in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man  (Read 2484 times)

Electricmastro

message icon
Re: Reading Group No.226 - Amazing Man
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 07:32:20 AM »

Interesting how John Kolb interpreted a robot fight playing out in 1940:

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2020, 02:45:44 AM »

Here I am again, weeks late, catching up on the reading group.

Amazing Man #15 is a reasonably entertaining collection of so-so stories. I know I read the Bill Everett issues once upon a time but for the life of me I don't remember them, so I'll say this is my introduction to the character.

And as a first time reader, I'm confused. Who is this Aman guy? Other than the usual super endurance and super strength (I'll say--lifting a submarine by the stern with one hand!), his main power seems to be conjuring up a "green mist." When he "goes into" the mist he can travel and apparently becomes invisible. I like "The Great Question" as a character name, but we desperately need some backstory. Old comic book stories are full of handy coincidences and leaps of logic, and this one is upholds the tradition. By the way, does Aman have a double identity? Both crooks and police seem to know him. I notice only others call him "Amazing Man." Maybe that's a nickname given him by the press. Artwise, there's hardly a hint of Sam Glanzman's future style. It's typical GA Beginner art. Simple, nothing special but not awful.

Like Aman, Minimidget assumes we know all about the characters and about what happened in earlier issues. I presume this is a reboot episode, and that in future stories Minimidget and friend will tool around in a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot. The art is competent, buoyed up by borrowings from Raymond.

The Iron Skull is such a goofy concept that it'd be at home in a British comic paper. How could you not appreciate a hero who is trapped because his head is stuck to a giant horseshoe magnet? This seems like another reboot story, or at least a mid-course correction. Becoming all iron will increase his super powers, but he'll have to watch the liquid intake lest his stomach rust. Another meh art job.

Dr Hypno looks like a character from Italy's Gim Toro comics. Frank Thomas' art has an odd Caniff/Sickles vibe, but he never actually copies their style. I wonder if Hypno's taking over the bat was simply a deus ex machina device to help the story, or another mid-course adjustment to the hero's powers. I'm going to have to read early issues to figure all this out.

I'd love to know the outcome of the Uncle Joe Model Building Contest. Who was Uncle Joe, anyway? Chairman Stalin was too busy at this time to be running comic book contests.

The Shark is another continued story (I guess). Fortunately the writer gives us enough background to understand the plot. The story ain't much, but I like the characterization of Father Neptune as a scrappy old curmudgeon. The artist's lavish use of Craftint makes his drawings look much better than they really are. Of all the stories in this issue, this is the one that gave me the impression the creator(s) really strove to do something unique.

Mighty Man has a peculiar charm. I hand it to him, I would never have thought to enlarge my ears when held at gunpoint. The last panel is a treat..."Some higher power musta done this!"

Is Reef Kinkaid another mid-series reboot? This comic must have been having sales problems. Even in his early days you could tell that Bob Lubbers would grow into an excellent artist. His work is easily the best in the book. The bit about popping the ticks is obviously something the writer found in research and used for "authenticity."

What is that signature on Zardi, The Eternal Man? Shane? Stone? Steve? He lurches back and forth between a 20s-like "straight" style and bigfoot cartooniness. That fight scene is not to be believed. The magic cane gets old quickly. At least it's less obnoxious than Ibis' do-everything stick. With better story and art the character could have potential. Admittedly, the same could be said about dozens of Golden Age characters.

All in all I enjoyed parts of this comic, so reading it wasn't a total waste of time. I'm curious, though. It certainly reads like a "Okay, boys, we're overhauling the comic" issue. I must examine other issues to see if my feeling is correct.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2020, 03:44:11 AM »

Who was Uncle Joe, anyway?

Editor/publisher Joseph Hardie.

This comic must have been having sales problems.
I'm curious, though. It certainly reads like a "Okay, boys, we're overhauling the comic" issue.

Not sure about sales, but the company stopped publishing, I think, two years later, so...

As for the overhauling, that's probably because Lloyd Jacquet took a bunch of talent to form Funnies Incorporated, so the replacement writers and artists probably felt the need to retool things to match their ideas better.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2020, 08:25:21 AM »

The Iron Skull is such a goofy concept that it'd be at home in a British comic paper. How could you not appreciate a hero who is trapped because his head is stuck to a giant horseshoe magnet? This seems like another reboot story, or at least a mid-course correction. Becoming all iron will increase his super powers, but he'll have to watch the liquid intake lest his stomach rust. Another meh art job.

That made one of the funniest panels I can remember in a comic book!   ;D ;D ;D

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2020, 09:07:12 PM »

I think that Carl Burgos basically intended him to be a cyborg, in a way similar to his Human Torch and White Streak characters. He actually had his stories set in the near future in a timeline where World War II lasted into the 1950s. But yeah, I can agree that these ideas weren
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2020, 01:26:26 AM »

The Iron Skull is another PD character that has a life of his own.
Here is a novel.
https://thepulp.net/pulpsuperfan/2018/01/17/the-iron-skull-the-last-dominion/
It seems Marvel has a character called the Iron Skull in the TV cartoon stories, but I can't find much info on that.   
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 05:15:44 AM »

I know I'm late here. I agree with Crashryan. I felt the story was a decent, typical GA story with the frustration of not knowing who "Question" was. The art was fine although I felt the giants could have been drawn better. An enjoyable quick read.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2020, 07:08:58 AM »

The Iron Skull is another PD character that has a life of his own.
Here is a novel.
https://thepulp.net/pulpsuperfan/2018/01/17/the-iron-skull-the-last-dominion/
It seems Marvel has a character called the Iron Skull in the TV cartoon stories, but I can't find much info on that.

Also, what I feel is Sam Gilman
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2020, 07:59:47 AM »

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2020, 06:36:16 PM »

I also get the feeling Centaur was attempting to emulate Quality, or at least Lou Fine, during the last six or so months of Centaur
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.