in house dollar bill thumbnail
Comic Book Plus In-House Image
 Total: 42,911 books
 New: 93 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?  (Read 10571 times)

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?
« on: February 25, 2010, 04:08:44 AM »

Since the last couple of weeks, I haven't had any luck with Freddyfly scans that are in the "compressed (zipped) folder format."  The cbr's and cbz's work ok, but the ones that have extension "*.zip" give me an error message when I try to open them.

If I double click on the zipped folder, I get the message "The Compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted."

If I try to use the cbr reader software and open the folder by right clicking and selecting "Open With Sequential Image Display...", I get the error "The Archive is not a valid Zip archive."

If I try to Right Click and select "Open With WinRAR," it opens, but only the front cover jpeg is shown in the file list, and I get the error message "Unexpected end of Archive"

Even if you've had good results from Freddyfly scans before, can someone download one now just to see if it's just me or if it's the file itself?

For example, in the FICTION HOUSE section, can someone try to download COWGIRL ROMANCES 8?

If you can get it to open, can you please tell me the exact steps you took to open the file and start reading the book?

Thanks in advance.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 04:37:22 AM »

Since the last couple of weeks, I haven't had any luck with Freddyfly scans that are in the "compressed (zipped) folder format."  The cbr's and cbz's work ok, but the ones that have extension "*.zip" give me an error message when I try to open them.

If I double click on the zipped folder, I get the message "The Compressed (zipped) folder is invalid or corrupted."

If I try to use the cbr reader software and open the folder by right clicking and selecting "Open With Sequential Image Display...", I get the error "The Archive is not a valid Zip archive."

If I try to Right Click and select "Open With WinRAR," it opens, but only the front cover jpeg is shown in the file list, and I get the error message "Unexpected end of Archive"

Even if you've had good results from Freddyfly scans before, can someone download one now just to see if it's just me or if it's the file itself?

For example, in the FICTION HOUSE section, can someone try to download COWGIRL ROMANCES 8?

If you can get it to open, can you please tell me the exact steps you took to open the file and start reading the book?

Thanks in advance.

Hello.

Is your copy of CDisplay current? I just downloaded CR#8 and opened it with CDisplay (version 1.8.1.0.).

I stopped using WinRaR long ago. If I need to open a file that CDisplay is having problems with, I use TUGZip or IZArc and place the individual page files in a new folder that can be opened through CDisplay. One of these should address your issue. These tools also come in handy when a troublesome Mac based file is created and uploaded onto the download site.

For the record, I am having no issues with Freddy's scans, but if I were, I would do as I have suggested.

B.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 06:18:58 AM »

The latest freddyfly files were created by myself.
They are zip files renamed to cbz.  I've never had a problem with any myself.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

John C

message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 11:31:42 PM »

That sounds like you're not getting the whole file.  Do you have a download manager running?  They don't play well with the site.
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 01:07:52 AM »

I usually haven't had any real problems with Freddyfly's files. 

I have the most recent version of CDisplay.  I downloaded (without a download manager) Cowgirl Romances 8 and got "not a valid zip archive" too.  Then, I did something weird (because I'm like that) ... I renamed the file to ".cbr" (yeah, I know it should have been a "z" and not an "r" ... I was distracted by my kids) when I downloaded it a second time, which resulted in a blank screen when I opened that file.  I tried renaming the file to ".cbz" but still no joy.  Next, I extracted the file using 7-Zip, which created yet another ".cbz" file inside a folder marked "cgr8.cbz", and THAT file opened with no problems.  Now, if somebody can figure-out what I did and explain to me why it worked ...

ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 02:58:05 AM »

Thanks in advance.

Not specific to Freddyfly scans, but sometimes I just rename the ".zip" to ".cbz" and open it fine.
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2010, 03:35:05 AM »

To address some questions: I'm NOT using any download manager.  I click the "Download" link and choose "Save" just as I do with every other type of file on this site. 

I am using CDisplay 1.8.1.0

As for using another software like 7-Zip, I've had the same success with WinRAR in the past where I extract a file from an archive and it creates a folder within a folder and then the jpegs are in the last level down, so I don't know if changing my software to another Zip extractor would produce results.

It seems as though most of you did not try to download "Cowgirl Romances 8" recently however, and the person that did clearly had the exact same problem I did.  I have zip files that are NOT Freddfly from before the February 2010 server move that DO open.  It's just that since the server move, any Freddyfly zip files I try to download WON'T open.  Freddyfly cbr and cbz DO open ok, though.

Can one of the admins try to download Cowgirl Romances 8 NOW and see if it still opens properly?  When you do download the zip files, do you get the "folder with zipper" icon next to the filename also?  Just want to make sure we're getting the same zip format.

For those of you who change the extension from zip to cbr or cbz, do you do that BEFORE it downloads or do you do it AFTER it has already downloaded.  Doing it AFTER did nothing for me.

Does it matter that I use Internet Explorer 8?

Given that one other person here ALSO had the same problem, the admins should take a look because just because they worked in the past, doesn't mean they work now.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 03:50:58 AM by bakerman3 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2010, 04:20:00 AM »

To address some questions: I'm NOT using any download manager.  I click the "Download" link and choose "Save" just as I do with every other type of file on this site. 

I am using CDisplay 1.8.1.0

As for using another software like 7-Zip, I've had the same success with WinRAR in the past where I extract a file from an archive and it creates a folder within a folder and then the jpegs are in the last level down, so I don't know if changing my software to another Zip extractor would produce results.

It seems as though most of you did not try to download "Cowgirl Romances 8" recently however, and the person that did clearly had the exact same problem I did.  I have zip files that are NOT Freddfly from before the February 2010 server move that DO open.  It's just that since the server move, any Freddyfly zip files I try to download WON'T open.  Freddyfly cbr and cbz DO open ok, though.

Can one of the admins try to download Cowgirl Romances 8 NOW and see if it still opens properly?  When you do download the zip files, do you get the "folder with zipper" icon next to the filename also?  Just want to make sure we're getting the same zip format.

For those of you who change the extension from zip to cbr or cbz, do you do that BEFORE it downloads or do you do it AFTER it has already downloaded.  Doing it AFTER did nothing for me.

Does it matter that I use Internet Explorer 8?

Given that one other person here ALSO had the same problem, the admins should take a look because just because they worked in the past, doesn't mean they work now.

Thanks in advance.

Folks (if you feel that I mean you, then yes, I mean you) --

What is with the attitude?!!  ???

Not only has there been a server move, there is ONGOING tweaking and fine tuning in order to address the various problems that people are having with the site.

If you have read the thread, you will see that I DID download the file in question (recently) and posted my result.

Admin is on the job -- working their butts off. The attitude will not make anything go faster.  >:(

Please be patient and polite. Even I realize the frustrations of not being able to access files, but there is absolutely no need to be crass about it. Our Admins do so much more than we realize, I simply will not be silent on this snide attitude business.

B.
firmly annoyed...and it is okay if you do not care.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 04:31:16 AM by boox909 »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 04:21:50 AM »

Freddy,

BLESS YOU for your efforts to provide so many great scans. I appreciate it, I know that so many rely on the generosity that you and so many other of our scanners provide.

You can never be thanked enough, but these words are all I can offer at the moment.

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

bchat

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bchat
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:53 AM »

So did you try "unzipping" CGR 8 after you downloaded it?  I just downloaded Fantastic Comics 23 and ran into the same problem in that I had to mess around (rename the extension then unzip it).  Mind you, I'm not complaining because I don't really care that I have to jump through a hoop or two to get another appearance of The Black Fury.  On the other hand, this isn't a problem for just one person.

As I said, I never had a problem with any of Freddy's files before today, whether they were cbr or zip, so this is something totally new for me.  Again, it's no big deal for me because I can work around it.

I changed CGR 8 & Fantastic 23 from .zip to .cbz after downloading, then used 7-Zip to extract the files into a folder (inside the folder was a working cbz file).

Considering all the issues the site's still having (various members' Download Limits not resetting, for example), we shouldn't expect anyone to drop everything to deal with a relatively small issue.  It's something to put on the "List of Things to Look Into", but it's not "Priority Number One".

Freddy,

BLESS YOU for your efforts to provide so many great scans. I appreciate it, I know that so many rely on the generosity that you and so many other of our scanners provide.

You can never be thanked enough, but these words are all I can offer at the moment.

I totally agree with this sentiment.  Freddy's provided a ton of great books to the site for which I'm grateful to be able to read.
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 07:16:56 AM »

bchat, I did just now get a few files to work doing a variant of what you did.  For those who are also having problems, try this:

1. Click Download and click Save on the site.

2. FYI, once downloaded, the file should be "associated" with your unzip program.  In other words, the icon next to it should be that of the Unzip program rather than the generic "file folder with zipper" icon of a zip file that is unassociated with an extraction program. 

3. Using Folder Options in Windows, UNHIDE file name extensions so that they can be renamed.  To be safe, make a copy of the file you just downloaded and rename the extension from "zip" to "cbr" or "cbz" This will cause the file to associate itself with CDisplay and the file icon will change to the word balloon.  However, it still WILL NOT open with CDisplay.

4. Open the cbz file using your WinRAR, 7-Zip or whatever.

5. Opening it with WinRAR, I see one file with no file extension.  This right here is the crux of the problem.  Click the file and click "Extract to" and extract the file to the directory you want.

6. The file will now appear in the directory as a Windows Folder.  Double-clicking to open the folder shows the aforementioned single file with no extension.    You then have to rename the file to add an extension, namely "cbr"

7. Once done, the file will be associated with the CDisplay program and the file icon will change to the word balloon.

8. NOW the file can be double clicked and read with CDisplay.

9. Then, delete the original zip and the cbr/cbz copy you may have made, and you are left with the working cbr version.

By the way, I'll add my thanks to Freddyfly for all his uploads.  I was trying to call attention to a problem that seems to have affected his scans in particular, not to find fault with him personally.  Any other interpretation of my post was incorrect, and I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 07:41:33 AM by bakerman3 »
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2010, 07:29:49 AM »

Guys,
Cowgirl Romance 8 appears to me to be an un-named compressed file within another properly named compressed file.
I extracted the cgr8 file found within "cgr8.zip" and then renamed the 'cgr8' file 'cgr8.cbz' and it opened fine.

I'll reupload the corrected file as I normally do with the same formats, etc.

But Baker, are you seeing this error with ALL of the freddyfly uploads, even the latest ones?  For the last while I am the one making and uploading the cbz file for freddy while nobody but the admin could upload to the site.  If you see a short file name such as this book in question it is NOT one I made but directly from freddy.  Sorry for the troubles.

Oh I see you figured this out already.

Please let me know if you see anymore files with badly named compressed files within a normal zip/cbz file such as this Cowgirl Romance book.
I hope you enjoy the book enough to make the troubles worth it.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2010, 08:00:41 AM »

There are actually many of these files.  I've just fixed a bunch of Fawcetts using the method in my post.  The list was:

- Captain Marvel Jr 60
- Captain Marvel Jr 68
- Captain Marvel Jr 97
- Captain Marvel Jr 118
- Captain Midnight 51
- Funny Animals 2
- Hopalong Cassidy 53
- Master 94
- Master 101
- Master 117
- Mighty Midget Commando Yank
- Whiz 104
- Whiz 51
- Whiz 82
- Whiz 92
- Whiz 97
- Wow 13
- Wow 32
- Wow 64

plus a whole bunch of stuff from Fiction House beyond the Cowgirl Romances 8 that I haven't had the chance to look at yet.

Basically, all Freddyfly scans that were uploaded around the same time as the above that were done as zip format are suspect.  When I saw that Freddyfly scans weren't working, I just skipped over his stuff, so I'm sure there's much more that even I don't know about.

But at least using either one of the methods above, we can get to a working cbr version even if the files are not fixed here.

As for enjoying the books, that was never in question.  We all enjoy and appreciate the work done here.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:25:17 AM by bakerman3 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2010, 11:26:46 AM »

I believe I know what the problem was. Yoc uploaded these for Freddy. They were rar files and he changed them cbz because of the quark in the uploader that would not allow cbr. His comic reader does not have a problem reading cbr files that are mislabeled as cbz. He was surprised to find that mine will not read them if mislabeled. I have had to rezip several files from cbr to rar to zip to cbz to get them to upload and be usable. When I informed him that mine would not read cbr mislabeled as cbz he switched. So it is not the scans that are bad. When time allows we can get those reupped as cbr.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »

I've fixed the site's weird 'we wont allow CBR uploads' problem so sorry about those you listed bakerman.
If you ever wanted to reupload your corrected files let me know in a PM and we can arrange something.

Otherwise if you could leave a COMMENT about the problem in the comments section for each we'd be grateful.
I've got a lot on my plate at the moment.

Thanks again for your list,
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2010, 11:12:22 PM »

AFTER I download a .zip or .rar file, I just rename it to .cbz or .cbr respectively. I've used CDisplay for a long time and it's always worked. Some files may be damaged, but sometimes re-downloading them fixes the problem.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 12:29:31 AM »

I should like added something to the FAQ about renaming files if they don't open.  I'm just used to them all working.

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2010, 03:04:14 AM »

AFTER I download a .zip or .rar file, I just rename it to .cbz or .cbr respectively. I've used CDisplay for a long time and it's always worked. Some files may be damaged, but sometimes re-downloading them fixes the problem.

It isn't the download process that's causing the problem in these cases; it's that the zip file has a file within it that is improperly named in that the "interior" file has no extension.  Therefore, even if you rename the outer zip file to cbr or cbz, CDisplay still won't open the file. 

You have to open the outer zip file after you rename the extension to cbr and then extract the file and then go into the extracted file and add the cbr extension to get it to open with CDisplay.  The more detailed procedure is in my post on the first page of this thread.

ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »

OK, here's some more files to add to the list on the first page of this thread.  These are all from FICTION HOUSE and most are Freddyfly scans.

COWGIRL ROMANCES 1,5

JUMBO COMICS 10,26,36,46,49,52corrected,57,84,94,95,120,125,136,139,142,144,150,151,152,155

ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2010, 03:43:57 AM »

Thanks for adding to the list bakerman.

I just tried Jumbo 84 and it had no file inside without a file name extension like the Cowboy Romance from our earlier discussion.  It was strictly jpgs inside and it worked just fine for me when I tried it with both Winzip and CDisplay.

???
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 03:46:51 AM by Yoc »
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2010, 04:40:11 AM »

Thanks for adding to the list bakerman.

I just tried Jumbo 84 and it had no file inside without a file name extension like the Cowboy Romance from our earlier discussion.  It was strictly jpgs inside and it worked just fine for me when I tried it with both Winzip and CDisplay.

???

Can't remember about Jumbo 84 specifically, but I don't remember opening any archive with a bunch of jpegs, so maybe it downloaded correctly as a cbr to begin with.  Did it download as zip for you or cbr?  If it downloaded as zip, then I definitely saw a file inside the archive with no extension and added it in my download.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2010, 07:26:34 AM »

It's a zip with jpgs only, nothing else.

I'll send you a private message on this.
-Yoc
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 08:40:17 AM »

Latest list of Freddyfly scans that need to be fixed by adding a file extension to the file inside the zip archive:

From Fiction House

JUMBO COMICS 64,88,97,100,109,117,122,138,145

JUNGLE COMICS 11,30,31,34,35,48,53,55,59,61,63,66,67,71,74,75,76,77,78,79,82,83,108,113 (freddyfly issue),117,119,123,129,130,146,151
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

Thanks Bakerman. Are all of these in zip or rar format?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 01:57:10 PM by narfstar »
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:45 PM »

Thanks Bakerman. Are all of these in zip or rar format?

They outer archives were all in zip format, and the inner file had no extension, which were then extracted and renamed to add the cbr extension. 

I know people often rename zips to cbz, but adding the cbr extension worked just fine for me.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:38:46 PM by bakerman3 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.