in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?  (Read 10557 times)

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Are all FREDDYFLY scans damaged?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:43 PM »

You actually do not have to open them first. If you have you setting to see extensions just add .cbr or change .zip to .cbr
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: bakerman3
message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »

You actually do not have to open them first. If you have you setting to see extensions just add .cbr or change .zip to .cbr

The problem with that is that, for these particular files at least, neither WinRAR nor CDisplay will allow the files to be read even though changing zip to cbr will correctly associate the file with CDisplay.  They will STILL give an error message that the archive is not valid.

That's because the inner file has NO extension in any of the files in my lists above.  So while the outer zip can be renamed to cbr or cbz, CDisplay won't pick up any images from the inner file because since the inner file has no file extension, it won't be associated with CDisplay or ANY software program for that matter.  As I stated in my big 9-step explanation, that's the crux of the problem with these particular zip files.

It's something Yoc and I have discussed a lot as you can see from this thread, and he agrees with the problem and the solution.  Try one for yourself and see!  We were really scratching our heads for awhile as to what was going on with the above-mentioned scans.  Interestingly enough, we actually figured it out independently and then compared notes!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 10:50:09 PM by bakerman3 »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »

I tried different ones from you Jumbo/Jungle list and they all showed up with an extension that I could change.
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 11:14:55 PM »

I tried different ones from you Jumbo/Jungle list and they all showed up with an extension that I could change.

Once you changed the zip to cbr or cbz were you then able to open it with CDisplay and read them properly or did you have to extract the inner file to add a cbr extension?

Also, what zip program do you use?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 11:24:34 PM »

they all showed up with a .zip extension. Changing it to .cbz worked fine in cdisplay. I think the problem is that some are really zip and others really cbr. Yoc was making everything cbz because the cbr would not upload at the time. He did not think it mattered. I did not have to use any zip program after changing the extensions. I do however use peazip for other things. Which may be your problem. Cdisplay accesses you archive program. Your archive program may not be able to handle rar files
ip icon Logged

colescomics

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: colescomics
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »

Thanks for this thread. It solved an issue I was having with a Freddy file. I couldn't get WINRAR to extract, but IZARc does the job!
ip icon Logged

bakerman3

• Past Member
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 11:26:32 PM »

So when you use IZARc, do you still have to extract the inner file and add the cbr extension?  If so, I'm curious as to why your WINZIP doesn't work for that purpose as that's what I use and it works for me.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »

Some people have had their reader able to open files mislabeled from cbr to cbz or vice versa while my cdisplay has to have them right.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.