in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man  (Read 2485 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man
« on: August 04, 2020, 03:12:45 AM »

It's a great honour to be chosen as a guest contributor to the reading group but with almost 40,000 items to choose from, a daunting prospect!

DC are currently hyping the return of Amazing-Man to the hilt - to what purpose, one may ask (or perhaps even more than one - I imagine DC are hoping so)? Is it to do with the JSA? the All-star Squadron? an Extreme Injustice Society - or some other amazing extrapolation of AM's powerful sense of justice? Only time (and some gifted artists) will tell.

With all this up in the air, it seems a good time to revisit the original AM with an episode from the Centaur series chosen at random:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=57893

Hopefully, there's enough variety in there to attract your attention. Feel free to comment in all or in part - I shan't sleep until I receive your comments. Happy hunting!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:23:52 AM by Andrew999 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group No.225 - Amazing Man
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 03:47:20 AM »

Nice choice! I've had a quick look, and will come back some time later for a more thorough perusal and some comments.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group No.225 - Amazing Man
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 03:53:02 AM »

This should be Reading Group No. 226.  Reading Group No. 225 was the last book I chose 3 weeks ago.  The Comic Book Plus Reading Group isn't the 225th reading group on an Internet website, last month's was the 225th Book this reading group has discussed and reviewed.   ;D

Please change the number to "226".  I thought I was going to read a new post by you about "Columbia Comics 1!

And, thanks, Andrew, for joining us book selectors.  I hope this will be the first of many chosen by you.  The more different selectors, the more varied the types of books chosen (in theory).
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
Re: Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 06:25:14 AM »

oops - number changed
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 09:24:06 PM »

I think I first heard of Centaur Comics back in the '80s when Malibu tried reviving the characters and I was incredibly curious about this company and its books, so when I found the Digital Comic Museum and Comic Book Plus, Centaur was the first publisher whose works I read.

Also as a member of the Nitpickers Guild I nitpicked this issue at NitCentral (http://nitcentral.philfarrand.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi) and will repost a few of my old thoughts here that I think are appropriate/funny.  ;)

Cover - It's odd that for covers Amazing Man's costume is usually colored red, while inside it's usually blue. I assume the red was to grab the eye, so why didn't the editor just make the interior costume red as well?

Amazing Man -
Opening caption reads, "Zona Henderson the ace girl crime investigator"
Really? I thought she was a professional hostage? ;-)

"is now being forced into a large, black sedan by two kidnappers"
Zona Henderson in her normal Thursday routine. ;-)

Page 1, Panel 2. Aman is wondering what's holding Zona up?
You've known her since issue 11, obviously she's been kidnapped just like in every issue that you've known her.

The overeliance of Zona getting kidnapped (one issue had her kidnapped twice in the same story) lead to me referring to her as "Zona Henderson, Girl Hostage with the amazing power to make men kidnap her at a moments notice!"

Page 2, Panel 7. After the black sedan, which apparently is the one Zona was pulled into, has a drive-by shooting at Aman & tosses him a note saying "There is going to be trouble, keep out -- or your girl friend won't live!" Aman thinks, "There's no clues, or leads to work on!"
Well, maybe if you had turned invisible & flown after that car...

Aman is standing on a dock, picks up a submarine by the front end & picks it up out of the water.
Yeahhhhhhh... riiiiiiight... surrrrrrrrrrre...

Aman has gone to the freighter where Zona is being held hostage. After stopping the bad guys he uses the radio to contact the coast guard & tells them to come to 30 long. & 90 lat.
Those directions are to a point on land, Terminal Road, New Orleans, LA. One has to wonder how the crew of the freighter manages to get the ship their & how the Coast is going to come & pick them up.

Okay story.

Minimidget
Tota, the mayor of a lower level in the year 3000 uses humanoid robots to whip human workers to work harder.
You'd think using robots to do the actual work would be more efficient.

Okay if simple story.

The Iron Skull
Okay, the story is overly simple, the science beyond wonky and previous stories have shown the Iron Skull's body to be as invulnerable as his iron skull, but it's goofy enough to be entertaining.

Dr. Hypno
As mysteries go, the mystery is pretty much non-existent, as a proto-superhero, weird adventure... okay.

The Shark
The Shark & Father Neptune visit the island that Father Neptune told the Shark about last issue. They are looking at a skeleton hanging from a noose & Neptune says, "This is what happened to old Harris".
1. Smitty was the only character we saw hung last issue.
2. Given that the body has been reduced to just bones, one wonders why the bones haven't fallen to the ground yet?
3. The events of last issue's story happened in 1664. That's a looooooong time for those bones & rope to stay intact.

A few unanswered questions that might have improved the story if they'd been answered, but otherwise okay. Nice ink wash on the art. Is this the first such use in comics?

Death For One
Okay.

Mighty Man
Okay.

Reef Kinkaid
Page 6, Panel 7. The caption says it's a megalosaurus, but it looks more like the artist used a then current restoration of an iguanadon & made a few changes. Megalosaurus is usually drawn to look more like an allosaurus type dino.

Typical adventure type story.

Zardi
Uhhh... not good. Could really have used some rewrites, feels more like someone illustrated a summary of a story. "So he does this and this and this..."
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2020, 04:52:24 AM »

Not a comment on the book yet but this post belongs here.
DC are currently hyping the return of Amazing-Man to the hilt - to what purpose, one may ask (or perhaps even more than one - I imagine DC are hoping so)? Is it to do with the JSA? the All-star Squadron? an Extreme Injustice Society - or some other amazing extrapolation of AM's powerful sense of justice? Only time (and some gifted artists) will tell.

Well, DC took the name and used it for [4] new characters, 3 of which have in common that they are African American.
Which makes it clear why DC are currently interested in that character. Got no problem with that, but I do wish Marketing decisions weren't so transparent.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlTrGCRgCbs

Although a 1980s creation of writer Roy Thomas, the Amazing-Man published by DC Comics was placed in the 1940s and made a contemporary of various Golden Age superheroes. The character was created by Roy Thomas as a tribute to Bill Everett's Amazing-Man, a character he created for Centaur Publications during the so-called Golden Age of comics. Amazing-Man is the name used by four fictional characters published by DC Comics. The first three are African-American superheroes and are members of the same family. 

For the same reasons I think Isaiah Bradley has a good chance of showing up as  Captain America again and will meet Sam Wilson sometime.
The Full Origin Of Marvel's Isaiah Bradley ( First Black Captain America )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99N7un9IvPE

The character is depicted as an early product of the United States' Super-Soldier program (codenamed Project: Rebirth) during World War II and an alternate version of Captain America. He first appeared in the 2003 limited series Truth: Red, White & Black. He was created by Robert Morales, Kyle Baker and Axel Alonso.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2020, 07:14:20 AM »

The Iron Skull
Okay, the story is overly simple, the science beyond wonky and previous stories have shown the Iron Skull's body to be as invulnerable as his iron skull, but it's goofy enough to be entertaining.

Much more than just the skull had been replaced.
"The Iron Skull was originally a soldier who was gravely injured during World War II (which, in this timeline, was fought partially on American soil well into the 1950s). He was brought to Chicago, where Dr. Watson, a surgeon at "Chicago Hospital," worked to replace his flesh and bones with metallic components. The resulting cyborg was super-strong, resistant to bullets and capable of limited telepathy. His new face was missing a nose, giving him a skull-like appearance."

So Iron Skull is much like the Terminator only with a human mind and brain.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 08:38:34 AM »

Wow, I HAVE to get out more. Never even HEARD of Amazing Man before, let alone that DC wants him back in the bullpen...so, he starts out at Centaur, wearing this costume? What's his story? Super strong man from the mystical past? Science experiment like Captain America? And the writers get some sort of award for use of imagination for naming the characters...I mean, ZONA?? Aman? For a second I thought maybe the whole deal was imported from Egypt or some other near or middle eastern country. Can't decide if I LIKE the artwork...really different from just about anything else you can name..The closest I can compare it to is those Tijuana Bibles or religious comics three rungs BELOW Jack Chick. It held my interest though...Anybody else reminded of Max Headroom with IRON SKULL?
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 10:34:16 AM »

Amazing Man started off wearing regular clothes (series began with issue #5). He got his costume in issue 11 (Bill Everett's last, I think he did some fishman at another publisher.  ;) )

In the '80s or '90s Malibu tried rebooting the Centaur characters as The Protectors. I think that series ended with their Earth blowing up.

DC's various Amazing Man characters only had the name in common, being different characters with different powers.

Marvel's Iron Fist was supposedly inspired by Amazing Man and in the Immortal Iron Fist series one of the previous Iron Fists was apparently based on Amazing Man.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 10:41:22 PM »

Love Scrounge's run down on Amazing Man. I would just add crazy fun stuff of the times.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 12:33:54 AM »

Amazing Man started off wearing regular clothes (series began with issue #5). He got his costume in issue 11 (Bill Everett's last, I think he did some fishman at another publisher.  ;) )

In the '80s or '90s Malibu tried rebooting the Centaur characters as The Protectors. I think that series ended with their Earth blowing up.

DC's various Amazing Man characters only had the name in common, being different characters with different powers.

Marvel's Iron Fist was supposedly inspired by Amazing Man and in the Immortal Iron Fist series one of the previous Iron Fists was apparently based on Amazing Man.

He was also put in a concentration camp in Amazing Man Comics #8 (December, 1939), which I think makes this one of the earliest American comic books to show such a thing.

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 04:31:50 PM »

I must admit that I've never read any "Amazing Man" comic book.  So I'll be jumping into the middle of stories, not having the knowledge of what happened before in those stories, and the background setting information previously provided in panel art, narrative text, and character dialogue.

I'll start reviewing this book's stories one by one:

Cover
Amazing man being held in a deadly restrictive device is interesting, providing good suspense, and is a good vehicle for making the reader want to open the book and find out what happens to him.

Amazing Man
As is typical when the reader joins an episodical saga, it is a bit frustrating not knowing the backstory.  I wonder how Aman doesn't get cold at night and during winter, wearing so little.  Is one of his powers an internal warming source?  It was a bit difficult to follow the action.  Somehow, I feel that not enough information was provided to the reader.  Aman having a green fog he can travel in without being seen is an interesting device.  Overall, this wasn't all that interesting to me.  The artwork was okay, but nothing special.

Minimidgit
This story was much easier to follow.  A machine that can send people to other times is interesting, and the future dictatorship that uses robots to enslave an entire people is also a good scenario. Also, bringing the robot back to the present with the heroes for potential use in future episodes is a nice boost for the series. also providing a suspenseful ending, to make the reader want to read the following episode as soon as possible.

The Iron Skull
As a scientist, I find this very silly.  The Iron Skull has a transferable power.  People who want to communicate with him just need to concentrate in thinking about him for them to communicate with him through use of telepathy.  He has a skull made of iron, so an evil opponent can use that to transform his entire body into iron (by some magic process not explained).  The evil villain manufactures a magnet so strong that it can pull an iron-based object half way across The World, without affecting any closer iron-based objects.  Maybe there is already too much unexplained "magic" in this story.  I fear that there will be more.

This story DID produce one of the funniest panels I can remember - showing The Iron Skull's head attached to the magnet, with him struggling, trying to get free.   ;D

Despite all its silliness, this story was much easier to follow than the Amazing Man episode.  The artwork was very primitive, however.  Not an appealing attribute.

Dr. Hypno
The premise of this feature's series is very interesting - that an academic scientist, pychologist/criminologist can transfer his mind into the body of another person or animal to solve crimes and apprehend criminals.  This was a good (albeit short) episode with decent suspense.  I did have a problem that after the crooks decided to murder the girl, and Dr. Hypno breaks the door and enters the room, the crook who was already holding the gun, and pointing towards the door, wasn't able to fire it at Dr. Hypno, before Hypno came upon him, despite the distance from the door being at least 6-10 feet (if not more).  That would mean that he had maybe 3-4 full seconds.  If he was willing to kill the girl, risking a life sentence in prison, or the death penalty, he'd have nothing to lose by killing or severely wounding Dr. Hypno.  All in all, it held my interest.  And I look forward to reading more "Dr. Hypno" stories.

The Shark
"The Shark" looks like an interesting series.  it's difficult to jump into the middle of the story.  We have 2 Humans, with one of them named "Father Neptune"  (so, he may represent The Roman God of The Sea, and that may be why his son apparently has "super strength", which made him able to defeat 5 or 6 Martians, bigger than he, in hand-to-hand combat.  It's a little frustrating not knowing what species the green Earthlings are, and how they are related to Humans.  It's interesting that the scientist of the two uses a machine to bring Martians to Earth, and that those Martians want to kill ALL Humans, and conquer The Earth.  Neptune may well be an immortal being, given that he was already an adult almost 300 years before.  I also think it is unlikely that the skeleton of a hung victim would still be hanging. neatly, after almost 300 years.  Surely, predatory animals and scavengers would have grabbed and made off with pieces of the carcass. 

This is another story that makes me want to read the other episodes.

Death For One(Text Story)
A very good story scenario, given only 2 pages to complete it.  It is extremely difficult to set up a story situation (setting), then build up the action, while showing who the characters are, and develop some suspense, and have room left for a climax, and even a very short epilogue (if possible).  Story types are limited to coincidences, and the action practically jumping into a dramatic unusual climactic showdown scene, which is difficult to be unexpected, because there is little room for plot development, so in order for the reader to understand what is going on, he or she in most cases, must expect what will happen.  In the case of this story the reader guesses that Zona will be the victim and planned source of life for the dead woman, and the "mad doctor" has invited A-Man to watch his sidekick ladyfriend die to help him make history as the first man to bring a full day plus dead person back to life as an ingenious way to get revenge on A-Man for having captured him (and perhaps sent him to prison) when committing a crime some years ago.

Personally, it all happens too fast, and there is no surprise.  I'd rather have read a story using this plot, that would be a 50+ page short story in a full-fledged book of shocking tales, or in a regular comic book graphic novel of 32 pages+, where there would be room to establish the setting, develop the characters intertwined with developing the plot slowly, at first, building up suspense, and developing the mood from lighthearted to edgy, to macabre, as we see the evil in the heart of the villain being revealed gradually until the shocking climax.  I wouldn't waste it on something as "mundane" as a typical superhero story.  I'd use it for a Poe-style 19th century-type thriller.  And I'd use some of that extra room to have an unexpected twist or two at the end, so the emotions of the reader are yanked back and forth.

Mighty Man
A nice touch that Mighty Man, undercover, hi-jacked a truck that was planned to be hi-jacked by the villainous gang, and he cleverly got the two groups of gangmembers to kill off most of each's members/  This story just needed a clever undercover cop, rather than a superhero with super powers.  I never have been able to understand why anyone likes superhero stories.  Nothing to admire.  They have a big advantage over their adversaries.  It's much more impressive if normal people rise past their fears because they want good to triumph over evil, and they do their absolute best, risking their lives, and they are successful, or die trying.
This story, had some good ideas, but, unfortunately, the hero having super powers leaves little doubt about the outcome, and so it is relatively boring.  And it wasn't helped by its really poor, unprofessional-level artwork.

It would only be interesting if a superhero, who has superpowers, would allow tragedies to occur because of his own character flaws, and because of that, he'd be loved by some of the people and hated by others, and he'd brood over his missed opportunities to help society or his city because of temporary laziness or selfishness, and then, part of the time, be a drunkard, wading in his own guilt and remorse (a tragic character, who once-in-a-while rises to heights of heroism, but often is a morose, guilt-ridden drunk.

Reef Kinkaid
This adventure story had a nice lead-in to the main plot, with the realistic portion, of Kinkaid being interested in visiting "The Lost Valley", and his hiring a crew of natives of an Amazon-style jungle, sailing upriver.  The artwork, although not great, is the best of any of the stories in this book.  It's a typical "Lost Valley" story, where time hasn't moved in eons, and animals from The Jurassic and Cretacious Periods co-exist with large mammals from our time.  It would be nicer if the author and artist would have done some research, and not drawn a sabre-toothed cat with stripes like a tiger, and had drawn a so-called Megalosaurus as a large plant-eater.  It isn't clear at all, whether or not Kinkaid is a super-hero.  But, no normal man could have put a choke hold on a sabre-tooth cat.  When those animals existed, our small, weak ancestors had to be high in trees when they came around.  On the ground they wouldn't have had a chance to defend themselves, and would be run down, killed, and eaten, without exception, because they couldn't scamper anywhere near fast enough to get away.  It held my interest a little, but I don't think I'll look for the other episodes of this way too common fantasy story.

Zardi
I'm a scientist, and like to know the real reason why things happen.  So, I'm not a fan of magic as the "reason" for things happening in a story.  I'm very interested in the history of the ancient Middle East. But, I also don't like authors writing about things they don't know, and their writing without doing research, and artists drawing without doing research.  I didn't like the mixture of Hebrew, Arabic, and Roman characters that was supposed to by ancient Egyptian Hieratic writing.  It is interesting that Zardi is thousands of years old, and possibly immortal, through his knowledge of ancient Egyptian or Chaldean spells, and yet, he uses knowledge of martial arts to defeat criminals.  The art in this feature is pretty weak, as it ts in most of this book's stories.  This story held my interest somewhat, but its premise is a little too silly for my taste.

Overall Assessment:  This was definitely a book worth reading.  There are a few story episodes ("Dr. Hypno, and "Minimidget", "The Shark", that will get me to read the previous and following episodes. And, the text story, although not terribly well crafted (due to a totally expected ending), got me thinking so deeply about how it SHOULD have been handled, gives me a long story I want to write, myself, and publish in some form.  This is very unusual.  Usually, I labour over reading comic book text stories (rarely finishing them), and almost NEVER review them along with the drawn stories.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 07:54:38 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 05:17:27 PM »

It's a great honour to be chosen as a guest contributor to the reading group but with almost 40,000 items to choose from, a daunting prospect!

With all this up in the air, it seems a good time to revisit the original AM with an episode from the Centaur series chosen at random:

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=57893

Hopefully, there's enough variety in there to attract your attention. Feel free to comment in all or in part - I shan't sleep until I receive your comments. Happy hunting!

Feeling that way, why don't you become a regular book chooser.  We'd then have 3 of us in a rotation.  I hope we can add more, for more diversity in reading taste. 
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 08:30:25 PM »

Love Scrounge's run down on Amazing Man.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it.  :D
ip icon Logged

lyons

message icon
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 10:31:58 PM »

Love these early comic book characters.  Exceptional achievement goes to the writers and artists who managed to express creative skill and imagination while working under exhausting deadlines and a pauper's salary.  A good read.  Thanks Andrew. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 11:46:07 PM »

I'm bumping this current period's Book #226 back up to the top , so others who haven't commented yet on it will see it, and because Lyons and Superscrounge have commented recently, and I have finally finished my comments on the last stories in the book, which viewers may not know were added, because I add them as modifications, rather than making a new post each time, and that doesn't send the thread to the top again like a new post does.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 01:27:03 AM »

I never have been able to understand why anyone likes superhero stories.

Why do people like myths featuring gods and demigods? Superheroes are kind of an updated variation.

And it wasn't helped by its really poor, unprofessional-level artwork.

Martin Filchock did improve, later moving into comic strips and was a working cartoonist when he was 100 years old.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 01:55:07 AM »

I never have been able to understand why anyone likes superhero stories.

Why do people like myths featuring gods and demigods? Superheroes are kind of an updated variation.

And it wasn't helped by its really poor, unprofessional-level artwork.

Martin Filchock did improve, later moving into comic strips and was a working cartoonist when he was 100 years old.

Good for him!  I'm nearing my mid 70s, and still working on improving my drawing skills. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 05:26:01 AM »

Okay!
Cover> Anyone notice how much A-man looks like Everett's design for Namor?
A-man> If this art is indeed by Sam Glanzman, it must be one of the first things he ever drew. Looks nothing like his later art. Good quick start to the story. Count the cliches :-
Kidnapped Girlfriend, Hidden Room, secret submarine pen,  Criminal mastermind from the orient, Secret island, Tortured Hero. I Suspect Everett laid out the story.
Minimidget> Obviously part of a continued story. The story is script driven and the artist adds nothing to the work. Example - Illustration, ' We see a man walking out of a room' Dialogue, ' Look, the Mayor is going out of the room!' They use 'Big boy' Robot to free men from Slavery and then the last panel says, 'He's our friend and slave!' Huh?
Iron Skull> From this story, I have no idea of the Iron Skulls powers or backstory. That would have helped.
The device of having the whole of the action on page 2 be on a 'Video-screen' is creative. Also generic story-telling, Villains try to take out hero, fail, hero wins. Tune in next month. Having a supposed science-based story where in fact, the science makes no sense, is something that annoys me. 
Dr. Hypno> Well, this is Frank Thomas, who was better than average, and yes, this is much better.
Here Dr Hypno can use hypnotism 'To transfer his powerful mentality into the body of any living lower form!'
So he can become Animal man. And he transfers into a Bat. And becomes, [ahem!] a 'bat-man'?
The Shark> Very different art here. Any art I look at and know, 'I could draw that. Now.' is second-rate. And the dialogue is ridiculous. Why is the guy wandering around with a candid camera? We are never told.
So is this the source of the origin of Jon Jonzz, the man from Mars? 
'In a few seconds, men from Mars will arrive, ..... via airwaves, not by rocketship.'
'And the first words he spoke were in English, which was taught to him by this amazing scientist through radio!' Well - this is one of the few times in comics where that detail is acknowledged and dealt with.
[Q. What language do all the Green Lanterns converse in?]
Amazing Man Text 2 pager> Sorry I never read these.
Mighty Man> Paul Bunyon crossed with Minii-midget?  No comment.
Reef Kinkaid> by Bob Lubbers. Generic, Man goes into Jungle, Discovers lost world with dinosaurs, fights Sabretooth tiger and wins, tune in next month. Next!
Zardi- prince of Zandipore> Generic Mandrake Clone. But hey, I quite liked it.
The quality of newspaper strip comics was superb by this time, but the comic book industry was in its infancy and the publishers paid peanuts, so the work was what you might expect.
Thank you for the choice, Andrew, not one I would have made but that's the point.
To finish this post up, what goes around comes around.
Eric Larson created a new 'Mighty Man' for Savage Dragon' and the character also appears in Big Bang Comics. These are homages to the golden age. I won't tell you whom Mighty Man is a homage to, its pretty obvious.Oh! except that in Larson's version,its a woman who transfers into Mighty Man!
https://indyplanet.com/big-bang-adventures-2
If you haven't discovered Big Bang comcs yet, you really should.
Also if you look down the web page, you might see a few other familiar figures.
I won't spoil the surprise. 
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 07:32:05 AM »

Some great reviews in this month's reading group - thanks to you all.

Just a reminder if you haven't taken part yet, the deadline for this one is August 19th.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 07:45:10 AM »

Minimidget> Obviously part of a continued story. The story is script driven and the artist adds nothing to the work. Example - Illustration, ' We see a man walking out of a room' Dialogue, ' Look, the Mayor is going out of the room!' They use 'Big boy' Robot to free men from Slavery and then the last panel says, 'He's our friend and slave!' Huh?

Wow!! They start with only a paltry handful of pages to tell a complete story, and they waste a panel completely by drawing exactly what one of the characters is describing, and nothing more.  I'd have been fired by ANY of my editors, instantly If I did that in a story.  And we can't excuse it by trying to make the point that they were in the infancy of the comic book industry back then.  Pure, generic logic tells anyone with half a brain that you are working with an extremely limited amount of space for words and pictures, the combination of which will be used to tell a story, giving the reader the information to comprehend what is going on.    This sort of thing, along with the often weak and unprofessional artwork, shows us that the publishers who decided to jump on the perceived gold mine of the new comic book business, were so  determined to get established in that industry quickly, that they would accept ANY aspiring writers and artists, just to start getting product into print to not waste the current opportunity, which may not last long.  I guess the thought they'd pick up better writers and artists on the fly, when they could find them, OR that these young kids would get exponentially better as they would gain experience, and probably also thought that their market (mostly young boys up to early teens) weren't very discriminating in their taste, and were so starved for non-serious reading material, they'd buy anything.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2020, 04:21:47 AM »

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this month's reading group - I've enjoyed all of the terrific responses.

I'm not going to compete with those reviews - I'm far less expert on the Golden Age than many others here - but I will share with you some of the things I have liked and learned:

a) I've grown to love Sam Glantzman's work. There's an archness to it that harks back to an earlier period yet it contains the dynamism of the forties and fifties in moving the reader's eyes forward through the panels.

b) Zardi, the Prince of Zandipore, was a find for me - I love Mandrake-type stories and although this was a little crude in its presentation, I felt the character had great potential - particularly if he has lived since ancient times - stories could be set in any time or place.

c) I discovered Amazing-Man has emerged in several forms over the years

d) Best of all, I was introduced to New Golden Age comics, including Amazing-Man at Indycomics:

https://indyplanet.com/public-domain-fanzine-2

Check out the full IndyComics range too on their home page - Femme Noir is stunning but the whole output is mind-blowing

But don't forget the great work done by AC Comics too:

https://accomics.com/product-category/golden-age/

And then of course there's Dynamite - a different tone perhaps but still worthy:

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/infoDB.html?show=NS07290972721

e) I was then pointed in the direction of this different way of reading Amazing Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLib-Z3exD0

f) Not many heroes rate TWO wikipedia entries but A-Man does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing-Man_(Centaur_Publications)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing-Man_(DC_Comics)

So, there you have it - guest-leading the comic book reading group for a month is like having your brain force-fed on super-vitamins - it's not only what appears on the comments page, but the personal messages that come winging in with great references to chase - everything else takes a back seat.

If you are invited to take part, there's only one possible answer - YES!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2020, 04:34:41 AM »

Thanks to everyone for taking part in this month's reading group - I've enjoyed all of the terrific responses.

I'm not going to compete with those reviews - I'm far less expert on the Golden Age than many others here - but I will share with you some of the things I have liked and learned:

a) I've grown to love Sam Glantzman's work. There's an archness to it that harks back to an earlier period yet it contains the dynamism of the forties and fifties in moving the reader's eyes forward through the panels.

b) Zardi, the Prince of Zandipore, was a find for me - I love Mandrake-type stories and although this was a little crude in its presentation, I felt the character had great potential - particularly if he has lived since ancient times - stories could be set in any time or place.

c) I discovered Amazing-Man has emerged in several forms over the years

d) Best of all, I was introduced to New Golden Age comics, including Amazing-Man at Indycomics:

https://indyplanet.com/public-domain-fanzine-2

Check out the full IndyComics range too on their home page - Femme Noir is stunning but the whole output is mind-blowing

But don't forget the great work done by AC Comics too:

https://accomics.com/product-category/golden-age/

And then of course there's Dynamite - a different tone perhaps but still worthy:

https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/infoDB.html?show=NS07290972721

e) I was then pointed in the direction of this different way of reading Amazing Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLib-Z3exD0

f) Not many heroes rate TWO wikipedia entries but A-Man does:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing-Man_(Centaur_Publications)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazing-Man_(DC_Comics)

So, there you have it - guest-leading the comic book reading group for a month is like having your brain force-fed on super-vitamins - it's not only what appears on the comments page, but the personal messages that come winging in with great references to chase - everything else takes a back seat.

If you are invited to take part, there's only one possible answer - YES!

Feeling that way, would you be willing to be a regular along with Panther and me in a triumvirate and choose a book every 9th week?  The more the merrier, I say!
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2020, 08:39:16 AM »

OK so that's my reading material sorted for tomorrow. I'll share my thoughts after reading, for now I just want to observe that DC have recently shed many of their staff in the comics sector. Will this affect the hype and return of Amazing Man?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2020, 09:02:01 AM »

Just a hunch, but I suspect that DC's renewed interest in their Amazing Man comes from the Movie or TV side of things, in which case the goings-on at DC publishing won't be a factor. Stay tuned.     
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.