in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comic Book Plus Reading Group - Lives on

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comic Book Plus Reading Group - Lives on  (Read 894 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Comic Book Plus Reading Group - Lives on
« on: March 18, 2020, 10:15:54 AM »

For those who have been waiting for the next choice for the reading book. There has been a change.
Robb_K and myself are going to continue the group together. CrashRyan has other commitments which prevent him from continuing with it. So - before we start I would like to pay homage to those who have gone before us. If you go through the posts you will see that Mark Warner - in consultation with a group of those who then were most committed to CB+  - started the ball rolling. And Mark chose reading for us from Jan 2014 to May 2018.  Above and beyond the call of duty. Thank you Mark. He was followed by Kracalactaka, movielover and Crashryan. Big shoes to fill. 
I don't intend to post a choice today, just to make an announcement and whet your appetite.
At this point in time, I am thinking that I will wait till either the last day in March or the first day in April to post, and then Robb and I can keep to a monthly schedule. If you think we should have a quicker turnover, like every three weeks, make your opinion known.
Robb and I have different interests, so expect a good variety of posts. For myself, I see this as an opportunity to promote and highlight items from the more arcane [Arcane adj. mysterious;secret;obscure.] corners of CB+. There are really some amazing items on this site.
The Forum posts on this site are a treasure in themselves. For the Reading Group posts, if you go back over the posts you will find a valuable eclectic selection of comics and some stimulating and entertaining analysis.
You will get a pop-up warning if you want to add to the very old posts, but if you feel the urge,  please do.
So from Robb and I, happy reading. And lets hear from you.   

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
Re: Comic Book Plus Reading Group - Lives on
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 06:13:52 PM »

Perfect - thanks, guys!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 06:06:20 PM »

After week 200 I posted a list of genres, countries and publishers we've read.

Thank you.  It does help as a general Guide.  I might leave it to the members on this thread to let me know if I choose a book that has already been reviewed.  I will try to choose a wide variety of genres and interesting stories that are off the common path of crankout "copycat" styles publishers threw out on the market, which were created by non-inspired writers and artists.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 11:13:18 PM »

You can also pick multiple books for comparisons, like two books that show how similar concepts are handled or how a feature changed over time.

A quick glance through the list and I didn't see any of the old comic strip collected books (the original "comic books"). Admittedly we don't have a lot of those (yet), but there are several possibilities under Cupples and Leon https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2089
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 01:16:27 AM »

You can also pick multiple books for comparisons, like two books that show how similar concepts are handled or how a feature changed over time.

A quick glance through the list and I didn't see any of the old comic strip collected books (the original "comic books"). Admittedly we don't have a lot of those (yet), but there are several possibilities under Cupples and Leon https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=2089

Do you mean comparing daily or Sunday newspaper individual strip pages to collected strips reformatted in later printings as intact, flowing, full stories in later-printed comic books?  Such as "Smitty", "Elmo", Gottfredson's 1930-1955 continuation Mickey Mouse stories, etc?

I wish we could do "Elmo", but Comic Book Plus has neither the entire run of "Elmo" daily strips, nor the St. John comic book, collecting the best portion of his strip's run.  Do you know if "Elmo" is PD?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 12:00:27 PM »

Well, those two paragraphs were meant to be two separate thoughts, but I suppose a comparison between the original comic strips vs. a later original comic story featuring those characters could be interesting.

Sorry for the confusion. My mind tends to jump from idea to idea and I sometimes forget to make it clear I'm talking about something else.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 09:33:56 PM »

Scrouge, sounds like youv'e cloned my brain!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.