in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Woman Comic Book Artists

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

topic icon Author Topic: Woman Comic Book Artists  (Read 12997 times)

Electricmastro

message icon
Re: Woman Comic Book Artists
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2020, 04:59:23 PM »

Fran Hopper (Planet Comics, 1945-1947):

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2020, 06:57:25 PM »

Claire Moe (Wonderworld Comics #33, January 1942):

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2020, 03:33:28 AM »

Wow, Mysta is hot. Not just the figure but the poses.
Pretty advanced ideas in sci fi adventures for the time frame.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2020, 02:09:42 AM »

Jill Elgin (All-New Comics, 1943-1945):

ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2020, 01:03:59 PM »

Jean Press was not an artist, but worked in comics as a writer and editor from circa 1942 to 1955. She is credited with writing the third installment of Madame Strange in Great Comics #3 (Jan 1942). [She may also have written the first two stories.]

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26514

The villain of the piece is called The Octopus. Madame Strange seeks to stop the evil plans of The Octopus, who has decided now to seize American planes for his Emperor. He reminds me of Prof. Octopus, the captain of a high-powered submarine and foe of Magno and Davey in Four Favorites #1 (1941). Although the respective artists rendered the two characters very differently, the similarity in name and certain plot points makes me wonder if The Octopus wasn
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2020, 06:20:09 PM »

The fantastic Nell Brinkley needs to be added to this list. Even though she's produced mainly illustrative comic content for newspapers, I believe she deserves a place here. She's one of the artists in my inspirational catalogue and as you see below, there's a lot of reason why. She boldly displays an original, signature style that played a big role in the depiction of 'Flapper girls' of that day. With bold sweeps, fluid curves and absolute character infused into the lines, her work speaks for itself.
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »

African American illustrator Jackie Ormes also needs to be added as well. Although primarily a comic strip artist, her great characterizations, brilliant capture of the female form and clean, expressive line work showcase her artistic talent exceptionally well. She could give Matt Baker a serious run for his money in depicting long, leggy, curvaceous ladies! Ormes also produced the first realistic-looking African-American doll based on her comic creation Patty-Jo, in conjunction with the Teri Lee doll company in 1947.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2020, 01:42:38 AM »

Ghost man, excellent finds.
I'd like to see a collection of 'Patty-Jo and Ginger.
Here are a few
https://slate.com/human-interest/2013/08/patty-jo-n-ginger-the-ground-breaking-african-american-cartoon-of-the-1940s.html
She was not only a good draftswoman but a clever writer with a sharp mind.  Look at those one panels and the Easter eggs you can find in those.
This link examines some of her "Patty Jo and Ginger' one pages in detail.
https://interminablerambling.com/2017/01/12/2450/ 
There are 4 articles on Jackie Ormes on this site. All worth reading. 
And here is some info on one of her other strips, 'Torchy in Heartbeats'
https://library.osu.edu/site/cartoons/tag/patty-jo-and-ginger/

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2020, 02:01:45 AM »

Some more on Nell Brinkley.
Here is a Nell Brinkley site - apparently set up by Trina Robbins.
https://cartoons.osu.edu/digital_albums/nellbrinkley/index.php
This is to be found on this site,
The Billy Ireland Cartoon Library and Museum
https://cartoons.osu.edu/
Which is a real find, and will be of interest to many who surf CB+.
Ghost Man - I suggest you add it to the links on your site, if you have't already!
Here is a page of Nell Brinkley images on Pinterest.
https://www.pinterest.com.au/bobwale/nell-brinkley/ 

This is probably the best site I've found for Nell Brinkley images - scrumptious full size images - and also a site which is deserving of highlighting and spending more time on.
https://www.dbdowd.com/illustration-history/2015/11/13/nell-brinkley

DBDowd.com - Graphic non-fictiion.  [Drawing the social landscape. Writing on Visual Culture]
https://www.dbdowd.com/
Going to spend some time there now!
Another one for you I think Ghost Man?     

Ghost Man, you have made my day! You can't see it, but there is a smile on my face. 

ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2020, 04:50:30 PM »

Thanks AP, great links I will be going through them all very shortly. Glad you enjoyed the contributions, but wait... There's still more!

This list would not be complete without the dynamic Ethel Hays! Another of my vintage illustration virtual teachers, Hays work is brilliant with an elegant style, great draftsmanship and thoughtful detailing. The expression she put into her lines is what put her on the map and she was another comic strip artist who promoted and elevated Flappers into modern culture. I can see some of her signature style in Adolphe Barreaux's illustrations so he too must have been a big fan.

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2020, 10:11:02 PM »

Marcia Snyder (Jungle Comics, 1944-1945):

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2020, 10:30:14 PM »

Karen Karol (Fight Comics #28, October 1943):

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2020, 10:51:28 PM »

Barbara Hall (Green Hornet Comics #10, December 1942):

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2020, 04:11:59 AM »

Electricmastro, I think you are creating a thread that may become some sort of touchstone for persons wanting to research Golden Age female artists. Great Stuff.
i'm going to enjoy seeing how many more you can find. If they are our there, you can find them.

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2020, 05:44:25 AM »

Electricmastro, I think you are creating a thread that may become some sort of touchstone for persons wanting to research Golden Age female artists. Great Stuff.
i'm going to enjoy seeing how many more you can find. If they are our there, you can find them.

The Women in Comics wiki, GCD, and previous lists compiled by people such as Trina Robbins really helped out. I imagine entering female first names on GCD would help as well.

Serene Summerfield (Wow
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 05:50:07 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2020, 06:21:39 AM »

Gloria Kamen (Thrilling Comics #14, March 1941):

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2020, 06:27:46 AM »

WoW - now that's a bit special. Great find, EM - imagine if she'd had a decent finisher and colourer
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2020, 06:30:12 AM »

Ouch! The Blonde Bomber deserves a series all of her own!
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2020, 06:32:39 AM »

Oh boy! Now you're talking - Camilla, Queen of the Jungle - lovely colours here
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #44 on: July 20, 2020, 06:44:24 AM »

Peggy Schulte, which has both her art and picture shown in Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact #131 (November 6, 1952). I presume she was about 13 when she drew this, but I felt it was worth showing nonetheless:

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 06:49:48 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2020, 07:46:35 AM »

African American illustrator Jackie Ormes also needs to be added as well. Although primarily a comic strip artist, her great characterizations, brilliant capture of the female form and clean, expressive line work showcase her artistic talent exceptionally well. She could give Matt Baker a serious run for his money in depicting long, leggy, curvaceous ladies! Ormes also produced the first realistic-looking African-American doll based on her comic creation Patty-Jo, in conjunction with the Teri Lee doll company in 1947.

I looked up this artist and her work and found most of her characters looked very much like her.
Either she used herself as a model or perhaps a close relative.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 10:01:59 PM »

Came across a
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2020, 01:32:04 AM »

From Who
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2020, 01:35:44 AM »

"Ann Brewster" was the pen-name of Shirley Sonya Zweifach, who was born in New York City on November 20, 1918. In June of 1937 Shirley Sonya Zweifach graduated from Mount Vernon High School, where she was awarded a scholarship to attend Cooper Union Art School in NYC. In June of 1941 Shirley Sonya Zweifach graduated from Cooper Union. In 1942 "Ann Brewster" was twenty-six years old, when she was hired to work in the Binder Comic Shop. The studio was operated by Jack Binder. He supplied comics to publishers, such as Fawcett, Marvel, and Street & Smith. In 1944 "Ann Brewster" joined the Iger Studio, located at 1619 Broadway, between 49th Street and 50th Street. The Iger Studio supplied material for such publishers as Quality Comics, Holyoke, and Gilberton's Classics Illustrated. In 1948 "Ann Brewster" worked for Ace Publications, where she did romance art. Shirley Sonya Zweifach died at the age of eighty-six on July 9, 2005 in NYC.
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2020, 01:40:33 AM »

I drew backgrounds [for Fiction House]. Eventually, they tried me out on a feature, which was one nobody wanted to do:
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.