in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

#217--Mike Shayne, Private Eye #1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: #217--Mike Shayne, Private Eye #1  (Read 1026 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
#217--Mike Shayne, Private Eye #1
« on: January 14, 2020, 03:10:07 AM »

Lately we've heard a lot about Super Detective Library, the British series that published many adaptations of popular adventure novels (I say "popular" to differentiate them from "classic" novels of the sort Classics Illustrated published). I'm curious what the group thinks of one of the rare times an American comic did the same.

Dell's Michael Shayne, Private Eye #1 (1962) is one of three adaptations from Brett Halliday's long-running detective series. This one presents The Private Practice of Michael Shayne. GCD credits the script to Ken Fitch and the artwork is by Edd Ashe. Here's the link:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=37628

BTW, Halliday's real name was Davis Dresser.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
Re: #217--Mike Shayne, Private Eye #1
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 11:49:12 PM »

The Private Practice of Michael Shayne - Not bad, but trying to condense a novel plot down to a comic book length tends to feel a little crowded and overly-complicated.

Danny The Dip - Not bad.

A Plot To Murder - Interesting, but probably would have been better had it been a little longer.
ip icon Logged

Gold Key Geezer

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2020, 05:05:28 AM »

The Private Practice of Michael Shayne: I agree with the previous reply, it's difficult to adapt a novel into a comic story. A bit confusing with all of the characters introduced.

Danny the Dip: OK, I guess. But I don't read comics for the text stories!  :)

A Plot to Murder: Was it me, or did it seem that the end of the story was missing?

Excellent art by Edd Ashe throughout.

6.5/10
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 05:15:51 AM »

This comic appealed to me. It's a good private-eye story with excellent artwork. It also has a lot of technical interest, showcasing the challenges of adapting a novel into comic form.

First I must point out that Mike Shayne was famously a "big redhead" but in this comic he's a blonde. Dell corrected this in the second issue. Edd Ashe wasn't a top-tier artist and his output was variable. He does a fine job here. Ashe was great at drawing unpleasant fat guys. I bet he'd have done a great Maltese Falcon. Ashe liked to sneak his name into backgrounds. I wonder if the fellow with the glasses and the portfolio case near the Ashe's Bakery truck (our page 12, panel 2) is Ashe himself.

The story works easily in the modern (1962) world. You'd never known it was written in 1939. Its biggest problem is that the plot is complex and full of characters. Cramming everything into 27 pages means the story moves at breakneck speed and is often confusing. I found myself going back and re-reading sections to keep things straight. Compounding the impression of too much story in too few pages are captions which pack in extra dialogue that really should have been in a separate panel.

Mike Shayne shares many of these characteristics with the Super Detective Library novel adaptations. In SDL stories the text is much heavier, but then the panels are bigger. Perhaps if the Shayne panels had been larger, Ken Fitch would have loaded more words into them. What the script really needs is more pages. I compared the panel count in the Shayne comic to an SDL Victor Canning adaptation. An SDL page averaged 3 panels per page spread over 64 pages. Total: 192 panels. A Michael Shayne page averaged 6 panels over 27 pages. Total: 162 panels. Adding the 30-panel difference (as five 6-panel pages) would stretch the Shayne story to 32 pages, the total number of pages in an American comic book. Dell often published 32-page stories. I'm sure this one would have worked better given the extra room. However the option wasn't available. Michael Shayne was offered as a subscription comic, so it had to have a text story and a short back feature. I wonder how many readers wasted 60c on a Michael Shayne subscription. It only ran for two more issues.

Speaking of back features, "A Plot to Murder" packs 27 pages worth of confusion into just four pages. Like Andrew999 my first thought was that a page was missing. After a couple of re-reads I figured it out. The twist is rather clever but it's spoiled by the abrupt ending. Edd Ashe offers another nice art job. I especially like the first panel.

I like the idea of novel adaptations in comics, but converting one into the other is a tricky job. Much depends upon the source novel. Moderately-complicated plots with a small cast and lots of "visual" action translate the best. Novelettes, rather than full-length novels, would probably make the best comics. Being one of the latter, Michael Shayne has its problems. Nevertheless I enjoyed the heck out of it.
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »

Nice cover art.  A complicated story that is well plotted.  It comes together at the end, but is too complex for the format to handle.  The plot begins deceptively simple but gradually escalates into three or four separate threads.  A bit confusing at times; but following this uncommon private eye around is always time well spent.  A good read.  Thanks crash. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 05:55:28 PM »

The Private Practice of Michael Shayne: I agree with the previous reply, it's difficult to adapt a novel into a comic story. A bit confusing with all of the characters introduced.

Danny the Dip: OK, I guess. But I don't read comics for the text stories!  :)

A Plot to Murder: Was it me, or did it seem that the end of the story was missing?

Excellent art by Edd Ashe throughout.

6.5/10

The Private Practice of Michael Shayne:

I agree that it's very difficult to adapt a full length novel, with a complicated plot, and many characters into a less than full book, or even full normal-sized comic book's short length.  That story was too complicated to even lay out the plot details, and also weave in any character development, and also show the settings, and still pace the story correctly, in such a short number of pages.  It would take at least a few jumbo size books to handle all the details which  needed to be covered to make the story understandable (as so many hinge upon previous actions by others).  And in a limited number of pages, there is no room to develop characters to see from where motivations rose, and, thus, to pace the story properly. 

This story was a jumble of text and visual noise, in which, the reader must flip back to earlier points in the story to try to understand why things are happening, and hope to understand how things connect.  It's not entertaining to read it, because there is too much work involved, and pressure to perform.

It reminds me of reading the Don Rosa Uncle Scrooge historical stories or sequel stories, in which the pages and panels are filled with so much happening and so many details that need to be studied to get the references and jokes, that the reader cannot "live" (get lost in) the story, like one does when watching a good film or novel.

A Plot to Murder:
I agree that this story is all about the "eye for an eye", twist ending. Its essence COULD even have been shown in only one or two pages.  But that would be even less satisfying than its too short, five pages.  One of the talents of comic book story writers, scenarists, and story-boarders (who lay out the pages and panels) is telling the story in an optimum length. 

A story can be told (in a mixture of visuals and text) in too short a length, too long a length, or the optimum length, for reader enjoyment.  This story has a fairly uncomplicated plot.  So it can, and should be told in a relatively short size (number of pages).  Even given that, to me as a storywriter, scenarist and storyboarder (page and panel layout man), it was told on too few pages.  I would say that 8 pages would be ideal for correctly pacing this story, which is totally driven by the (up-to-then) ", "innocent" sister, who turned the tables on her greedy, selfish, and ruthless villain of a sister, to take advantage of the latter's plot. 

I would have used the additional 3 pages to further develop the evil sister's hatred of her more reasonable sister to really believe her motivation to frame her, or force her to live in exile from her native land, just so her greedy, conniving self can live in comfort without having to put up with her doddering old husband.  That would have required more references to events in their teenage years, and perhaps a couple of flashbacks in both of their thoughts, too better understand their adversarial relationship.  Without that, it is hard to believe twin sisters, who come from a single egg, could be so callous and cruel to each other (albeit the "winning" sister, and lesser of the two meanies, is doing her dastardly deed mainly out of self-defence. 

I DO agree with the author to NOT show the results of her brilliant plan.  It's such a dramatic, and unexpected ending, that it should be dwelled upon, and savoured, rather than eroded slowly, by an epilogue showing her happiness being rich in her sister's place, either together with her sister's rich husband, or free with ALL his money, after he dies.  It IS best to end it abruptly, just as the moment of discovery of the irony in a TV show episode from Boris Karloff's "Thriller", "The Twilight Zone", or "One Step Beyond", all of which ended their stories at the point where the ending of events at the climax reveals to the viewer the ironic "just desserts" which the future holds for the villain or unsuspecting person, who was "too curious" for his or her own good.

Danny the Dip:
This story way readable, but didn't carry much interest for me, as most comic book text stories need to be too short to really lay out a proper setting, develop the characters as the story moves on to see from where motivation came,and to develop the plot at a proper pace, so the action can follow slowly enough for the reader to "live" somewhat in the story, and not just be reading a story scenario, and knowing all key elements, but not really being entertained. 

But, I understand that the text stories were almost exclusively included only to meet The US and Canadian postal regulations, requiring text reading to fit the description of "educational material", or "reading material with some redeeming features", for the monthly, bi-monthly, or quarterly book series to qualify for the significantly lower 2nd Class postage shipping rate.

General Comments ("Great Man!  Served under him during The War!"):
All in all, the artwork was very good.  The experience of reading these stories was entertaining for me, despite my being a person who, from my beginning of experience with comic books, was almost exclusively a "funny animal" fan, who only strayed a little into "cartoony" Human-figure comedy comics, and whose ONLY deviation from those was occasionally reading "Classics Illustrated". 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 06:13:39 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.