in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

#219--All Good Comics!!!!!

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: #219--All Good Comics!!!!!  (Read 3101 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
#219--All Good Comics!!!!!
« on: February 15, 2020, 12:53:22 AM »

So I stumbled upon an omnibus comic titled All Good Comics which was published by Fox Features--an oxymoron if ever there was one. Are these stories really all good? Pick a couple of favorites and tell us what you think. (P.S.: As we went to press I found that Fox also offered All GREAT Comics, which presumably are even better.) Does anyone dare read all 128 pages?

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30903
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: #219--All Good Comics!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 02:33:07 AM »

Back in the day, DC comics were published in Australia in Black and White omnibuses of 100 pages. So I'm quite accustomed to reading comics of this size. 'All Good Comics' ? Advertising and Marketing of course, no more believable than advertising and marketing ever is. Notice how descriptive titles like, EXCITING, AMAZING, ASTONISH, SUSPENSE, PEP were used as titles?  That said, for its age it's quite an interesting comic.
The Puppeteer - has a flag, 'CaptainAmerica-ish "  costume. But. He calls himself the Puppeteer, and he is a puppeteer in his secret identity. Umm, What!?
This is 'throw it against the wall and see if any of it sticks' stuff. But I find it  quite entertaining.
Alan Dale transforms himself into the Puppeteer by playing the first notes of Beethoven's fifth on the giant organ. Last appearance in All Top Comics #1 (one-shot) as Captain V. Next appearance in All Your Comics #1 (first one-shot). Alec Hope is a by-line that appeared on art by Hollingsworth. Art credits courtesy of the Who's Who.

So we have, 'All Great,All Good, All Top and All your Comics'
There are also, ' Book Of All-Comics pt.1 | Book Of All-Comics pt.2 | Book Of All-Comics pt.3 | Book of Comics 1' which are filed here under one-shots, and some of which have stories featuring this character.
Does anybody know where the origin of 'The Puppeteeer' was? I think he later became VMan (for Victory). 
I'll comment on the content of the book some other time down the track when I've had time to read it all.     

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30903

Cheers     
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 03:43:03 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 10:54:37 AM »

So I stumbled upon an omnibus comic titled All Good Comics which was published by Fox Features--an oxymoron if ever there was one. Are these stories really all good? Pick a couple of favorites and tell us what you think. (P.S.: As we went to press I found that Fox also offered All GREAT Comics, which presumably are even better.) Does anyone dare read all 128 pages?https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30903

I have it, and have read it all before.  Fox's Ribtickler Giant Comic, which sold for 50 cents, had 194 pages!  In general, I've found that Fox's early and late 1940s artwork was pretty primitive, and generally of significantly lower quality than the industry standard (average) for that time period.  I only collect funny animal and cartoony human character comedic comics, so I can't speak for the general story writing quality of the "serious" or semi-realistic genre stories produced by Fox, other than critiquing and reviewing those in this book.  I'll re-read the non-comedy stories in the book over the next few hours and write my comments forthwith, adding them to this post as modifications.

The Bouncer - "The Borrowed Eye"
This story is poorly thought out and put together.  The criminal gang leader's motivation doesn't work well with his capturing the blind people to sell their good corneas to the persons of his choice.  The Bouncer, as an ancient statue that comes to life to help Mankind control evil badly-behaving people is an novel idea, and interesting to think about it once.  But it is too far from any kind of reality for my taste, and doesn't really fill any purpose.  Was there an origin story for this superhero?  Now, IF there is a real ancient legend about a god or hero who misbehaved, and was made into a statue as a punishment, but one of the goddesses, who knew his merits eased the punishment by allowing him to come alive again when needed to help The righteous (e.g. non-badly-behaved) Humans in their times of need, I'd find that worth reading.  But, we never learn ANY of the hero's back story.  The story is too short, and the motivation of the villain's plot is weak, and was not developed.  It seems that a gang leader in organised crime could think of better, easier, and more reliable ways to make money. 

Rick Evans - "S.O.S. From Mars"
This story is typical of the weaker. so-called "science Fiction" stories in comic books and comic strips printed in the late 1930s and early 1940s, which had almost no "science" in them, and were based on popular non-scientific misconceptions of the time.  Evans, a private citizen, has his own spaceship, which he flies out into Outer Space whenever he gets the urge.  We are not told how far in The Earth's future this story takes place.  But, Rick and his friends travel to Mars, after hearing an S.O.S. broadcast.  Based on guesswork, and a fairly primitive telescopic view of barely discernible lines of colour across a region of Mars' terrain, which were surmised to be canals, the author assumed that Mars' surface was warm enough to have liquid water on its an Earth-like atmosphere.  Therefore, his Earthlings wear no spacesuits or oxygen-filled space helmets. They also wear light summer clothing.  The leader of the "good" Martian society is a completely humanlike female (queen), but, we see no others of her species.  Her only "subjects" seem to be an insectlike species.  She is a prisoner of an alien villain (Lugo), who looks reptilian, or amphibianlike.  The queen had projected her thoughts across space, directed towards Earth, specifically for Rick Evans to hear.  So, she already knew of him, at least by reputation.  The setting is very undeveloped, and the backgrounds of all characters are also undeveloped, and motivations are also not shown.  So, nothing is believable. 

It seems that Rick Evans is a newspaper strip or comic book stories in a newspaper strip episodic style, and is chopped up into episodes appearing in various Fox books (maybe one or two regular standard bi-monthly 52 to 68-page books, as well as several different annual, semi-annual, or quarterly Fox Giants, which leave the episodes in fairly short numbers of pages, and difficult for fans of the strip to find and purchase all the books to follow the ongoing story.  I assume that the setting and backgrounds to Evans' World were better laid out in his introduction/first episode in whatever book.  But I don't know.  It may be possible that it never was laid out, because it seems that this series was developed quickly, with not much thinking about the story's logic, seemingly to fill out the number of regular pages needed to support a new line of comic books with new material, to meet the public demand for new comic book product when the backlog of newspaper reprint stories were getting close to running out.

I don't know enough about Lugo and his evil plans to even be scared of him.  I don't have any feeling for Rick Evans or his ladyfriend, as I know little about them other than they seem to be adventurous, but foolhardy.  Even at 5 years old, near the beginning of the 1950s, I knew that Humans would need a heated oxygen-filled space suit and helmet to survive in Space, and that no sane person would take it for granted that Mars would have an Earthlike atmosphere until I'd have experienced that myself, first.

Rick Evans - "Prison In The Sky"
I had the same problems with this Rick Evans story.  The Earth's scientists are being captured by some giant Cyclopses on a planet out in Space.  Evans flies his space ship along the visible  (lightning bolt-like) track of the sound wave of another S.O.S. being broadcast by the villains to attract him to the prison planet, where the head villain uses his prisoners as slave labourers.  It was way too short to develop any plot (setting, develop characters, motivations, pace the story to build up suspense before the climax, etc.  The male and female villains fight, leading to fire that Evans uses to burn his rope binding.  (I always wonder where the characters get biologically-based materials on desert planets where we see NOTHING growing).  Within a couple pages we are introduced to the story's heroes, problem, settings, villains, shown the climax, and the epilogue, in which Evans rescues the slaves (not shown visually), and shuttles them back to their home planets.  It's utterly absurd and ridiculous to write a "story" with a plot deserving AT LEAST an entire 36-page book, and show it in 4-5 pages of 3-tiers of panels.  But, that was fairly common during the early 1940s in publishers' "showcase" series with stories from various characters, as opposed to the later 1940s spinoff popular character, single-character comic book series, for which the entire book, or half of it, could be used to tell a single story.

The Puppeteer - "The Bleeding Statue"
The story plot idea with the sculptor and his making lifelike statues by using the real people, involving killing them, was first used in Warner Brothers' 1933 film, "Mystery Of The Wax Museum". I'm guessing that the author of this story got his inspiration from that popular classic American film.  It would have made for a very good detective/crime story, even including a superhero as the "detector" and hero.  But, "The Puppeteer" as the superhero seems a poor fit, as puppets and statues are too similar, in a way, - causing unnecessary expectations of the reader that The Puppeteer's pastime, for which he's been named, will play a part related heavily to the statues.  So. it gets in the way of following just what is shown in the story.  Furthermore, the reader never gets to see what puppets have to do with his superhero status. 

I also have a big problem with this flying superhero having a talking bird for a sidekick.  And his becoming super strong, and being able to fly,  just from playing notes on an organ, which also magically changes his clothes for him, is just too silly.  At least Superman actually has to put his other outfit on, even if he does that in U.S. glass-walled telephone booths, where everyone can watch him do it.  I also had a problem with the first young lady seemingly having been enclosed in a plaster encasement, with VERY little air trapped inside for what seemed much to long for her to not die from asphyxiation.  The author, storyboarder and final penciler made it seem as if she must have already been sealed inside for at least a few hours, before The Puppeteer got to her to break her free.  And with very little space between the sealant material and her face, it would seem that she would have used up all her oxygen, turning it to carbon dioxide, within much less than one hour.  All these weaknesses, and like the stories I discussed above, the artwork is not very good to my taste (certainly subpar for the era, based on average for the industry). Although, it was better than the absolutely terrible Rick Evans drawing.

Red Robbins and Speed Karr
Where do I start with my complaints?  This story is a mess.  Continuously beating "Speed" Karr's slowness "joke" to death is insulting to the reader.  And since when do curvy vertical lines indicate slowness?  Was there really a reasonable chance that putting down Black people to show they were inferior would sell significantly more comic books than trying to make characters actually fit into the story, and work funny situations around them?  It's not like Fox's comic books were sold mainly in The Deep South.  Making this Black teenager either so terribly poor that he'd want to keep a torn piece of paper that fell onto the street, in case he might need it some day, or make him so dimwitted that he was basically a moron was a big turnoff for me.  And it's not like I didn't know The US mentality of the times.  I was already reading comic books in the late 1940s (we got mostly Canadian printings of totally US-produced comics), and I was a big fan of Walter Lantz's Li'l Eight-Ball, which was quite strong in using typical stereotypes about Black People, to make fun of them.  Yet I found Eight-Ball to be a not only inherently funny and sympathetic character, and so despite being a Jew, and treated with the same type of prejudice and stereotyping, I found value and entertainment in THAT strip, but was disgusted by the use of Speed Karr in "Red Robbins".  "Speed" runs so very slowly that he falls into a manhole, which saves him from his villain pursuer, as if running faster over a hole would allow one to avoid falling into it.  I also thought the implication that the brutish villain threatening Karr with torture with a heavy wrench with sharp teeth (implying that he would use it on the teen's genitals) was going too far.  Karr is a captive by The Villain Gang under the street (in the sewer tunnels), while Robbins leaves the employment office. The very next panel shows the gang driving their car (with Karr as a hostage) aiming at a man trying to cross the street, and Robbins tackling that man to save his life.  Instead of mentioning that there was a time break beforehand, the narrative simply describes what we see in the panel art.  A big no-no for the artist, who is already severely hampered in trying to tell the story in far too few pages, now wasting half a panel.  Red Robbins, the superhero, never uses weapons.  He simply socks villains which transmits electric shocks to his victims, which knocks them out for whatever period of time is needed until the police can come to incarcerate them.  Within a few panels, Robbins worms the gang's plans out of one of the gang, drives to the harbour, takes a speedboat out to intercept their boat, captures them all before they can turn over the valuable weapons formula to enemy agents, after capturing the gang leader, and getting his thanks from The US Coastguard, we see Karr trying to take half the credit for capturing the gang.  Insulting!  And too silly.

Red Robbins and The Medical Murderer
This story has an excellent plotline, an ingenious idea: A doctor whose research will be stopped, and his hospital closed down because he doesn't pay his bills, decides to team up with a gangster and gang to commit robberies dressed as emergency medical technicians, and using an ambulance for their getaway car, and using the hospital for their hideout.  The problem is that the story premise is laid out in several pages with good pacing, but then there is basically only one page left to show Robbins in action.  He finds the villains at the hospital (he bursts in - we don't see how he found them), and subdues them all in only 4 panels.  And the artist is illogical (empty-headed) enough to waste yet another panel on showing a newspaper headline with a verbal description of what the reader just saw in the previous 4 panels!  And on top of all that, he wastes the last panel trying to show that this super crime fighter is virile, by adding in his ladyfriend asking where he's been, and he mentions that she'll see more of him soon (ostensibly an advert to remind readers to buy the next issue)!  It's amazing how amateurish comic book production was during the infancy of that industry in the late 1930s and early 1940s.

Dick Transom - "Case Of The Vanishing Gems"
Wow! This story was absolutely worthless!  The story idea (a male criminal dresses as a woman to avoid being found by the police after stealing jewelry from rich women, as  a man, at a posh restaurant), is a decent, though often used idea.  But the story is just a vehicle for slapstick physical sight gags, and Vaudevillian puns, all of which were old and tired by 1880.  That, so-called  comedy, was provided by the inept private detective, main character.  The story is completely predictable, and not even the slightest bit funny.

O'Brine Twins - Golf Story 1
This story was something like Dick Transom's, in that it was a string of physical sight gags, based on The Twins being moronically stupid.

O'Brine Twins - Feud Story 2
This story, making fun of Appalachian hicks, having a Hatfield-McCoy style feud.  The jokes aren't very funny, but the art was good, as that strip always was; and the story was able to be followed.  So, for me, it was worth reading (mainly for the nice artwork).

Betty Boyd (Crime Reporter)
The idea for this story wasn't bad.  But trying to provide some background about the setting and the main characters, and still trying to develop a story with decent pacing, show a decent amount of action leading up to a climax, and still have enough panels left over for an epilogue in a mere 6 pages of 3-tier paneling, is absolutely impossible.  So, the story is choppy, suffers from lack of visual evidence of character emotions, and has way too little action shown visually, and has much too high a percentage of panels just showing people standing and talking.  In addition, the artwork is subpar.

The Purple Tigress
Another unbelievable superheroine  story.  The plot is okay.  But, that story can't be built up properly in 10 pages, let alone 6.  The Tigress sees her cue to go into action, but wastes time putting on her tiny costume, that can't possibly disguise her identity,  It is similar to Donald Duck donning a pencil thin moustache to hide his identity.  It's all too silly.  She defeats a whole gang of big, strong men by turning off the lights, and swinging from curtains in the dark, throwing heavy vases and chairs at them.  And then she quickly returns in her innocent alter ego dress, pretending she'd been asleep.  Very cliched, and not very interesting.  The artwork was weak, just as in most of the other stories.

The Adventures Of Connie - "The Time Projector"
The artwork on this story was much, much better than that of all the rest.  The story plot with a time machine and Connie and her boyfriend going back 100 years to rescue his sister, who is stranded in 1840, is a great idea.  But, like several of the other story lines, 6 pages is way too short to tell that story in a decent pacing, and providing enough information to the reader to "live in the story".  Just when it had started to get really interesting, Connie and her lover/sidekick/boyfriend? are back in modern times when she wakes up from a dream.  I suppose this is the best way to deal with the drastic 6-page limitation.  Instead of trying to tell a 30-50-page story in 6 pages, making it more like just telling a scenario with shown highlights (like all the other non-comedy stories in this book) this author started his story as if it WOULD  have 50 pages, and then just ended it abruptly, revealing that it was all a dream, which is disappointing to the reader, but not nearly as much as insulting your readers by actually trying to convince them that you told story that was worthwhile telling, with a natural scope of 50 pages, in just 6 pages.

Titan
This was a straightforward story of a two-fisted hero type, who is determined to fight crime. The art is weak like that of most of the book.  The story is not complicated, with nothing unexpected. Not very interesting, but an easier read than most in this collection.  And the story is paced appropriately for its page count, unlike all the other non-comedy stories.

Percy
This story was an abominable insult.  There were no indications of why there was really a treasure on a sunken ship exactly in the spot where the "villain" drew it on his false map.  The characters' motivations were way too general.  I would have provided some background on the characters' relationship to each other, and shown strong emotions related to the trick the prankster played on Percy.  There were no jokes, and there was no confrontation, and the ending was predictable.  This was typical of many of the early 1940s comic book filler stories, that were written by people who were uninspired amateurs because the new field popped up very quickly when the backlog of newspaper scripts was about to dry out, and publishers didn't know where to find competent story writers, and didn't really understand what their would-be customers would want, and how to provide it to them using that medium.

I would have made Percy a boat owner in the ocean salvage business, and the villain his biggest rival.  In addition, I'd have made the business rival his greatest rival for the affections of his girlfriend.  The prank would have been arranged by the rival to make Percy look like a fool in front of his girlfriend, with the goal that she'd drop him and try out the prankster.I'd have included a fight between them, and shown extreme emotions in several scenes, so the reader could identify with the hero.  This writer and artist wasted valuable panel and dialogue balloon space with boring empty talk which didn't provide any information to the reader to understand what is happening or to move the story plot along. 

These weaknesses in Fox's staff's development of their series' characters shows just how good Disney's staff was.  They developed their animation characters strongly, as opposed to many of the other studios, and even stressed strong character development under their established rules in their dealings with their children's book and comic book franchisees, Whitman/K.K. Publications/Western Publishing/Dell Comics. 

Donald Duck, for example, was a ne'er do-well, semi-juvenile, egotistical hot-head, who could start a new business in any field, at any time, and expect to get rich, only to fail miserably, in a comical way.  His 10-page lead story in "Walt Disney's Comics & Stories" was a perfect vehicle for the type of story that should have been written for Percy in this situation.  Percy was a regular Fox character, with stories appearing in several of their "Funny Animal/children's Comedy" and multi-genre books.  But, Fox gave him NO characteristics of his own.  He was a little boy.  That's ALL his developers got to work with.  They knew he would have to be likable and honest - but nothing else.  Had I been given that task, I'd have broadened and deepened his character, and that of his girlfriend, and given him some regular friends with very different characteristics, and a regular rival.  They would have fit right in with the motivations needed for this story.  There would have been pressure on him to perform, adding suspense to the story.  I'd have started off with his girlfriend wanting him to take her to "The Sailor's Ball", and buy her an impressive costume that would cost a lot of money.  His rival would be planning to buy it for her and steal her away.  The rival would plan to occupy Percy on the "wild goose chase", while he'd earn the money he needed by selling tickets to  a lot of the Harbour Folks who knew both of them, who would pay money to take a trip on the rival's ferry-boat to watch Percy make a fool of himself looking for a bogus ancient pirate treasure in a fake sunken ship.  I'd certainly add a bunch of comedic scenes, also showing strong emotions.  I write and draw stories like this all the time, using already established Disney characters that fit my story needs perfectly, and even invent some new ones when the perfect one doesn't yet exist. 

In the early 1940s for the nascent comic book industry, Fox's hired writers and artists didn't get much help from Fox in terms of character development or authority to improvise.  But, I'm sure that had they been bold, and developed things on their own, and ran it by their editors, they'd have been able to go through with most of their ideas, produced higher quality stories, and possibly, one or two of them could have gotten a permanent higher position with Fox.  But, the problem was that Fox didn't want to pay their writers and artists much at all.  THAT was the main reason why the artwork and story writing was so poor.  No one wanted to put a lot of thinking, or drawing time into stories for slave wages.

Pussy Katnip - "The Cat's Meow"
I think it's funny that an anthropomorphic "Cat-person" hates the sound of cats howling.  But that "joke" can't carry a story.  This is really a weird one, with an illogical plot.  The gangster with a nightclub next door to hers tries to put her out of business by playing loud music inside HIS club???  Wouldn't that ruin HIS business, too???  Then, to top the zaniness off, Pussy becomes a super-heroine, by drinking a magic "Katnip Fizz", which transforms her into a super-strong "crime-fighting Feline".  This 3-page story is way too short, and thus, choppy, to develop what could have been a nice plot, if thought out reasonably, and the super-hero element is dropped.  Pussy's regular character, being a bold, street-wise, tough, no-nonsense sharp cookie, is already fine for being a nightclub owner, who can deal with gangster types.  I don't get why Fox, who had lots of 130-200-page books allowed Len Short only 3 pages for his stories.  Or, maybe that's all he could produce by deadline times?  His art certainly looks amateurish.  If he could only produce so little, Fox shouldn't have used so many of his 3-page "stories" or episodes.  That is too little room to portray the plot he chooses for them.  He'd have been better served to produce half the stories at 6 or 7 page size.

Snooky
Snooky is a little girl whose magic teddy bear (who comes to life to take her on adventures) is her best friend. Being romantic, Snooky notices there are no stars in the clear sky for lovers to view.  She rides on her rocket up to The Moon, to get The Man in The Moon some pie, to make him sleep, so he can let the stars out again. Another 3-page single gag driven "story", for really young kids.  I never understood why Fox and so many other early 1940s publishers mixed little children's stories in with their other genres in the same books, aimed at teens, late teens, and, even possibly some adult readers.

Sis and Jr.
2-page gag that's not funny and makes no sense. 

Prof. Nudnik
Silly 1-page gag that makes no sense, and so, isn't funny.  I didn't like such attempts at humour in the 1940s, and I still don't.

Karrots
Yet another 3-page gag-driven, boring, unfunny, poorly-drawn so-called "story".  Wow!  Could they have come up with anything worse???

Mike The MP
Decent gag, but pretty illogical, because the MP's oral testimony would have been enough to convict the bully.

Gussie The Gob
Sentimental little vignette.  Not much to it.  Not funny.  Heartwarming, I suppose.  But, is that what kids are looking for in a comic book?

Red Kamphor
Terrible "Story"! Why would someone try to portray such a story plot in just 2 pages.  We never see the poor family in their miserable plight, so we can identify with them and feel empathy.  We don't have time to build up hatred and disgust for the bully Red Kamphor.  He's the billed "star".  Yet, he has only a slight part in this story.  What little space the author has to show anything is wasted on inane attempts at dialogue.  Totally ridiculous.

Crime in No. 9
Again, a paltry 3 pages to tell a story.  Fairly inventive idea of a formula that can shrink a human temporarily, who can be used to commit a crime.  I'd have wanted an 8 to 10-page story for this plot, to be able to build in background, make the characters funnier, show motivations, build up suspense, show a great splash panel scene in the climax, etc.  I'd have added an unexpected ending that is more funny than that one.

Green Mask
A mild mannered, well meaning young teen hates crime and wrongdoing so much that when he sees it, he screams "Eeeyow!" and that magically transforms him into a fully mature, stronger "Champion of The Oppressed" - The Green Mask! - completely with a cost free caped uniform, which materialises onto his body (and may not need to be cleaned and pressed!).  Where have I heard such a story before?  Shazam!  Silly that the clearance atop a train car and below the tunnels or bridges is so very narrow that people lying absolutely flat atop the car roof would be killed by hitting the ceiling.  So The Green Mask has to jump from the car all the way to the top of the bridge, and the girl succeeds in accomplishing that, as well.  Not remotely believable.  Then, after the train passes, they both jump down to the roof of the fast-moving train.  Again, not believable.  A farmer named "Plough"!  I bet he listened to a lot of razzing in his time.  WOW!  What suspense.  The villain exposing a bunch of kids to radio-active radium!  And Green Mask uses his super sppeed and strength to plough all Mr. Plough's fields fast!  Amazing help to The USA's War effort on The Home Front!  Makes one proud to be an American!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 08:01:33 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 03:46:31 AM »

Thankfully this is All Good Comics, who knows what we would have gotten in All Mediocre Comics.  ;)

The Borrowed Eye - Goofy fun.

S.O.S. From Mars - Well, it had potential...

The Prison In The Sky - I'm wondering if the writer spent as much time writing this story as I did reading it?

The Bleeding Statue - The story itself is okay, but, man, what a complicated mess the hero is. He has a V on his chest which stands for Puppeteer. He doesn't use puppets in his superhero identity, but he makes puppets in his civilian identity. (No one will ever make the connection despite neither wearing a mask or glasses or anything.) He transforms using a magic organ, and... oh, yeah, he has a talking raven as a sidekick. Wow.

Red Robbins and "Speed" Karr - Ugh.

The Medical Murderer - Well, the doctor doesn't really murder anyone, does he? The only death in the story is from a car crash. A so-so story.

The Case Of The Vanishing Gems! - Ehhhh...

The O'Brine Twins - Deliver me from writers who think they are wacky.

Betty Boyd - Rushed storytelling.

The Purple Tigress - Don't bother with masks to hide the heroine's identity, the readers are stupid and won't care. *Sigh* Otherwise okay.

Connie - Not as good as some Connie stories I've read.

Wires Down - Eh. With a name like Titan you'd expect a superhero costume to go with the superhero-esque name, but no.

Percy - Eh.

The Cat's Meow! - Eh. Weird that a furry comic starring a feline has a cat's meow as a hated sound.

Snooky - Ugh. Clearly the same artist as the Pussy Katnip story.

Sis an' Jr. - Dumb.

Prof. Nudnik - Dumb.

Karrots - *Sigh*

Mike the M.P. - Ditto.

Gussie the Gob - Eh.

Red Kamphor - Wha?

Crime In No. 9 - Eh.

The Landlady - Ditto

Harvest of Horror - Bit of a Captain Marvel ripoff, but readable.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 04:49:47 AM »

I really know how to pick 'em, eh? When looking for a word to describe All Good Comics, "stinks" sprang to my lips. This collection is like a compilation of all the stuff that Victor Fox thought wasn't good enough for his regular comics line.

The original material displays all the weaknesses of Fox comics: generic characters, incoherent stories, awful dialogue, shoddy production, and dreadful artwork, taken to the next lower level.

The Bouncer is about the best thing in the book, which speaks volumes about the book. I understand how the Bouncer loses his powers but I don't understand what those powers are. Note how the artist uses a bunch of skinny arrows to show movement direction. A future storyboard artist? Nowadays the villain would become a pharmaceutical company CEO and get what he wants without needing to shoot people or drop them into a giant anus. On the last page the hospital is named "Siege General Hospital." Could this refer to Robert Siege (real name Robert Sale), who drew a lot of comics is the 50s? I know it's a long stretch.

So Rick Evans and Stringbean (or "Strinbean," as he's called once) share a bed with the result that Stringbean receives the mental message meant for Rick. Early "gay interest" material. Whoever wrote this mess was overpaid. To his credit he gave us a "compulsion ray," a "gravity belt," and the caption, "Space parts before a shaft of interplanetary thought!" Did I miss something or did Astra's ring appear entirely ex machina to save Rick's interstellar bacon on the last page?

Everyone has already analyzed The Puppeteer. SuperScrounge sums it up. In the splash panel I'd swear the villain is marking the Due Date on Helen's forehead with an old-fashioned librarian's stamp.

The Imagine That pages are better drawn than most of the stuff in this book.

Red Robbins reads like a comic fan's first creative attempt. "His socks are like bolts of lightning." My dad's socks were like that. Mom made him take them off in the back porch and toss them immediately into the washer. Among all the offensive racial caricatures in Golden Age comics, Speed Karr scrapes the bottom of the barrel. What's with the "wiggle lines" when he moves? Are they "slow lines" to remind us this gimmick worked better in films? The second Red Robbins story was marginally better than the first.

The story in Dick Transom is mostly a frame on which to hang some ancient jokes.

The O'Brine Twins are awful. However I really dig their Streamline-style logo!

Betty Boyd was more typical GA stuff. Nothing to write home about. The story is disjointed.

The Purple Tigress is okay for a swimsuit action heroine, but what's with those bizarre suitors?

In the middle of all this chaff we unexpectedly find an episode of Connie! Beautiful Godwin artwork, as usual, with an interesting story that seems to be going somewhere when suddenly It All Turns Out to Be a Dream! I think the syndicate editor tired of the story and ordered the writer to end it immediately. Good fun, though, and a welcome respite from all the Good Comics.

Titan is just a hard-fisted troubleshooter despite the superheroic name. There's the germ of an interesting story here. Telephone linemen haven't got much love in comics. But I can't make sense of the motive. The villains want "to blow up the U. S. air transport" but all they do is cut phone lines. When the villain thinks he's won he says, "The government will be glad to return the transports to us any minute now." I get the impression that the writer knew what he was talking about but wasn't able to express it.

Percy: blecch.

Pussy Katnip wins points for weird, as she has in other appearances, but the story's for the birds. I think we can excuse Pussy's hatred of meowing cats because she isn't really a cat. She and the dogs, etc., around her are the "people" in the story. It's the same thing as Donald Duck going duck hunting. In Donald's world Ducks and ducks are different species. I don't understand the closing gag. Are we supposed to know where the glowing kittens came from?

Snooky, drawn by the same artist as Pussy Katnip, reminds us that PK isn't very well-drawn. The story is a disjointed mess.

A series of forgettable short humor features follows. I forget what they were.

"Red " Kamphor is another nominee for the WTF award. Kamphor is the title character (he appears in other Fox comics) but all he does is get knocked out. Who or what are Inny and Inky? They look like ghosts.

Following some more unfunny humor, The Green Mask brings the collection to its long-overdue end. Like The Bouncer, The Green Mask rises to "typical Golden Age" level. Amusing to have the hero trigger his alter ego by screaming. But does he always return to human form by falling asleep? That could be awkward if The Green Mask wrapped up a case atop a skyscraper or on the wing of an airplane.

More than one of these stories boast impressive splash pages, after which the story art turns bad and gets worse with every page. It reminds me of Graphic Story Magazine's interview with Harry Harrison. Harrison described that when he and Wallace Wood turned in a story, Victor Fox would only look at the first couple of pages. So they'd put their best into the first two story pages and crap the rest out--thus making up for Fox's rock-bottom page rates.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 07:12:29 AM »

I really know how to pick 'em, eh? When looking for a word to describe All Good Comics, "stinks" sprang to my lips. This collection is like a compilation of all the stuff that Victor Fox thought wasn't good enough for his regular comics line.*

The original material displays all the weaknesses of Fox comics: generic characters, incoherent stories, awful dialogue, shoddy production, and dreadful artwork, taken to the next lower level.

Harrison described that when he and Wallace Wood turned in a story, Victor Fox would only look at the first couple of pages. So they'd put their best into the first two story pages and crap the rest out--thus making up for Fox's rock-bottom page rates.**

*Based on The Fox publications with which I am most familiar(funny animal and general comedy, I must admit), i feel that the artwork in Fox's regular series was pretty similar to the artwork in this book (e.g. not better enough to make a noticeable difference).

**Now I understand why Fox's art is so terrible!  I always wondered why it was so bad.  I thought their artists might have all been drawing with their off (bad) hands!  :D  Even Holly Chambers drawing while high on drugs drew several levels above their level.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 12:52:50 PM »

Robb K, the Bouncer's origin appears in issue 11 of The Bouncer.

I believe the character was created & written by Robert Kanigher, who later became a writer and editor for DC Comics. He tells the story of meeting Fox by walking into his office and being asked, "What makes you think you can write comics!" & he made up a story about a skeleton driving a car & Fox hired him appreciating a man who can think on his feet.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 08:14:32 PM »

Robb K, the Bouncer's origin appears in issue 11 of The Bouncer.

I believe the character was created & written by Robert Kanigher, who later became a writer and editor for DC Comics. He tells the story of meeting Fox by walking into his office and being asked, "What makes you think you can write comics!" & he made up a story about a skeleton driving a car & Fox hired him appreciating a man who can think on his feet.

I'm disgusted by that, but not surprised.  One can tell by the product Fox put out that he had a condescending attitude towards his main client audience (children ages 7 to 13), and he far underestimated their intelligence and taste.  It's clear that he thought kids (mostly boys) will buy (or ask their parents to buy) any comic book containing action stories with superheroes, cowboys, swashbuckling adventurers, hard-nosed, two-fisted detectives, space stories with alien villains, and stories about ghosts and monsters.  He didn't think they'd know the differences between stories that have a coherent plot, provide the reader with a setting and some knowledge of the heroes' and villains' character traits and motivations, and would care if the motivations are believable, and would know the difference between choppy pacing, and a moderate early pace with the background information being woven in seamlessly, and stories that have a resolution at the end and those that don't, and the reader doesn't even get to know the reason why.

Fox, like most other 1940s comic book publishers, wanted to jump on the new comic book market bandwagon, and grab the newly-available profits investing as little effort and money as possible, thinking that the difference in quality didn't matter.  As a funny animal comics fan, I don't know how sales of his other comic book series went.  But, by the late 1940s, he was completely out of the funny animal comic book business, having been clobbered by Dell's Disney, Warner Brothers, MGM, and Walter Lantz, St. John's Terrytoons, Harvey, D.C.' Fox & Crow, cartoon-based character series. That HAD to be mainly due to the low quality of the artwork and storywriting of his production crew, partly due to his low rate of pay.  That is borne out by the fact that Non-animation lines like those of Timely/Atlas, Avon, Magazine Enterprises, Standard, ACG, Fawcett, Ajax/Farrell, Archie/MLJ's Super Duck, Quality(Marmaduke Mouse/Egbert) and others were able to last still making profits, until 1953-1956 when their publishers went out of business when their most profitable lines were deemed unsuitable for children.

I. myself, trying to make a career in the comic book drawing field would have always drawn my best, no matter how little the pay, because having poor drawing out in front of the public to see, would come back to haunt me.  Despite the books having no credits, people would find out who drew given stories.  I started in the 1970s, so it was different then from the 1940s, and we probably had more illustration, advertising, and animation jobs available, so it was different.  Still, I can't imagine doing poor work just to make a little money.

If I were the editor, I would have asked the aspiring story writer to show me some examples of stories he had already written.  If he had none to show me, I'd have handed him one of my firm's printed comic books from each of my line's main genres (Superhero, Western, Crime Drama. War Combat, Science Fiction, Comedy, Romance, and Horror), and asked him to write story scenarios for four of them, with a description of what happens on each page, as well as rough storyboards for his favourite genre of the four.  If I would like the ideas in the four scenarios, and the dialogues, story pacing and other story element in the storyboarded story were to my liking, and I had room to take on another story writer, I'd buy the storyboarded story, and hire him as a writer. If it would be unacceptable as is but could be fixed up, I'd write notes on it, hand it back for him to fix, and accept it when fixed, and take him on on a trial, story by story.  If it would be too far away from acceptable, and cost too much time and effort to fix it, I'd tell him to work on his writing and approach publishers again after getting his stories up to snuff.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 05:46:43 AM »

I'm boosting this thread back to the top, because I've added reviews of several more of "All Good Comics" ' stories to my original review post, and modifying doesn't bounce the thread back to current.  I hope you will all read my thoughts on the stories and artists' work.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 03:09:47 AM »

For the record, Connie was a newspaper strip (1929-1941) distributed by the minor-league Ledger Syndicate. At different times the Sunday pages were gag-a-day strips or serialized stories. The Sunday continuities had storylines separate from the dailies. I haven't seen the story reprinted here, but based on Connies I have seen, each comic page reprints one Sunday page. The panels have been re-lettered, though a couple of balloons show the spindly lettering of the originals. I like Connie a lot. Godwin's artwork is great and many stories, especially the science-fiction ones, offered unique ideas. However I confess the writing wasn't that hot. Scripts were supposedly provided by a relative--Godwin's uncle? I don't remember. They were often choppy and this isn't the first time a story came to a sudden end. However this continuity comes to such a sudden conclusion that I think there had to have been editorial interference.
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2020, 05:24:17 AM »

I wouldn't have paid a nickel for a book featuring a superhero wearing a purple toga and sandals   - hard to believe the creator of the Bouncer went on to create Sgt. Rock.  An entertaining read.  Thanks crash.       
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2020, 09:01:26 AM »

Point taken - but technically he's wearing a tunic not a toga - standard dress (sic) for men right up until the middle ages. Underneath, you wore a loincloth (much like a baby's nappy)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

lyons

message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2020, 07:37:39 PM »

Either way, Andrew999, the superhero looks as if he's bounding around in a short house dress - and definitely would not have attracted the majority of adolescent boys.  I would not have paid a penny.   

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2020, 06:38:01 PM »

Me neither as it happens
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2020, 04:00:18 AM »

On a related topic, it surprised me to find out just how many Golden Age heroes regularly appeared shirtless. From which, it occurs to me, Did the comic code stipulate that characters should always wear shirts? [and no togas allowed? - except in Historic epics?] Come to think of it, I also don't remember too many blondes in red dresses and high heels in distress in the Silver age! [I've had a tiring day!]
Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 08:02:09 AM »

The Wikipedia entry on this appears very comprehensive and fascinating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comics_Code_Authority

I'd never really given the code much thought but some of the restrictions in retrospect seem bizarre - the very first would disallow long-standing British anti-heroes such as Raffles, Charlie Peace, Reilly Ace of Spies and so on.

No permission for young people to criticise authority? Are you kidding? That's a first step towards fascism

No vampires? The staple horror monster since Sumerian times?

I could go on but what's the point - this was clearly produced by spineless boneheads
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 08:19:02 PM »

Some of those rules,such as

"No comic magazine shall use the words "horror" or "terror" in its title.
All scenes of horror, excessive bloodshed, gory or gruesome crimes, depravity, lust, sadism, masochism shall not be permitted.
All lurid, unsavory, gruesome illustrations shall be eliminated."

Were most likely aimed at EC Comics.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »

In the early 60's I was perusing the stacks of vintage used comics, 5 cent each three for a dime IIRC, at a shoe repair and used clothing store next to my uncle's dry cleaning establishment.
One book I noticed was in excellent condition, printed on heavy fashion magazine type paper with fine quality artwork you might expect in a children's hard back story book.

The story reminds me of the animated movie "ANTZ", with waring ant kingdoms. I figured it might be harmless fun read for my little brother. Fortunately I leafed through it before buying it. I've never before or since run across such ghastly graphic depictions of rape, murder, torture, incest, genocide, what have you, though I'm sure there are a few Japanese comics that are in the same class.

Edited to change 80's (typo) to 60's.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 04:16:53 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »

In the early 80's I was perusing the stacks of vintage used comics, 5 cent each three for a dime IIRC, at a shoe repair and used clothing store next to my uncle's dry cleaning establishment.

What an amazing bargain!  Sold new for 10 cents in 1940, and still only 5 cents 40-50 years later.  When I was young, in the 1940s and early 1950s, used comic books were 5 cents Canadian $ ($1.04 US)-so 5.04 US cents. Back in the late 1940s, I got most of the issues from series back to the beginning of the 1940s.  I suppose I could have scarfed up  complete 1930s, as well, if I'd have wanted to (and had enough nickles.  Back then, 5 cents went a LOT further than it does today!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 07:28:17 PM »

Getting back directly on topic........We seem to have lost momentum here.  It seems that we've skipped 2 weeks.  I guess everyone has lives to lead, and are very busy.  Because of The Corona Virus, I'm trapped inside my sister's house in Los Angeles, for the present, indefinite period, and daren't try to return to The Netherlands by air or sea due to the travel bottlenecks, and fear of being exposed, as I'm in the highest risk 75+ age group.  So, I'm willing to choose a Comic Book Plus book to review, if none of the regular (official?) choosers want to do that small job.  Being a relative newcomer, I suppose I'll need to read through the entire list of reviewed books, to avoid a repetition.  But, I'm willing to do that, if no one else here wants to choose one.

Let me know.

Robb
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:26:58 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2020, 12:02:51 AM »

Great Minds think alike - or fools never differ? I was just about to post the same request, for the same reasons. Suggest you PM Crash first.And check its OK with him.   I suspect he has had other things on his mind.
Looking forward to the next one. Maybe we could have a group of us to do a month - is it a month? each as a round robin? I have some new ideas. 

Also, with the norm being that people are discouraged from face to face contact, maybe we could start threads in the 'About Comics' section to get some discussions going?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2020, 01:45:07 AM »

Great Minds think alike - or fools never differ? I was just about to post the same request, for the same reasons. Suggest you PM Crash first.And check its OK with him.   I suspect he has had other things on his mind.
Looking forward to the next one. Maybe we could have a group of us to do a month - is it a month? each as a round robin? I have some new ideas. 

Also, with the norm being that people are discouraged from face to face contact, maybe we could start threads in the 'About Comics' section to get some discussions going?

That all sounds good.  Why don't you go ahead and choose the next book, or PM Crash to ask if it's OK.  I can sneak in some time to read stories and comment on them, but I'm dealing with some time consuming work-related issues right now(related to the Virus public shutdowns in Denmark, Germany and The Netherlands); and adding looking through all the previous Reading Group Threads to make sure I'm choosing an un-evaluated book, as well as looking through the publishers to find a good candidate to my sneaking in the book reading and comments posting time, would be really time consuming, as I'm a perfectionist.  I should have quite a bit more free time after 3-4 more days, and I could choose the following book.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2020, 05:52:41 AM »

Characters like Betty Boyd make me realize how inclined Fox was to have tough civilian women, along with Patty O
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2020, 04:38:33 PM »

Just to be different and also showing my lack of taste, I almost enjoyed a couple of things in this book.  I was aware of The Bouncer and, as a fan of odd, obscure superheroes, It was an interesting read. Odd powers and I need to have a look at the origin. Daft enough to keep me reading.
My first encounter with The Puppeteer was in an IW reprint title.  Liking the costume, I just couldn't figure out why he used Puppeteer as a superhero name.  but G.A. stories were often illogical.  I liked the look of this story, not the art which, imo, is not great but the V Beam is intriguing, and he looked almost good travelling with it.
I'm not a fan of the short funnies and I left them alone. The other stories are basic to bad, again imo.
But what did appeal was finding The Purple Tigress, a new heroine to me.  Can't comment on the colour as I don't see colours that well.
I love crappy superheroes.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 12:51:42 AM »

I got to looking back over the comments here and caught The Panther's reference to shirtless heroes. There certainly weren't many shirtless men in Silver Age comics. I don't think it was written into the Code, though. It's funny that when men did appear topless they never had nipples. This was true even in the Golden Age. On the other hand shirted Golden Age women often did  ::) Guys also seldom had chest or even arm hair. I remember seeing a Kirby story in the 60s in which the inker gave Nick Fury arm hair. I was surprised at how surprised I was seeing this. Who drew the first Marvel Age man-nipples? I recall Barry Smith drew odd little circles.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.