kids noisy playing is a clever and funny ending, and, thus, saves the story.  It's not among Spencer's best, but it is worth reading, and generates some chuckles.

5)The House Mouse- Text story - Single drawing drawn by Dan Gordon
Good, clean, to-the-point story, garnering empathy for the mouse from the reader.  I generally can't even get through comic book text stories.  Most of them in funny animal comic books are pure tripe, something that shows printed words on a page, so that particular publication could have some actual literature, rather than just drawings, so the comic book could be deemed to have at least "some" redeeming social value, - so that it could qualify for the significantly lower cost of second class mail, for shipment to subscribers.  But this was a good, and even entertaining story, and met the moral test (a modern-day fable, mirroring Aesop's "The Mouse and The Lion".

6)Binky (Dog) - Listed as Jack Bradbury with a question mark - but clearly NOT! It looks to me exactly like former Disney animator and future Western Publishing Disney Comics artist, Al Hubbard's work.  Hubbard was working for Sangor Studios in 1947, drawing stories for ACG's Giggle and HaHa Comics, and Standard's funny animal lines, Coo Coo, Barnyard, Goofy and Happy Comics.  The artwork is up to his excellent standard.

The storyline is basically worth, perhaps a 2-page gag, but is stretched out for 6 pages.  No way I could get away with that with my Disney editors.  It's funny that the dog HATES water touching him when his master tries to wash him, and "fights to the death" to avoid that (something some little Human boys do, as well), and then plays in the water for fun.  But we didn't really need to see him do that for 5.5 of the 6 pages, to get that message.  Personally, I like the 6 pages rather than 2 or 3, because it gives me more great art to look at.  I like comic books and newspaper strips 80% for the art, and 20% for the story or gags.   8)

7)Giles - artist and writer unknown. Of the only five Giles stories printed in Giggle, all credits are unknown. 2 have Ken Hultgren listed with question marks.  But the artwork doesn't look to me like Hultgren's and I'm one of his biggest fans. The artwork is average Sangor work for the mid-to-late 1940s.

The artwork and staging is very interesting.  And the story was very interesting and entertaining, as well.  The story takes a very bizarre turn into a strange dimension where the roots of a small weed can continue on for thousands of miles, even across oceans, and Giles can travel around The World with no money and without stopping to eat.  Of course, the reader may, before the story's end, suspect that Giles is now having a daydream, because the things that are happening are way-y-y-y too fantastic and impossible, but that doesn't take much away from the punch line ending, because it was such a nice idea, and so well drawn with the edgy feeling to the atmosphere.  I liked this story a lot, and only remember being bored by the other 4 Giles stories.  We really know why Giles doesn't care about earning the dime anymore, and why he wouldn't touch the weed with a 10-foot pole.

8}Ringo Raccoon Gag - written by Hubie Karp, artist listed as unknown (Could be former Disney animator and future Disney Comics artist, Gil Turner)
Great art and a passable average gag, - worth looking at.

9)Smarty (Dog) text story - 1 Drawing drawn by Dan Gordon
The artwork is okay, but the story is dull and the ending os obvious.  Not worth reading.

10)Wacky Wolf - Drawn by Bob Wickersham (AKA Bob Wick)
This is at most worth a 2-Page gag, stretched out into 3 pages.  It's funny enough, but the stretching number of pages out to fill books shows that despite much Disney-quality art, the funny animal story-writing standards of these other companies Sangor serviced were not up to Disney's.  The artwork is an interesting style - very basic and cartoony, - much more so than Sangor's dominant style, which is much closer to Disney's.  Wacky Wolf's is more like DC's 1940s funny animal style.  It's also interesting that Wickersham drew his other series for Sangor in the much more Disneylike style.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 06:05:30 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 04:56:58 AM »

I'm posting this message to notify followers of this thread that I have added reviews of the last several stories in this issue of Giggle Comics, since I added only the first two stories in my first post, and kept all my later posts in THAT first post, by editing it.  So, in case you are interested in seeing ALL the reviews by everyone who posted, you should go back to mine, and read my comments on The 3rd-through the 10th story. 
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »

An entertaining comic that did indeed produce a giggle or two. The artwork is the star. On the whole it's much better than most of the Golden Age funny-animal comics I've sampled. The stories are a mixed bag.

One gripe I've had with GA cartoon comic stories is that they are often just a string of slapstick scenes which would work on screen but are pointless on the page. That's not the case in the majority of these stories. They have plots, and I appreciate that.

Superkatt: This is definitely not a story to send Mom on Mothers' Day. Many funny gags, great artwork, and a hectic pace that's almost too hectic. I wonder who was the first to use "brushy" random-shaped panel borders for cartoon stories. I'd always associated it with early Dell stories by Walt Kelly. All of these stories use them.

The Duke and the Dope: The story here is well-constructed and funny. However most of the plot points happen by coincidence. The Dope is so stupid that when he does something that makes sense (melting the wax) you wonder how he could have thought of it on his own. Excellent art.

Monty Monk: Nice to look at; otherwise meh.

Spencer Spook: My introduction to Spencer. Maybe this is all explained somewhere else, but in a short-story series I expect the world to be simple enough that a first-time reader understands its rules. That isn't the case here. Except for coming out of the oven, Spencer seems to have none of the supernatural traits we expect from a ghost. He interacts with the humans as one person to another. Even though the housewife berates him for rattling chains, ringing bells, and moaning, we don't see him do anything but kvetch. He's less like a ghost than an obnoxious boarder. In fact the woman suggests he can move out if he wishes.

Then we discover that Spencer is assigned his haunts by a ghost "Boss" who looks like Ben Franklin. It seems Spencer can't move because there aren't any openings (postwar housing shortage?). Spence is sent to a "rest home" where we learn that ghosts can die and become ghost-ghosts! These ghosts do perform the traditional ghost duties (disappear, create illusions, taunt victims) and they don't seem to work for the Boss. Good artwork can't save this one. It's too confusing.

Binky: I just complained about stories that are a sequence of slapstick gags. That's just what this is, but I love it. The artwork is the best in the book. There's so much animation in the characters that I don't care that there's no story.

Giles: Once I caught on that we were watching Giles' imagination at work I went with the flow and enjoyed the surreal images and silly conclusion. It reminded me of Little Nemo.

Ringo Raccoon: Good art, weak gag.

Wacky Wolf:
The weakest story in the book. No big deal.

In conclusion there was enough good stuff in Giggle #42 to make me want to read other issues. Not sure if I'll bother with Spencer Spook.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 10:27:11 PM »

1)An entertaining comic that did indeed produce a giggle or two. The artwork is the star. On the whole it's much better than most of the Golden Age funny-animal comics I've sampled. One gripe I've had with GA cartoon comic stories is that they are often just a string of slapstick scenes which would work on screen but are pointless on the page. That's not the case in the majority of these stories. They have plots, and I appreciate that.

2)Superkatt:  Many funny gags, great artwork, and a hectic pace. I wonder who was the first to use "brushy" random-shaped panel borders for cartoon stories. I'd always associated it with early Dell stories by Walt Kelly. All of these stories use them.

3)The Duke and the Dope: The story here is well-constructed and funny. The Dope is so stupid that when he does something that makes sense (melting the wax) you wonder how he could have thought of it on his own. Excellent art.

4)Spencer Spook: In a short-story series I expect the world to be simple enough that a first-time reader understands its rules. That isn't the case here. Spencer seems to have none of the supernatural traits we expect from a ghost. He interacts with the humans as one living person to another.  He's less like a ghost than an obnoxious boarder.

Then we discover that Spencer is assigned his haunts by a ghost "Boss" who looks like Ben Franklin. It seems Spencer can't move because there aren't any openings (postwar housing shortage?). Spence is sent to a "rest home" where we learn that ghosts can die and become ghost-ghosts! These ghosts do perform the traditional ghost duties (disappear, create illusions, taunt victims) and they don't seem to work for the Boss. Good artwork can't save this one. It's too confusing.

5)Binky: I just complained about stories that are a sequence of slapstick gags. That's just what this is, but I love it. The artwork is the best in the book. There's so much animation in the characters that I don't care that there's no story.

6)Giles: Once I caught on that we were watching Giles' imagination at work I went with the flow and enjoyed the surreal images and silly conclusion. It reminded me of Little Nemo.

7)Wacky Wolf:[/b] The weakest story in the book. No big deal.

8)In conclusion there was enough good stuff in Giggle #42 to make me want to read other issues. Not sure if I'll bother with Spencer Spook.

1)Glad you liked the book on the whole, as, for the first several months I had been perusing this website and been reading forum threads,  I had seen almost no evidence of anyone else but me liking "funny animal" comic books.  Now I know that you, Paw Broon, Australian Panther, and SuperScrounge at least enjoy the well-drawn stories with reasonable plots and that are funny or clever.

2)This Superkatt story is one of my favourites.  I don't know who was first to use "brushy" random-shaped panel borders for cartoon stories, but I know they were used in some comedic comic book stories in late 1930s stories in Chesler publications.  I can't speak for Superhero, crime, adventure, war, Crime, and Western genre stories from that period and earlier, but, I suspect they were used in most genres by the time stories were made especially for comic books that were not printed in newspapers.

3)The quality of "The Duke and The Dope" stories varied some, despite generally adhering to the format of The Dope's naivt
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.