in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Share your favorite song with us

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

topic icon Author Topic: Share your favorite song with us  (Read 18356 times)

ComicMike

message icon
Re: Share your favorite song with us
« Reply #175 on: January 13, 2023, 10:30:38 AM »

Frederick Nathaniel Hibbert, better known as Toots Hibbert:

Toots and The Maytals - 54-46 (That's My Number) - 1968/69

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztodSEn0E2E&ab_channel=TootsandTheMaytals-Topic
ip icon Logged

billbill

message icon
« Reply #176 on: January 13, 2023, 06:24:50 PM »

Well, not my favorite song exactly, but I was looking for this song many years and finally I found it yesterday! This feeling of satisfaction.

Jimmy Jimmy.... Silence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0T1MWp0VE5A
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #177 on: January 13, 2023, 10:05:26 PM »

BillBill, thank you!
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #178 on: January 26, 2023, 11:28:39 PM »

Many years ago I heard a song on the radio that I never forgot, decades later I found it again, long live the internet.  :)

An extraordinary song:

Kevin Coyne performing for a live audience in Koln, Germany (1979) -
Having A Party - from the 1979 album Millionaires and Teddy Bears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnCey2iwVss&ab_channel=WilGommans

ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #179 on: February 03, 2023, 10:26:53 AM »

Just heard on the radio:

Charlie Binger & His Quartett - Jamaica Is The Place To Go - 1955

https://youtu.be/kaD07zqe65U 
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #180 on: February 03, 2023, 09:03:45 PM »

Should you ever come to the north of Germany, sing a old german shanty and everyone will love you. 8)

Shanty Chor Hude - Wir lieben die Stürme - Matjestage Emden 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEsgOzcJGgc&ab_channel=HergenMeyer
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:10:04 PM by Comickraut »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #181 on: February 03, 2023, 09:45:13 PM »

Comickraut,

Old Vaudeville joke,
First guy, 'Where is your wife? '
Second Guy, ' She went to Kingston.'
First guy, 'Jamaica?'
Second Guy, 'No, She went of her own accord!'
[Boom! Boom!']

Thanks for the song.   
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #182 on: February 03, 2023, 09:56:13 PM »

This is the theme - although not the original cinematography -from Wim Wenders masterpiece , 'Paris, Texas'
one of my favorite films. Just came across the theme again recently. Greeted it like an old friend.
Ry Cooder - Paris, Texas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6ymVaq3Fqk&list=PLOKMpbyL5AcsiMt6gDk_gY9WvmAnICS1S

I am wondering, though, what was the Deutsch version -of the movie - like? 

ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #183 on: February 04, 2023, 04:14:05 PM »

Panther, thanks for the joke.  ;D

Unfortunately I can't say anything about the film 'Paris, Texas' at the moment, it's been too long since I saw it, but this is a good reason to watch it again.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #184 on: February 04, 2023, 06:06:58 PM »

Since I first heard it early '60's, this has been a great favourite of mine. Gene Chandler:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqEvcHKDlI8

One of the best Motown tracks, sadly neglected.  The contours.  So exciting:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-XH4QFieo
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #185 on: February 04, 2023, 09:25:07 PM »

good choices Paw. Do I take it that you are something of a Northern Soul aficionado? 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #186 on: February 05, 2023, 04:24:27 AM »

Since I first heard it early '60's, this has been a great favourite of mine. Gene Chandler:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqEvcHKDlI8

One of the best Motown tracks, sadly neglected.  The contours.  So exciting:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8-XH4QFieo

That's my second favourite Contours' song.  That long-time novelty group, known for their great choreography in their live appearances, formerly had a gravelly-voiced lead singer, Billy Gordon, from 1960-1965.  But, in early 1966, the former lead singer of The Falcons of "You're So Fine" fame, Joe Stubbs (The Four Tops' lead singer, Levi Stubbs brother) joined the group.  He was the lead singer on "just a Little Misunderstanding".  By the time of this video, Stubbs had already left the group.  The lead singer mouthing the words to Stubbs' voice was Jerry Green.

On that 1966 US TV show appearance by The Contours, that particular lineup of The Contours also lip-synched to my favourite Contours' song, "It's So Hard Being A Loser", which was led by their new lead singer, Dennis Edwards, who, soon after, left the group to join The Temptations, replacing David Ruffin as their co-lead singer.  Interesting that on that TV teen music/dance show, that The Contours' manager chose to put "rookie" new member, Edwards, an experienced dancer, in his own right, behind the other two non-lead singers while dancing, on "Just A Little Misunderstanding. That was to hide him in case of any slip-ups or not-so-good dancing, because he hadn't had time to rehearse much with them, after joining the group so recently.  I'm glad they had some shots from behind, so we could see him.  He seemed to be doing fine - right in step.

Speaking of Motown, Detroit Soul Music, and Northern Soul, I bet you didn't know that Superheroes (The Fantastic Four) sang for Motown Records to the super instrumental backgrounds of The Funk Brothers.  Here's an example from their first record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wemCc7N9QM

Here's the flip side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iq_saR5_hpQ

I loved Gene Chandler's songs, not only as a solo artist, but also with his group, The Dukays (who also backed him up (although uncredited) on "Duke of Earl".

Here's Gene leading them on "Nite Owl".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BL0fGB-j8A

Here's the group led by their other lead singer, Charles Davis (AKA Nolan Chance):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNBbxDco7E

Here's "It's So Hard Being A Loser" by The Contours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc-7a4HBRQA&list=RDjc-7a4HBRQA&start_radio=1
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:53:31 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #187 on: February 05, 2023, 07:55:30 PM »

I am in awe of your knowledge,  Robb.
I was and still am a fan of esrly Tamla  but there is so much of it I wasn't aware of. Thanks to you I can catch up with some of it.
Later Tamla doesn't appeal as much.  Later 4 Tops and Temptations - too serious and not as good fun music imo. Walk Away Rene is much better from The Left Banke, the original?
We'll have to dig into early British pop and beat. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #188 on: February 06, 2023, 03:49:18 AM »

I first heard and saw The Fantastic Four singing group soon after they started in Detroit in 1965.  I bought all their records while with Ed Wingate's Ric-Tic Records, and while with Motown, after Berry Gordy bought out Wingate's Golden World/Ric-Tic-Wingate Records mainly because Wingate was recording his records every night, with Motown's musicians "moonlighting", after they left Motown's studio at 6:00 or 7:00 PM. 

I learned about DC's "Fantastic Four" comic book superheroes, later sometime around the end of the 1960s, and wondered why Berry Gordy didn't sue them for stealing his singing group's name.  I found out only today, that those comic book heroes first book was published in 1961.  I was shocked to find out they were first.  I hadn't known about them, because I had stopped even looking at any superhero comics out of curiosity, in about 1953. 

The only time I crossed paths with Superheroes in my adult life (and career) was working the night shift for a small, independent, animation studio, in Los Angeles in 1995, while attending USA's cartoonist Union's animation school, doing digital painting and animation clean-up on a computer game using the "Mortal Kombat" characters.  I didn't like the art style.  It was way too angular to my taste.  But, at that time, computer images were very squarish, due to pixilation, due to very low screen resolutions.  It was good experience, however, as I worked on most of that series' different characters.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #189 on: February 06, 2023, 07:44:43 PM »

Once again, all new to me.  The re-use of a name happened herewith Quatermass being used for a group long after the rv show and films.
While you had not looked at superhero books for so long, I was steeped in them, including the stories from anthology weeklies.
But as I've said many times, I was also reading humour strips, Bash St Kids, Jonah, Perishers and so on.
Music. By the late '50's there was the embryonic British pop and beat scene and on TV we could see and hear Don Lang and The Frantic Five,  Vince Eager, Cuddly Dudley, Wee Willie Harris and in 1959, I heard Johnny Kidd And The Pirates for the first time - revelation.  After that, it was music, comics and later, girls.  Tamla, as it was called in Britain - Tamla Motown - was an eye opener also, at least the early stuff.
But all the while there was a plethora of American pop that I loved.  Still do.  Johnny and The Hurricanes, The Ventures, Del Shannon, Jan and Dean.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #190 on: February 07, 2023, 04:38:08 AM »

Once again, all new to me.  The re-use of a name happened herewith Quatermass being used for a group long after the rv show and films.
While you had not looked at superhero books for so long, I was steeped in them, including the stories from anthology weeklies.
But as I've said many times, I was also reading humour strips, Bash St Kids, Jonah, Perishers and so on.

Music. (1) By the late '50's there was the embryonic British pop and beat scene and on TV we could see and hear Don Lang and The Frantic Five,  Vince Eager, Cuddly Dudley, Wee Willie Harris and in 1959, I heard Johnny Kidd And The Pirates for the first time - revelation.  (2) After that, it was music, comics and later, girls.  (3) Tamla, as it was called in Britain - Tamla Motown - was an eye opener also, at least the early stuff.
But all the while there was a plethora of American pop that I loved.  Still do. (4) Johnny and The Hurricanes, The Ventures, Del Shannon, Jan and Dean. 

(1) I'm surprised that I have never heard of ANY of those UK recording artists.  We got mostly US records and singers, plus a few local Canadians, a few Aussies, and a few UK artists.  Those from The UK that I remember were: Cliff Richard, The Shadows, Tommy Steele, Lonnie Donegan, Petula Clark, Marty Wilde, Adam Faith, and Billy Fury.  Maybe records by those artists you mentioned above failed in The Canadian market, because they mainly sung covers and remakes of US artists' hits, and they had NO chance to chart, because our charts were so dominated by US artists, and the only room left was for a few Canadian artists? 

(2) I stopped caring about all but Carl Barks comics at about 13 years old in late 1959, but continued to buy just those Disney comic books that contained Barks stories.  I was much more into music, and, like you, and most of the rest of us, started to notice girls.  I got back into comics a bit, in 1965, when I moved to California to attend university, and wandered into The Collectors' Book Store, in which Malcolm Willits was auctioning off most of Barks' unpublished original drawings, which I had photostated and photo printed, to use as masters to photocopy to add to photocopies of all Barks' published comic book pages, in a hardbound, chronologically arranged, "Carl Barks Collection".  Willits introduced me to Barks.  I visited him at his home several times, and corresponded by mail.  He told me about the unpublished complete stories and unpublished drawn pages removed from stories before printing that still had not been found, and so, I tried to re-create them, drawing them in his style as best I could.  That work, later used by Dutch Disney publisher, Oberon, was my ticket into art school/animation school, and the cartooning field, starting in the late 1970s.

(3) Motown first had Canadian REO Records distribute their recordings in Canada from 1959-61.  Then, Canadian London Records in  late 1961.  Then Phonodisc of Canada issued them on Canadian Tamla Records from the start of 1962 through to the beginning of 1965, when the label name was changed to Tamla-Motown (with the same design as The UK, Holland, and all the Western European countries used. In 1974, Motown of Canada started, and ran until 1988.  So, we had Tamla-Motown  too.  I remember Motown being distributed in The UK, by  London, Fontana, Oriole, and Stateside, before Tamla-Motown started up in 1965.
I have all the US Motown and subsidiary 45s from 1959 through about 1972, plus most of the LPs. And I still have most of their Canadian releases from 1959-1965, plus many of their UK releases from 1960-67. 

(4) I bought most of the Johnny and The Hurricanes', The Ventures', Del Shannon's, and Jan and Dean's hits, as well as those of The Beach Boys, Fantastic Baggies, Bruce & Terry, The Ripchords, The Sunrays, and other "Surf" groups.  I bought some Rock-A-Billy music too, and a lot of American Blues records, and some of the Merseybeat group records (especially The 1962-64 Beatles, and The Searchers, and a couple Rolling Stones' records).  But I didn't like The British Blues groups much.  And I also bought lots of 1940s-1970s Jazz (Be-Bop, Cool Jazz, Avant Garde, and Latin Jazz, as well as American Folk, Delta, and Chicago Blues, and Black Gospel music.  But, my main collection is US Rhythm & Blues 1940-1960, and US Soul music 1960-1973.  I still supply rare records for remastering by London's Ace and Kent Records, for their high-quality CDs of US R&B/Blues/Soul/Gospel music, as well as editing and taking a last look at the blurbs on the CD information booklets, and providing label scans for them, when no good copies of those records are readily available from other sources.  Sometimes I write sections of the CD booklets in the areas of my expertise (especially Detroit and Chicago R&B and Soul music).  My collection is a resource for anyone who needs detailed esoteric historical information on the issues, record labels, recording studios, owners and company staff, musicians, etc.  I had hoped to put my collection together with a couple of my Dutch friends' Black American Music collections, into a non-profit "African American Record Museum", but neither The Dutch nor Zuid Holland, nor Den Haag governments could afford to sanction, put any money towards establishing it, or give us an existing office/commercial space in a building.  So, our plans went on hold.  And on of the collectors has died, and his records were sold off.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 06:43:08 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #191 on: February 07, 2023, 07:51:45 PM »

Over the last 40+ years, one of my recurring obsessions is obscure bands & songs by artists years before they got famous.  Like how I'm more fanatical about The Move than I am Electric Light Orchestra.

Right now, I've been playing stuff by The Syndicats, Four Plus One, The In Crowd, TOMORROW, Bodast... stuff involving singer Keith West (alias Keith Hopkins) and guitarist Steve Howe, before Howe joined YES.  And the first 3 YES albums remain among my favorites-- the first 2 both being before Howe joined.

I find it amusing that both guitarist Peter Banks and keyboardist Tony Kaye were fired from the group.  Banks was no great shakes, but Kaye's "limited" Hammond organ work sounded very "futuristic" to me-- even more so when he returned to the band (inadvertently) in 1983.  I've been reading about each YES album as I've been playing them, and it cracks me up how the use of an ORCHESTRA on their 2nd album eventually led to 2 of their members being booted out.

I think what happened to Tomorrow was a tragedy.  I love every song on their one album (more so since I assembled my own special edition with all the songs in an order that flow perfectly, unlike official comps where the extra songs are at the end as bonus tracks).  In early 1967, they were KICKING ASS, yet inexplicably, Parlophone insisted on SCREWING around with their album so much for so long, it was delayed being released by around a YEAR... by which time, music styles were already changing, making it seem insanely already "dated" when it came out!

And then you had BODAST-- not a bad song on the album-- but that was never released until 1981.  WTF?

That thing with TOMORROW reminded me of how Epic/CBS screwed over Rick Nelson in the late-70s.  He did 3 albums for them-- the first did merely okay, the 2nd, a more "experimental" thing, was never released, and the 3rd, a more "country-rock" effort, was delayed while the label kept screwing with remixes.  He appeared live on SNL to promote his new single  a cover of "Dream Lover"-- but thanks to Epic, it didn't get to stores until 2 weeks later, TANKING potential sales!

And then, they put out a 4-song EP as a "preview" of the album-- with several of the songs drastically remixed.  Rick got SO PISSED, he quit Epic right then and signed with Capitol.  His first of 2 LPs with them opened with a cover of "Almost Saturday Night"-- a BETTER version than he'd only just done for Epic.  When I realized that, I saw the track as his giving the middle finger to Epic.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:01:23 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2023, 12:23:05 AM »

It doesn't get any better than that. :-)

Steve Miller Band - Jet Airliner - Live at Pine Knob, Detroit, 1983.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxhG6KwI44U&ab_channel=therockandrolltv 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2023, 05:52:31 AM »

Good stuff, CK. Here's the original.

Paul Pena - Jet Airliner (The Original)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjr5U7g6aiA

Tailor made for Steve Miller, tho. 
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #194 on: February 22, 2023, 11:29:23 AM »

... Here's the original. Paul Pena - Jet Airliner (The Original)

Oh, thank you very much for the information, Panther, I didn't know that, I also didn't know the artist Paul Pena. I just read that he released a great album in 1973: New Train. I'll have a listen, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enm7VkAJQ5k&ab_channel=Hwangvis 
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2023, 03:16:48 AM »

Got to see Steve Miller live in his heyday. Great musician, but such an asshole! Had NO respect for the audience. Got pissed when people called out for some of their favorites. Musta been havin' a bad night... Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #197 on: March 07, 2023, 09:44:18 PM »

Yes, dear friends, be amazed and amazed, this is a German music group, okay, the band leader was an Englishman, a military man, but he went to Germany to realize his musical dreams. Later, feeling persecuted by the tax authorities, Les Humphries (the man at the piano) went insane and faked his own death...and finally...he died in 2007.

But his wonderful music has remained to this day. I'm going to post some songs from his band here and I hope you enjoy them.

Les Humphries Singers - Rock my soul (live in Germany, 1972)

(Okay, there was color TV in Germany in 1972, but this is a historical recording.  :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUQnel8Vv6o&ab_channel=MusicchannelChannelmusic 
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2023, 10:04:43 PM »

Les Humphries Singers - (We'll Fly You To) The Promised Land (German ZDF Silvester-Tanzparty, 31.12.1973)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QFfluGEyBA&ab_channel=LesHumphriesSingers   
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #199 on: March 08, 2023, 07:01:39 AM »

one of my favorite Deutsch artists, Inga Rumpf
["In the early to mid-70's Inga Rumpf was the singer in 2 great hippie/blues bands from Germany. First was FRUMPY and the second was ATLANTIS, both also featured the above listed keyboardist Jean-Jacques Kravetz. Both bands are on Youtube and worth checking out."]

Here with Frumpy, her first band. 

Frumpy - How The Gipsy Was Born (Live 1971)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvA62El_I9M

Here with Atlantis, the next band.
Atlantis (Inga Rumpf) - Get Up (live)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFubGa3la9o

INGA RUMPF - LOVE HURTS - LIVE IN DER FABRIK[2014]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy_jGV6SobE

In concert
Inga Rumpf & Friends live | Rockpalast | 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BGmYsIcgHs

enjoy!

ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.