in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Artist identification thread

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

topic icon Author Topic: Artist identification thread  (Read 10053 times)

Electricmastro

message icon
Artist identification thread
« on: September 23, 2020, 09:12:02 PM »

A thread for anyone wanting to identify which artists drew what comic art that was left uncredited, as is what tended to happen in and around the 40s, whether they be covers or comic stories.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Artist identification thread
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2020, 10:38:44 PM »

A thread for anyone wanting to identify which artists drew what comic art that was left uncredited, as is what tended to happen in and around the 40s, whether they be covers or comic stories.

As a "normal" thread, this will get buried quickly, and members who want to contribute to it won't be able to find it.  You'd better send a private message to Mark to have him make this into a "sticky" thread, which will have a bolded title and be placed among the other "stickies" with bolded titles staying above the current threads.
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 01:31:15 AM »

Thanks Robb. Anyway, I suppose I
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 02:18:16 AM »

For Action comic art, as opposed to funny animal, I can visually identify distinctives in the way artists draw Anatomy. I can't always verbalize what it is that helps me identify an artist, it seems to involve an automatic memory or 'instinctive' function. I can identify many artists instantly, others who are more generic, takes longer. The artists who are most distinctive and identifiable are usually the most creative and original thinkers.
There are also two types of Artists in comics. Those who are illustrators, whose strength is in just telling a story visually and those who are innovators and creators. These are the true 'Comic Strip' or 'Comic Book' Artists who saw the drawn visual narrative as a new medium and devised new approaches to it. So Jack Kirby and Will Eisner fall into this category. Burne Hogarth, [Early Tarzan] genius tho he was, is an illustrator.
And here is a gift for any budding artists who read this, A PDF on Dynamic Figure Drawing by Hogarth.
https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=dWNwLmVkdS5jb3xqdWFuZGF0dXxneDo0NmIxN2MzNGViZjgyMTkx

Great thread. More later. 
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 05:38:07 AM »

Speaking of Kirby, it
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2020, 09:08:58 AM »

Was looking over some Fox art and I think I was able to make a reasonably educated guess of one of the Flame stories as possibly having been drawn by Larry Antonette, the one in question being from The Flame #6 (August, 1941), under the pen name of
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2020, 11:25:02 AM »

Speaking of Kirby, it
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 05:43:26 PM »

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 04:31:34 AM »

Just noticed a
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 03:45:05 PM »

Possibly drawn by Ken Battefield (A Feature Presentation #5, April 1950):

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 12:13:32 AM »

Eagle 4 credited at GCD https://www.comics.org/issue/1926/
Feature 5 is also https://www.comics.org/issue/8209/

You can always check www.comics.org to see known art ID. If you believe they are wrong, or have unknown artists you can spot, please index them there
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 06:58:29 AM »

Eagle 4 credited at GCD https://www.comics.org/issue/1926/
Feature 5 is also https://www.comics.org/issue/8209/

You can always check www.comics.org to see known art ID. If you believe they are wrong, or have unknown artists you can spot, please index them there

Yeah, I actually mentioned those observations to them and they evidently agreed that my observations were educated enough to warrant edits.

Some feel say there was an artist named Ramona Patenaude, and that she
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 07:12:35 AM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »

https://www.comics.org/issue/294355/

Nikkey Gnome (signed as Guarnier) in Hollywood Comics #1 (Winter 1944).

This was drawn by was Lucifer Guarnier, born 21 July 1914 and died 29 December 2007. His father, apparently, had a strange sense of humor when he came up with the name. Lu Guarnier started his career at Warner Brothers in the 1930
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »

Sorry.  I am on the wrong thread!  Gremlins (or, maybe Nikkey Gnome) have taken me off the thread I intended, and placed me on this one when I was not looking for a second!   ::)
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 10:31:06 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 06:56:09 AM »

Lightning Comics #v3#1 (June, 1942) shows a signature signed as
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:09:06 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2020, 12:15:36 PM »

Born in Sac City, Iowa, Bruce Currie was a figure and still-life painter in modernist styles.  He was long-time active in New York state, where he lived in Woodstock with his artist wife, Ethel Magafan, and daughter Jennie.  They plus extended family were regarded as part of the "old guard" of the Colony.  Ethel's twin sister, Jenne, and Jenne's, husband, Eduardo Chavez, also lived there and both were artists.  Years later, the family members living near each other and working together were described by Ray Steiner from childhood memories as being a "clan---a special group of people who shared not only a love of art, but also a love of life and nature."  Their work are classic examples of Mid-Century Modernism in American art of the 20th century.
ip icon Logged

mopee167

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2020, 06:19:40 PM »

Born in Sac City, Iowa, Bruce Currie was a figure and still-life painter in modernist styles.  He was long-time active in New York state, where he lived in Woodstock with his artist wife, Ethel Magafan, and daughter Jennie.  They plus extended family were regarded as part of the "old guard" of the Colony.  Ethel's twin sister, Jenne, and Jenne's, husband, Eduardo Chavez, also lived there and both were artists.  Years later, the family members living near each other and working together were described by Ray Steiner from childhood memories as being a "clan---a special group of people who shared not only a love of art, but also a love of life and nature."  Their work are classic examples of Mid-Century Modernism in American art of the 20th century.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 06:25:53 PM by Electricmastro »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2020, 07:00:36 PM »

Yes, she even has a Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethel_Magafan
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2020, 07:29:29 PM »

ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2020, 07:38:28 PM »

There's another blog post about Bruce Currie here:

https://rjsteiner.wordpress.com/2011/03/12/passing-of-another-woodstock-legend/#comments

Thanks! Also, at GCD, it was pointed out to me that there was a Bruce Currie credit referenced in a humor cartoon mag from 1940: https://www.comics.org/issue/1525710/

And that it
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2020, 04:20:28 PM »

For what
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2020, 05:38:02 PM »

Perhaps not necessarily a story whose art not as many people are curious as to who drew it in the first place, though for some reason it has still made me wonder who exactly the
ip icon Logged

Electricmastro

message icon
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2020, 09:05:28 PM »

Somewhat eligible signature from Boy Loves Girl #53 (August, 1955), which I think reads something like
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2020, 12:56:09 AM »

Seems to me to be "B--de(r)myer". Pretty sure of the "myer" part. Wish I had a printed copy to put under the Atomic VizoSpaceagraph for analysis. I couldn't come up with comics artist names that fit the template.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.